Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited July 2020 Posts: 280
    Hey, Lewis isn't that bad! It isn't on the level of Morse, naturally, but Kevin Whately and Laurence Fox were great nonetheless.

And yes, John Thaw would've been a spectacular M. Am I the only one who thinks Whately could've been a good Tanner?
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 17,279
    Agent_One wrote: »
    Hey, Lewis isn't that bad! It isn't on the level of Morse, naturally, but Kevin Whatley and Laurence Fox were great nonetheless.

And yes, John Thaw would've been a spectacular M. Am I the only one who thinks Whatley could've been a good Tanner?

I could easily imagine Kevin Whately as a Michael Kitchen like Tanner. Too old for the part now though, but he could have been a good choice for both the Brosnan and Craig era.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    There's a possibility that the current Mi6 team might be replaced in Bond 26 for the new Bond. But if EON are to retain them, I feel like Noamie Harris might be the one they replace...because of her age, I like her though...but age might be a factor, carrying out her usual repartee with the new Bond. But I would love to see Lucy Griffiths as her replacement.

I can't be sure if I've seen Lucy Griffiths in something or if she just sort of looks like a mix between Juliette Lewis and Claire Foy. Claire Foy could have been an interesting Moneypenny, but she's surely too high-profile for that role now.

True, Foy would have been good as Moneypenny....but after appearing in films like First Man, her profile is now a notch higher.

Griffiths was Lady Marian in BBC One's Robin Hood (2006)....the production wasn't exactly Big Budget, but she was fantastic in the series.

Oh gosh I remember that dreadful series and I don't want Lucy Griffiths anywhere near James Bond. Or anyone from the BBC's Robin Hood for that matter.

Sure, the series isn't that great. But Richard Armitage was in it, before he played Thorin in the Hobbit. Griffiths, like Armitage worked with what she was given....in a bigger and better production, she would also shine.

Armitage was all right. In a good series with intelligent scripts and had he BBC been committed to produce something of quality, he would have played Robin Hood.

On a side note, never ever wish that the BBC adapts the Bond novels into period pieces. They'd cast Jonas Armstrong as Bond and Idris Elba as Hugo Drax.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited July 2020 Posts: 4,247
    There's a possibility that the current Mi6 team might be replaced in Bond 26 for the new Bond. But if EON are to retain them, I feel like Noamie Harris might be the one they replace...because of her age, I like her though...but age might be a factor, carrying out her usual repartee with the new Bond. But I would love to see Lucy Griffiths as her replacement.

I can't be sure if I've seen Lucy Griffiths in something or if she just sort of looks like a mix between Juliette Lewis and Claire Foy. Claire Foy could have been an interesting Moneypenny, but she's surely too high-profile for that role now.

True, Foy would have been good as Moneypenny....but after appearing in films like First Man, her profile is now a notch higher.

Griffiths was Lady Marian in BBC One's Robin Hood (2006)....the production wasn't exactly Big Budget, but she was fantastic in the series.

Oh gosh I remember that dreadful series and I don't want Lucy Griffiths anywhere near James Bond. Or anyone from the BBC's Robin Hood for that matter.

Sure, the series isn't that great. But Richard Armitage was in it, before he played Thorin in the Hobbit. Griffiths, like Armitage worked with what she was given....in a bigger and better production, she would also shine.

Armitage was all right. In a good series with intelligent scripts and had he BBC been committed to produce something of quality, he would have played Robin Hood.

On a side note, never ever wish that the BBC adapts the Bond novels into period pieces. They'd cast Jonas Armstrong as Bond and Idris Elba as Hugo Drax.

Yeah, Armitage could have easily played Robinhood....if deeper thoughts were put into the production. I think Jonas Armstrong was better suited for the not too big-looking nature of the show.

I can't envisage Armstrong as Bond....but I can easily see Elba as a Bond villain. And the BBC's style always had a bit of a 'stage play' feel to their series, that's why they have some Shakespearean TV films....So that style doesn't suit Bond, but works in dramas.

Yeah, Armitage could have easily played Robinhood....if deeper thoughts were put into the production. I think Jonas Armstrong was better suited for the not too big-looking nature of the show.

I can't envisage Armstrong as Bond....but I can easily see Elba as a Bond villain. And the BBC's style always had a bit of a 'stage play' feel to their series, that's why they have some Shakespearean TV films....So that style doesn't suit Bond, but works in dramas.

I can easily imagine Elba as a Bond villain, but casting him as a Nazi would be absurd and look utterly ridiculous.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria

I can easily imagine Elba as a Bond villain, but casting him as a Nazi would be absurd and look utterly ridiculous.

Sure, it would....an original villain would suit him more.
    Am i the only one who thinks Adrian Paul would of been good in the 90's?
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Am i the only one who thinks Adrian Paul would of been good in the 90's?

Yes.
  • 26 Bond candidates. British and Australian actors only, 37 or younger.

0seu8l31j2e51.jpg

Full size image.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,131
    26 Bond candidates. British and Australian actors only, 37 or younger.

0seu8l31j2e51.jpg

Full size image.

Cool.

