Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Univex wrote: »
    I'd love to see Craig's screen-test one day. Wasn't there a documentary coming out that had the screen-test in it? Being Bond, or Becoming Bond, what was it called?

And about that last post of yours, @mtm, I agree. With all of it. See? ;)

I’ve only seen photos.....and he did it with that silly hair cut from ‘The Invasion’ too.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I'd love to see Craig's screen-test one day. Wasn't there a documentary coming out that had the screen-test in it? Being Bond, or Becoming Bond, what was it called?

I’ve only seen photos.....and he did it with that silly hair cut from ‘The Invasion’ too.

Yep.

daniel-craig-james-bond-screen-test.jpg

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited August 2020 Posts: 4,247

Yep.

I love this Haircut. I wanted it like this, very classic Bond look....He looks like Dalton(his alter ego) with it. Wow!!! Look at that Comma!
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I mean in this day and age, we're all very much creatures of habit, and everything seems to be a reference to the past, so even if we were to introduce a "younger" Bond, he can still be interested those things, and enjoy the things he enjoys but its just through fresher eyes.

Nostalgia is currently so trendy, I wonder if it would start to feel stale for a new Bond to be a young guy who is into 60s sports cars, classic tayloring and mid-century modern interior design. That's basically your average finance bro in 2020. Paradoxically, a huge reason for these things being trendy is the Bond series. But Bond himself of course doesn't live in a world where "James Bond" is one of the most famous characters there is.

Now, I really have no idea how you get past that problem, because I am an absolute sheep when it comes to these things. But as someone who looks at Bond movies as an inspiration, I would love for them to take a step foreward instead of standing still in a spot where everybody else has caught up with Bond.
    And as for the villains, well we still face people with over-the-top eccentric ideas of what the modern world should be like, which are even opposed by the people that are very much rooted in it. If that makes sense.

The world's their oyster really and there's so many ways you can go with it :)

I think a maniac like Elon Musk and the other super rich guys (but especially Musk) make it really hard to create a convincing megalomaniac villain (if that isn't an oxymoron). The guy is such a parody of a rich tech bro already that it is basically impossible to put a fictional figure in his vicinity and not have it either look even more ridiculous or just mega boring.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 2020 Posts: 5,834
    @ImpertinentGoon Yeah I get that, and on paper, it would certainly seem that way, but I think it would be very easy to make those classic elements feel authentic to the character and the actor, without making them come across as a "finance bro".

In general, it's definitely also something EON will eventually need to address as we're moving further and further away from a time where these more old-style aspects are the norm. It's just making sure you adapt the stuff you want to keep in a way that feels like a good representation of who James Bond is and the world he's originally from, while also moving forward to create someone who also represents today.

But I agree with you regarding the whole Elon Musk thing. While I can certainly see them using aspects of that type of person to create a villain, it's probably best to create something that feels more inline with the spy and espionage world rather than a James Bond vs Apple kind of situation. I've always feared a more modern Tomorrow Never Dies haha :D
    But again, this is only if they did want to go for an actor in his early 30s. For example, someone like a Robert Pattinson or a Nicholas Hoult. I just think there's so many things you could do with a James Bond like this, that I think it's worth a shot - at some point anyway.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Yep.

I love this Haircut. I wanted it like this, very classic Bond look....He looks like Dalton(his alter ego) with it. Wow!!! Look at that Comma!

I like the haircut as well. I thought he looked quite suave and dashing during the CR press conference.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 14,861
    @ImpertinentGoon Yeah I get that, and on paper, it would certainly seem that way, but I think it would be very easy to make those classic elements feel authentic to the character and the actor, without making them come across as a "finance bro".

In general, it's definitely also something EON will eventually need to address as we're moving further and further away from a time where these more old-style aspects are the norm. It's just making sure you adapt the stuff you want to keep in a way that feels like a good representation of who James Bond is and the world he's originally from, while also moving forward to create someone who also represents today.

But I agree with you regarding the whole Elon Musk thing. While I can certainly see them using aspects of that type of person to create a villain, it's probably best to create something that feels more inline with the spy and espionage world rather than a James Bond vs Apple kind of situation. I've always feared a more modern Tomorrow Never Dies haha :D

I kind of wish they could do TND again: the media barons are a real proper insidious evil in our society and are real Bond villains. But, they've already been there.
    I know they don't do politics but you almost wonder if a populist head of state could even be the villain of a Bond movie at some point: that seems to be a big problem in the world at the moment. It'd be nice to see them get ballsy.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Yep.

I like the haircut as well. I thought he looked quite suave and dashing during the CR press conference.

