'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I get it, not everyone likes the classic era, but at least a fan, and an adult one at that, should know of the actors that have played the Doctor.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 5,772
    Here's the cover for the steelbook of series 6 (modern) :

6-steel.jpg

Out on agust 10th 2020. If all goes well.

And in France, Doctor Who has hoped channels. From France 4 (public digital terrestrial channel) to SyFy (the first ten series on cable) to NRJ 12 (commercial digital terrestrial channel) on july 6th. But here, they begin only with the 5th series.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2020 Posts: 13,882
    I have begun a Pertwee era season, and why not. I have already breezed through all four episodes of Spearhead From Space, as well as episodes 1 and 2 of And The Silurians.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2020 Posts: 23,102

Hartnell's final speech to Susan still gives me goosebumps, brilliant actor.
    edited July 2020 Posts: 13,882
    Continuing with Pertwee season. I have finished off 'And The Silurians', 'The Ambassadors of Death', and have watched episodes 1 to 4 of 'Inferno'.
    and have watched episodes 1 to 4 of 'Inferno'.

Inferno is one of my favorite Classic Who stories -- feverishly intense, nightmarish stuff.

Escalus5 wrote: »
    and have watched episodes 1 to 4 of 'Inferno'.

Inferno is one of my favorite Classic Who stories -- feverishly intense, nightmarish stuff.

I'm right there with you. One of my favourite Pertwee era stories (2nd only to The Sea Devils), and one of my favourite stories overall.
    Continuing my Pertwee era season with the rest of Inferno, Terror Of The Autons, The Mind Of Evil, The Claws Of Axos and Colony In Space. Don't get me wrong, Delgado is the best Master, but they used him a bit too much through series 8. That said, it's still a joy to see him and Pertwee onscreen together.
    Yes, I also had the opinion that the Master was overused in that season. But he's such a great villain.

Now, good news : the soundtrack for series 10 is in progress, and will be released sometime this year :

https://vocal.media/futurism/composer-murray-gold-confirms-doctor-who-series-10-soundtrack-is-on-its-way

Well, it was about time.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited August 2020 Posts: 280
    Great news. FFTD is definitely in my top 5 black and white stories.
    Yes, I received an update of my order from Amazon for that one. Funny thing, they tell me it will be delivered on november 9th. But I am sure I'll receive it earlier than that.

Today, I received the Special Edition of Power of the Daleks. But due to sad events in my family, it will be a while before I can watch any of it.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 23,102

Doctor Who's Christopher Eccleston returning for new adventures as the Ninth Doctor
    https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a33550991/doctor-who-christopher-eccleston-ninth-doctor-big-finish/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Rather lovely news, that. Just because he seems to have done because everyone is so nice to him about Dr Who, so it's sort of heart-warming.
    Christopher Eccleston recently opened up a lot about that period in his life (around the time he was The Doctor), its great news that he has returned, there is so much more that his Doctor can do and I am sure it will contribute to his own healing process.

Hopefully Christopher Eccleston will return to the small screen for a 60th Anniversary Special, that would be fantastic.
    Opening in february 2021 (we hope !) :

https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2020/08/18/tickets-on-sale-for-immersive-theatres-doctor-who-time-fracture-this-week/

Doctor-Who-Time-Fracture-3.jpg?resize=1536%2C1229&ssl=1
    1940 – it’s the height of the Blitz. A weapon of unknown origin destroys a small corner of Mayfair, and simultaneously opens up a rift in space and time. For decades, UNIT has fought to protect the people of Earth from the dangers it poses, but they’ve been beaten back as the fracture multiplies out of control.

Earth as we know it is at stake – now is the time for you to step up and be the hero. Travelling to impossible places, confronting menacing monsters and ancient aliens along the way, it’s a journey across space and time to save our race, and our beautiful planet.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 13,882
    The Evil of the Daleks and The Abominable Snowmen are next up to get the animated treatment
    https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a33815787/doctor-who-lost-stories-revived-bbc-animation/

Looks like we may yet have a complete Troughton era, in one form or another. :)
    Out next week :

Doctor Who fans 'may be forced to wait TWO YEARS for the new series due to filming delays sparked by COVID-19 pandemic'
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8721807/amp/Doctor-fans-wait-TWO-YEARS-new-series-filming-delayed-COVID-19.html
    Not surprising though they can wait till 2032 for the next series, I would be fine with that.
    After a 3 year gap, it might be better to start over again.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Hard to disagree, but there are people who like the show as it is at the moment (apparently) so I guess they should have another series.
    I also find it a bit hard to care if it comes back or not at the moment though, I agree.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 23,102
    Doctor Who fans vote David Tennant best Doctor, narrowly beating Jodie Whittaker
    https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-09-20/david-tennant-best-doctor-who/

1. David Tennant 10518 / 21%
    2. Jodie Whittaker 10423 / 21%
    3. Peter Capaldi 8897 / 18%
    4. Matt Smith 7637 / 16%
    5. Tom Baker 3977 / 8%
    6. William Hartnell 1983 / 4%
    7. Paul McGann 1427 / 3%
    8. Christopher Eccleston 1144 / 2%
    9. Jon Pertwee 1038 / 2%
    10. Patrick Troughton 915 / 2%
    11. Sylvester McCoy 462 / 1%
    12. Colin Baker 359 / 1%
    13. Peter Davison 351 / 1%

Crikey!

Doctor Who fans 'may be forced to wait TWO YEARS for the new series due to filming delays sparked by COVID-19 pandemic'
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8721807/amp/Doctor-fans-wait-TWO-YEARS-new-series-filming-delayed-COVID-19.html
    Not surprising though they can wait till 2032 for the next series, I would be fine with that.

I wholeheartedly agree.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Understandable that Tennant would get it, he and Smith are my fave two from Nu Who, but 'narrowly beating' Jodie? I like her, and it seems as though she's starting to find her groove now, but come on, that can't be right. Surely the third and fourth Doctors rate higher?
    edited September 2020 Posts: 23,102
    QBranch wrote: »
    Understandable that Tennant would get it, he and Smith are my fave two from Nu Who, but 'narrowly beating' Jodie? I like her, and it seems as though she's starting to find her groove now, but come on, that can't be right. Surely the third and fourth Doctors rate higher?

Not a fan of Jodie though the scripts don't help her at all, I would have her at 13th.

1. Matt Smith
    2. John Pertwee
    3. Tom Baker
    4. Patrick Troughton
    5. William Hartnell
    6. Christopher Eccleston
    7. Sylvester McCoy
    8. Peter Capaldi
    9. David Tennant
    10. Colin Baker
    11. Paul McGann
    12. Peter Davison
    13. Jodie Whittaker

I think my top five Doctors are all great and there positions are boosted by the era's they inhabited, there are Doctors lower down the list that could easily of challenged to be the very best. Though some Doctors were let down either by terrible writing, the budget was none existent or there tenure was too short.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 14,861
    QBranch wrote: »

I think generally the current should always be top of the poll, and I think they often have been whenever these things have been done over the years. When they don't win it's more of a concern!
    There's something a bit odd about those results though: Hartnell in 6th? I don't think it usually works like that.
    Don't hit me, but I actually quite like Peter Capaldi :D Although he did get worse as the thing progressed, with his sonic Wayfarers. But I quite liked him as the doctor. Many iconic scenes. And I loved Tennant as Who. Really did. So those two would get a bit higher on my list ;)