Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    mtm wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    If The Batman is really successful, I wouldn't put it past EON to go for an actor in his early 30s.
    I'm sure that's where they'd be looking anyway in the hope they can get a long run out of him. Doesn't mean they'll necessarily pick one that age though: that was the aim with the last one but they found Craig instead.
    That's true.
    Stick anybody in a suit and they could be Bond these days, it seems! :-?

Exactly :(
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Stick anybody in a suit and they could be Bond these days, it seems! :-?
    There's that and then there's realistic personal preference or suggestions.
  • I watched that Crimes of Grindelwald the other day. I noticed Callum Turner's presence even though he only had a small part and poor posture. There's something there, quite mature but I'm not sure if he has the attractive features for the ladies.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I watched that Crimes of Grindelwald the other day. I noticed Callum Turner's presence even though he only had a small part and poor posture. There's something there, quite mature but I'm not sure if he has the attractive features for the ladies.
    Good choice @DewiWynBond ;) I actually know quite a few people personally, myself include, who find Callum very attractive, but I'm aware of how divisive his looks are.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 14,933
    Yeah I'll take presence over good looks any day: it's not like I have to find the guy attractive!
    Brosnan seems more conventionally handsome than Craig, but Craig has presence and a sort of masculine sex appeal that Brosnan doesn't if you ask me. Or Roger even: chiselled like a cartoon character but I'm not sure he's really described as sexy very often. I like to believe the ladies would swoon for our man.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    I watched that Crimes of Grindelwald the other day. I noticed Callum Turner's presence even though he only had a small part and poor posture. There's something there, quite mature but I'm not sure if he has the attractive features for the ladies.
    Good choice @DewiWynBond ;) I actually know quite a few people personally, myself include, who find Callum very attractive, but I'm aware of how divisive his looks are.

You're his No 1 fanboy 😂
    He just looked commanding in his suit and I thought he has a similar build to Craig, and similar ears lol. Who knows, a short sharp haircut can make one look instantly attractive.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Haha I am indeed @DewiWynBond haha :) You should check him out in The Capture if you can.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Liam Neeson.
    For some reason, I've never really been able to picture Bale as Bond – despite the fact that he'd probably be great in the role. My indifference towards the Batman films might have something to do with it.

I love Bale as Batman. Not a fan of any other in the role. But that's why I can't for the life of me picture Bale as Bond. He's Batman.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    For some reason, I've never really been able to picture Bale as Bond – despite the fact that he'd probably be great in the role. My indifference towards the Batman films might have something to do with it.

I love Bale as Batman. Not a fan of any other in the role. But that's why I can't for the life of me picture Bale as Bond. He's Batman.

It's usually the first role you think of when Bale is mentioned, so it's easy to understand that.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Yeah I'll take presence over good looks any day: it's not like I have to find the guy attractive!
    Brosnan seems more conventionally handsome than Craig, but Craig has presence and a sort of masculine sex appeal that Brosnan doesn't if you ask me. Or Roger even: chiselled like a cartoon character but I'm not sure he's really described as sexy very often. I like to believe the ladies would swoon for our man.

The ladies tend to swoon over actors no matter how they look, don't they ?
    I bet Barbara is kicking herself for not snatching Robert Pattinson for Bond before WB got to him.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I bet Barbara is kicking herself for not snatching Robert Pattinson for Bond before WB got to him.

Not really, from the trailer it looks like he haven't left his vampire image behind, just look at the haircut. But maybe they cast him for not a typical batman, maybe they wanted something new or fresh take on Batman, who knows.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    He has definitely left that image behind @Resurrection, just watch anything else he's been in.
    Would any of the Ro-Pat-for-Bond supporters say that one could picture him while reading the novels?

Just asking...
    Denbigh wrote: »
    He has definitely left that image behind @Resurrection, just watch anything else he's been in.

I have watched every single film people recommend, he is decent actor but nothing special i could say, especially in the same league as Craig. As i said i am willing to give him a chance. If this film turned out to be great, I will be the first one to praise him ;)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited August 2020 Posts: 8,026
    Univex wrote: »
    Would any of the Ro-Pat-for-Bond supporters say that one could picture him while reading the novels?

Just asking...

No, but for comparison, I can't picture Craig either.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Just asking...

Oddly I can just about as he has a fairly similar attitude to the book Bond. I try to imagine Connery but oddly he never seems to fit for me. But really none of the screen Bonds come to mind when I'm reading them, it's more someone like Richard Johnson as Bulldog Drummond.

deadlier-than-the-male-3.png

Pattinson I think could fit that mould: he's actually got a bit of a 50s look to him I'd say.
    It's usually Connery or Dalton for me.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I should say quickly I don’t think he’s gonna be Bond at all. He’s Batman now, but I do think he had potential for it.

And @Univex, probably not naturally as I don’t really imagine any actor while reading the novels, but if someone asked me to imagine him, I definitely could.
    It's usually Connery or Dalton for me.

Dalton for me as well.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Since I was about 5 I always loved Connery and Dalts the most. This hasn't changed. Both great interpretations. One immortal, the other Fleming Bond.
  • Univex wrote: »

Just asking...

