Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Jack O Connell is James Bond 007 in
    MR WHITE AND THE 007 DWARF

Hi ho, hi ho.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 2020 Posts: 5,840
    Jack's a midget and so are his teeth. Next.
    Such a way with words Jeremy...
    Denbigh wrote: »
    The only thing that would bother me about an American actor is how baffling it would be to think that they struggled to find a British one...

That was my reaction when they got an American director for the latest one.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    The only thing that would bother me about an American actor is how baffling it would be to think that they struggled to find a British one...
    I see what you I mean in that regard, but it's not that important really. I see the appeal of a British-born director but at the same time, a director sells themselves on their ability to tell stories about characters and help provide breathtaking visuals, which Fukunaga has done throughout his career. I mean If an American director can tackle Jane Eyre, I'm sure he can tackle Bond haha :D
    And I was personally more excited by his choosing than when Boyle was announced, but again that's just my preference based on their previous filmography and what I like as an audience member.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I see what you I mean in that regard, but it's not that important really. I see the appeal of a British-born director but at the same time, a director sells themselves on their ability to tell stories about characters and help provide breathtaking visuals, which Fukunaga has done throughout his career. I mean If an American director can tackle Jane Eyre, I'm sure he can tackle Bond haha :D
    And I was personally more excited by his choosing than when Boyle was announced, but again that's just my preference based on their previous filmography and what I like as an audience member.

Same. I don t care for anything Boyle has done, but I like everything I have seen from Fukunaga.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Yeah I found Boyle initially exciting, but then I watched Yesterday and it felt like any sort of touch he had evaporated all at once! :)
    Jack's a midget and so are his teeth. Next.

His teeth are too small? That's a... new one... :))
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited August 2020 Posts: 8,265

The very best screenwriter of the Bond franchise, in my opinion, was an American.

Why not an American director? One who has quite an interesting background? And certainly one that may be American by birth, but can hardly be considered "Hollywood" in the projects he's chosen over the years. This guy has quite a high creative IQ.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Yes I must admit it didn't even register with me that he was the first American director- the lines have been blurred about whether these are British or American movies since they started. They're both really. All of the producers have been American (by birth anyway; all except McClory maybe?) so it doesn't feel much of a shock.
    Was Tamahori the first non-Brit?

There are concerns that he won’t be able to properly direct British banter and repartee and overall culture.

You say directors are different. I disagree. The reason American actors can’t do British accents is because they are not familiar with the culture. The exact same thing goes for the director.

I mean, this movie already looks extremely glossy and bombastic. It has none of the reserved wit of the Mendes efforts.

I have a friend who is just a casual fan. Upon seeing the trailer she claimed it looks very American in its bombast. She knew nothing about production. Yet even she could tell.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    mtm wrote: »
    Yes I must admit it didn't even register with me that he was the first American director- the lines have been blurred about whether these are British or American movies since they started. They're both really. All of the producers have been American (by birth anyway; all except McClory maybe?) so it doesn't feel much of a shock.

as a Canadian, @mtm you hurt me. Maybe fatally: Saltzman was from Montreal, Canada.

I do agree with the blurred lines: it's a mix of Brit and American sensibilities (since Dr. No). And Fleming was not shy sharing his creation with Americans or Brits, or Scots...
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    There are concerns that he won’t be able to properly direct British banter and repartee and overall culture.

You say directors are different. I disagree. The reason American actors can’t do British accents is because they are not familiar with the culture. The exact same thing goes for the director. I mean, this movie already looks extremely glossy and bombastic. It has none of the reserved wit of the Mendes efforts.

I have a friend who is just a casual fan. Upon seeing the trailer she claimed it looks very American in its bombast. She knew nothing about production. Yet even she could tell.
    I mean overall, time will tell and we'll see, but I know many others don't have that impression, and also if that is something that's lacking, it doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. I don't think loads of people just tune in because it's innately British - in terms of tone.

And if you ask me, this glossy and bombastic-ness that you mention is actually quite refreshing for Bond, if it's what I think you're describing is actually quite refreshing.

I love Skyfall, but Spectre was so drab and dull to so many people that bringing a new bit of life into it from someone with a fresher take is probably what this film needed. As for the British banter and repartee and culture you mention, let's not forget that one of the writers is Phoebe Waller-Bridge, whose writing is smothered in that. You only have to watch Fleabag to know that she can pull that off.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Benjamin_Weekly69 ... Maibaum, a Yank, was by far the man who captured Fleming best.