I personally wouldn’t want an Auzzie playing Bond though. This is Bond not Crocodile Dundee! Lazenby’s worst feature IMO was his very odd attempt at a British/ English accent.....or whatever it was?
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    What? No Chalamet? Joke list.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    What? No Chalamet? Joke list.

Need another list for French speaking Americans.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.

Too many...
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Happy to see Callum and Aaron on the list haha ;)

0seu8l31j2e51.jpg

Full size image.

Good list.
  • suavejmf wrote: »

Cool.

I personally wouldn’t want an Auzzie playing Bond though. This is Bond not Crocodile Dundee! Lazenby’s worst feature IMO was his very odd attempt at a British/ English accent.....or whatever it was?

It was going to be British only, but then I added them at the last second for some reason. As an American I don't really care about the accent. Maybe I'll take them out though, the three Australians on the list aren't really great candidates anyways. Though David Berry played a Brit on the show Outlander I think, so maybe he can do the accent. (Can anyone confirm?)

Here's another list for French speaking American candidates for you:

3d21659f62254812d75b953df09d73db681afc5e.jpg
    Timothee Chalamet
    Denbigh wrote: »

Originally I wasn't even going to put Callum, but then I basically added him because of you.

• MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited July 2020 Posts: 395

0seu8l31j2e51.jpg

Full size image.

Screentest is the key.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Originally I wasn't even going to put Callum, but then I basically added him because of you.
    Thanks mate :)
    MSL49 wrote: »

0seu8l31j2e51.jpg

Full size image.

Screentest is the key.

I agree I look at that group and while Aidan Turner is my top choice. I look at someone like Tom Cullen and his range as an actor and could see him blowing away everyone on that list in a screentest.
    I agree it is a good list and good to see them all together to compare.

For me though, they all look achingly generic except Aidan Turner and Nicholas Hoult. And seeing these images here, Hoult looks the forerunner and would be my choice.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited July 2020 Posts: 2,541

0seu8l31j2e51.jpg

Full size image.

Cool, thanks. After Turner, Theo James is my 2nd choice.
    tenor.gif
  • Among these candidates, and based on his look on this picture, I quite like Ben Aldridge; he probably lacks a sufficient recognition to draw attention to his profile, but, based on his performance in Pennyworth, I think he could be convincing in the role.
  • @HarmonyRockets Good work, but Sam Heughan is 40 and therefore not eligible for your list. Also I'm disappointed to not see Stuart Martin. I notice you included his Jamestown co-star Ben Starr. Martin is the better option IMO.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Among these candidates, and based on his look on this picture, I quite like Ben Aldridge; he probably lacks a sufficient recognition to draw attention to his profile, but, based on his performance in Pennyworth, I think he could be convincing in the role.

He'd be quite a departure too. I bet some Bond fans would react badly! :)
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    edited August 2020 Posts: 722
    mtm wrote: »
    Among these candidates, and based on his look on this picture, I quite like Ben Aldridge; he probably lacks a sufficient recognition to draw attention to his profile, but, based on his performance in Pennyworth, I think he could be convincing in the role.

Okay, I've got to ask: in what way would he be a departure? I've only seen him briefly in the one episode of Pennyworth that I watched, but visually he looks on-model. My biggest issue with him would be that (a) I've not seen him act much, and (b) I think he's not got the sort of high-flyer resumé that I think Eon are going to be looking for.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 14,945
    mtm wrote: »

Okay, I've got to ask: in what way would he be a departure? I've only seen him briefly in the one episode of Pennyworth that I watched, but visually he looks on-model. My biggest issue with him would be that (a) I've not seen him act much, and (b) I think he's not got the sort of high-flyer resumé that I think Eon are going to be looking for.

I just mean his sexuality. Bearing in mind the reaction Lashana Lynch got in some sections of Bond fandom I could certainly see that being an issue for some of those folk.
  • Cool image! I guess Anglo-Saxon background is another criteria. Also did some height-challenged candidates in that image bribe their way in past the 5'10" threshold?))

On a serious note, I like Turner, Madden, Cullen, and Stevens.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I'm still up for Sean Teale as well.

cast_Incorporated_SeanTeale.jpg
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland

I like that Craig took it seriously. CR might be my favourite. Certainly very near the top.

I think EON attempted to reinvent the character and wanted to invest the Craig era with real love. I applaud that attempt.

I think they went wrong for the following reasons;
    They seem to have no real confidence in James Bond as a character - hence the constant introspection and apologies for who he is and what he represents. They over rely on big name directors and writers who quite frankly exhibit little love whatsoever for the franchise or character (Cary seems different here I will concede). They have given Craig way too much power, and relied on him too much to the extent we have had very long gaps between films. They have flirted way too much with ideas of Bond retiring, being over the hill etc, to the point that they have made the character appear redundant.

There are a thousand other things I simply don't like about the Craig films, but these are just my opinions on aesthetic choices and I accept that counts for little. I do believe that my reasons for where EON went wrong are correct, though.
    Yep, I agree with all this. I hope NTTD is great too, but I’m doubtful based on EON’s track record and abilities. If it sucks I would agree they should sell and give us the possibility of falling into someone’s hands who knows what they’re doing.