What you miss in 007 these days?

Comments

• I also like the TWINE theme song. Not as much as Surrender or YKMN, but very serviceable and used well in the film.
    @SirHenryLeeChaChing I think that's the direction they will take this year for the 50th anniversary release

I.e. ,Favorite artists to stone deaf teenagers who simply can't sing and are awful but they will generate some profits simply on the name power alone..

For such a grand event this calendar year and all the celebrations of the franchise etc, they could maybe bring back Tom Jones again, or McCartney, or even Bassey for a record 4th time, but they know some awful music that some kids 'enjoy' today will be a bigger pull and to hell with traditions etc, I know I'm going to be eventually frustrated with the eventual decision for Skyfall as I'm adamant it won't be someone favorable, but it's all about opinions etc

Garbage in 1999 did put together a very good tune too, I'd take them right now for 2012 if it meant something 'less suitable' would miss out. TWINE theme intro, while not as good as 1997, is one of the better tracks of the last twenty years without question

• edited June 2012 Posts: 3,494
    That would be awesome to have a classic Bond vocalist back, but knowing corporate greed all too well, we'll get a popular artist of today to sell some records. And Bond films have always done this anyway, always tried to be in touch with the times in a musical sense. The trick is to find somebody who can do it convincingly with the appropriate music, not having "wo-o-oh-oh-oh" bellowing or Madonna electronica crap ruining it.
    I loved TWINES entire soundtrack. it had many great songs and instrumentals on it. One song on it I particularly liked was "Renards song " or also known as "only myself to blame". Anyone else familiar with twines soundtrack?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    For such a grand event this calendar year and all the celebrations of the franchise etc, they could maybe bring back Tom Jones again, or McCartney, or even Bassey for a record 4th time, but they know some awful music that some kids 'enjoy' today will be a bigger pull and to hell with traditions etc.

Eon has to grapple with their own longevity. For decades, they have faced the challenge of pulling in younger viewers--in other words, not making it seem like "your father's/grandfather's Bond." The easiest way to do this is with the title artist. I don't agree with their choices sometimes (e.g. Jack White), but I see why they do it, from a marketing perspective.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 3,494
    "Snow Chase" (I think it called) when Bond and Elektra drop from the helicopter and ski to the beginning of her pipeline was an excellent track that never made the soundtrack. Some would call it a "Barry pastiche" but it works and I prefer compositions that recognize that Bond films have a certain sound that shouldn't be tinkered with.

Now that I've said that, I'm sure someone will start complaining about Arnold. It's almost predictable and more reliable than a weather report.
  • I agree with a lot of the comments here. The thing that has been missing from the Bond films has been a great Bond song. A true classic. There hasn't been a really decent song since Surrender from TND and that was stuck on the end credits!)...Maybe GE was the last decent sounding title song. Although the score was rubbish.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I loved TWINES entire soundtrack. it had many great songs and instrumentals on it. One song on it I particularly liked was "Renards song " or also known as "only myself to blame". Anyone else familiar with twines soundtrack?

Yeah I agree with this. It's very underrated.
  • YKMN is a great classic Bond song, most people on the board tend to recognize that I think. The brass is a little understated but very Bondian nonetheless and gives the song that sort of feel.
    "Snow Chase" (I think it called) when Bond and Elektra drop from the helicopter and ski to the beginning of her pipeline was an excellent track that never made the soundtrack. Some would call it a "Barry pastiche" but it works and I prefer compositions that recognize that Bond films have a certain sound that shouldn't be tinkered with.

Now that I've said that, I'm sure someone will start complaining about Arnold. It's almost predictable and more reliable than a weather report.

The track is called "Snow Business" :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB6seXsmcCs
    I always insist the best musical scores occured in Moonraker, not necessarily Bassey's third attempt but the different sequences throughout such as the Free Fall sequence at the very beginning from when the two intruders steal the Moonraker and then Moore and the other guy fight for possession of the 'chute, also when Dufour is chased by the Dobermans through the forest - great atmospheric music - also the later scenes with the Moonraker shuttles or when Dufour shows Moore the (secret) plans at the Drax estate, those are just a few examples, it is such a shame such grand scores and musical highlights were spoiled by the complete nonsense escapade through Saint Marks Square by Moore on his Bondola, and the classical music that accompanied it, in that it was just inappropriate for such a dumb sequence of events

Other than that, the musical scores in 1979 were very hard to beat, it's one reason why I hold that years release in a more favorable light

1969 and 1987 were the best years for Bond music in my opinion.
  • "Snow Chase" (I think it called) when Bond and Elektra drop from the helicopter and ski to the beginning of her pipeline was an excellent track that never made the soundtrack. Some would call it a "Barry pastiche" but it works and I prefer compositions that recognize that Bond films have a certain sound that shouldn't be tinkered with.

