NTTD & Corona

Comments

• edited September 2020 Posts: 3,166
    matt_u wrote: »
    Well, Tenet actually is a financial disaster.
    Budget: 200 million
    After two weeks:
    "Tenet’ Hits $200 Million Globally"
    https://variety.com/2020/film/box-office/tenet-box-office-christopher-nolan-warner-bros-1234768187/

There's world outside US, you know ;-)
    Zekidk wrote: »
    After two weeks:
    https://variety.com/2020/film/box-office/tenet-box-office-christopher-nolan-warner-bros-1234768187/

“Success” may be a stretch, but given the circumstances this seems pretty decent to me - especially given the poor US numbers.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    After two weeks:

Not even getting into the marketing and promotional costs, making $200 million off a $200 million budget isn't a success at all, considering they've lost a substantial amount of money. I suppose it's "good" in the scope of a pandemic but they've still lost money at this point.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,690
    After two weeks:

Tenet needs at least $400 million world-wide to have any kind of profit.

Also, since it is an American production, failing to reach $100 million domestic is a disaster. Especially when it is a big budget film.

So yes, Tenet is a financial disaster, no matter which way you look at it.
    If NTTD does manage to release on time, I feel good about its chances to gross more than Tenet - but that comes with the big stipulation that the pandemic doesn’t get a lot worse and theaters don’t close down. A delay is the last thing that should surprise anyone at this point, though I really hope they try to still get it out at some point this year as things aren’t likely to get much better for a long time.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Black Widow likely to be delayed; Soul likely to move straight to Disney+.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/black-widow-release-date-delay-soul-disney-plus-1234769426/

This makes No Time To Die the next big budget film to arrive in cinemas.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 625
    After two weeks:

Warner gets about 43% of cinema box office. So from $208 million they may have earned $85 million.
    And they not just spend $225 million for the movie, but also a lot of additional money for marketing. So even if they only spent $300 million in total, the movie needs $700 million worldwide to get Warner to make a little profit.
    Yikes. Will NTTD flinch and move again?
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Yikes. Will NTTD flinch and move again?

NTTD is now the next big budget film to arrive, and apart from Death on the Nile, it is the next major release scheduled for the big screen. I think a delay for NTTD just became much likely given this MCU delay.
    I fear it's only a matter of time before NTTD opts to delay again. What a shame.
    US theaters are already operating at a loss given how badly Tenet is doing, and now there is only one major release in the next 9 weeks.
    A lot of sadness and questioning for sure if it moves again. Will NTTD get some kind of record for most-delayed big budget film? Will the record for longest gap between Bond films be broken? When will it REALLY come - another month, 3 months, a year, 2 years? When will theaters ever be viable in this new climate?
    After two weeks:

“Success” may be a stretch,
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    making $200 million off a $200 million budget isn't a success at all.

Where did I call it a success? I'm just arguing that 200 mio in the first couple of weeks isn't a "financial disaster." It's already made one third of what the SP (with its larger budget) did in two months internationally, but yes, the domestic sales are truly a disaster, I can agree with that.
    I fear it's only a matter of time before NTTD opts to delay again. What a shame.
    No, it's on. They wouldn't do a second (very expensive) marketing campaign (currently) just to postpone it yet again.
    After two weeks:

Where did I call it a success? I'm just arguing that 200 mio in the first couple of weeks isn't a "financial disaster"

I didn’t say you did - I was just starting off my own statement with that.
    I'm just arguing that 200 mio in the first couple of weeks isn't a "financial disaster"

$200 million world wide for a $200 million budget film is a financial disaster. Its domestic box office is so small it is not even worth talking about. And it's already down to less than $30 million internationally per week. If the box office intake stopped dropping this very moment, Tenet will need another 6 weeks just to earn the required $400 million needed to reach the break even point.

Tenet has already done most of its possible box office, and it still needs $200 million at minimum. I don't know in what world you think this will be possible to achieve.

Tenet is actually doing so bad it is hurting cinema chains in the USA. That is beyond a financial disaster. And if NTTD gets delayed, the fingers can be pointed at Tenet.
    After two weeks:

Where did I call it a success? I'm just arguing that 200 mio in the first couple of weeks isn't a "financial disaster." It's already made one third of what the SP (with its larger budget) did in two months internationally, but yes, the domestic sales are truly a disaster, I can agree with that.

Fair enough, as you seemed to be contesting the "financial disaster" bit so I surmised you were stating it was some sort of success, even though it hasn't made any money back yet. The next week or two should decide that, though.
    . [double post]
    After two weeks:

Fair enough, as you seemed to be contesting the "financial disaster" bit so I surmised you were stating it was some sort of success, even though it hasn't made any money back yet. The next week or two should decide that, though.