Yeah, he did look suave when he was unveiled. I think he kept that hairstyle on purpose, thinking EON would use it. Coz that's the same Hairstyle Dalton and Brosnan had when they were unveiled.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I will disagree and say I don't think it suited him: weirdly I don't think they found the right haircut for him until Spectre! :)
    mtm wrote: »
    I will disagree and say I don't think it suited him: weirdly I don't think they found the right haircut for him until Spectre! :)

Yeah, His hair in SP was where they started allowing it look classier. I actually think the hair thing was done on purpose, Coz in Live and Let Die's Novel, he had a Military haircut and lost part part of his comma....and I remember Mendes and Craig saying they like Live and Let Die a lot, so they transferred that hair to Skyfall. Not that his Hair was that bad, but I would have preferred that audition look more....it's so visible that it suits him more.
    I think one of the best Bondian haircuts Craig has had was in Archangel.

archangel.jpg
    Yeah, that Haircut was Bondian too. And it was nice to see Craig play an everyday man in Archangel.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 4,400

archangel.jpg

I agree....I have mixed to negative views on the spiky CR hair. I think they wanted him to be young and edgy. It's very 2006

CrCarousel-715x424.png

Again, subjective.

As for the reasoning, I could easily say that Aiden Turner is an oversized looking rat who should probably stick to television as he probably wouldn’t do well as a leading man in films...

...but I don’t because I understand the subjectiveness but it’s cool we can just use insults as reasons not to cast someone ;)
    Great discussion guys.

Aidan Turner gets paid to model for Dunhill. So his good looks aren’t altogether subjective.
    True @suavejmf, but that does also apply to Robert Pattinson. I probably can't even list how many covers that guy has been on, and how many people find him attractive... but I'm glad you get my point ;)
    And yes I do understand the real reasoning behind your destain for Pattinson @Univex, and that it's more to do with the more classic, older James Bond you would like.

And @mtm I understand you destain for insults as reason for non-casting as I also feel the same way. I think they can be unjustified a lot of the time.

Anyway, back on track, I actually still think Aaron-Taylor Johnson should be given a shot at a screentest. As said on another page, I enjoyed him in the little screentime he had in Tenet, and could be a really interesting choice imo :)
    EgDuvDrXgAMuVEu?format=jpg&name=large

Surely not....Aaron-Taylor Johnson sounds like he's doing a Jason Statham impression throughout his brief stint in Tenet. He made next to no impression in that film.

But we can't have R-Patz now that's Batman. Tenet basically works as a terrific Bond audition for him. Especially when he's in the military garb.

Also, I've noticed over the last few weeks that Jamie Dornan is having a resurgence in popularity due to how big a hit The Fall has been now it's on Netflix. I'm going to check it out...

jamie-dornan.jpg

However, the impression The Batman trailer left by having a young, edgy male lead in a more edgy seemingly film looks to be the template. You need an actor who'll excite people and someone who people 'stan' on social media. Someone to get the cynics saying 'not my James Bond' to concede that the choice is actually kinda cool once they see a trailer.......that someone is Timothée Chalamet

timothee-chalamet.jpg
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 6,665
    Timothée Chalamet is a skinny American actor. Frail and weird. Why on earth would he be apt as James Bond?

Can you imagine him alongside the other 6 Bonds in a poster? I'd laugh my lungs out.

9-thimothee-chalamet-style.jpg

I'll concede you one thing, @Pierce2Daniel, I'd rather have Dornan in the role.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Mmm @Pierce2Daniel, while we stand very agreed on Robert Pattinson, if it wasn't for The Batman, I completely disagree regarding Aaron Taylor. He certainly made an impression on me, and I was very excited to see him in the role he was given. And while Tenet was not his best performance, he certainly has something and fits the role of Bond more so than Chalamet imo.

And if Aaron's voice is the only issue, it's a good job he's an actor with range.

Although either way, Chalamet is now part of the planned Dune franchise. I also think Chalamet could easily be a villain in the future but not James Bond, but I also don't see him growing out of his boyishness anytime soon, which would not work for Bond. An early 30s actor who can still be seen as a man, yes, but a late 20s actor who could still get away with being in high school, I don't think will happen. Even given the probable long gap between now and Bond 26.

I also don't think Chalamet or Pattinson are comparable. The perfect thing with Pattinson is that while he's a different route, he still easily represents the character of Batman and Bruce Wayne. Pattinson is not a boy, Chalamet still looks like one, and while that doesn't make him any less of an actor, I think that'll really be a wrong route to take with James Bond.