The track is called "Snow Business" :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB6seXsmcCs

Thanks, I knew it was something like that. Getting old.

• I always insist the best musical scores occured in Moonraker, not necessarily Bassey's third attempt but the different sequences throughout such as the Free Fall sequence at the very beginning from when the two intruders steal the Moonraker and then Moore and the other guy fight for possession of the 'chute, also when Dufour is chased by the Dobermans through the forest - great atmospheric music - also the later scenes with the Moonraker shuttles or when Dufour shows Moore the (secret) plans at the Drax estate, those are just a few examples, it is such a shame such grand scores and musical highlights were spoiled by the complete nonsense escapade through Saint Marks Square by Moore on his Bondola, and the classical music that accompanied it, in that it was just inappropriate for such a dumb sequence of events

Other than that, the musical scores in 1979 were very hard to beat, it's one reason why I hold that years release in a more favorable light

Yes, a great effort by Barry, one of the only saving graces in the movie.

1987 all the way. The living daylights was an awesome song. Something about it just is different compared to the other songs. Its my favorite title song by far.

1987 all the way. The living daylights was an awesome song. Something about it just is different compared to the other songs. Its my favorite title song by far.

Is it that three guys from Norway provided the title track and this never happened before, or after ; - )

A-HA did some good songs back in the day but I never was a fan of that one, 'The Sun Always Shines on TV' is the best the group ever produced, but that was simply unfitting of a Bond song, but it's still the best they ever did

The Pretenders 'If there was a man' is also a good song, I think Chrissy Hynde should of had a cameo in that years release, they approached Morten Harket and he declined, maybe they did the same with her, but it seems doubtful

People judge George on his one film, and Tim on his 2, so why not Dan? And how is the rookie Bond not the "real Bond"? Bond was once a beginner to. Every master was once a beginner.

Well, while Craig certainly is the real Bond, and your statement is compelling, Sir Sean's debut was also of a newly made 00 and there is a certain undeniable sense of style that Bond carries in DN that has only been hinted at thus far. It's a Bond comfortable in his skin and knowing what he should and shouldn't do, whereas Craig's version of a young 00 is a conflicted one not sure when to kill or not to kill. M's message to him when she finds him in her home is to that effect. He says one less bombmaker is a good thing, while M recognizes that he was more valuable alive. So it takes awhile for him to realize that, but by the end of QOS he gets that interrogation is preferred unless it is a "kill or be killed" situation. The difference here is all the other Bonds were allowed to play a regular Bond who already knew all of these things, and Craig was supposed to show how he got that way. That's the best way it can be explained.

Good explaination. Pretty much sums it up. Craig has portrayed the same guy as the others, but in a younger, less assured way. He has been a rookie 007, which I don't mean is a bad thing, mind you. The others have IMO played an experienced 007, the guy most people refer to when thinking about Bond, while Craig has shown how he got there. That isn't criticism, I just think he has portrayed a new Bond, but will be the old one in SF. After seeing that movie I think we can judge if he is twice the 007 Roger is. But please don't take offense, I like Craig as the rookie 007 too. But I have been looking forward to the return of the experienced 007. And judging from the trailer I won't be disappointed.

I miss the GF-formula in the Bond films. I think it should be present in atleast one of Craig's movies.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    We live in a world where smart phones are able to do almost anything. As far as Q and gadgets go, I would like to see Q more of a internet / hacker / tech genius rather than a guy who gives bond oldschool gadgets, lets face it times have changed. As for gadgets in future bond films, I definitely see bond having a personalized signature iPhone or android as mentioned in carte Blanche, and Q will create beyond awesome apps for bonds smartphone. I think it would be completely absurd not to go this route.

Y'know, Bond had a smart phone before smart phones existed: TND.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 23,551
    Okay, back on topic please or this thread gets closed down.

