'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don’t think anything’s missing (aside from the ones that don’t exist, obviously!).
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    mtm wrote: »
    A good bit of trivia is, that with all of yer Sir Lenny Henrys and Sir John Hurts and Sir Michael Gambons etc. the first knight of the realm to appear in Doctor Who (although yet to gain that honour at the time) was Sir Ken Dodd :)

That's an interesting bit of trivia.
    Bonnie Langford really was not given much direction, I always found her introduction a bit abrupt. Peri was a favourite of mine so anyone replacing her was likely to be tough, and Peri's retcon I could complain about that for some time.

I have been thinking about getting Britbox apparently most of the classic DW episodes are on there (certain Dalek episodes are likely to be missing).

She was supposed to be a computer programmer, if I remember right, but we never saw any of it onscreen. At least Big Finish gave her much better writing.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    A good bit of trivia is, that with all of yer Sir Lenny Henrys and Sir John Hurts and Sir Michael Gambons etc. the first knight of the realm to appear in Doctor Who (although yet to gain that honour at the time) was Sir Ken Dodd :)

Bonnie Langford really was not given much direction, I always found her introduction a bit abrupt. Peri was a favourite of mine so anyone replacing her was likely to be tough, and Peri's retcon I could complain about that for some time.

I have been thinking about getting Britbox apparently most of the classic DW episodes are on there (certain Dalek episodes are likely to be missing).

She was supposed to be a computer programmer, if I remember right, but we never saw any of it onscreen. At least Big Finish gave her much better writing.

I have only listened to a few Paul McGann Big Finish audio's though I need to purchase some of the other Doctors, the logical step is to do the Doctors in reverse and look at McCoy next.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I have only listened to a few Paul McGann Big Finish audio's though I need to purchase some of the other Doctors, the logical step is to do the Doctors in reverse and look at McCoy next.

I'm the same, except with McCoy. Though I have listened to Immortal Beloved from the 8th Doctor, and Sympathy For The Devil from the Unbound range, it's mainly the McCoy audios that I collect.... which I have fallen behind on.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Pleasingly there's a brand new Dr Who scene written by Steven Moffat appearing on Twitter today ahead of a global fan rewatch of Day of the Doctor.
    Dragonfire
    The closing story of the 24th series. It's the best of the series, but it's still series 24, and the show was stumbling while trying to find its feet. The stark contrast between Mel and Ace, when they team up, underlines how little there was to Mel. Ace isn't even a companion at this point, and she already overshadows Mel. Dragonfire also has what must be one of the most ill though out cliffhangers,

Remembrance of The Daleks
    The 25th anniversary series opens with my favourite Dalek story. And what a reward it is, for making it through series 24. All the stuff about The Hand Of Omega, see Chibnall, THIS is how you build on the mythos of the show. Not storming in, and trampling on everything. I enjoy catchign each reference, other than the one on tv, which was a little too meta. A brilliant story, showing the changing direction of the show.

1. Remembrance of The Daleks
    2. Dragonfire
    3. Delta And The Bannermen
    4. Paradise Towers
    5. Time And The Rani
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 616
    I like both Paradise Towers and The Happiness Patrol quite a bit. The former is a surreal tenement horror-thriller with a pleasing dose of dark comedy, and the latter has one of the funniest villains (Kandyman) and one of the best (and surprisingly moving) scenes for the Doctor, when McCoy sings "As Time Goes By."

Plus, I like that both of them appear to have been shot entirely in the same large gymnasium at 3 a.m. They're like something beamed in from another planet, as they should be.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2020 Posts: 23,327
    2fquj0k80001000
    2fqun0k80001000
    Just purchased these two Big Finish audio books, hopefully they will give me a decent footing with Big Finish as I really want to get into the stories though there are just so many.

Upto now I have only listened to some of Mcgann stories.

Essential viewing
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,947
    Just purchased these two Big Finish audio books, hopefully they will give me a decent footing with Big Finish as I really want to get into the stories though there are just so many.

Zagreus is a bit of an unusual one. I only listened to it the once to be honest.

There are quite a lot of the early Big Finish plays available to listen to for free on Spotify if you want.

This one starring Tom Baker is absolutely fantastic: Listen here: The Foe From The Future

large.jpg

Zagreus is a bit of an unusual one. I only listened to it the once to be honest.

There are quite a lot of the early Big Finish plays available to listen to for free on Spotify if you want.

This one starring Tom Baker is absolutely fantastic: Listen here: The Foe From The Future

large.jpg

Cheers, I have listened to Mcgann on Spotify mainly his early stories. I was looking on the Big Finish website last night noticed some free to download stories there which I will look at.

The audio books I got were on Audible. I listened to The Sirens of Time earlier when at work, I really enjoyed that story which had very high stakes, there was a good dynamic between Doctors 6 and 7.

