What you miss in 007 these days?

123457»

Comments

• A decent villain, above all else

There hasn't been a tangible adversary for Bond to do battle with since Robert Davi in License to Kill, and by god that was 24 years ago now. All the subsequent main villains (and even their henchmen for the most part) have been disappointing, but Sean Bean's Trevelyan and maybe Janssen's Onatopp, do stand out above the mire, even if the latter was a bit of a ridiculous, if not far fetched, adversary for Bond to face up to

Once again, also having the gun barrel in the right place, not at the end of the damn movie or anywhere else they see fit to include it, other than it's rightful place. Some may not be too bothered about it, but it simply goes against tradition and it's just unsuitable above all else. Not to mention frustrating. No sense in lying on this
  • I wonder if we've been spoiled by being able to see several of the old films at once, so we lose the patience to see the new films develop over time?

What I mean by that is that when I was a kid, they would play a Bond film on TV once every two weeks. So I was able to see everything from DN to DAF in a very short amount of time (I could never get through the Moore films as a kid). So the *idea* of Bond and a Bond film in my mind was an accumulation of several things that original fans have seen over a ten year period. So if there was a film where Connery *didn't* order a martini "shaken, not stirred" well, you just had to wait two weeks and you would see him order one. If he didn't introduce himself as "Bond, James Bond" then again just wait (this waiting period is reduced even further with the advent of owning the movies on tape or disc).

So now, when something doesn't happen in a Bond film we have to wait two or three years to get a chance - not a certainty - of seeing it again. But I think that this leads to the "tick the box" style of Bond films from the 90s, where every cliche element was thrown in to every film so as to not upset the fans. Because of that I'm not too fussed if something isn't in one of the new films, I'm sure we'll see it again "soon enough".
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I remember being younger and seeing DAD the night of release, only seeing the trailer on television. I miss those days when everything was a surprise.

I love celebrating a new release with you all, but come 'Bond 24,' I'll be exiting the forum as soon as details start to release. I'll check out photos and trailers as they arrive, but I'll avoid this place and all comments on other sites. I literally had every single twist revealed to me, both on Youtube and here, because people don't understand what a spoiler tag is in non-spoiler threads.

I miss the surprise, and I want it back come the next release.