'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

oops my apologies to both parties.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 7,639
    Just received my season 14 box in bluray with Tom baker, it is a beautiful thing and some really great serials to watch again, my daughter already remarked that she was ready to hardcore Doctor Who again, as she actually likes the 3rd & the 4th Doctor.
    I am really pleased I was able to obtain this boxset.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe Still waiting for the Jena Malone Batwoman movie that's never going to be made.Moderator
    edited May 2020 Posts: 11,859
    Did anyone see Tenable today? There was one woman on the team that claimed to be a fan. She had to name the last 10 actors to play the Doctor. She started off perfectly fine, in reverse order with Capaldi, Smith, Tennant and Eccleston. then it all fell apart. After Eccleston, she named Colin Baker next, she knew he had been the Doctor, but admitted to not knowing where he is in th echronological order, then after Colin Baker, she named the next Doctor, Peter Baker. At that point, she took the money she had banked, and went back to the team.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited May 2020 Posts: 280
    Did anyone see Tenable today? There was one woman on the team that claimed to be a fan. She had to name the last 10 actors to play the Doctor. She started off perfectly fine, in reverse order with Capaldi, Smith, Tennant and Eccleston. then it all fell apart. After Eccleston, she named Colin Baker next, she knew he had been the Doctor, but admitted to not knowing where he is in th echronological order, then after Colin Baker, she named the next Doctor, Peter Baker. At that point, she took the money she had banked, and went back to the team.
    Ah yes, Peter Baker is my second favourite Doctor. But nothing will ever beat Sylvestom Pertroughton for me.
    Sean Pertwee has to be in the mix as best Doctor.
    Remember that one from "Before the Flood" ?

Well :

https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2020/06/13/peter-capaldi-to-play-beethoven-in-upcoming-bbc-radio-drama/

Hilarious, isn't it ?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe Still waiting for the Jena Malone Batwoman movie that's never going to be made.Moderator
    I get it, not everyone likes the classic era, but at least a fan, and an adult one at that, should know of the actors that have played the Doctor.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 4,669
    Here's the cover for the steelbook of series 6 (modern) :

6-steel.jpg

Out on agust 10th 2020. If all goes well.

And in France, Doctor Who has hoped channels. From France 4 (public digital terrestrial channel) to SyFy (the first ten series on cable) to NRJ 12 (commercial digital terrestrial channel) on july 6th. But here, they begin only with the 5th series.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 11,859
    I have begun a Pertwee era season, and why not. I have already breezed through all four episodes of Spearhead From Space, as well as episodes 1 and 2 of And The Silurians.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 14,693

Hartnell's final speech to Susan still gives me goosebumps, brilliant actor.
    edited July 2020 Posts: 11,859
    Continuing with Pertwee season. I have finished off 'And The Silurians', 'The Ambassadors of Death', and have watched episodes 1 to 4 of 'Inferno'.
    and have watched episodes 1 to 4 of 'Inferno'.

Inferno is one of my favorite Classic Who stories -- feverishly intense, nightmarish stuff.

Escalus5 wrote: »
    and have watched episodes 1 to 4 of 'Inferno'.

Inferno is one of my favorite Classic Who stories -- feverishly intense, nightmarish stuff.

I'm right there with you. One of my favourite Pertwee era stories (2nd only to The Sea Devils), and one of my favourite stories overall.
    Continuing my Pertwee era season with the rest of Inferno, Terror Of The Autons, The Mind Of Evil, The Claws Of Axos and Colony In Space. Don't get me wrong, Delgado is the best Master, but they used him a bit too much through series 8. That said, it's still a joy to see him and Pertwee onscreen together.
    Yes, I also had the opinion that the Master was overused in that season. But he's such a great villain.

Now, good news : the soundtrack for series 10 is in progress, and will be released sometime this year :

https://vocal.media/futurism/composer-murray-gold-confirms-doctor-who-series-10-soundtrack-is-on-its-way

Well, it was about time.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited August 2020 Posts: 280
    Great news. FFTD is definitely in my top 5 black and white stories.
    Yes, I received an update of my order from Amazon for that one. Funny thing, they tell me it will be delivered on november 9th. But I am sure I'll receive it earlier than that.

Today, I received the Special Edition of Power of the Daleks. But due to sad events in my family, it will be a while before I can watch any of it.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 14,693

Doctor Who's Christopher Eccleston returning for new adventures as the Ninth Doctor
    https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a33550991/doctor-who-christopher-eccleston-ninth-doctor-big-finish/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Rather lovely news, that. Just because he seems to have done because everyone is so nice to him about Dr Who, so it's sort of heart-warming.
    Christopher Eccleston recently opened up a lot about that period in his life (around the time he was The Doctor), its great news that he has returned, there is so much more that his Doctor can do and I am sure it will contribute to his own healing process.

Hopefully Christopher Eccleston will return to the small screen for a 60th Anniversary Special, that would be fantastic.
    Opening in february 2021 (we hope !) :

https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2020/08/18/tickets-on-sale-for-immersive-theatres-doctor-who-time-fracture-this-week/

Doctor-Who-Time-Fracture-3.jpg?resize=1536%2C1229&ssl=1
    1940 – it’s the height of the Blitz. A weapon of unknown origin destroys a small corner of Mayfair, and simultaneously opens up a rift in space and time. For decades, UNIT has fought to protect the people of Earth from the dangers it poses, but they’ve been beaten back as the fracture multiplies out of control.

Earth as we know it is at stake – now is the time for you to step up and be the hero. Travelling to impossible places, confronting menacing monsters and ancient aliens along the way, it’s a journey across space and time to save our race, and our beautiful planet.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 11,859
    The Evil of the Daleks and The Abominable Snowmen are next up to get the animated treatment
    https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a33815787/doctor-who-lost-stories-revived-bbc-animation/

Looks like we may yet have a complete Troughton era, in one form or another. :)
    Out next week :

• Doctor Who fans 'may be forced to wait TWO YEARS for the new series due to filming delays sparked by COVID-19 pandemic'
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8721807/amp/Doctor-fans-wait-TWO-YEARS-new-series-filming-delayed-COVID-19.html
    Not surprising though they can wait till 2032 for the next series, I would be fine with that.
    After a 3 year gap, it might be better to start over again.