Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Cool image! I guess Anglo-Saxon background is another criteria. Also did some height-challenged candidates in that image bribe their way in past the 5'10" threshold?))

On a serious note, I like Turner, Madden, Cullen, and Stevens.

As far as I know all the candidates are 5'10 or over. The only two that come close that I know of are Madden, who is supposedly 5'10, and Claflin who is supposedly 5'11. Tiny Jack O'Connell did get left out though.
    @HarmonyRockets Good work, but Sam Heughan is 40 and therefore not eligible for your list. Also I'm disappointed to not see Stuart Martin. I notice you included his Jamestown co-star Ben Starr. Martin is the better option IMO.

Thanks for telling me about Heughan, I don't know how I missed that. I could have sworn he was younger.

To me Stuart Martin just doesn't really look Bond enough when he doesn't have the beard, but maybe I'll add him. Is the show Jamestown any good? I might try watching it. I wasn't really sure about Starr, as I haven't seen him in anything. I know Jamestown also has Matt Stokoe, who was mentioned as a possible candidate by Denbigh a few pages back.
    26 Bond candidates. British and Australian actors only, 37 or younger.

0seu8l31j2e51.jpg

Full size image.

my top 5 from there

1. Jack Bannon
    2. Nicholas Hoult
    3. Henry Cavil
    4. Dan Stevens ( i never saw him in anything but have heard he is good)
    5. Aaron Taylor Johnson

The list above shows me how little i know of up and coming british actors
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited August 2020 Posts: 4,247
    I would accept Henry Cavill as James Bond in a heartbeat. But he's already a megastar now. I would be surprised, if he gets an audition again....I just want to face the reality, that his time as a potential Bond is over....so I don't end up hurting my feelings, wishing for him to be Bond.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I would accept Henry Cavill as James Bond in a heartbeat. But he's already a megastar now. I would be surprised, if he gets an audition again....I just want to face the reality, that his time as a potential Bond is over....so I don't end up hurting my feelings, wishing for him to be Bond.

Can't help but feel the same every time I watch U.N.C.L.E. And they did say his screen-test was excellent. Martin Campbell's favourite.
    Out of the names in the photo above, I see no better candidate than Henry Cavill. I know many here have reservations about him, but he's my favourite (by far) of that group of actors.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Well to be honest there is the sort of Unknown/ mega star pattern that has been going on with 007

Lazenby: Unknown
    Moore: well known star
    Dalton: unknown
    Brosnan: well known star
    Craig: unknown
    Cavill :well Known super Star?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    He’s Superman and The Witcher.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Denbigh wrote: »

He's also huge. I don' exactly remember how Fleming described Bond's build but I seem to recall there was a discussion about Craig being to muscular. Compared to Cavill, Craig is quite ... lithe? (no offense meant, I can't really find the right word). Especially in MI and The Witcher I remember thinking Cavill was just an incredibly big human being.

I know modern actors and trainers can do a lot to shape body form, but he might just be too muscular for me.
    I'm still up for Sean Teale as well.

cast_Incorporated_SeanTeale.jpg

He looks a lot like Sean Connery in that pic.

He's also huge. I don' exactly remember how Fleming described Bond's build but I seem to recall there was a discussion about Craig being to muscular. Compared to Cavill, Craig is quite ... lithe? (no offense meant, I can't really find the right word). Especially in MI and The Witcher I remember thinking Cavill was just an incredibly big human being.

I know modern actors and trainers can do a lot to shape body form, but he might just be too muscular for me.

He is muscular but I wouldn't call him huge. Id guess him no more than 190 maybe 200lbs at best compare that to someone like Batista or Dwayne The Rock Johnson who are tipping upper 260's 270s
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Cavill would have been a natural successor.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    My feeling would be, given the potential threat to the entire series, to give the next one to a safe choice just to steady the ship. Cavill, despite his visibility, would work well and be likely to be popular with most audiences (even if the critics would somewhat unfairly compare him to Craig). Make three quick films with him and once Bond is re-established as the premier spy/action franchise, more riskier and edgier choices can be considered.

