'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

It was a fun romp indeed. Let's hope the Judoon episode is as good as this one too.
    It was a fun episode even if I have no problem with the show having a message, Who was always like that.
    What's waiting for us in the rest of the season ? here's a sneak peak :

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2020 Posts: 23,327
    I zoned out with this week's episode, it was boring, it reminded me of Sarah Jane TV show then I realised who was playing the villain.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    What'll happen first: Chibnall getting the boot, or the series being cancelled again?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    6 episodes left. Unless they turn around the falling numbers, the show is going to the gallows again.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/08/01/entertainment/doctor-who-hbo-max/index.html
    The HBO deal will ensure DW won't get cancelled anytime soon, I just hope Chibnall and Jodie leave at the end of this season. The current era is all surface and very basic, only the Spyfall episodes have created any intrigue from the Chibnall run so far.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/08/01/entertainment/doctor-who-hbo-max/index.html
    The HBO deal will ensure DW won't get cancelled anytime soon, I just hope Chibnall and Jodie leave at the end of this season. The current era is all surface and very basic, only the Spyfall episodes have created any intrigue from the Chibnall run so far.

Looks like it’s just a library acquisition; they’re not co-producing it or anything. It shouldn’t ensure anything really; there’s a similar deal with Netflix etc.

Ace showed more personality in the first few seconds of this trailer than the entire Tardis cast of the last one and a half seasons.
    Doctor Who Star Jodie Whittaker Will Return For Another Season
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr.com/doctor-who-jodie-whittaker-return-season-13/amp/
    ---
    Benni
    In the immortal words of Eleanor from The Good Place :

Holy MotherForking Shirtbags !!!!
    Jack is back ! And there was another Doctor we didn't know about !

In short, those viewers who left are going to be sorry they did so ! Greatness is back again !
    THAT IS MORE LIKE IT!!! THAT'S DOCTOR WHO!!!
    I agree that was bags of fun and made both of my daughters cheer, that and those great Judoon, they are just funny as heck.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't think it was great, mainly because I still have no idea what was going on and I didn't throughout the whole episode, but it was still better than most episodes in the last two series.
    mtm wrote: »
    I don't think it was great, mainly because I still have no idea what was going on and I didn't throughout the whole episode, but it was still better than most episodes in the last two series.

It was not great though it actually felt like I was watching Doctor Who, which is a big improvement.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I’m in two minds about that episode. One half was wow, felt like such a throwback (in a good way). The other half is, we’re treading on some very tricky terrain RE Who lore.

There is a get out of jail solution that would not mess with DW lore...
    That is indeed a version of the Doctor it could be The Valeyard
    Or some Big Finish lore could be incorporated into the TV show.

Or simply the Doctors timeline has been altered by some event which has effected past regerations?
    What ever the reason is I am happy the show has myself as a viewer theorising again.

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited January 2020 Posts: 5,080
    There is a get out of jail solution that would not mess with DW lore...
    That is indeed a version of the Doctor it could be The Valeyard
    Or some Big Finish lore could be incorporated into the TV show.

Or simply the Doctors timeline has been altered by some event which has effected past regerations?

What ever the reason is I am happy the show has myself as a viewer theorising again.
    At first, I thought she was gonna say she was the Rani. now THAT, I would whole heartedly be behind. But I’ll keep my mind open for now. The whole “I broke the glass”/Glass ceiling stuff has me anxious though, as things could really start to go down the rabbit hole...
    True we may have a major retcon to contend with, though there is precedent for Doctors existing pre Hartnell in the The Brain of Morbius, when Tom Bakers brain is being scanned.

There appears to be alot going on, I am thinking that the white light images in the Spyfall episodes are Cybermen trying to break through from the alternate earth Rose was stuck on with the other Tenant Doctor. The Master I think will use/used the Cybermen to destroy Gallifrey.
    I probably should have spoiler tagged all my previous post.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I’m in two minds about that episode. One half was wow, felt like such a throwback (in a good way).

It is hard to think of anything that happened in that episode that hasn't happened in a previous one: it just sort of rammed lots of old events together.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    As someone who has left, or given up, I don't feel sorry. The opposite actually. I get the cliff notes version of the morality tale of the week.
    RIP Rev. Wainright (Nicholas Parsons).
    RIP Rev. Wainright (Nicholas Parsons).