I honestly can’t picture any of them anymore. I think I pictured Dalton at first, then Lazenby (the two who I think are closest). But re-reading them I find it really hard not to see the novel Bond as his own thing.
    Meh, boys.

Bond should be a man.

I agree, and I’ve said before that because of how much better people age nowadays, I’d rather an actor in his 40s for one or two films, than an actor in his late 20s/early 30s who we have to wait to grow into the role (looks wise). But I think sadly that’s just not realistic in this day and age, with how franchised everything is and how long the gaps are. They’ll want someone young enough to build a long term franchise around. There’s also the physical side too. They can’t go back to the days of over relying on stuntmen, but I bet they’re sick of Craig’s injuries. So, personally, I’ve forced myself to come to terms with the next Bond being a bit more baby faced than we’re used to. I think it’d be fine so long as they have the charisma and presence to make up for it.

This is why I don’t agree with some of the suggestions though. Too many toffs. If we’re going to have a baby faced Bond then he at least needs to look dangerous. Not poncey. If I suggest Jack O Connell I’ll just be met with cries of “too short”, but I think for a younger actor to work, it at least needs to be someone of that ilk. Someone who can do dangerous.

A young looking Roger Moore type for example, would be unbearable imo. You need to look older to pull off a lighter Bond. When Moore did the one liners and stuff, you get the sense of him being a man who’s lived long enough to be completely at ease with himself. Old and confident enough to have a wry laugh. But combine that smug poncey archetype with a babyfaced, younger look, and he’d seem annoying imo. Like a jumped up posh kid. You need to be older to pull off a lighter Bond.

But I think a Craig/Connery type in his late 20s/early 30s could work, so long as they had real presence and charisma.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Just asking...

I honestly can’t picture any of them anymore. I think I pictured Dalton at first, then Lazenby (the two who I think are closest). But re-reading them I find it really hard not to see the novel Bond as his own thing.

Yeah Lazenby is the one that comes closest to working for me because he's got the right sort of period look (nearly) and doesn't really have a strong personality in the film so I can project book Bond's thoughts onto him.
    Meh, boys.

Bond should be a man.

I agree, and I’ve said before that because of how much better people age nowadays, I’d rather an actor in his 40s for one or two films, than an actor in his late 20s/early 30s who we have to wait to grow into the role (looks wise). But I think sadly that’s just not realistic in this day and age, with how franchised everything is and how long the gaps are. They’ll want someone young enough to build a long term franchise around. There’s also the physical side too. They can’t go back to the days of over relying on stuntmen, but I bet they’re sick of Craig’s injuries. So, personally, I’ve forced myself to come to terms with the next Bond being a bit more baby faced than we’re used to. I think it’d be fine so long as they have the charisma and presence to make up for it.

This is why I don’t agree with some of the suggestions though. Too many toffs. If we’re going to have a baby faced Bond then he at least needs to look dangerous. Not poncey. If I suggest Jack O Connell I’ll just be met with cries of “too short”, but I think for a younger actor to work, it at least needs to be someone of that ilk. Someone who can do dangerous.

Yep, agreed there.

A young looking Roger Moore type for example, would be unbearable imo. You need to look older to pull off a lighter Bond. When Moore did the one liners and stuff, you get the sense of him being a man who’s lived long enough to be completely at ease with himself. Old and confident enough to have a wry laugh. But combine that smug poncey archetype with a babyfaced, younger look, and he’d seem annoying imo. Like a jumped up posh kid. You need to be older to pull off a lighter Bond.

But I think a Craig/Connery type in his late 20s/early 30s could work, so long as they had real presence and charisma.

Great post, and it's something to remember when making suggestions, for sure.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I’m trying to think of anyone who plays things light in a way that’s anywhere close to Roger in comparable movies. Ryan Reynolds? I guess Dwayne Johnson can if it’s right for the film. You don’t seem to get many leads like that.
    I’m trying to think of anyone who plays things light in a way that’s anywhere close to Roger in comparable movies. Ryan Reynolds? I guess Dwayne Johnson can if it’s right for the film. You don’t seem to get many leads like that.

They're becoming all the more rare I think. Reynolds has a lightness of touch to him for sure, but his brand of comedy is a lot more extreme in comparison with Roger. He's less graceful.

Names that spring to mind for me are the George Clooney or Brad Pitt types, but even they are a bit different. Roger was very unique, all in all!
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Superb post by @thelivingroyale

I will say this. Connery, Moore, and other actors of that vintage like Caine, were all men by the time they got to acting. They had all done National Service, and while I don't want to come across as supporting the reintroduction of National Service, it did mean that they had a man's confidence by the time they got into acting and had seen a world (immediately post war) that put acting in perspecitve. The current crop of young British actors whose names are being put forward simply don't have that and never can.

Whoever it is has to BE Bond, not act at it.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    How about this guy as bond... :)>-

hi-res-461825537-lionel-messi-of-fc-barcelona-leaves-the-vicente_crop_north.jpg?h=533&w=800&q=70&crop_x=center&crop_y=top