Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I think acting is important in the fact that the guy should be an actor. His level as an actor thought could be anything. I just don't want Bond to become an experiment on whether they can turn a model into an actor. An actor whose previously done modelling, fine, but for it to be their first role. I don't know about that at all.

Exactly, that's s recipe for a disaster. The director would be like "CUT! Just say the line 'Bond... James Bond.' You're fidgeting too much, and stop looking into the camera, you have one job."

• FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Lewis Collins' most Bondian performance is in Who Dares Wins (called The Final Option in the USA). He plays an undercover SAS man. Has to seduce a woman to get 'in'. He also did a couple more of those Euro War films Ala Codename Wild Geese where he plays it very similar.

He was also classically trained I believe, as well as being into martial arts and he even enrolled in the SAS TA.

Anyway, that's all by the by. RIP.

Denbigh wrote: »
    He’s Superman and The Witcher.

He's also huge. I don' exactly remember how Fleming described Bond's build but I seem to recall there was a discussion about Craig being to muscular. Compared to Cavill, Craig is quite ... lithe? (no offense meant, I can't really find the right word). Especially in MI and The Witcher I remember thinking Cavill was just an incredibly big human being.

I know modern actors and trainers can do a lot to shape body form, but he might just be too muscular for me.

Yeah he's pretty big.

4000.jpg?width=605&quality=45&auto=format&fit=max&dpr=2&s=2865d744eaaec1e01172ff9755ac9341

To me that's just not how Bond is supposed to look. And every time I see him I just see Superman. To me he's one of the worst candidates, I didn't really even want to put him on my list/collage thing. And not only is he The Witcher and Superman, he's about to be Sherlock Holmes in a movie that's about to come out. Imagine seeing someone as Superman, and then on U.N.C.L.E., and then as Superman again, and then in MI and then as Sherlock Holmes, and then as James Bond, and then as Superman again, and then Bond again, etc. And he's a huge underwear-model-looking dude. I don't see why anyone supports him as Bond. Doesn't look like Bond, too famous, too iconic as Superman and other roles, etc.

All fair points. Who do you suggest, then?
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited August 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Richard Burton would have been a Bond in the same vein as Dalton and Craig.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 14,993
    Lewis Collins' most Bondian performance is in Who Dares Wins (called The Final Option in the USA). He plays an undercover SAS man. Has to seduce a woman to get 'in'. He also did a couple more of those Euro War films Ala Codename Wild Geese where he plays it very similar.

He was also classically trained I believe, as well as being into martial arts and he even enrolled in the SAS TA.

Anyway, that's all by the by. RIP.

Yeah I haven't seen WDW in years but it's not on YouTube that I could find.

I think he could have been a really good Bond. It's certainly not hard to imagine him in For Your Eyes Only.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Watched The Wild Geese again recently (not Codename Wildgeese with Collins - it can get confusing!), and I thought the same.

Watched The Wild Geese again recently (not Codename Wildgeese with Collins - it can get confusing!), and I thought the same.

Yeah, very true.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Richard Burton's most Bondian performance is in Where Eagles Dare.

Amazingly he was only 43 in it: that's the booze for you I guess.
    mtm wrote: »
    Richard Burton's most Bondian performance is in Where Eagles Dare.

Amazingly he was only 43 in it: that's the booze for you I guess.

Yeah, he was good in that as well.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Rupert Friend made some readings back in 2005.
    Maybe we should simply cast Robbie Williams as Bond and get him to sing the theme song as well. Nah! Just an expensive joke....I just felt I post something to make the atmosphere more amiable.

• sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex

As would Michael Jayston, who played Peter Guillam in the BBC's adaptation of le Carré's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, and has a terrific voice. Apparently up for the role in 1980, but Roger returned.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

As would Michael Jayston, who played Peter Guillam in the BBC's adaptation of le Carré's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, and has a terrific voice. Apparently up for the role in 1980, but Roger returned.

And played 007 on the radio of course. I must admit I can't quite see him as Bond though.

