What you miss in 007 these days?

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited May 2012 Posts: 12,459
    Well, all I'll say is. I love all the Bond actors. They've all had their moments of brilliance, moments of straight forward functionality, and moments that are less than impressive. When you're in a role like this that has to balance so many elements, stuff is bound to happen that will impress some fans and discourage others. It happens. There's no point fighting over it. If you think the Brosnan bashing is bad here, try spending some time on the IMDB boards. In fact, it's one of the reasons I have spent more time here than there in the past month. Can't we all just get along?

Brilliantly said! Calm down everyone. We are all fans. Let's enjoy Bond and this site.

AND to add: I also miss a GREAT, LONG and EXCITING PTS as well as a truly memorable villain!
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 3,494
    I have said numerous times that as a 'film', I find CR to be a very good film...... and I do not post solely pro-Roger comments...... in fact I have not commented on Sir Rog many times in recent times..... I comment on all Bond's and Bond films..... yet I only see actonsteve make his usual pro-DC and anti-PB comments.......
    As a "film", but not as a "Bond film", which is what counts. And you like Dan, but not as Bond! That is what I am getting at, and I must have entered this forum too late, because I have not seen one negative comment on Moore's Bond from you.

Right on target. DC likes Daniel but not as Bond, at least not yet. I'm glad to see he is optimistic about SkyFall, which I guess is all you can ask of anyone who holds his views. He calls CR and QOS "un-Bondian", which he or anyone else is entitled to, yet there are Bondian moments which they conveniently ignore. ALL Bond films contain Bondian moments, some more than others, but they are there if one opens up their mind. Conversely, we've got folks like DC who defend all Moore and some Brosnan era movies as "Bondian", when the fact is is that there are very likely just as many moments in those films where they were anything but Bondian in nature.

What gets me here, something DC has yet to address, is that the moment "Dressed To Kill" rendered a negative opinion of some of Moore's Bond films, he dragged Craig and negative views right into it. So all being fair, why shouldn't Steve be allowed to do the same thing? Because he is a Craig "cultist"?

Moore films had some memorable henchmen by the way. Jaws is legendary and would have been so until they pushed the envelope too far with his character and turned him into another comedy figure. The LALD crew was great. Locque was good and never even uttered a line. The Connery henchmen remain the best, but Dalton has Dario, and Brosnan had Onatopp. The Craig era has yet to see the likes of that.

• RC7RC7
    Please guys, seriously, knock it on the head. DC and Actonsteve I like reading your comments, I think you're great members of the forum. This week has seen some utter drivel posted on the boards, neither of you were involved in it. I respect both of your opinions and I genuinely like hearing what you have to say, whether I agree or not.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited May 2012 Posts: 7,854
    actonsteve wrote:

temper-tantrum-girl-425ds061609_getty.jpg

There there...

posting silly pictures as arguments ? :)) how typical. everytime a Craig fanboy is questioned, he resorts to posting silly pictures..... =))

you are a broken record @actonsteve. what else can you post apart from Craig adoration and Brosnan complaints ? how many times do you have to criticize Brosnan and worship Craig ? I don't know if I'm the only one, but I for one am tired of your endless comments that always convey the same message.. it's borderline trolling, as some people like to call it...... OK we understand you hate PB and love DC.... PLEASE move on to something else....

listen-to-me-sign-person-tries-to-get-attention-in-crowd-5e569e.jpg

I beg your pardon, DC007, I'm a Craig fan, and I rarely post silly pictures (or pictures, for that matter).
    Virage wrote:
    At least one of the two things I miss are returning for Skyfall: Q and a male M.

Could we not call a roumer true untill its confirmed by Eon or by the film it's self. It's really starting to bug me.

What? Huh? I was talking about Q returning for Skyfall, which we've known now for a good deal of time.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Unfortunately that Q is young. I hated that fact, it's not... Normal. In fact, a older Q could sound better.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Hey, better a young Q than no Q.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die

imo, if there is a Young Q, it would be better to the film to be without a Q.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    X3MSonicX wrote:

I think people are so against it because we had the wonderful Desmond for so long, and for a good chunk he was quite up there in age, and now people have the conception that all Qs should be older or they won't be good. Just wait until you see Skyfall before you pass judgements everyone.
    X3MSonicX wrote:

I think people are so against it because we had the wonderful Desmond for so long, and for a good chunk he was quite up there in age, and now people have the conception that all Qs should be older or they won't be good. Just wait until you see Skyfall before you pass judgements everyone.