Tenet barely made $50 million world wide last week. It needs 4 more weeks at that same amount to reach $400 million. But sadly the weekly drop will render this impossible.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mgm-take-30-million-hit-moving-bond-film-no-time-die-1282803

@Zekidk you make a point about the marketing campaign situation, and I've been thinking about it myself too. How many more of these big hits could they take by continuing to delay, with zero certainty of the pandemic situation improving down the road? Whether they keep to 2020 or keep on pushing, it seems like a no-win situation to me financially with NTTD.
    I'm just arguing that 200 mio in the first couple of weeks isn't a "financial disaster"
    $200 million world wide for a $200 million budget film is a financial disaster.
    It's not that they are pulling it from theatres after just two weeks, eh? Especially since there's like no competition. It needs 500 mio to break even. So let's see.
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    After two weeks:

No, it's on. They wouldn't do a second (very expensive) marketing campaign (currently) just to postpone it yet again.

But the cost of marketing each time (around $40-50 million) against the possibility of losing $500 million plus in lost box office revenue is really no choice at all.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 12,256
    After two weeks:

But the cost of marketing each time (around $40-50 million) against the possibility of losing $500 million plus in lost box office revenue is really no choice at all.

But how long can the film be pushed - what if the pandemic keeps on persisting for a very long time? They can keep the film in limbo for who knows how long I suppose, which is still sadly a very real possibility. If it does push again, it’s a big fail on the part of the advertising to have gone ahead with this second wave.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited September 2020 Posts: 4,343
    After two weeks:

No matter how you look at it, it is.

$200 million worldwide after 3 weeks. It needs another $300 million to break even. That's a financial disaster, unfortunately, given the ambition and scope of the film that was conceived as Nolan's biggest and most audacious ever. Let's wait and see what will happen if theaters re-open in NY and California.
    After two weeks:

I am sure that they thought this through before rolling out the 2nd marketing wave. Point of no return. And the Covid-19 numbers (daily new cases) are going steadily down in the US since the beginning of August, so have a little faith.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I mean we say it needs 500, but if I remember correctly the magic number for Spectre was 660 million that after which it broke even. Bond may spend more than its budget in marketing.
    It's not that they are pulling it from theatres after just two weeks, eh? Especially since there's like no competition. It needs 500 mio to break even. So let's see.

I still do not understand your argument. Yes, it has no competition. Can you explain why the box office is so low, then? Tenet is doing so badly in the USA that is it hurting theater chains. Is this a sign of a box office success where cinemas are actually better off closing than showing your film? Theaters are losing money since the box office is so non-existent.

I still do not understand your argument. Yes, it has no competition. Can you explain why the box office is so low, then? Tenet is doing so badly in the USA that is it hurting theater chains. Is this a sign of a box office success where cinemas are actually better off closing than showing your film? Theaters are losing money since the box office is so non-existent.

Yet again - I never called the box office numbers a success. And again - like I wrote:
    the domestic sales are truly a disaster, I can agree with that.
    I just don't agree with you that 200 mio in two weeks internationally is a disaster. Of course it would probably have made at least 300 already if there wasn't a pandemic. But given the circumstances I would say that 200 mio in a couple of weeks is pretty decent.
    Many are even going to see it twice in the theatre because they had a hard time understanding what was going on the first time :-) So...let's see in a couple of months where it stands.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    3 weeks.
  • tonesmalones09tonesmalones09 Minneapolis
    I don't think it's too far of a stretch to assume that EON/MGM/Universal had the same thought process that WB had and wrongly thought that Tenet would bring people back to the theater in the US. That's why they chose to ramp marketing back up when they did. A bold strategy at the time that I think we can all agree now (only 2 weeks later) was likely a mistake.

Yes, marketing has ramped up but the November release date is still 2 months away. If they pushed the film back soon I think they would save some money over marketing it for another month or so only to push it back again. Someone that knows more about film marketing will have to enlighten me on how much was already sunk by the new trailer and everything that has followed...

Also, I heard on a JB&F podcast that EON has almost no production debt for NTTD, meaning the banks have been paid off. This means that pushing back the film for a tenable theatrical release only makes sense for them financially. They don't have immediate pressure to release the film.

Either way, how many theater chains do we think can survive staying open for 9 weeks with no new content? Wouldn't it be more prudent (in the US) for theaters to close back down and cite the pandemic as an excuse not to pay rent (as I think some did in the spring)? A bad option I know but I don't really know how theaters will survive two months as is. The situation is bleak, especially for those of us that love going to the cinema.