Dornan has a good a shot as any, although I'll be very surprised. I'm also yet to impressed by his acting skills to be honest with you. I think his career needs more of a boost than The Fall, as while maybe successful, I'm yet to see any real buzz for it myself.

I also still champion Callum Turner by the way, which will come as no surprise to anyone.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

archangel.jpg

I agree....I have mixed to negative views on the spiky CR hair. I think they wanted him to be young and edgy. It's very 2006

CrCarousel-715x424.png

Again, subjective.

As for the reasoning, I could easily say that Aiden Turner is an oversized looking rat who should probably stick to television as he probably wouldn’t do well as a leading man in films...

...but I don’t because I understand the subjectiveness but it’s cool we can just use insults as reasons not to cast someone ;)
    Great discussion guys.

Aidan Turner gets paid to model for Dunhill. So his good looks aren’t altogether subjective.
    True @suavejmf, but that does also apply to Robert Pattinson. I probably can't even list how many covers that guy has been on, and how many people find him attractive... but I'm glad you get my point ;)
    And yes I do understand the real reasoning behind your destain for Pattinson @Univex, and that it's more to do with the more classic, older James Bond you would like.

And @mtm I understand you destain for insults as reason for non-casting as I also feel the same way. I think they can be unjustified a lot of the time.

Anyway, back on track, I actually still think Aaron-Taylor Johnson should be given a shot at a screentest. As said on another page, I enjoyed him in the little screentime he had in Tenet, and could be a really interesting choice imo :)
    EgDuvDrXgAMuVEu?format=jpg&name=large

Surely not....Aaron-Taylor Johnson sounds like he's doing a Jason Statham impression throughout his brief stint in Tenet. He made next to no impression in that film.

But we can't have R-Patz now that's Batman. Tenet basically works as a terrific Bond audition for him. Especially when he's in the military garb.

Also, I've noticed over the last few weeks that Jamie Dornan is having a resurgence in popularity due to how big a hit The Fall has been now it's on Netflix. I'm going to check it out...

jamie-dornan.jpg

However, the impression The Batman trailer left by having a young, edgy male lead in a more edgy seemingly film looks to be the template. You need an actor who'll excite people and someone who people 'stan' on social media. Someone to get the cynics saying 'not my James Bond' to concede that the choice is actually kinda cool once they see a trailer.......that someone is Timothée Chalamet

timothee-chalamet.jpg

Not a chance.
    After watching Penny Dreadful and Doom Patrol, I say give this guy a call!

The man is as stylish now as Connery was in The Hunt for Red October.

e32cec8fe52d787f056224190464d449.jpg

PS: I just wanted to show people what a manly man is supposed to look like, in case some have forgotten. These beardless kids with shiny clothes and emo hairdos are ridiculous, IMO. And I'd rather have a lion in the role than a kitty cat.

PPS: And before someone says it, yes, I'd rather have Craig do another one. I'd love that. It would be better than seeing a fresh kid do a reboot. bah.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Personally I find the idea of casting a man in his mid 70s as equally ridiculous. There's a lot of hyperbole being dangled in the hope of a response here.
    Personally I find the idea of casting a man in his mid 70s as equally ridiculous. There's a lot of hyperbole being dangled in the hope of a response here.

It was meant to be ridiculous. As to show that the alternative being proposed (James Bond Jr.) was equally ridiculous. That's the whole point of the hyperbole ;)

We have to understand the whoever's the next guy, he'll have to stand next to these fellas and hold his own.

bonds.jpg
    Great, then I'm going to propose we cast a motorbike as James Bond if we're playing that game. The Honda Fireblade, it'll be perfect.

Can we talk sensibly now without trying to show each other up for 'ridiculous' we think they're being? I'm perfectly happy to listen to and consider your more left field suggestions @Pierce2Daniel , don't let yourself get shouted down by others.

Oh my, even though I've written about your playground social tactics disguised as fake diplomacy, you're still doing it. Laughable. Do carry on. Keep gathering kudos from everyone if that makes you feel better. How sensible you are. And yes, the Bond Fireblade would make for a better Bond than Chalamet. I'm absolutely sure of it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Great, then I'm going to propose we cast a motorbike as James Bond if we're playing that game. The Honda Fireblade, it'll be perfect.

Can we talk sensibly now without trying to show each other up for 'ridiculous' we think they're being? I'm perfectly happy to listen to and consider your more left field suggestions @Pierce2Daniel , don't let yourself get shouted down by others.

Oh my, even though I've written about your playground social tactics, you're still doing it. Laughable. Do carry on. Keep gathering kudos from everyone if that makes you feel better. How sensible you are.