I will listen to the Boxset link for the 4th Doctor in a few hours.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 616

Up to now I have only listened to some of Mcgann stories.

Zagreus is the climax of what is basically the first two seasons of the Eighth Doctor's travels with Charley Pollard. It will make no sense whatsoever if you haven't heard those earlier stories. At the very least, you should first listen to Storm Warning and Neverland. It also ends on a cliffhanger.

If you want to hear the McGann stories, I would suggest beginning with Storm Warning or Blood of the Daleks (the beginning of the Lucie Miller era) or Doom Coalition (the beginning of the Liv/Helen era).
    Escalus5 wrote: »

Zagreus is the climax of what is basically the first two seasons of the Eighth Doctor's travels with Charley Pollard. It will make no sense whatsoever if you haven't heard those earlier stories. At the very least, you should first listen to Storm Warning and Neverland. It also ends on a cliffhanger.

If you want to hear the McGann stories, I would suggest beginning with Storm Warning or Blood of the Daleks (the beginning of the Lucie Miller era) or Doom Coalition (the beginning of the Liv/Helen era).

Thanks for that, I will hold off listening to Zagreus, I listened to Blood of the Daleks last year which was a good story, I really like Sheridan Smith's character and I am intrigued by who or what she is. If there is an arc I will listen to them in order.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,947

Thanks for that, I will hold off listening to Zagreus, I listened to Blood of the Daleks last year which was a good story, I really like Sheridan Smith's character and I am intrigued by who or what she is. If there is an arc I will listen to them in order.

Yeah that's a really good one and she's great. That's a good one to start from, definitely. That first series with her has a brilliant finale called Human Resources.

Yeah that's a really good one and she's great. That's a good one to start from, definitely. That first series with her has a brilliant finale called Human Resources.

Thankfully the season is all free on Spotify, I need to finish Horror of Glam Rock, it appears I have listened to a few of those from season 1 out of order.
    We were that close to get a crossover with Doctor Strange in the 90s :

https://www.cbr.com/doctor-strange-doctor-who-crossover-marvel-uk/

sullivan-drwho-drstrange.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&h=1141
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Here's a bit of fun, from Peter Davison's penultimate story Planet of Fire; anyone recognise anything in the shot? :)

Planetof-Fire.jpg
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 5,806
    Prepare your handkerchiefs, you're going to need them :

A few surprise guests, and lots of emotion. And still in confinement :

Thank You Doctors
    The Thirteenth Doctor Revisits the “Family of Blood” in New Doctor Who Short Story
    https://www.tor.com/2020/04/27/the-thirteenth-doctor-revisits-the-family-of-blood-in-new-doctor-who-short-story/
    Shadow in the Mirror

Shadow of Doubt
    This just in : four days after its release, the animated version of Power of the Daleks is going to receive a Special Edition, with lots of bonuses, including an episode of Robin Hood with Patrick Troughton playing the famous outlaw :

https://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/the-power-of-the-daleks-special-edition-dvd/

power-dvd-1.jpg

I will have to replace my DVD then. Out in july, according to Amazon.co.uk.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 13,894
    If that's out in July, then when are we getting Fury From The Deep? :-?
    For now, no answer to that question. Probably this fall, but with the current crisis, nthing is certain anymore. The Series 12 DVD set was supposed to be out in march/april, but has been pushed to may, and Amazon just told me that the series 12 soundtrack is no longer available by them. I will have to order it somewhere else. Plus, because of the crisis, I haven't been able to get my issues of Doctor Who Magazine (WH Smith in Paris is closed for the time being, which means that I've missed two issues already ; again, I'll have to order them elsewhere). Futile, I know, but it's those small joys that keeps me going.
    I would rather a new release first, but I have double dipped before (Remembrance Of The Daleks / Remembrance Of The Daleks: Special Edition). No doubt I will do the same here.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 23,327
    81AXbsWk3FL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81wAOkjk-eL._AC_SY606_.jpg
    Anyone who has Amazon Prime in the UK (the series maybe available in other regions), I have just noticed the 12 season series covering classic era is available to Prime members to stream. Over 72 hours of nostalgia, interviews covering all the seven Doctors runs. I have not seen this series myself, on first glance each Doctor has over six hours of episodes covering there respective era's. This should keep me busy for a few days.
    Doctor Who: Steven Moffat reveals there’s a secret future Doctor hidden in one of his old episodes
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-05-02/doctor-who-colin-salmon-moon/amp/
    :-O
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    So that's the secret of Zorin's power...

Zorin-Traken-Web.jpg
    Nice tribute here :

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Very strange to relegate two of the Doctors like that.
    They're incorrigible !

Still can't get along :)