NTTD & Corona

Comments

Either way, how many theater chains do we think can survive staying open for 9 weeks with no new content?

There are not only US- or UK-movies to show.
    Here in Germany theatre re-opened in May and June, and lots of distributors released movies from South America, from Asia, from Africa, and from Europe, of course. Every week there were like 10 new movies out.
    Of course not one of those movies became a big hit - but all movies together kept the theatres running, while they were waiting for new German- und US-Mainstream-Movies.

And don't start with "Americans don't like dubbed movies, and they don't want to read subtitles aswell" - one misses so much, if the only culture one consumes is the own culture.
    American distributors and cinemas should get all those wonderful movies from all around the world.
  • RedNineRedNine Poland
    Well, Poland also re-opened theatres around june and while they are still open and some new movies are shown, there is definetely much much less people going to cineams, usually around 3/5 people per showing. The question is how long can cinemas survive with having those numbers of people around
  • tonesmalones09tonesmalones09 Minneapolis
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    Either way, how many theater chains do we think can survive staying open for 9 weeks with no new content?

There are not only US- or UK-movies to show.
    Here in Germany theatre re-opened in May and June, and lots of distributors released movies from South America, from Asia, from Africa, and from Europe, of course. Every week there were like 10 new movies out.
    Of course not one of those movies became a big hit - but all movies together kept the theatres running, while they were waiting for new German- und US-Mainstream-Movies.

And don't start with "Americans don't like dubbed movies, and they don't want to read subtitles aswell" - one misses so much, if the only culture one consumes is the own culture.
    American distributors and cinemas should get all those wonderful movies from all around the world.

While I agree that us Americans could use more foreign cinema in our theaters, I don't think that foreign films are going to get people back in the cinema, especially when a new Christopher Nolan film didn't. What's been proven (I think) is most Americans aren't ready to return to the cinema yet. Our country didn't handle the pandemic well and going to communal indoor spaces doesn't feel safe. Theaters will only return to profitability when the average theater-goer feels safe to do so, not just hardcore film lovers. The fact that the average theater couldn't cover it's own operating expenses in the second weekend of a brand new Christopher Nolan film's box office seems to back this up. I don't see how that changes in the coming months leading up to NTTD's impending release date
    I understand that.
    That's a huge psychological problem.
    Because most scientists in Europe say, that going to the movies is one of the most safe things you can do now. Because of perfect ventilation, because of distancing, because of almost no talking ...
    Over here some countries already discuss to reduce the distancing rule.
    And let's face it: there are no news of infections coming from theatre visits.
    And a second truth: Corona will NEVER ever go away. Not next year and not in 50 years.
    There will always be a risk, even with a vaccine.

I just found out: over the last 4 weeks more people went to the movies in China than during the same time last year: 108 million admissions. No new cases. In Europe admission numbers are not that high, but as I said I haven't heard about a single outbreak in a theatre.

It's like Asia and Europe is testing the whole going to the movies thing for months now, and nothing bad happened. But even that is not enough good news for the US to go back to the cinema.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Zekidk wrote: »
    I just don't agree with you that 200 mio in two weeks internationally is a disaster. Of course it would probably have made at least 300 already if there wasn't a pandemic. But given the circumstances I would say that 200 mio in a couple of weeks is pretty decent.
    Many are even going to see it twice in the theatre because they had a hard time understanding what was going on the first time :-) So...let's see in a couple of months where it stands.

Tenet is actually killing cinema chains in the USA. I fail to comprehend how anyone can defend the film's box office when it is doing so badly that theaters are losing money just by showing it.

And as I said: $200 million world-wide given the pandemic is a strong number. $200 million world-wide on a $200 million is a financial disaster. It's time we stop kidding ourselves and accept the fact that releasing a big budget film during a pandemic was a stupid idea. It won't come close to making its budget back, and in countries like the USA not enough people are ready to return to cinemas anyway.
  • tonesmalones09tonesmalones09 Minneapolis
    I just don't agree with you that 200 mio in two weeks internationally is a disaster. Of course it would probably have made at least 300 already if there wasn't a pandemic. But given the circumstances I would say that 200 mio in a couple of weeks is pretty decent.
    Many are even going to see it twice in the theatre because they had a hard time understanding what was going on the first time :-) So...let's see in a couple of months where it stands.