Yes, I'm actually trying to be friendly to people because I'm interested in and open to their thoughts. If you're trying to show me up for that then good job, but I think it speaks more about you than me. It's better than claiming to be 'only kidding' before writing a weird long angry tirade about someone before pretending to flounce off.
    And yes, the Bond Fireblade would make for a better Bond than Chalamet. I'm absolutely sure of it.

Honda.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Mmm @Pierce2Daniel, while we stand very agreed on Robert Pattinson, if it wasn't for The Batman, I completely disagree regarding Aaron Taylor. He certainly made an impression on me, and I was very excited to see him in the role he was given. And while Tenet was not his best performance, he certainly has something and fits the role of Bond more so than Chalamet imo.

And if Aaron's voice is the only issue, it's a good job he's an actor with range.

Although either way, Chalamet is now part of the planned Dune franchise. I also think Chalamet could easily be a villain in the future but not James Bond, but I also don't see him growing out of his boyishness anytime soon, which would not work for Bond. An early 30s actor who can still be seen as a man, yes, but a late 20s actor who could still get away with being in high school, I don't think will happen. Even given the probable long gap between now and Bond 26.

I also don't think Chalamet or Pattinson are comparable. The perfect thing with Pattinson is that while he's a different route, he still easily represents the character of Batman and Bruce Wayne. Pattinson is not a boy, Chalamet still looks like one, and while that doesn't make him any less of an actor, I think that'll really be a wrong route to take with James Bond.

Dornan has a good a shot as any, although I'll be very surprised. I'm also yet to impressed by his acting skills to be honest with you. I think his career needs more of a boost than The Fall, as while maybe successful, I'm yet to see any real buzz for it myself.

I also still champion Callum Turner by the way, which will come as no surprise to anyone.
    Anyway I'm just gonna put this here again, as I think I've been quite reasonable.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

How do you mean, out of interest? Are there google rankings or something?
    I need to watch it, it was really well regarded at the time.

Oh my, even though I've written about your playground social tactics, you're still doing it. Laughable. Do carry on. Keep gathering kudos from everyone if that makes you feel better. How sensible you are.

Yes, I'm actually trying to be friendly to people because I'm interested in and open to their thoughts. If you're trying to show me up for that then good job, but I think it speaks more about you than me. It's better than claiming to be 'only kidding' before writing a weird long angry tirade about someone.
    And yes, the Bond Fireblade would make for a better Bond than Chalamet. I'm absolutely sure of it.

Honda.

The only angry tirades I've ever written in these forums were to Panchito Pistoles and you. Everything else was always normal forum bantering and fun. And that says a lot about you, I think. It says enough. You're friendly to people? Really? You, sir, are tiresome. I've tried my best to be in the same room than you. But I can't if you keep engaging as the "protector of the realm". So please feel free to imagine I'm not here. You don't even need to read my posts or to intervene constantly as a "protector" when I'm engaged in a conversation with another. People here know how to fend for themselves. Just skip over my texts. And don't engage. We'll be fine then, I suppose. I've considered leaving, but I've been here since 99, probably, and I won't leave for the likes of you, so skedaddle, scadoodle, skidoo, skadoosh from my posts and conversations, if you please.

And if you don't understand hyperbole, here's one for you.

ycnGJh.gif

Should we dislike Partridge or Coogan for that?

Please, don't answer. I'm kidding. And you don't understand that.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I like Dornan a lot. He's great in The Siege Of Jadotville.

I don't dislike him. He's not a strange or weird proposal. I even like the so called "crazy eyes". They give him some gravitas. If he puts on a more deep commanding voice and swagger, I say he's a proper candidate.

Kind of reminds me of Connery in The Hill.

jadotville-one-sheet-1-1024x768.jpg

BTW, thanks for the suggestion, didn't know about The Siege of Jadotville. Seems like a good flick. Will give it a watch :)

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Kind of reminds me of Connery in The Hill. BTW, thanks for the suggestion, didn't know about The Siege of Jadotville. Seems like a good flick. Will give it a watch :)
    I'll have to check these out as Dornan is yet to resonate with me as an actor.
    Kind of reminds me of Connery in The Hill. BTW, thanks for the suggestion, didn't know about The Siege of Jadotville. Seems like a good flick. Will give it a watch :)
    I'll have to check these out as Dornan is yet to resonate with me as an actor.

Oh, @Denbigh, if you haven't seen The Hill, please do. It's one of Connery's best. You'll love it, I'm sure.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Definitely will @Univex I'll let you know when I've had the chance.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I need to see him in more stuff; may well check out that one. Weird how his accent seems a bit off in the trailer considering where he's from! :D