It's a little bit like when you need Sam Allardyce or Steve Bruce to come in and tide things over for the time and stop any impending disaster. (British posters will understand the analogy, I think).

Other than Cavill, Fassbender would work. The caveat with both of these would be that EON would produce them quickly - 3 in 6 years ideally. By that stage the younger guys on the list will have matured.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 2020 Posts: 5,869
    If Cavill is cast as Bond then people aren't gonna get these frequent adventures that they want because he's tied to two other expensive properties. If you thought Craig's run was sparse, just cast Cavill and see what would happen.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 14,948
    Cavill would be fine, but not much more than that. I thought he was a bit of a walking cardboard cutout in UNCLE, and the only better-than-decent performance I've seen him give was in Fallout.
    He has proven he could lead a movie though, so wouldn't be a risky choice, but I think they could do better. The only other two options in terms of experience I see there are Stevens and Hoult. Both would be more interesting I think.
    If Cavill is cast as Bond then people aren't gonna get these frequent adventures that they want because he's tied to two other expensive properties. If you thought Craig's run was sparse, just cast Cavill and see what would happen.

Is he still Superman? I get the point about Cavill being tied to other properties. That's a black mark against him. He is the closest choice though based on his look and ability. The rest are nowhere near. They really aren't. I accept Cavill is more of a Moore or Brosnan, and henceforth probably not the coolest choice, but we're in the territory of the franchise ending imminently.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Is he still Superman? I get the point about Cavill being tied to other properties. That's a black mark against him. He is the closest choice though based on his look and ability. The rest are nowhere near. They really aren't. I accept Cavill is more of a Moore or Brosnan, and henceforth probably not the coolest choice, but we're in the territory of the franchise ending imminently.
    I believe he's still in talks for Superman things, and may be appearing as the character in the Black Adam movie.
    At this point I don't care, as long as he can make the films. If he can't, then fair enough, you have a point. I am more talking about getting the next actor to be a safe choice, whoever that is. But as discussed, there really is no other safe choice.
    I think Eon track down THIS legend to replace Craig. Granted he's in his mid sixties by now but I imagine he's still in decent shape.

Here he is...................

the iconic contender for THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS..........

the man himself.....................

FINLAY LIGHT!

finlay-light.jpg
    I really like Cavill, but I would be surprised if he auditions, let alone become Bond....because of obvious reasons. Am even surprised he's still being mentioned. Sadly, Cavill is now in the same realm as Fassbender & Hiddleston....as the guys who fame took Bond away from them. But we still have very good and mystery names available.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I think Eon track down THIS legend to replace Craig. Granted he's in his mid sixties by now but I imagine he's still in decent shape.

FINLAY LIGHT!

finlay-light.jpg

Cool, I love checking out those names that were floated around the time of changeovers.

For me, the best Bond we never had was Lewis Collins. Ian Ogilvy would have been great too, but probably would have just delivered the same performance as he did in The Saint. But Collins for me could have worked really well in the Dalton/Craig mode.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 15,803

FINLAY LIGHT!

finlay-light.jpg

Cool, I love checking out those names that were floated around the time of changeovers.

For me, the best Bond we never had was Lewis Collins. Ian Ogilvy would have been great too, but probably would have just delivered the same performance as he did in The Saint. But Collins for me could have worked really well in the Dalton/Craig mode.

Funny you should mention Ogilvy. Been watching some RETURN OF THE SAINT episodes recently. Hes a bit more serious than Roger, and I think he would have been a dashing 007. He's tough as nails in WITCHFINDER GENERAL.
    He did some Bondian Diet Coke commercials similar to Pierce's in the early '90's.
    I have this hunch that anything after Craig may just be one-offs considering the gaps.
    I think Ian should play Bond now since Eon is on an older, retired Bond fixation lately.
    Pity Lewis Collins passed away. He'd have made an excellent Bond as well, IMO.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Maybe a dumb question but how important is acting ability to you guys in comparison to look, action ability, charm and so on.