Tenet is actually killing cinema chains in the USA. I fail to comprehend how anyone can defend the film's box office when it is doing so badly that theaters are losing money just by showing it.

And as I said: $200 million world-wide given the pandemic is a strong number. $200 million world-wide on a $200 million is a financial disaster. It's time we stop kidding ourselves and accept the fact that releasing a big budget film during a pandemic was a stupid idea. It won't come close to making its budget back, and in countries like the USA not enough people are ready to return to cinemas anyway.

This. I don't see how NTTD will be successful in its current release date. I think swallowing another $20-$30M in marketing costs might be more cost effective than releasing a movie that has no chance to make back it's budget.

Also, this is their doing. They chose to ramp up marketing before seeing how Tenet did. Other studios/films didn't make that same mistake.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So much drama.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    mike-meyers-love-guru.jpg
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    So much drama.

True.
    drama-drama-overkill-everywhere.jpg

Tenet is actually killing cinema chains in the USA.
    And it's keeping theatres alive internationally.
    that releasing a big budget film during a pandemic was a stupid idea.

My local theatre operator strongly disagrees.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    And it's keeping theatres alive internationally.

This is called 'whatsaboutism' and shows you refuse to admit Tenet is doing so catastrophically bad in the USA that it is killing theaters. But you can continue to ignore the US box office as it doesn't fit the narrative that Tenet is helping theaters. If it were the case, Wonder Woman* and Black Widow would not have been delayed within weeks of Tenet's appalling opening weekend numbers.
    that releasing a big budget film during a pandemic was a stupid idea.

My local theatre operator strongly disagrees.

Again, just because Tenet is doing good in your country or in your local theaters does not mean Tenet's world-wide numbers aren't in flop territory.

----

It's as if people just won't admit that the Tenet experiment failed. Tenet is doing so bad in the USA that it is killing theaters. Tenet's international numbers are nowhere near enough to avoid the film being a $200 million flop.

Anyway, there is no point in continuing an endless back-and-forth discussion when actual data & facts are being ignored because they don't fit the narrative that some have in mind.

* If Tenet's staggered release was actually successful, WB would only have delayed Wonder Woman domestically. As it stands, they delayed its release dates in every country, proving that the international box office isn't doing well enough for a big-budget film.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 3,164
    * If Tenet's staggered release was actually successful, WB would only have delayed Wonder Woman domestically. As it stands, they delayed its release dates in every country, proving that the international box office isn't doing well enough for a big-budget film.
    I don't think that's as much because the experiment isn't working internationally - it's the same thing that Tenet faced a couple of months ago, they just cannot imagine opening a movie like WW84 months ahead of the US in other countries. And then effectively all they've done for Tenet is just take a crack at the state of the US and what's open there at that point in time. The 'stagger' was only a week.

The only blockbuster that can get away with that - be it a longer stagger or just letting the US be as it may in November - is No Time To Die. Perhaps Pixar's Soul too as there's more precedent with staggered (potentially months-long) releases of animated/family films.
    It's really stupid that WB pushed back WONDER WOMAN because they seem to be under the assumption that if Nolan himself couldn't draw in enough audiences that there's no way WW would be able to as well. Face it, Warners, TENET was just a flat out terrible film to try to bring back audiences to the theaters after a very turbulent year. Audiences don't want a dour humorless actioner with a confusing plot and dry characters that mumble, they want something that's actually fun and colorful! Now that they pushed it back, it's only going to make theaters suffer even more!

"Hey, let's go to the movies. What's out?"
    "It's still just Tenet..."
    "Ugh... let's just watch Netflix."
    antovolk wrote: »
    I don't think that's as much because the experiment isn't working internationally - it's the same thing that Tenet faced a couple of months ago, they just cannot imagine opening a movie like WW84 months ahead of the US in other countries. And then effectively all they've done for Tenet is just take a crack at the state of the US and what's open there at that point in time. The 'stagger' was only a week.

