What you miss in 007 these days?

Comments

• edited May 2012 Posts: 1,082
    I want to see more realism, less humor, less crazy stunts, more drama, more sadful and depressing moments. Basically I want a CR 2.0 and I think skyfall is definitely going to deliver bigtime.

No offense friend, it's your opinion and all, but this is exactly the opposite of what I want. Especially more drama and sadful depressing moments. Noooooooo!
    Daniel Craig is twice the James Bond Moore could ever imagine to be. Moore was a joke, his movies were just as much of a joke as Austin powers is. CR and QOS completely destroy any of Moore's films. Its like comparing a Brand new Lamborghini to a used junk car.

=)) =)) LOL =)) =))

I understand if Craig is your idol and you think he is is twice the man, agent (or whatever) Moore is, but with all due respect, is it really fair to say that a guy who has been Bond in 2 movies that differ very much from the older ones, and portrays a rookie Bond, which means not the real Bond, is twice the Bond Moore is? After SF we can say if he is or not, but as yet he has almost played young Bond.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    People judge George on his one film, and Tim on his 2, so why not Dan? And how is the rookie Bond not the "real Bond"? Bond was once a beginner to. Every master was once a beginner.
    Hes not young bond, Craig is 42 years old, and just because he was introduced as a rookie agent doesn't officially differentiate him from any other actors portrayal.

but if thats the way you like to refer to him, "young bond", then ill gladly take young bond over old man Roger Moore bond anyday.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Can we please get on topic?
    I apologize yes lets move on.

Ide like to definitely see the return of Martin Cambell as director in the future.
    Can we please get on topic?

Sure, I'll keep myself from responding.

I really miss Q and the gadgets.

We live in a world where smart phones are able to do almost anything. As far as Q and gadgets go, I would like to see Q more of a internet / hacker / tech genius rather than a guy who gives bond oldschool gadgets, lets face it times have changed. As for gadgets in future bond films, I definitely see bond having a personalized signature iPhone or android as mentioned in carte Blanche, and Q will create beyond awesome apps for bonds smartphone. I think it would be completely absurd not to go this route.
    I miss the smooth, charming, witty, suave Bond. That made Bond stand apart and standout compared to other action heros.
    Ellis wrote:
    I miss the smooth, charming, witty, suave Bond. That made Bond stand apart and standout compared to other action heros.

I miss him slapping women's behinds
    I'd like to see Q in his signature role with old-school gadgets lite a gadget-laden car or a Q-watch. These are sorely missed. Please bring them back! And please bring back the charming, suave, womanizing Bond. I think Craig has shown that he is capable of being charming and funny, so it's the scripts that need to be changed, not him...
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'd like to see Q in his signature role with old-school gadgets lite a gadget-laden car or a Q-watch.

Even though I loved the simple car chases of CR and QoS, I'd love to see gadget cars come back (so long as they don't overdo it, like DAD did, I'd rather not see Iron Man the car), and as long as they bring back the laser watch (GoldenEye 007 64 nostalgia), I'd love to see a Q-watch again.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Q-Watch really was the best. I'd love it to come back; also the Grapple watch.
    I miss Bond being sensible maybe, back in the day you could go to theaters and expect a commonsense movie, a no thrills adventure that was not dependant on big bangs and flashes and CGI crap and sometimes inplausible action sequences, the early Connery releases would be a fine example of this but as we have entered the 21st century it seems in overload sometimes, I just like to see Bond sensible more often than not, but as the years have passed, bigger budgets, bigger expectations, etc, I know some crave this type of action but it wasn't always that way

Also, an overload on commercial advertising, Moonraker was one of the first to do this on a grand scale I remember, but it seems in buckets just lately, sounds like a bit of a moan, then so be it, but there was a time when this was greatly reduced, and Bond seems more able to rely on cell phones and all the latest fancy items and modern technology available now just recently rather than getting out of situations with his cunning and wits and ingenuity etc, it wasn't always like that. Yes, maybe I miss it
    The Twine xray glasses were a nice touch as well, and looked pretty damn good on brosnan if I must say
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Anyone have thoughts on having non-computer generated woman in the Bond themes?

I will always love Brosnan's age of titles. Especially Goldeneye, because I know where to look at just the right moment ;). But TWINE has a excellent one, and DAD's incorporation of the film is nice too. I think tangible women is a good thing, especially with Kleinman around.