Looking at NTTD:

Cary's DP was a European.

Three of the screenwriters (P&W PWB) for NTTD are from the UK.

And the rest of the talent is a mix from Europe and America and Cuba (from producers through talent)...

Your "friend" was seeing an "American" film in the trailer for NTTD?; how, exactly?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    There was that Martin Campbell guy. He did pretty good I thought.

I consider commonwealth people to be honorary Brits. So there is no distinction in that difference.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    There was that Martin Campbell guy. He did pretty good I thought.
    Ah yes, of course!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I consider commonwealth people to be honorary Brits. So there is no distinction in that difference.

@Benjamin_Weekly69 i grew up half a year in Toronto, Canada (a commonwealth), and the rest of the year in England. There's plenty to distinguish between a Canadian (me), and my father and mother (from the UK).
    There is plenty to distinguish between my boomer parents and me too. On things like climate change, Brexit etc.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Benjamin_Weekly69 ugh-- cultural differences vs generational ones. You're very obviously missing the point, or missing the point obviously.

Have a good night.

P
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Ok... anyway, good to see you on the site again @peter, hope you're doing well my friend :)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Thank you @Denbigh !! Hope all goes well with your projects!

P
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    https://www.oddschecker.com/novelty/specials/james-bond/next-bond-after-daniel-craig

Not that it's accurate in any way, but it's fun to see what some of the bookies are predicting for who will replace Daniel Craig.

Hiddleston, Norton, Hardy, Elba (honestly) and Aidan Turner at 20-1

https://sports-stg.ladbrokes.be/en/t/32459/James-Bond-Specials

https://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/novelty-bets/james-bond/next-james-bond-after-daniel-craig-3845733

Aidan Turner is certainly slipping down the odds. His profile maybe dwindling since the end of Poldark. With no film roles on the horizon it's possible he'll slip further down the bookies odds. He's worthy of a screentest for sure. But would EON and MGM be willing to risk it for a TV star?

• edited August 2020 Posts: 12,837
    Benny wrote: »
    https://www.oddschecker.com/novelty/specials/james-bond/next-bond-after-daniel-craig

Not that it's accurate in any way, but it's fun to see what some of the bookies are predicting for who will replace Daniel Craig.

https://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/novelty-bets/james-bond/next-james-bond-after-daniel-craig-3845733

Aidan Turner is certainly slipping down the odds. His profile maybe dwindling since the end of Poldark. With no film roles on the horizon it's possible he'll slip further down the bookies odds. He's worthy of a screentest for sure. But would EON and MGM be willing to risk it for a TV star?

I think bookie odds are fairly irrelevant at this point, but Turner’s fifteen minutes do seem to be winding down a bit, and he just doesn’t seem Barbara’s type at all to me. He’s got more chance than Elba, Cavill, and the other famous choices, but a TV star who’s got famous off the Bond association sounds a bit too Brosnan to me. I think she’ll want someone who’s got a different, edgy body of work, like Craig had. There’s still time for him to turn it around mind, and he’s not too famous. But if I were him I’d try to do some “cooler” stuff now, rather than just being the tall dark handsome lead in other TV dramas. Do some ballsy indie films. Or he could go the other way and just try to profit from the Bond association entirely, but that’d torpedo his chances imo.

Say what you will about O’Connell but I do think he’s much more likely than the often touted names. Plus this place would be brilliant if that happened. Turner fanboys on suicide watch ;)

I think Norton’s more likely than Turner too. Not sold on him at all personally, but he’s got a different sort of look, a BAFTA nomination, and a more versatile looking career. Again, more BB’s type I reckon. But I agree it’s difficult to tell without these actors leading films. Brosnan wasn’t the best actor, but he was a real movie star. Is that true of Turner or Norton? O’Connell on the other hand can lead a film.

Turner’s best shot is honestly the selling up rumours being true imo. I think BB will want another Craig, someone who can continue to take the franchise in the arty direction it’s been going in. But if they do sell to (god forbid) Disney or some other big studio then I can imagine names like Turner and even Cavill being on the list.
  • What's all this "edgy" crap anyway? Bond is cool, calm, confident. Is he a rebel or just a man on a mission. Maybe Craig's Bond has emotional edgy episodes but is otherwise focused and without fear. They need someone of super-star quality.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    Haha I am indeed @DewiWynBond haha :) You should check him out in The Capture if you can.