The only blockbuster that can get away with that - be it a longer stagger or just letting the US be as it may in November - is No Time To Die. Perhaps Pixar's Soul too as there's more precedent with staggered (potentially months-long) releases of animated/family films.

I really don't understand the long-term strategy for the US box office. Tenet's numbers are so low, as are those of the other films currently playing, that theater chains are currently operating at a loss. And that was with last weekend's total numbers being above $12 million. This weekend, it is very likely to be below $10 million. With Greenland moving, there is zero new wide releases until Honest Thief on October 9th, with Death on the Nile on the October 23rd being the next relatively mid-budget release. How long are cinemas there planning on being open while the total box office numbers don't even cover their operating costs? I don't see any easy solution out of this. Especially not with the imminent delay of Black Widow.
    Their strategy just seems to be "let's not lose money!", which ironically hurts theaters, making it even more difficult to put out films to make money. Of course, they assumed TENET would be the big draw, so they clearly know nothing.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 3,164
    Yeah it's a very tough bind - made worse by Tenet's showing at the BO as there's now evidence that the rest of the world is more ready (potential second waves and lockdowns notwithstanding) and the US is just dragging everyone back. This is what happens when everyone relies so much on the Hollywood studio tentpole machine, to quote the head of the UK Cinema Association, 'no one thought that tap would be turned off'.

The best compromise solution right now seems to be letting the US go - be it delaying a film there specifically, or going PVOD (again, only there), or just accepting the tiny box office if it opens theatrically at that time.

Ideally I'd say the entire thing globally should shut down until vaccine with governments supporting the sector but that's clearly not gonna happen...
    Was there anything to learn from the Spanish flu in regards to how theater chains were impacted and how they recovered? Sure, it was a very different time for films. There wasn't even soundtracks yet. But that pandemic certainly had an impact on the production of films. I just haven't found the right info in regards to theaters.
  • RedNineRedNine Poland
    It's as if people just won't admit that the Tenet experiment failed. Tenet is doing so bad in the USA that it is killing theaters. Tenet's international numbers are nowhere near enough to avoid the film being a $200 million flop.
    You probably saw a headline saying that and didn't click on it did you ? Tenet hurt the cinemas that opened specifically because of Tenet. Theatres that were opened before were not influenced at all because they have been operating like that for a longer time. Tenet might have failed but it's better to try and save cinemas than just endlessly move the premiere dates which will kill theaters anyway, just over a longer period of time.
    RedNine wrote: »
    You probably saw a headline saying that and didn't click on it did you ? Tenet hurt the cinemas that opened specifically because of Tenet. Theatres that were opened before were not influenced at all because they have been operating like that for a longer time. Tenet might have failed but it's better to try and save cinemas than just endlessly move the premiere dates which will kill theaters anyway, just over a longer period of time.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/09/tenet-6-7-million-total-box-office-is-under-15-million-theaters-hurt-1234586104/

The domestic theater total gross this weekend will fall short of $15 million. Roughly, that suggests perhaps $5,000 per theater — not enough to cover operating expenses.

For all the justified focus on “Tenet,” as important a result this weekend was the paltry $1.125 million earned by Sony’s “The Broken Hearts Gallery.” That was in 2,204 theaters, leaving a per-theater average of just over $500 and only placing fourth.

Numbers like these alleviate safety concerns about overcrowding, but they do nothing to encourage other distributors to fill in release-schedule gaps with smaller titles. At this point, it feels like money poured down the drain. Since films must observe normal theatrical windows to play top circuits , there is even less reason to go.

However, upcoming weeks will see no new major releases. With “Wonder Woman 1984” delayed until December — the sole potential blockbuster for next month — and Universal taking “Candyman” out of October 16 until next year, studios are saying it’s not worth it.

This leaves theaters in dire straits. This weekend, the average complex grossed under $5,000 (before concessions). More than half of that goes to film rentals. They have staff and other operational costs to pay, as well as rent to landlords. Theaters have a stronger hand in negotiating rent if they’re closed. Once open, they owe, and now they face weeks of operation at a significant loss.