I've read a lot of ridiculous stuff around here, and it all narrows down - as usual - to one person's opinion being imposed on another member and the pot calling the kettle black. All we ask is for certain members to post their opinion, not in a condescending manner of course, not even subtly condescending (you know the type), allow others a reply and back away. Some members understand the practice of adult debate. Others, however, can make well-written and insightful posts - which is a quality we enjoy for sure - but often fail to accept posts with contrasting views of things.

It has become clear to me that as long as this bickering continues, instead of working from a general policy, we might have to apply different rules per group of members. It might be useful, you see, to select certain rules specifically for those hotheads that just . can't . let . it . go. Some folks might need a peculiar warning: one post per thread per day or you're out! Is that the coarse I'd like to set? No, by all means, no. But the level to which some perfectly good threads have been sickened by arrogance and self-indulgence lately, forces me in more extreme thoughts. Should that day come, then damn some of you for letting it come that far!

Already the first pages of this thread are both an embarrassment AND an insult for the good people who try to organize this place into a nice, warm and cosy forum for Bond fans. With verbal hooliganism trashing up a structure that certain folks pay good money for and others labour hard to keep going well, some people really need to evaluate their own conduct. In the end I'm not so ignorant as to think that we'd all get along perfectly well. But when grown-up members with the ability to make fairly neutral posts yet with a clear passion for Bond, members who know when to press the issue but also when to leave, decide to drop out from a debate because once more it finds itself derailed by pointless bickering or nonsensical interventions, some of which are pure and simple spam, I feel the need to re-educate some of our members. Hence this post of mine, which will no-doubt upset a lot of people and I apologize to those who feel incorrectly targeted.

Don't push things beyond a reasonable limit, if you please. I love this place. I take it we all love this place. But let's not forget that we are all guests in the house of the big figures upstairs who allow us the indulgence of the best house-kept and most informative Bond fan website / web forum on the Internet. So if anything, learn to behave, play by the rules and let's keep doing what we've always done so far: enjoy the hell out of ourselves, as Bond fans united.

Thank you for your attention.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    We really do need to take this post by @DarthDimi seriously. I'm probably among the worst offenders at what he's talking about (or at least I like to think I am), and I'm will to step back, post my opinion, and not argue about it. Opinions are opinions, not a source of "I'll beat the sh*t out of you" posts.
  • Well said @DarthDimi.

My own experience has taught me a couple of key points when posting to forums such as these. I try not to make these mistakes and hopefully the mods will correct me if I do...

Firstly, when someone has a different opinion as you about something it doesn't mean that they "don't get it". Maybe they do "get it" and just don't like it. To suggest otherwise implies that there is only one correct way of viewing something.

Also, just stating that something is just your opinion doesn't excuse then saying that someone doesn't understand Bond if they have a different opinion.

I think that some people here genuinely mean well when they do things such as above - they think that if they can just get people to see that they're wrong then they'll see the light and change their opinions. But we have to trust that the mods (and they have shown that have have good judgement) are good arbitrators of what is appropriate or not. Just because we aren't calling someone names or swearing doesn't mean that the posts we make are appropriate. I'm pleased to be a guest here so I happily submit to the "rules of the house".

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @DarthDimi, thank you for that. I hope lots of members on this site take a chance to read that. I, too, am a proud member of this community, and I enjoy the daily talks I have with everyone - but, I also feel that many topics have gone completely off-topic or have been totally derailed lately, and it makes it impossible to truly get into what fun could be explored with said thread when it turns out like that.

On topic, as I said before, I would enjoy seeing Bond smoke again. One of the greatest moments of the Bond franchise, for me, was seeing Connery light up a cigarette as he introduces himself as "Bond, James Bond." I love it.

As for Craig's last two films, I've enjoyed the gritty, dark, brutal route they have taken. What kind of sparked in my mind earlier was when I read something on the teaser discussion thread, when someone spoke along the lines of how the teaser didn't feel like a Bond film - in a good way, because it feels totally different to anything we have had in a long time, and I agree. I think SF is going to be something really enjoyable and unique, apart from Craig's last two outings, at the same time.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Okay, back on topic please or this thread gets closed down.

I've read a lot of ridiculous stuff around here, and it all narrows down - as usual - to one person's opinion being imposed on another member and the pot calling the kettle black. All we ask is for certain members to post their opinion, not in a condescending manner of course, not even subtly condescending (you know the type), allow others a reply and back away. Some members understand the practice of adult debate. Others, however, can make well-written and insightful posts - which is a quality we enjoy for sure - but often fail to accept posts with contrasting views of things.

