No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,861
    RedNine wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    I think it's just another proof that, while I appreciate what Michael and Barbara did for Bond during their tenure, they just aren't great at producing movies of this size. This delay is just another symptom of their shortcomings in this regard- their inability to create a cohesive plan for the franchise, inability to stick to dates (on top of their inability to learn from their mistakes like giving too much creative control to people like Mark Forster or Lee Tamahori). The way they handled those pandemic delays is just so like them- intially not even acknowledging the fans, seemingly improvising their way through the whole thing, wasting more and more resources just because they can not because it leads to something (just like Spectre explosion and the budget issues as a whole). At this point I really hope that there will be some changes in the future on a producing level- at least allow another voice in the room

I may be wrong, but I suspect Michael and Barbara don’t distribute the films: the film distribution companies do. So United Artists and Universal will be making these decisions, not necessarily Eon.

They are the producers and hold the rights, they are in those meetings, their names are in the announcements and while they obviously are not the only people influencing the decisions, they still hold some responsibility for them and this time I just found this situation where they share some of the blame to be very similar to some of the situations in the past where they held even more responsibilities.

I get that they put their name on it as the owners of Bond, but I'm not sure that they distribute these films: I wonder if they even could tell Universal to release it if Universal decided not to.
    TripAces wrote: »
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    FWIW, if Biden wins the U.S. presidency in November, Craig's films will span four consecutive presidencies, the most of any actor.

And he would have no films released during the Trump era. A silver lining

Ah. You know? I had not considered that. Good point!

You made the impossible. You made me really support this delay. Wow. Well done. Thank you :D
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    edited October 2020 Posts: 630
    I think it's just another proof that, while I appreciate what Michael and Barbara did for Bond during their tenure, they just aren't great at producing movies of this size. This delay is just another symptom of their shortcomings in this regard- their inability to create a cohesive plan for the franchise, inability to stick to dates (on top of their inability to learn from their mistakes like giving too much creative control to people like Mark Forster or Lee Tamahori). The way they handled those pandemic delays is just so like them- intially not even acknowledging the fans, seemingly improvising their way through the whole thing, wasting more and more resources just because they can not because it leads to something (just like Spectre explosion and the budget issues as a whole). At this point I really hope that there will be some changes in the future on a producing level- at least allow another voice in the room

I may be wrong, but I suspect Michael and Barbara don’t distribute the films: the film distribution companies do. So United Artists and Universal will be making these decisions, not necessarily Eon.

They are the producers and hold the rights, they are in those meetings, their names are in the announcements and while they obviously are not the only people influencing the decisions, they still hold some responsibility for them and this time I just found this situation where they share some of the blame to be very similar to some of the situations in the past where they held even more responsibilities.

I get that they put their name on it as the owners of Bond, but I'm not sure that they distribute these films: I wonder if they even could tell Universal to release it if Universal decided not to.

No, what i'm saying, and it's the 3rd and last time i do It, Is that for Them to promote the Bond Watch before or After the movie Is out Is exactly the same. It's not the movie that pushes the Sales. It's the Bond character, with or without a movie.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    The music video was only to give something. What will there do with the soundtrack, should get new back cover atleast.

Calvin comment

Curious what hazzard and Dutch Bondfan wil say.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

No, what i'm saying, and it's the 3rd and last time i do It, Is that for Them to promote the Bond Watch before or After the movie Is out Is exactly the same. It's not the movie that push the Sales. It's the Bond character, with or without a movie.

Not actually true though. Of course the movie pushes sales. Ask the folk who have bought it.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy

No, what i'm saying, and it's the 3rd and last time i do It, Is that for Them to promote the Bond Watch before or After the movie Is out Is exactly the same. It's not the movie that push the Sales. It's the Bond character, with or without a movie.

Not actually true though. Of course the movie pushes sales. Ask the folk who have bought it.

Still not Reading. No difference doing It before or After the movie.
    And also, you don't buy a 8k Watch for a movie. Not the majority of their Sales anyway
  • M_Balje wrote: »
    The music video was only to give something. What will there do with the soundtrack, should get new back cover atleast.

Calvin comment

No one cares what this spastic ponce has to say.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    M_Balje wrote: »

Calvin comment

What's wrong with you?
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland

Calvin comment

I care. I enjoy listening to what he has to say, and have done for years.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited October 2020 Posts: 3,157
    Yes a novel would be good. Mr Horowitz is very busy though I guess.

Yeah, I took a look at his Wikipedia page a few days ago and I saw many writings of his coming out this year and next year. Which is a shame since I enjoyed Trigger Mortis and loved Forever and a day. But there's plenty of other writers out there who could write an excellent Bond novel.
  • This whole thing is just stupid, ridiculous and depressing at this point.

At least DaltonCraig007's wish came true.
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming

Calvin comment

What's wrong with you?

I'm guessing "everything"
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited October 2020 Posts: 4,247

Calvin comment

What's wrong with you?

Indeed. That wasn't nice to hear.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England

Calvin comment

What's wrong with you?

