Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Eric Bana I think had too soft a face for Bond. That's why I'm spite of his size I thought he played a convincing Bruce Banner: he looks mild mannered and vulnerable. Very good actor and completely undeserving of the obscurity he fell into. But not quite James Bond.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Eric Bana I think had too soft a face for Bond. That's why I'm spite of his size I thought he played a convincing Bruce Banner: he looks mild mannered and vulnerable. Very good actor and completely undeserving of the obscurity he fell into. But not quite James Bond.

I agree. Always have. Bana is no Bond.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I read somewhere that Barbara's first choice to replace Brosnan was Christian Bale. Because Barbara liked his electric performance in American Psycho....even if he played a Villian there. But Bale turned down the offer.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 6,677
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I read somewhere that Barbara's first choice to replace Brosnan was Christian Bale. Because Barbara liked his electric performance in American Psycho....even if he played a Villian there. But Bale turned down the offer.

I would've loved him as Bond back then. But to tell you the truth, I don't quite see him as Bond now.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 17,295
    For some reason, I've never really been able to picture Bale as Bond – despite the fact that he'd probably be great in the role. My indifference towards the Batman films might have something to do with it.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Bale should have done it instead of Batman.
    Bale is one of my favourite actors since Empire of the Sun, and I love American Psycho. But I don't think he would be a good Bond.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Univex wrote: »

I would've loved him as Bond back then. But to tell you the truth, I don't quite see him as Bond now.

Yeah, I get your point. All you see now is Batman. It's a similar thing trying to envisage Craig as Batman.
    For some reason, I've never really been able to picture Bale as Bond – despite the fact that he'd probably be great in the role. My indifference towards the Batman films might have something to do with it.

Yeah, I think that might be it. But very tough for us to know what might have been though.
    Bale should have done it instead of Batman.

Yeah, it would have been great, if he gave it a shot back then.

Yeah, I think that might be it. But very tough for us to know what might have been though.

He very much ticks (or ticked) the right boxes, that's for sure.

He very much ticks (or ticked) the right boxes, that's for sure.

Yeah, he looked the part.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I read somewhere that Bale doesn’t like Bond. He said something along the lines of Bond representing the worst of Britain.
    I read somewhere that Bale doesn’t like Bond. He said something along the lines of Bond representing the worst of Britain.

True, I read that too. He mentioned something like Despicable Stereotype.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I can't really picture Bale as Bond. Great actor, but it wouldn't fit, for me.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

That was it, yes.
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    Roadphill wrote: »

As much as I like Bale in American Psycho, the Machinist. and the Dark Knight trilogy, I don’t think he’d be a good Bond.

If anything, Tom Hardy should be the next Bond. Even if he does enjoy playing the bad guy more than the good guy.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom

As much as I like Bale in American Psycho, the Machinist. and the Dark Knight trilogy, I don’t think he’d be a good Bond.

If anything, Tom Hardy should be the next Bond. Even if he does enjoy playing the bad guy more than the good guy.

Eh, I kind of feel the same way about Tom Hardy. Good actor, but not Bond for me. I still think the obvious choices are Aiden Turner or Henry Cavill, but I suspect EON with throw us a curve ball.
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England

Eh, I kind of feel the same way about Tom Hardy. Good actor, but not Bond for me. I still think the obvious choices are Aiden Turner or Henry Cavill, but I suspect EON with throw us a curve ball.

Cavill as Bond doesn’t sound bad. I just didn't think he was a convincing Superman.

That was it, yes.

Yeah, that was it.
    James Purefoy was considered twice, but lost to Brosnan and Craig....that's GE & CR. Although, in Craig's time I think he ruled himself out or so.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Dominic West.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Cavill as Bond doesn’t sound bad. I just didn't think he was a convincing Superman.

If you ask me it's very difficult to play an engaging Superman, as the character is increadably flat. Let's face it, Superman is just a boring invention. The guy is so strong tht nothing can beat him, except some rock from his home planet that's hardly around in abundance. In other words, there's no danger, there's no struggle. It's like watching the formula 1 and let Hamilton race a couple of children in gocarts.

If you ask me it's very difficult to play an engaging Superman, as the character is increadably flat. Let's face it, Superman is just a boring invention. The guy is so strong tht nothing can beat him, except some rock from his home planet that's hardly around in abundance. In other words, there's no danger, there's no struggle. It's like watching the formula 1 and let Hamilton race a couple of children in gocarts.

Exactly! This is what I've been trying to tell my friends for years....Superman is like a Greek god.
    200.gif

The recent Batman news has got me thinking...

In no less than 2 years we will have 3 actors play the role. That's right, THREE. Furthermore, there are plans cinematically to have at least two different iterations of the character on the screen moving forward. Both played by pretty terrific and well-known actors.

I feel the Batman brand is about to get very over-saturated. The person who will suffer most is Robert Pattinson. He's already getting heat for being the 'Twilight' guy and for taking over from Ben Affleck (who the fan community are desperate to have return).

I feel that Pattinson is the true incumbent Batman at the moment. But Warner seem intent on undermining him and bringing in a flurry of other Batmen. It feels like a bit of an insult to him.

For example, I can't imagine Barbara Broccoli ever doing this to an incumbent Bond actor. She knows the brand is built around the actor and there is only a change every 10 years or so. Then the focus is placed on making the new guy 007 in the public consciousness.

I really think Pattinson should jump ship. Forget Batman as clearly Warner aren't sold on him as the future of that franchise. Then he can be the new 007!!!

XefLGl3t_o.jpg?resize=500%2C375&ssl=1
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 14,980
    The recent Batman news has got me thinking...

In no less than 2 years we will have 3 actors play the role. That's right, THREE.

Well, in the next movie (The Flash) I think it's looking like there will be three! :D

I think there was an article in some paper today saying that Pattinson would be the next 007. I didn't click on it as it pretty obviously made up from the headline, and probably just a Tenet promo anyway.
    He would seem a lot more suited to Bond than Batman, but I guess Batman can be the more interesting acting role.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Not really sure how Pattinson can be seen as the "true incumbent" when he's the only one of the three that actually hasn't been seen on screen yet.
    Shrugs I am happy batman is getting a few films
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Not really sure how Pattinson can be seen as the "true incumbent" when he's the only one of the three that actually hasn't been seen on screen yet.

Well he was supposed to be the new proper one, wasn't he? And he's the only one who's actually the star of a standalone Batman film- something Affleck never actually managed.

But who knows, maybe they'll throw us a curveball and he'll die at the end or something.
    Does seem like Pattinson may be getting a bit short changed on the BATMAN front with Affleck, Keaton, and whoever else wants to come back returning to the role.

I must admit envy as part of me wishes we were over saturated with Bond rather than Batman.
    Imagine Daniel coming back for one more simultaneously while Aidan Turner, Cavill or somebody else assumes the role. Throw in a new Dalton Bond film while we're at it and I'd be a very happy Bond fan.