It has become clear to me that as long as this bickering continues, instead of working from a general policy, we might have to apply different rules per group of members. It might be useful, you see, to select certain rules specifically for those hotheads that just . can't . let . it . go. Some folks might need a peculiar warning: one post per thread per day or you're out! Is that the coarse I'd like to set? No, by all means, no. But the level to which some perfectly good threads have been sickened by arrogance and self-indulgence lately, forces me in more extreme thoughts. Should that day come, then damn some of you for letting it come that far!

Already the first pages of this thread are both an embarrassment AND an insult for the good people who try to organize this place into a nice, warm and cosy forum for Bond fans. With verbal hooliganism trashing up a structure that certain folks pay good money for and others labour hard to keep going well, some people really need to evaluate their own conduct. In the end I'm not so ignorant as to think that we'd all get along perfectly well. But when grown-up members with the ability to make fairly neutral posts yet with a clear passion for Bond, members who know when to press the issue but also when to leave, decide to drop out from a debate because once more it finds itself derailed by pointless bickering or nonsensical interventions, some of which are pure and simple spam, I feel the need to re-educate some of our members. Hence this post of mine, which will no-doubt upset a lot of people and I apologize to those who feel incorrectly targeted.

Don't push things beyond a reasonable limit, if you please. I love this place. I take it we all love this place. But let's not forget that we are all guests in the house of the big figures upstairs who allow us the indulgence of the best house-kept and most informative Bond fan website / web forum on the Internet. So if anything, learn to behave, play by the rules and let's keep doing what we've always done so far: enjoy the hell out of ourselves, as Bond fans united.

Thank you for your attention.

I do believe, that this needs an own thread to be read by everybody. Mind you, I do think, I am included in this critisism and accept that. But I would like it to stop and that is only - eventually possible - if its read. It shouldn't be hidden in another thread. My two...

• edited February 2013 Posts: 546
    Let me say that I do enjoy Daniel Craig's James Bond era. But are a few things I miss.

1.Gun Barrel
    2.Sense of humor
    3.Love scenes that ended the Bond films
    4.Gadgets
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Some will think I am looney, but I laugh my arse off in the Craig films. How Dan dishes the one liners is how I would do it, and his mannerisms can also be funny (sometimes his eyes tell you what he feels, etc.). Skyfall really got me, with great comedy throughout a very dark film.
    The ejector seat, the bulldog, the tube scene
    are just a few examples of how funny the film is.
    Some will think I am looney, but I laugh my arse off in the Craig films. How Dan dishes the one liners is how I would do it, and his mannerisms can also be funny (sometimes his eyes tell you what he feels, etc.). Skyfall really got me, with great comedy throughout a very dark film.

definitely in SF that is the case, but humor was nowhere in QOS and a little bit in CR, but that was ok, because of the seriousness of the film.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Sammm04 wrote:

definitely in SF that is the case, but humor was nowhere in QOS and a little bit in CR, but that was ok, because of the seriousness of the film.

I laugh all the time in QoS. Some of my favorite moments are when Bond goes into the 1 star hotel, looks around, hates the look of it and goes to a nicer hotel saying he is a teacher who just won the lottery. The dialogue between Bond, Mathis and Fields is great, and some of Bond's sharp remarks at Greene are funny. I also love when Bond and M are in Mitchell's apartment, and M tells Bond about the ash tray she got him, his answer being "I don't think he smoked" before M crashes it down on the floor. Just a couple examples. I love the humor, but to each his own of course.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    edited January 2013 Posts: 2,635
    I laugh all the time in QoS. Some of my favorite moments are when Bond goes into the 1 star hotel, looks around, hates the look of it and goes to a nicer hotel saying he is a teacher who just won the lottery.

:)) That bit is great... Other part that i like - not with so much humour tho - is when Fields say that Bond and Mathis needs to get back to England in the next plane by the next day, then Bond says that they have all night :D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I thought there was some good humor in QoS.

"I think she has handcuffs."
    "I do hope so."

That, and Mathis screaming "Callate!" to the taxi driver the whole ride to the hotel(s).
    I gotta say, any time Bond and Mathis were on screen together was usually a funny scene. They had a great relationship in QoS.