Also, if QoS's titles had done more with the women in the sand, the effect might have actually worked out better. But you barely see it in the titles, and its difficult to make out. I thought it was creative, it just need more elaboration.

*Had to re-read multiple times because I thought I kept mispelling titles with titties.
    anyone miss bond wearing reading glasses? Can somebody post a picture of brosnan from twine in the introduction bank scene . It was a good look in my opinion
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 1,082
    As for gadgets in future bond films, I definitely see bond having a personalized signature iPhone or android as mentioned in carte Blanche, and Q will create beyond awesome apps for bonds smartphone. I think it would be completely absurd not to go this route.

I think this could be a good idea. What surprises would the phone have? Perhaps a fingerprint scanner, an antennae lock pick, remote control for a Q-car, laser and more. Great idea if things like these are included. A modern but still a little old-school gadget.

And yes, x-ray glasses like in AVTAK & TWINE would be nice to see once again!
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    The Fingerprint is one of the best gadgets i've seen.
    An app that can shut down or cause brief interference with nearby surveillance cameras so Bond could sneak by without causing an alarm.

An app that could perhaps be used to turn bonds phone into bomb, where if he absolutely had no weapons and was desperate his phone could explode if he opened the app called, "Last Resort", and it could be disguised with a hotel icon if any unwanted person scrolled through bonds phone.

Does anybody remember in GE where Boris kept playing (clicking) with bonds pen until it exploded giving bond a chance to escape.

Perhaps a similar scene could be made in the near future where a enemy finds Bond's phone while captured, looks through Bond's phone and asks in a comical but sinister tone,
    " whats this app about called LastResort, I havent seen it in the android market ? . Bond replies, " its an explosion of fun ", and the enemy opens the app and explodes giving bond a way to escape.

Im not one for humor and sillyness but it could be done I suppose in memory of quips.

An app that could perhaps be used to turn bonds phone into bomb, where if he absolutely had no weapons and was desperate his phone could explode if he opened the app called, "Last Resort", and it could be disguised with a hotel icon if any unwanted person scrolled through bonds phone.

Does anybody remember in GE where Boris kept playing (clicking) with bonds pen until it exploded giving bond a chance to escape.

Perhaps a similar scene could be made in the near future where a enemy finds Bond's phone while captured, looks through Bond's phone and asks in a comical but sinister tone,
    " whats this app about called LastResort, I havent seen it in the android market ? . Bond replies, " its an explosion of fun ", and the enemy opens the app and explodes giving bond a way to escape.

Im not one for humor and sillyness but it could be done I suppose in memory of quips.

OMG, this is super! The quip is also great.

• edited June 2012 Posts: 3,494
    I'd like to see Q in his signature role with old-school gadgets lite a gadget-laden car or a Q-watch.

Even though I loved the simple car chases of CR and QoS, I'd love to see gadget cars come back (so long as they don't overdo it, like DAD did, I'd rather not see Iron Man the car), and as long as they bring back the laser watch (GoldenEye 007 64 nostalgia), I'd love to see a Q-watch again.

I definitely miss the gadget cars. Sir Sean and Tim had the Aston Martin, Sir Roger the Lotus, and Pierce the remote controlled BMW. It would be nice to see what they could create for Craig, the opening scene of QOS could have definitely been better if he used a few "optional extras" to knock a few of the Quantum cars out of action, but where he gets rid of the final pursuer I would leave, that was a great kill with the gun coming out of nowhere. I also miss the gimmicked watch. But as times, as fun as it always was to see what Q would come up with in his shop, too many gadgets are not necessarily a good thing. It got to the point in some films where gadgets replaced Bond using his natural wits and brawn. I think that LTK is a great example of how to work in a few gadgets but in the end, Bond uses a simple lighter and his brain to subdue Sanchez and his crew rather than relying on a gadget and it makes for one of the greatest action finales in the series. And Bond's escape from Goldfinger's laser on his wits alone was the ultimate escape.