I'm guessing "everything"

Yup.
    Is it safe to assume someone has come back under a different alias? Same vitriolic rhetoric agains the Broccoli and all.
  • RedNineRedNine Poland

I doubt they have this much power but I am not even bothered about the delay itself as much as about the way they handled it. They definetely could influence a way the marketing was released and when it was released, which is a much bigger issue here. Even if it's just optics, you don't exactly look competent when in the same day you release a new commercial with November date you also announce another delay.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I can't believe we're going through this f-you EON and Barbara thing again. Seriously? Stuff like this annoys me more than any delay could.
  • The light I could see at the end of the tunnel has withered away. I was so excited to see this film. I lost my dad to cancer in July and had to work on the front line in the NHS. This year has felt like an endurance test. A real moment of rare joy has slipped away yet again.
    I kind of hope this spells the end of cinemas. There's something almost anachronistic about them in this age of streaming.
    I know it's a first world problem, but I'm gutted. This represented hope and the promise of relative normality too.
    I think we all need to calm down. Calvin Dyson is a great bloke. He has an opinion, which I guess everyone is free to like or dislike but let’s not resort to name calling. Especially using such derogatory terms!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Still not Reading. No difference doing It before or After the movie.
    And also, you don't buy a 8k Watch for a movie. Not the majority of their Sales anyway

I'm not in Reading, no. Not even Berkshire.
    And yes, you really do. Again, ask someone who bought one.
    (What happened to it being the last time you said it?)

I'm guessing you graduated recently?

I doubt they have this much power but I am not even bothered about the delay itself as much as about the way they handled it. They definetely could influence a way the marketing was released and when it was released, which is a much bigger issue here. Even if it's just optics, you don't exactly look competent when in the same day you release a new commercial with November date you also announce another delay.

So what do they do? Delay another day? Leave it for a week with all of their licensees taking more pre-orders, their other tie-ins getting closer to publication, letting Craig and Eilish promote it on a talk show? Should they go back in time and stop the materials being released before they made the decision? This will be blow-by-blow stuff, it's not easy and it won't be smooth: it's like berating the pilots for lowering the landing gear before they made an aborted landing.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 1,314
    Eon, Barbara, you have no idea the anger you've awakened in the 007 fan family. As i possted in another thread, Covid already has us on the ropes and Barbara and EON just keep punching. One delay. After another. Will we heal in time? Is it too late? We deserve to be treated better, we're the ones that buy the Omega watches. We are the ones that buy tuxedos so we can emulate our hero, James Bond. We bought the tapes. The dvds. The blu rays. The 4Ks. We deserve some consideration. I strongly recommend Kevin Feige brought in, to bring some order to EONs house. If Barbara needs to step down, so be it. But I believe EON needs to be under some heavy scrutiny, by Hollywood and Washington. Rant over.

Sigh...
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 6,665
    it's like berating the pilots for lowering the landing gear before they made an aborted landing.

That's a very apt metaphor for it. Well done.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Walecs wrote: »
    Yes a novel would be good. Mr Horowitz is very busy though I guess.

Yeah, I took a look at his Wikipedia page a few days ago and I saw many writings of his coming out this year and next year. Which is a shame since I enjoyed Trigger Mortis and loved Forever and a day. But there's plenty of other writers out there who could write an excellent Bond novel.

Yes there probably are but I must admit I do like him doing them and it did take a few slightly aborted attempts to find him! Plus I imagine he may well bring his own readers too.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 6,665
    One thing. What are they doing next Monday? Craig and Eilish were set to appear on The Tonight Show. What about now? Is that a no go?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Univex wrote: »
    One thing. What are they doing next Monday? Craig and Eilish were set to appear on The Tonight Show. What about now? Is that a no go?

I'd say it's probably going to be postponed now. Seems a bit pointless.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    The hostility of some of the Facebook comments is astounding. You'd think Barbara and Michael created the virus themselves.
  • RedNineRedNine Poland
    Is it safe to assume someone has come back under a different alias? Same vitriolic rhetoric agains the Broccoli and all.

With all due respect I think that criticising producers for failing to meet the dates, taking ages to produce movies, allowing a movie like Die Another Day to be released in the shape it was released or borrowing a plot point from Austin Powers, wasting the resources is a bit more fair criticism than saying stuff like Barbara is in love with Daniel. She can't be immune to crticism because her father did so much for the franchise. I appreciate her work but at the same time we have to acknowledge that she and Micheal made some mistakes along the way and that they do not deliever in some of the areas as well as people on their positions should be. But sure, call me a troll without actually responding to anything I wrote, why not

With all due respect I think that criticising producers for failing to meet the dates, taking ages to produce movies, allowing a movie like Die Another Day to be released in the shape it was released or borrowing a plot point from Austin Powers, wasting the resources is a bit more fair criticism than saying stuff like Barbara is in love with Daniel. She can't be immune to crticism because her father did so much for the franchise. I appreciate her work but at the same time we have to acknowledge that she and Micheal made some mistakes along the way and that they do not deliever in some of the areas as well as people on their positions should be. But sure, call me a troll without actually responding to anything I wrote, why not

I don’t think he’s talking about you
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I wonder to what extent the President's sudden condition was the straw that broke the camel's back.