Yeah, he's a great actor. But just like @mtm alluded to, I've never thought of him as a theatrical Bond....I think he might have been a great M or Q or even a great Bond Villain.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    He was apparently the star of Quiller, a short-lived spy TV series based on the same books The Quiller Memorandum was adapted from, but I've not seen that (and with most of the episodes having been destroyed by the BBC, I imagine I'll have little chance).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, I think it got pretty bad reviews that I saw, sadly.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Whoever EON choose, I trust them to get it right. We have always had the right Bond at the right time (maybe Lazenby, aside). I've never been Craig's biggest fan, but when you consider that Clive Owen and Julian McMahon where the alternative's ? Be glad for what we have had.
  • kuifje_007kuifje_007 Belgium
    edited August 2020 Posts: 8
    Daniel Craig was doing a great job but I think Clive Owen would be a better Bond. Unfortunately, now it is too late to cast Owen because he is already 56 year old.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I must say I find Owen a pretty dull performer, I think we got the right guy.
  • kuifje_007 wrote: »
    Daniel Craig was doing a great job but I think Clive Owen would be a better Bond. Unfortunately, now it is too late to cast Owen because he is already 56 year old.

He publicly stated he wasn't interested in the role.
    Luke Evans will always be the “should have been Bond” for me. Watching “The Alienist” just reinforced that belief. He’s the only one I could image kicking Dan’s proverbial derriere in a fight, and had the style and presence to go with it. Furthermore, he’s Welsh, just like my previous favourite. Oh well, it’s so sad that we now live in a time when being 41 makes you too old to play Bond. That’s ridiculous.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Evans is Welsh, but if you're referring to Dalton I still stick to my guns that, if anything, he's more American than Welsh! :)
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Evans is Welsh, but if you're referring to Dalton I still stick to my guns that, if anything, he's more American than Welsh! :)

No, he's definitely far more Welsh than American!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Dalton is more English than Welsh, but as far as I was aware, he is still a British citizen, just living across the pond.

Stanley Baker, Richard Burton, Mervin Johns, Michael Sheen, they are a Welsh actors.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Dalton is more English than Welsh, but as far as I was aware, he is still a British citizen, just living across the pond.

Stanley Baker, Richard Burton, Mervin Johns, Michael Sheen, they are a Welsh actors.

I read somewhere that Dalts doesn't particularly regard himself as Welsh because he moved with his family to England when he was very young. He's a citizen of the world, much like Lazzer.
    Then we have Rog who is a cockney,and Brozzer who is an Anglo/American Irishman
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    NicNac wrote: »

I read somewhere that Dalts doesn't particularly regard himself as Welsh because he moved with his family to England when he was very young. He's a citizen of the world, much like Lazzer.

What's DC , a scouser ? :)>-
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Roadphill wrote: »

No, he's definitely far more Welsh than American!

I'd say he was always definitely way more American than Welsh in that he was born half-American (American mum) and now is presumably an American citizen. He was born in Wales and lived there as a toddler, but I wouldn't say that living somewhere for three years makes you more Welsh if half of your actual family comes from America.
    He's from Derbyshire, really.

According to Pearson, James Bond was born in Germany. Does anyone think he's German? :)
    NicNac wrote: »

What's DC , a scouser ? :)>-

He's an American now! So NTTD is the first Bond film to star an American actor as Bond :)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2020 Posts: 13,894
    If he is now an American, that should have expedited his departure from the series. ;)

When did it happen, by the way? I figured he was one British actor that wouldn't have his head turned by the glittery lights, and carve out a career as a character actor here.
    Evans would be perfect and quite frankly even post Covid I don't want a bond actor tooo young.

Luke Evans for a duology Tom Hardy for a trilogy either one would be fine with me
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    If he is now an American, that should have expedited his departure from the series. ;)

Doesn’t matter, does it?
    When did it happen, by the way? I figured he was one British actor that wouldn't have his head turned by the glittery lights, and carve out a career as a character actor here.

I don’t think it’s been made public, but I think he was talking about it around the time Knives Out was released. He’s lived in NYC for years I think.