As far as Q, I don't want Desmond v2 or v3. There was one and only Q, and Desmond was it. I would be extremely happy if they referred to Whishaw as B or Major Boothroyd of Q Branch, because I simply cannot bear to have another actor referred to as "Q". And while I wouldn't mind a few gadgets involved, I like TMB's idea of using a smart phone quite a lot. A modern tech wizard can do a whole lot with practical and unsuspicious items, so many of Q's gadgets were there for show and not actually used and it got to be where, again, they overshadowed Bond and made it seem he couldn't get the job done without them. Gadgets for the sake of gadgets is not what Bond should be about, they should only appear for something meaningful and not just because some fans only care about "formula" and think a Bond film isn't Bond if it isn't following said formula.

• edited June 2012 Posts: 11,425
    I think there is an extent to which gadgets no longer hold the same mistique they used to. Now that we all have amazing gadgets (phones, laptops etc), there isn't a huge amount they can impress us with. When they tried to dream up new cutting edge stuff, it ended up looking daft, like the invissible car (even if this is eventually going to be real technology).

And of course, as others have stated, sometimes the gadget gives Bond an unfair advantage and means he doesn't have to use his wit and intelligence. I love the way Connery's Bond can't believe the idea of an injector seat in GF - he finds the idea absurd, as it plainly is.

For me the gadgets were always expendable and I do not miss them at all. What I would like to see is Bond in a very nice contemporary British sports car - Aston Martin, Lotus, Bristol or whatever.
  • People judge George on his one film, and Tim on his 2, so why not Dan? And how is the rookie Bond not the "real Bond"? Bond was once a beginner to. Every master was once a beginner.

Well, while Craig certainly is the real Bond, and your statement is compelling, Sir Sean's debut was also of a newly made 00 and there is a certain undeniable sense of style that Bond carries in DN that has only been hinted at thus far. It's a Bond comfortable in his skin and knowing what he should and shouldn't do, whereas Craig's version of a young 00 is a conflicted one not sure when to kill or not to kill. M's message to him when she finds him in her home is to that effect. He says one less bombmaker is a good thing, while M recognizes that he was more valuable alive. So it takes awhile for him to realize that, but by the end of QOS he gets that interrogation is preferred unless it is a "kill or be killed" situation. The difference here is all the other Bonds were allowed to play a regular Bond who already knew all of these things, and Craig was supposed to show how he got that way. That's the best way it can be explained.

I miss good theme tunes in Bond, and let's be fair, in recent years there has been some awful crap served up in way of title tracks, only Cornells You Know My Name and Crow's Tomorrow Never Dies stand out as (truly) fine music of the last 30 years, Rita Coolidge' All Time High is another worthy inclusion but there was a time when we had some very good theme intros - Monro's From Russia With Love, McCartney and Wings, Lulu even, I just feel the last few decades the music has taken a turn for the worst, but I truly believe that about all music as a whole, it has got progressively harder to listen than from what I remember of it, James Bond just moves with the times I guess
    I miss good theme tunes in Bond, and let's be fair, in recent years there has been some awful crap served up in way of title tracks, only Cornells You Know My Name and Crow's Tomorrow Never Dies stand out as (truly) fine music of the last 30 years, Rita Coolidge' All Time High is another worthy inclusion but there was a time when we had some very good theme intros - Monro's From Russia With Love, McCartney and Wings, Lulu even, I just feel the last few decades the music has taken a turn for the worst, but I truly believe that about all music as a whole, it has got progressively harder to listen than from what I remember of it, James Bond just moves with the times I guess

I think almost everyone would agree with you. Apart from the bit about Lulu!
  • I much prefer "Surrender" to the TND title theme. It's so Bondian with the big brass. Should have been the title theme and if Arnold had his way it would have. Same with Bassey's QOS alternate theme. A lot of the crap you speak of as theme tunes have been foisted upon EON by the big corporate studios and were last minute decisions designed to make more money, and not to their credit, EON has allowed it to happen.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I quite liked Garbage's theme song for TWINE. I find it much more interesting than Crowe's effort for TND. I think I'm in the minority though.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, I loved Garbage's theme song.
    I quite liked Garbage's theme song for TWINE. I find it much more interesting than Crowe's effort for TND. I think I'm in the minority though.

I also think the TWINE theme is great.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I also think the TWINE theme is great.

Creasy47 wrote:
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, I loved Garbage's theme song.

Cool! I also really like how Arnold implemented it into his score. It's quite a classy track. Really like the vocals.