The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    QBranch wrote: »
    What side do Bond and Vesper enter the Grand Canal on? Northwest or Southeast?
    Southeast.

Thank you.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Anybody knows the history of this picture?

fpujkbqebnxq.jpg

Did they call Eva for this picture in 2008? Is it from 2006 and was not used in CR?
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I don’t know the history but likely it was made for production in QOS and not CR because they hadn’t cast Yusuf Kabira. It could have been taken for real, they jut called her up and she did it, or it could be photoshopped. Also I believe I read somewhere that Eva green signed a two film contract because Purvis and wade had ideas of having flashbacks or nightmares in QOS at one point, so it’s not like getting her back for a photo would be a problem.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Doubt it was taken before QOS production, but who knows? Just to add, on screen there is a second photo underneath, with Vesper facing Yusef, her arm around him.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    One question I have from just watching Octopussy again is, who exactly is Kamal Khan? What's the nature of his relationship with Octopussy? And what is he motivated by, why does he seem to want to set off a nuclear bomb? Orlov has a clear motive but Khan- is he motivated by money or politics? Even once Orlov is out of the picture (although, granted, Khan doesn't know he's been killed) he's still devoted to setting off the bomb, but I don't know why.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    thedove wrote: »
    Just posted this in another thread. Why does Stromberg need the Super Powers to blow each other up to create his underwater city? Why not just go ahead and build it. I don't believe countries own the ocean floor. If he successfully creates the war he is triggering how or who will help him build the new world under the sea?

Couldn't he had achieved his aims without a world war?

That's a good observation @thedove Stromberg really has no reason to start WW3 other than it gives the film a reason to be. Maybe if Stromberg was Blofeld as originally intended, then starting WW3 would be a more understandable threat.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 14,934
    Benny wrote: »
    thedove wrote: »
    Just posted this in another thread. Why does Stromberg need the Super Powers to blow each other up to create his underwater city? Why not just go ahead and build it. I don't believe countries own the ocean floor. If he successfully creates the war he is triggering how or who will help him build the new world under the sea?

Couldn't he had achieved his aims without a world war?

That's a good observation @thedove Stromberg really has no reason to start WW3 other than it gives the film a reason to be. Maybe if Stromberg was Blofeld as originally intended, then starting WW3 would be a more understandable threat.

It's a good point: I guess his angle is he wants the whole world to be like that and to have no-one trying to stop him. He is mad, so I guess that gives us a bit of leeway for his plan not to make sense! :)
    I guess they should really have had him trying to melt the ice caps and flood the entire world: that would align a bit more with his motivations and give him a reason to try to destroy the world.

If he'd been Blofeld in this film it would actually have been pretty cheeky: for better or worse McClory did own Thunderball at this point, and the plot of TSWLM is really just a bigger version of TB as it is (Largo steals nukes and puts them in his yacht, Stromberg steals nuclear submarines and puts them in his tanker)! :)
    Here's one that came to mind when watching OHMSS he other day :

Who are those two thugs who try to abductTracy during the pre-credit scene ? I doubt that they are working for Marc Ange Draco, seeing as how they treat Tracy (I mean, threatening your employer's daughter is just not done). So, if they're not from the Union Corse, who are they ?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Pretty sure they do work for Draco, don't they?
  • DraxCucumberSandwichDraxCucumberSandwich United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »
    I guess they should really have had him trying to melt the ice caps and flood the entire world: that would align a bit more with his motivations and give him a reason to try to destroy the world.

I don’t think that would work for Stromberg. All that extra fresh water from the melted ice caps would stuff up the salinity levels and the Ocean currents would be nerfed. That would play havok with his beloved marine eco systems.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes good point.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Another on the subject of Kamal Khan's mysterious motives: why does he kidnap Octopussy at the end? They're flying out of the country, what's his plan?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Does anyone know what word General Medrano shouts several times in Spanish as Bond and Camille flee in the boat in QoS?
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what word General Medrano shouts several times in Spanish as Bond and Camille flee in the boat in QoS?

"¡Síganlos! ¡Rápido! ¡Vamos!"

"Follow them! Quickly! Come on!"
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

"¡Síganlos! ¡Rápido! ¡Vamos!"

"Follow them! Quickly! Come on!"

Once again, thanks for the assist! I caught both 'rápido' and 'vamos' but that first word was throwing me off, sounded like 'reganlos' or something. I appreciate it.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Do we have a thread where we can list all sentences/words spoken in foreign languages? Would be cool. Grouped by languages, films and always translated by someone who speaks the language. Has anyone an idea which foreign language is used the most in the Bond films? I would love such trivia.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Thanks @Gerard.
    Sean's death today got me thinking: Do we have a thread where we keep a list of all the Bond actors that died by year? How many have we lost this year?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Does John Glen cameo in Octopussy? I think he is the signal operator who switches Bond to the other tracks when he is pursuing the train in the car.
    ht7zwxp3n2yc.jpeg

Whilst the actor in question does bear a resemblance to John Glen, as seen in the screenshot. It’s not him.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    True. Glen during OP didnt have a moustache, though thats hardly evidence to the contrary.

waye_octopussy.jpg?w=2000&ssl=1

Glen’s in the middle.
    It's clearly not John Glen. Move on.
    Could someone good with After Effects here explain how this was (maybe) done? It doesn't look like the guy is responding to comments anymore and I couldn't find other means of contact.

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Was M Bond's Mother?
    No.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    M was Silva's mommy.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2020 Posts: 17,787
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Was M Bond's Mother?

No, though that was interestingly what the young Ian Fleming called his stern and overbearing mother. It is believed to be where Fleming got the idea for referring to the fictional Head of the British Secret Service as M in his books (as opposed to C which is the actual designation in the real world).

This theory on the origins of M in the novels was propounded by John Pearson in his 1966 biography of Fleming and, to my mind, it still holds true today. Pearson knew Fleming well as they had worked together at the Sunday Times where Fleming was the Foreign Manager.

M was an authority figure to be feared and respected in Fleming's youth, adolescence and indeed throughout his whole life. His father had been killed when the boy Fleming was just 9 years old during WW I in 1917. In fact, his mother died in the month prior to his own death in August 1964.
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 848
    I was wondering, how to recognize Ian Fleming editions that uncensored and with the UK text ? What are theses editions ? What covers they have ?

- Penguin editions seems to be it ?
    - Vintage (2012) I don't know (knowing that the 2017 have been butchered : https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/17611/literary-bond-in-2017/p2 )
    - Folio society seems to be intact ?
    mtm wrote: »
    One question I have from just watching Octopussy again is, who exactly is Kamal Khan? What's the nature of his relationship with Octopussy? And what is he motivated by, why does he seem to want to set off a nuclear bomb? Orlov has a clear motive but Khan- is he motivated by money or politics? Even once Orlov is out of the picture (although, granted, Khan doesn't know he's been killed) he's still devoted to setting off the bomb, but I don't know why.

Holy Crap. I never thought of this. Yes what is his motive?