Thanks mate, I watched the whole series a few days ago. Bloody brilliant! It had like a Bond vibe throughout with all the police cars, operations and fight scenes. I'm not too sold on Callum's voice, though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Benny wrote: »

I think bookie odds are fairly irrelevant at this point, but Turner’s fifteen minutes do seem to be winding down a bit, and he just doesn’t seem Barbara’s type at all to me. He’s got more chance than Elba, Cavill, and the other famous choices, but a TV star who’s got famous off the Bond association sounds a bit too Brosnan to me. I think she’ll want someone who’s got a different, edgy body of work, like Craig had. There’s still time for him to turn it around mind, and he’s not too famous. But if I were him I’d try to do some “cooler” stuff now, rather than just being the tall dark handsome lead in other TV dramas. Do some ballsy indie films. Or he could go the other way and just try to profit from the Bond association entirely, but that’d torpedo his chances imo.

Say what you will about O’Connell but I do think he’s much more likely than the often touted names. Plus this place would be brilliant if that happened. Turner fanboys on suicide watch ;)

I think Norton’s more likely than Turner too. Not sold on him at all personally, but he’s got a different sort of look, a BAFTA nomination, and a more versatile looking career. Again, more BB’s type I reckon. But I agree it’s difficult to tell without these actors leading films. Brosnan wasn’t the best actor, but he was a real movie star. Is that true of Turner or Norton? O’Connell on the other hand can lead a film.

Turner’s best shot is honestly the selling up rumours being true imo. I think BB will want another Craig, someone who can continue to take the franchise in the arty direction it’s been going in. But if they do sell to (god forbid) Disney or some other big studio then I can imagine names like Turner and even Cavill being on the list.

Very good post, I think you’re spot on.
    Agreed on Norton being marginally more probable but still looking unlikely at the moment. He’s a bit flavourless. Hopefully they’ll be looking for someone with a bit more of an edge, yeah.
  • What's all this "edgy" crap anyway? Bond is cool, calm, confident. Is he a rebel or just a man on a mission. Maybe Craig's Bond has emotional edgy episodes but is otherwise focused and without fear. They need someone of super-star quality.

Edgy as in dangerous and with a bit of cred as a “proper” actor. Barbara Broccoli didn’t seem too enamoured with Brosnan. He was Cubby’s final Bond really, and has said the producers never went to dinner with him or anything.

Craig on the other hand, she adores him. He’s gotten more creative control and more money than any other actor. So, I think the next actor will be someone like Craig. Someone a bit rougher, not a posh male model type, and who has a bit of a rep as an actor. Someone who’s in it for the art, and who wouldn’t feel out of place in the classy, arthousey sort of Bond films they make now (I think that’s probably what BB has wanted to do from the start; you can see traces of it as far back as TWINE, so I doubt we’ll get a huge change in direction).

One I’ve been thinking about is Joe Cole. Like O’Connell, I reckon he’s BB’s type. Great in Peaky Blinders and Gangs of London, bloody brilliant in A Prayer Before Dawn, and an interestingly varied career. But does he have the look?

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/resources/images/11272024?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

I can kind of see it. He’s not as rugged as Craig or some of the other suggestions, but he’s got that steeley gaze going on.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Haha I am indeed @DewiWynBond haha :) You should check him out in The Capture if you can.
    Thanks mate, I watched the whole series a few days ago. Bloody brilliant! It had like a Bond vibe throughout with all the police cars, operations and fight scenes. I'm not too sold on Callum's voice, though.
    I’d check him out in interviews @DewayneGXK. In The Capture, he kind of ups the rough London accent for the character.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    I’d check him out in interviews @DewayneGXK. In The Capture, he kind of ups the rough London accent for the character.

Bloody loved The Capture. Thought it was a shame that it didn’t get the same attention Bodyguard got the year before.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Bloody loved The Capture. Thought it was a shame that it didn’t get the same attention Bodyguard got the year before.
    Yeah it's a shame, and Callum was nominated for a leading actor BAFTA, but lost out to Jared Harris' performance in Chernobyl, which is understandable.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 12,837
    Yeah it's a shame, and Callum was nominated for a leading actor BAFTA, but lost out to Jared Harris' performance in Chernobyl, which is understandable.

He was great, and I agree he could be worth an audition for Bond, but personally I would’ve given that BAFTA to Stephen Graham (nominated for the Virtues). Amazing performance.

He’d be a good Bond villain actually. Mostly famous for British stuff but Scorcese likes him too, he’s dabbled in Hollywood. He was very good in the Irishman last year, I could see him as a charismatic gangster type villain.