I know these sometimes go hand in hand but if for example the next era would return more to the fun, escapist tendencies dramatic acting ability is less important of course..
  • Maybe a dumb question but how important is acting ability to you guys in comparison to look, action ability, charm and so on.

I know these sometimes go hand in hand but if for example the next era would return more to the fun, escapist tendencies dramatic acting ability is less important of course..

Acting ability varies from actor to actor. Anyone could jump in and do crash courses and voice tutoring before production. What they need is experience of being on set, a professionalism of working with a director and staff. Then you can throw in your cheeky one-liners.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 14,948

FINLAY LIGHT!

finlay-light.jpg

I think perhaps Ogilvy wouldn't have given his Saint performance as he was actually consciously doing a Cary Grant voice for it wasn't he?
    I think Collins would've been pretty good too, maybe not Roger levels of charisma but I think he would brought a bit of low level Connery to it. A bit more alpha male than Dalton.

lewis-bond.jpg
    Maybe a dumb question but how important is acting ability to you guys in comparison to look, action ability, charm and so on.

Personally I think it's most important, although if they have movie star presence that's a good alternative. Appearance is secondary.
  • Denbigh wrote: »

Yeah he's pretty big.

4000.jpg?width=605&quality=45&auto=format&fit=max&dpr=2&s=2865d744eaaec1e01172ff9755ac9341

To me that's just not how Bond is supposed to look. And every time I see him I just see Superman. To me he's one of the worst candidates, I didn't really even want to put him on my list/collage thing. And not only is he The Witcher and Superman, he's about to be Sherlock Holmes in a movie that's about to come out. Imagine seeing someone as Superman, and then on U.N.C.L.E., and then as Superman again, and then in MI and then as Sherlock Holmes, and then as James Bond, and then as Superman again, and then Bond again, etc. And he's a huge underwear-model-looking dude. I don't see why anyone supports him as Bond. Doesn't look like Bond, too famous, too iconic as Superman and other roles, etc.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I think acting is important in the fact that the guy should be an actor. His level as an actor though could be anything. I just don't want Bond to become an experiment on whether they can turn a model into an actor. An actor whose previously done modelling, fine, but for it to be their first role. I don't know about that at all.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    I think acting is important in the fact that the guy should be an actor. His level as an actor thought could be anything. I just don't want Bond to become an experiment on whether they can turn a model into an actor. An actor whose previously done modelling, fine, but for it to be their first role. I don't know about that at all.

Exactly, that's s recipe for a disaster. The director would be like "CUT! Just say the line 'Bond... James Bond.' You're fidgeting too much, and stop looking into the camera, you have one job."
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 15,803
    I'm always fascinated by the different processes actors go through to bring a character to life. In the audio commentary for AND NOW THE SCREAMING STARTS Ogilvy mentions being trained in a classical British theater style that works externally rather than using the method. Basically "playing" anger or "sadness" as convincing as possible rather than working oneself up emotionally for a scene.
    I tend to speculate that Timothy Dalton was probably trained very much in the same way.
    Same with Sir Roger having also attended RADA.
    Connery, on the other hand learned on the job in his early theater and television days. He also had a wealth of life experience by the age of 31 when he started playing Bond.
    I do wonder if Craig uses a Meisner or Strasberg method, though?
    But to answer the question: YES. I'd say acting chops are very important when playing Bond. What style the actor chooses is whatever works best for him.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Just talking about Lewis Collins earlier made me check out some of his stuff. I think if you go to about ten minutes into this, it's not hard at all to see him as Bond (he's basically playing Bond here) and I think he'd have done a pretty good job. The film is rather bizarrely directed, and there's a car chase at about twenty mins in which you have to see to believe!
    :)

I think the main acting chop a Bond actor needs, is a perfect facial expression for every scene or situation. Because Bond is a laconic character, so ideal facial expressions are indispensable for the Bond actor to succeed, or the actor might struggle a bit and could be found wanting.