R. I. P. Nicholas Parsons he was great in the best Mccoy story.

Nicholas had a remarkable career as well as appearing in a handful of classic films he appeared on literally every well known TV (UK) shown that ever existed for the last 60 + years. I watched Just a minute back in the 90's.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'm another who has given up on the show, but I watched this episode due to hype.
    In my opinion it was better that many of Jodie's adventures, as they basically got rid of the companions, cut down on the virtue singling speeches, and I enjoyed Jo Martin's " character " perhaps if she'd been cast instead of Jodie, I'd still be watching. ;-)
    This week's episode zzzzzzzz
    giphy.gif
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I really think the music doesn’t help. It just drifts along at the same level making the whole thing feel like it’s been wallpapered over rather than enhanced dramatically by the score.
    It wasn’t bad, but yeah: not at all gripping.
    mtm wrote: »
    I really think the music doesn’t help. It just drifts along at the same level making the whole thing feel like it’s been wallpapered over rather than enhanced dramatically by the score.
    It wasn’t bad, but yeah: not at all gripping.

I agree the music in the episode is very one note, the acting was a bit flat at times also.
    I would give it 7 out of 10. It was suspenseful, with a nice tribute to Hitchcock, there were nice body horror moments, the message was not too heavy-handed (unlike, say "Orphan 55"). On the other hand, there were quite a few things that bugged me. Like, how did the astronaut manage to get a smartphone to contact his husband, or how did Yaz and Graham get their hands on the key to the facility they were investigating. And the cure worked really too quickly and too well. Plus, there was the fact that it followed a very good episode, and anything after that is bound to disappoint a little. Still, again, not as bad as "Orphan 55".
    Here's the cover and the details for the release of "The Faceless Ones" :

image.php?pid=27488
    The BBC has released more details about the March release of the Doctor Who missing serial The Faceless Ones.

The story will be released on DVD, Blu-Ray and SteelBook on 16th March 2020 and is now available to pre-order now from Amazon.

The Faceless Ones is the mostly missing eighth serial of the fourth season of Doctor Who, which was first broadcast in six weekly parts from April to May 1967. Starring Patrick Troughton as the Doctor, the story concerns a sinister race of identity-stealing aliens known as the Chameleons.

Only two of the six episodes are held in the BBC film archives with snippets of footage and still images existing from the other four. Fortunately, off-air recordings of the soundtrack also still exist, making the animation of a complete serial possible once again.

The six new animated episodes are being made in full colour and high definition and will include the following exclusive special features:
    Photographic reconstruction of the story, including surviving footage of episodes 1 & 3
    Audio commentary on episodes 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6
    ‘Making of the animated series’
    Camera script PDF’s
    Surviving film fragments from the story
    x5 ‘Easter Egg’ surprises
    Coming Soon Fury from the Deep trailer

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2020/02/doctor-who-faceless-ones-animation.html
    Gerard wrote: »
    Here's the cover and the details for the release of "The Faceless Ones" :

image.php?pid=27488
    The BBC has released more details about the March release of the Doctor Who missing serial The Faceless Ones.

The story will be released on DVD, Blu-Ray and SteelBook on 16th March 2020 and is now available to pre-order now from Amazon.

The Faceless Ones is the mostly missing eighth serial of the fourth season of Doctor Who, which was first broadcast in six weekly parts from April to May 1967. Starring Patrick Troughton as the Doctor, the story concerns a sinister race of identity-stealing aliens known as the Chameleons.

Only two of the six episodes are held in the BBC film archives with snippets of footage and still images existing from the other four. Fortunately, off-air recordings of the soundtrack also still exist, making the animation of a complete serial possible once again.

The six new animated episodes are being made in full colour and high definition and will include the following exclusive special features:
    Photographic reconstruction of the story, including surviving footage of episodes 1 & 3
    Audio commentary on episodes 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6
    ‘Making of the animated series’
    Camera script PDF’s
    Surviving film fragments from the story
    x5 ‘Easter Egg’ surprises
    Coming Soon Fury from the Deep trailer

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2020/02/doctor-who-faceless-ones-animation.html

About time. =D>