Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Denbigh wrote: »
    The Man from UNCLE is great. My favourite Cavill project. Hope it gets a sequel. Elizabeth Debicki and Alicia Vikander are particularly good too :)

That may be true. But it disqualifies Cavill for me. And I am a fan of his.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'd love to see Elizabeth Debicki as a Bond villain (or even "just" as a Bond girl). That would require a Bond actor on the taller side though.
    +1
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    mtm wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I don't want anyone who has appeared in a rival spy franchise. Cavill is perfect imo, but he did The Man From UNCLE. This new guy is a rival spy, so it rules him out for me, regardless of how appropriate he might be.

Cavill can act, he’s just not the best Hollywood can offer. He has star quality though.

Craig’s a brilliant actor and a great Bond. But he’s only made one exceptional Bond film with CR.

Just opinions, even if you forgot to phrase them as such. Many would say Craig has made two exceptional Bond films.

The sexual tension between you two is palpable, fellas.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    The Man from UNCLE is great. My favourite Cavill project. Hope it gets a sequel. Elizabeth Debicki and Alicia Vikander are particularly good too :)

+1.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I don't want anyone who has appeared in a rival spy franchise. Cavill is perfect imo, but he did The Man From UNCLE. This new guy is a rival spy, so it rules him out for me, regardless of how appropriate he might be.

Cavill can act, he’s just not the best Hollywood can offer. He has star quality though.

Craig’s a brilliant actor and a great Bond. But he’s only made one exceptional Bond film with CR.

Just opinions, even if you forgot to phrase them as such. Many would say Craig has made two exceptional Bond films.

Ha ha ha!! 🤣😂

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'd love to see Elizabeth Debicki as a Bond villain (or even "just" as a Bond girl). That would require a Bond actor on the taller side though.

Having played a villain in TMFU I don't see EON or maybe even Debicki wanting to play a villain in a Bond film.
    At almost 6'3" it would be pretty tough to find a Bond actor taller than her. Might make an interesting character trait or scenario for Bond to encounter though.
    Despite his lack of acting talent (he's never struck me as terrible tbh) I wouldn't be unhappy to see Cavill as the next Bond.
    I'd also be more than happy to see Alicia Vikander (ding dong) as a Bond girl.

The debut films are always decent (I know I criticise GE, but it’s still Brosnan’s best by far), so I’m looking forward to the next after NTTD.

The problem is, at present, there is no obvious successor.

I don't think it's necessarily a problem. There was no heir apparent to Brosnan either. And when many people expected Brosnan in 1987 and hit Dalton instead, they were disappointed and it hurt Dalton's tenure. Given the choice, I'd rather have no obvious successor.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria

🤣🤣
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 17,302
    Benny wrote: »

Having played a villain in TMFU I don't see EON or maybe even Debicki wanting to play a villain in a Bond film.
    At almost 6'3" it would be pretty tough to find a Bond actor taller than her. Might make an interesting character trait or scenario for Bond to encounter though.
    Despite his lack of acting talent (he's never struck me as terrible tbh) I wouldn't be unhappy to see Cavill as the next Bond.

Yeah, it's probably unlikely to happen anyway, but her being so tall could make for an interesting character trait, as you mention. You'd want an actor around Connery's height to match that though, unless you'd want a her height to be even more of a trait.

I would have no complaints with Alicia Vikander as a Bond girl either – or Cavill as Bond for that matter. I don't find his acting so limited as others here suggests.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Benny wrote: »

I would have no complaints with Alicia Vikander as a Bond girl either – or Cavill as Bond for that matter. I don't find his acting so limited as others here suggests.
    Hell yeah for Vikander and Debicki as Bond girls, and I don't find Cavill a limited actor either, but I think there are other hurdles between him and the role; mainly his other roles and just his exposure in general.

As for a Bond with an appropriate height for Debicki, Callum Turner is 6"2 and Nicholas Hoult is 6"3 ;) Those are the only two I know off the top of my head are tall enough for Debicki.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Oliver Jackson-Cohen, who I have mentioned as a possible candidate (though he wouldn't be my choice), is 6'3". Tom Bateman, again someone I've mentioned but don't favour, is 6'2". Tom Hopper, who was mentioned as a candidate in one of the magazine articles posted, is 6'4".
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 9,779

Sigh seriously I want a third dalton film
    Like with Brosnan, I would really like to see Dalton as an older spy – perhaps in a Le Carré like spy drama. That would be something.
    Regarding Dalton or Brosnan returning as Bond: that ship has, sailed. I know it's just a mark of affection from the fans, but still.
    There's a possibility that the current Mi6 team might be replaced in Bond 26 for the new Bond. But if EON are to retain them, I feel like Noamie Harris might be the one they replace...because of her age, I like her though...but age might be a factor, carrying out her usual repartee with the new Bond. But I would love to see Lucy Griffiths as her replacement.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'll be honest, I think I'd prefer a complete recasting. I loved the MI6 team we got, but they were so much apart of that era that I'm kinda into some fresh new choices going forward. Let Bond 26 be a complete refresh, even if its not an origin story. Also cast Riz Ahmed as Q please :)
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 17,302
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    There's a possibility that the current Mi6 team might be replaced in Bond 26 for the new Bond. But if EON are to retain them, I feel like Noamie Harris might be the one they replace...because of her age, I like her though...but age might be a factor, carrying out her usual repartee with the new Bond. But I would love to see Lucy Griffiths as her replacement.