Theaters weren’t fools in trying to reboot. They were operating from a weak position where opening gave a hope that audiences might flock to “Tenet,” and if so other top films would follow. They also feared not opening would encourage more VOD plays, which would lead to greater problems. Now, they face further financial stress.

So again, explain to me how Tenet and the other films currently playing in US cinemas are doing anything other than killing theater chains? We are heading towards a weekend that will fall below $10 million for all films combined.

And by the way, the article I linked said the total box office 'will fall short of $15 million'. It actually ended at $12,6 million. This is likely to be the final weekend above $10 million for the next 5 weeks. Care to explain how these cinemas will pay their operating costs when the box office is so low, it is almost non-existent?
  • Tenet might have failed but it's better to try and save cinemas than just endlessly move the premiere dates which will kill theaters anyway, just over a longer period of time.
    Absolutely. Say what you will about Tenet (I thoroughly enjoyed it - much better than Dunkirk, that film left me really cold afterwards) and Christopher Nolan's decision to show the film only in cinemas, but at least this was a big film designed to be seen on the biggest screens possible which wasn't either continually pushed back with seemingly no end in sight of pushed onto streaming services to be watched mostly on people's TVs or laptops (which doesn't remotely deliver the same kind of experience). These films that have been completed (such as NTTD and Wonder Woman 1984) have to be released eventually - partially to generate some financial return even if it's no on the same level during normal times and partly to try and keep cinemas going (because if they just close until there's a vaccine, some of them might not be able to reopen at all). Treat the audiences of these films (who desperately want to see these films) with some respect - we all know how strange and unusual everything the situation is (putting it mildly I know) but it's a bit insulting to keep playing 'keep away' with these films and make people who actually want to go to the cinema at the moment, feel all the more worse.
    But it's a bit insulting to keep playing 'keep away' with these films and make people who actually want to go to the cinema at the moment, feel all the more worse.

Because there simply isn't enough people willing to go to the cinema. In other words, it is basic maths. Not enough people = not enough money = no reason to release big budget films.
    partially to generate some financial return even if it's no on the same level during normal times and partly to try and keep cinemas going (because if they just close until there's a vaccine, some of them might not be able to reopen at all).

You'll have to explain how it is a good thing to keep theaters open when the box office is so low, that cinemas are actually losing more money since they reopened than while they were closed. The actual numbers we've seen in the past weeks do not fit the narrative that cinemas are doing better since they are showing movies again - they are currently doing worse financially than when they were showing zero movies.
  • You'll have to explain how it is a good thing to keep theaters open when the box office is so low, that cinemas are actually losing more money since they reopened than while they were closed. The actual numbers we've seen in the past weeks do not fit the narrative that cinemas are doing better since they are showing movies again - they are currently doing worse financially than when they were showing zero movies.
    Like a lot of people on this forum, I don't live in the US so that situation isn't directly affecting cinemas that I frequent. Just because things are like that in the US doesn't mean things are like that the whole world over. Cinemas generally can't afford to stay closed completely until there's a vaccine or this virus dies out because a substantial amount of them most likely won't be able to reopen at all when that happens.
    Like a lot of people on this forum, I don't live in the US so that situation isn't directly affecting cinemas that I frequent. Just because things are like that in the US doesn't mean things are like that the whole world over. Cinemas generally can't afford to stay closed completely until there's a vaccine or this virus dies out because a substantial amount of them most likely won't be able to reopen at all when that happens.