Actually that is the fact, Desmond was great. Not saying that the Actor would be bad, but the fact that he is young. It doesn't fits. But maybe you're right, maybe after i see the film my opinion may change.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited May 2012 Posts: 5,993
    Maybe we're getting a Mark Zuckerberg-like geeky type? It makes sense that Q could be young, since younger people tend to be more tech-savvy.

I feel the series could do fine without any Q, but a fresh take on Q might be just the ticket, since no one can fill the shoes of the original M, Moneypenny, and Q. Just ask Robert Brown, Caroline Bliss, or John Cleese--all pale imitations of the originals.

Obviously, people are polarized over Judi Dench but, since Lee had been dead for 15 years, give the filmmakers credit for doing something different.
    Q + banter, Moneypenny + banter, memorable one-liners, humour, larger-than life stuff, benign bizarre, gun barrel at the start, bond theme during bad-ass scenes........

Spot on! I also miss the villain lairs with guards in uniforms. And the Roger Moore-esque tone of the movies he made.

Q + banter, Moneypenny + banter, memorable one-liners, humour, larger-than life stuff, benign bizarre, gun barrel at the start, bond theme during bad-ass scenes........

Spot on! I also miss the villain lairs with guards in uniforms. And the Roger Moore-esque tone of the movies he made.

Holy crap, you are still here!

I died, but it sucked so I came back.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

They had to use a defibrillator on me when I flatlined. I didn't see any of the stupid "white light" or "heaven's gates".

They had to use a defibrillator on me when I flatlined. I didn't see any of the stupid "white light" or "heaven's gates".

Perhaps you saw your version of heaven: the 1930's/1940's?

I just remembered that I really miss a scene where the villain shows Bond his evil plan. Those are always great.

You noticed @007RogerMoore! No, I'm afraid. Bogie, Marilyn, Frank, Dean, Hitchcock, Lauren, and Cary were nowhere to be found.

I don't miss the plan unveilings. That is just the mark of a bad villain, or a naive one. It just gives Bond more time to escape, and any villain that says everything about his plan is a fool, because the hero could escape and ruin everything. Just allude to how horrible it will be, or commence the plan and kill the hero while the evil unfolds so he dies knowing he has failed miserably.
    I don't miss the plan unveilings. That is just the mark of a bad villain, or a naive one. It just gives Bond more time to escape, and any villain that says everything about his plan is a fool, because the hero could escape and ruin everything. Just allude to how horrible it will be, or commence the plan and kill the hero while the evil unfolds so he dies knowing he has failed miserably.

Sound great to me. The villain hates Bond so much that he has to shove his plan in Bond's face and tease him with it. And after that put him in another stupid death trap which Bond escapes. Ingenious! The villain must regret not shooting Bond later.

Sound great to me. The villain hates Bond so much that he has to shove his plan in Bond's face and tease him with it. And after that put him in another stupid death trap which Bond escapes. Ingenious! The villain must regret not shooting Bond later.

Except it shows just how stupid that villain is, even though the entire film has built up just how smart the villain is.
    I don't really think that the modern films are *missing* anything...I think that there is always the danger of the films becoming repetitive and boring of they try to tick too many boxes at once. While there are a lot of elements that people associate with the James Bond films not all of them were in every single film in the past. And when you try to cram too many into a single film it just seems cliche.

The "villain explaining his plan" works in some films but not others. It really worked for GF because of Goldfinger's character and personality. But it definitely would not have worked for Sanchez in LTK - he was too cagey and secretive to give away information. When you try to shoehorn certain elements into a film where they don't belong then it feels forced and artificial. If you try to create a film where all those things do fit in then it feels stale and like a retread - I don't want to watch the exact same film 23 times.

One thing that I would like to see return if possible is the return of the big villain's lair. I know that the Ice Palace in DAD in considered a good one but to me the last "classic" example would be the dish installation in GE. Unfortunately in this era of surveillance satellites it would be incredibly hard to make it credible.