I can't be sure if I've seen Lucy Griffiths in something or if she just sort of looks like a mix between Juliette Lewis and Claire Foy. Claire Foy could have been an interesting Moneypenny, but she's surely too high-profile for that role now.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited July 2020 Posts: 280
    I'll be honest, I think I'd prefer a complete recasting. I loved the MI6 team we got, but they were so much apart of that era that I'm kinda into some fresh new choices going forward. Let Bond 26 be a complete refresh, even if its not an origin story. Also cast Riz Ahmed as Q please :)
    I sort of agree with you, and recasting Moneypenny to match the current Bond always makes sense, but Fiennes and Wishaw are perfect in their roles IMO, and the fact they haven't had the opportunity to have a few outings in the traditional style is a tragedy. Besides, they kept Dench's M for CR...
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Agent_One wrote: »
    ...but Fiennes and Wishaw are perfect in their roles IMO, and the fact they haven't had the opportunity to have a few outings in the traditional style is a tragedy. Besides, they kept Dench's M for CR...
    I'd be happy to keep any of them if they were willing, but I think I'm just too aware of these actors' careers and how they may want to move forward after nearly 10 years - even if only doing 3 films - although as you say Judi Dench came back :)
    Also I think Riz Ahmed would be so good, and I think he'd do something new with it. Has anyone seen that video of him where he did so many versions of his character for the director of Rogue One?
    edited July 2020 Posts: 4,247

I can't be sure if I've seen Lucy Griffiths in something or if she just sort of looks like a mix between Juliette Lewis and Claire Foy. Claire Foy could have been an interesting Moneypenny, but she's surely too high-profile for that role now.

True, Foy would have been good as Moneypenny....but after appearing in films like First Man, her profile is now a notch higher.

Griffiths was Lady Marian in BBC One's Robin Hood (2006)....the production wasn't exactly Big Budget, but she was fantastic in the series.

True, Foy would have been good as Moneypenny....but after appearing in films like First Man, her profile is now a notch higher.

Griffiths was Lady Marian in BBC One's Robin Hood (2006)....the production wasn't exactly Big Budget, but she was fantastic in the series.

Indeed. She's probably more likely to feature as a villain or Bond girl if anything, but I think she has the look of a Moneypenny. As does Lucy Griffiths.

I had a look at IMDb, and it has to be Lewis I've seen her in. But I can't remember anything from that particular episode.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The next Bond.
    Vasectomy-Sperm-Blog-300x191.jpg
    Half.

Indeed. She's probably more likely to feature as a villain or Bond girl if anything, but I think she has the look of a Moneypenny. As does Lucy Griffiths.

I had a look at IMDb, and it has to be Lewis I've seen her in. But I can't remember anything from that particular episode.

That's it.
    Yeah, I haven't seen much of Lewis myself....but I think she had blonde hair in it or so.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    New Bond need's a New Moneypenny, no a doup't it.

That's it.
    Yeah, I haven't seen much of Lewis myself....but I think she had blonde hair in it or so.

Did she? Well, I don't remember the episode, so she might have. Lewis is worth a watch if you like British TV crime dramas, and Inspector Morse and Endeavour – the TV show it followed and preceded. Thinking about it, John Thaw, who played Morse, could have been a great M!

c532f5d6-ab78-4f01-9362-799de5b64dd2.jpg
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 14,842

Oh gosh I remember that dreadful series and I don't want Lucy Griffiths anywhere near James Bond. Or anyone from the BBC's Robin Hood for that matter.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    What about Daisy Edgar-Jones from Normal People? She's quite young though so she'd be better alongside a younger actor like Claflin, C. Turner or Hoult, but a take on the character I'd be interested to see, and she's a good actress.

P.S. I made a fake list of a possible Bond 26 cast/crew here if anyone would want to check it out :)
    https://www.imdb.com/list/ls080850920/
    edited July 2020 Posts: 4,247

That's it.

Did she? Well, I don't remember the episode, so she might have. Lewis is worth a watch if you like British TV crime dramas, and Inspector Morse and Endeavour – the TV show it followed and preceded. Thinking about it, John Thaw, who played Morse, could have been a great M!

Yeah, am a fan of British TV.
    True, John Thaw had the M look....almost in the mould as Bernard Lee's M.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Oh gosh I remember that dreadful series and I don't want Lucy Griffiths anywhere near James Bond. Or anyone from the BBC's Robin Hood for that matter.

Sure, the series isn't that great. But Richard Armitage was in it, before he played Thorin in the Hobbit. Griffiths, like Armitage worked with what she was given....in a bigger and better production, she would also shine.

That's it.

Yeah, am a fan of British TV.
    True, John Thaw had the M look....almost in the mould as Bernard Lee's M.

Yes, very much in the same mould!