And yet we are talking about big-budget Hollywood films. Why do you act surprised and annoyed that the unwillingness of US audiences to go flocking back to cinemas are causing the delays of US blockbusters? A is causing B, yet you keep going on and on about B shouldn't be happening when you refuse to even admit/acknowledge what the cause is.

edited September 2020 Posts: 8,021
    The simple fact is that if cinemas can’t make enough money then they can’t stay in business. There’s no ifs or buts to that. It’s not good news and you may not like it being told, but I give credit to @DaltonCraig007 for keeping it real.
  • Why do you act surprised and annoyed that the unwillingness of US audiences to go flocking back to cinemas are causing the delays of US blockbusters?
    I'm not surprised, I'm aware that the outbreak in the US is much worse than most other countries so I can understand why a lot of people are staying away from cinemas at the moment. The world is more than just one country though. I think someone else on here suggested that these upcoming blockbusters could play in other countries excepting the US and maybe in the US these films could just go to VOD and / or drive-in cinemas? That way everyone gets these films at the same time and there's no delay because of any one country's developments.
    I'm not surprised, I'm aware that the outbreak in the US is much worse than most other countries so I can understand why a lot of people are staying away from cinemas at the moment. The world is more than just one country though. I think someone else on here suggested that these upcoming blockbusters could play in other countries excepting the US and maybe in the US these films could just go to VOD and / or drive-in cinemas?

You better not be telling me you are about to yet again go down that route, because it was increasingly tedious the first time you refused to understand this. US box office is the most important country for US blockbusters, apart from the few internationally heavy franchises (aka Bond and Fast & Furious).

Hopefully you have finally understood why the US box office situation is causing all these delays, so you don't spam this thread again.

Especially when you misquote @antovolk 's post:

There is a very limited number of US blockbusters than earn way more internationally than domestically. The Fate of the Furious, for exemple, grossed $226 milion domestic and $1 billion in foreign markets.

If the situation is still as bad in 2021, Fast 9 should have no problem releasing if the US are in a dire situation. Films like Top Gun however, are much less certain.

• Bottom line is, these films have to come out one way or another, sooner or later. This continual circle of films being delayed and delayed doesn't get anyone anywhere.
    Bottom line is, these films have to come out one way or another, sooner or later. This continual circle of films being delayed and delayed doesn't get anyone anywhere.

As long as not enough people are willing to return to cinemas: this continual circle will continue. There is no ifs or buts. The current situation is too risky for big budget films. Tenet's failure is a testament of that. Domestically heavy US blockbusters simply won't be releasing anytime soon. No matter how much complaining will be posted in this thread.

As for VOD/PVOD: there is a reason why Disney has not released any numbers concerning Mulan in the medias. Or why Universal has not released any updates on Trolls 2 since its opening PVOD weekend. Simply put: the numbers there are most likely not encouraging for big-budget films.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Bottom line is, these films have to come out one way or another, sooner or later. This continual circle of films being delayed and delayed doesn't get anyone anywhere.

These films have to be released because the distributors get the money from banks,etc and as everybody knows people who can't pay off their houses lose them to the banks.

It's the same with the studios, release the film or lose the film rights to the banks,etc.

The studios haven't got $200 m or more or less in their studio safes to finance films,they borrow the money.
    Yeah it's a very tough bind - made worse by Tenet's showing at the BO as there's now evidence that the rest of the world is more ready (potential second waves and lockdowns notwithstanding) and the US is just dragging everyone back. This is what happens when everyone relies so much on the Hollywood studio tentpole machine, to quote the head of the UK Cinema Association, 'no one thought that tap would be turned off'.

The best compromise solution right now seems to be letting the US go - be it delaying a film there specifically, or going PVOD (again, only there), or just accepting the tiny box office if it opens theatrically at that time.

Ideally I'd say the entire thing globally should shut down until vaccine with governments supporting the sector but that's clearly not gonna happen...

The NY Times has just posted an article that states the following:

“The industry needs New York to open as soon as possible,” said Ken Thewes, Regal Cinemas’ chief marketing officer. “Governor Cuomo has done a great job getting it under control, but we really need him to give cinemas the same thought that he’s given to the restaurant industry and let us resume operations.”

If those markets don’t open, and the studios get skittish, theater operators may have to take some dramatic steps to weather the storm. Shawn Robbins, chief analyst at Box Office Pro, said cinemas may start reducing operating hours to minimize expenses — perhaps going down to 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. screenings only, and foregoing matinees and early-evening screenings. In some cases, theaters have leases that require them to operate seven days a week. For those that don’t, showing movies only on weekends may be an option.'

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/15/business/media/tenet-movie-theaters-coronavirus.html