You're just proving my point. The villain should be smarter than that, and if they let Bond know everything, it's spoiled, and he'll be able to escape and stop it. A great plan isn't in the explanation, it's in the implication, and if the villain hints to Bond what will come, or begins the plan in front of Bond and kills him while it is happening, now there is a brilliant master of villainy.
    Bring back the classic gun barrel opening and put it at the start of the film!
    Announce the title of the next film during the end credits (might be asking for too much here...)
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837

You're just proving my point. The villain should be smarter than that, and if they let Bond know everything, it's spoiled, and he'll be able to escape and stop it. A great plan isn't in the explanation, it's in the implication, and if the villain hints to Bond what will come, or begins the plan in front of Bond and kills him while it is happening, now there is a brilliant master of villainy.

He shouldn't reveal it to Bond, but I always liked it when the villian had a big plan reveal to his allies. Like when Blofeld would tell SPECTRE what they were going to do next, or in GF when Goldfinger reveals his plan to his investors (even if they weren't his real ones).

Something else I wish is when the villian would kill disloyal henchmen or anyone else he wanted dead in different, wierd ways. Like the shark in TSWLM, the dogs in MR, etc.
    I want to see more realism, less humor, less crazy stunts, more drama, more sadful and depressing moments. Basically I want a CR 2.0 and I think skyfall is definitely going to deliver bigtime.
    I want to see more realism, less humor, less crazy stunts, more drama, more sadful and depressing moments. Basically I want a CR 2.0 and I think skyfall is definitely going to deliver bigtime.

CR had humour, and SF is going to have more humour than the last two films.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2012 Posts: 15,692

what are you doing on a Bond forum, or even watching Bond movies ? you want films that aren't anything like Bond films !!

I am very much gobsmacked by your numerous racist, rude comments, and your complete ignorance of the Bond franchise.

what are you doing on a Bond forum, or even watching Bond movies ? you want films that aren't anything like Bond films !!

I am very much gobsmacked by your numerous racist, rude comments, and your complete ignorance of the Bond franchise.

Oh boy, I read through 3 pages of your usual comments, which are as predictable as prdictable goes and kept my mouth closed, but this is overdoing it again. You call other people rude? Ridiculous...you haven't changed a bit.

BTW - how sure can you be, he is even serious? Double standard all the way. Sam with actonsteve. Just because you might have said something positive twice or so doesn't change your reputation or your attitude.

Re Q - a young geek makes much more sense in these days and I am sure, holds the clue to some funny and entertaining moments.
    In addition to missing the banter with Q and Moneypenny and the superspy situations and the sexy women flocking to Bond, I also miss, you may have guessed it, Blofeld! None of the one timer Bond villins quite match him, except maybe Goldfinger.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2012 Posts: 15,692
    Germanlady wrote:
    Oh boy, I read through 3 pages of your usual comments, which are as predictable as prdictable goes and kept my mouth closed, but this is overdoing it again. You call other people rude? Ridiculous...you haven't changed a bit.

BTW - how sure can you be, he is even serious? Double standard all the way. Sam with actonsteve. Just because you might have said something positive twice or so doesn't change your reputation or your attitude.

maybe you should have checked his posts in the thread 'how would you feel if a Black James Bond was cast' before posting your usual rubbish attacks......

and of course I see the Craig fanboys can do anything they like because they are the bosses of Bond forums..... but if someone questions them, of course he is wrong and should keep his mouth shut and let them continue their usual Craig worshipping.....

germanlady you should accept that Craig fans can be wrong sometimes.... and that they are not the holder of truth.... it's getting tiresome to see the usual Craig-fanboys gang acting like they own the place........

dear me.... how did I dare try to question a Craig fan..... because they are always right......
    In addition to missing the banter with Q and Moneypenny and the superspy situations and the sexy women flocking to Bond, I also miss, you may have guessed it, Blofeld! None of the one timer Bond villins quite match him, except maybe Goldfinger.

Sorry for my ignorance, but in which films has he been?
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 228

Anybody who believes Roger Moore is the best bond in my opinion is the one with ignorance to Bond Franchise.

I just want Bond to stay serious and realistic, he's a field agent with a license to kill for godsakes. Im all in favor for alittle humor and soft joking here and there, but it can't be over-done either. The moore era relied on silly stunts, silly characters, silly humor and silly writing. Nothing at all could be taken seriously. Roger was way too old for the part from the beginning, its ashame Dalton turned down the role when first offered it. All of the Fleming book titles used for all of Moore's 007 film titles should have been called other names due to the fact the films had nothing in common to the books at all hardly.