'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

Thirded. And "The Green Death" is one of the best. That ending still brings a little tear in my eye every time I watch it.
    The third episode of series 12 will be called Orphan 55 :

https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2019/12/21/doctor-who-series-12-episode-3-title-and-synopsis-revealed/

Synopsis :
    Having decided that everyone could do with a holiday, the Doctor takes Graham, Yasmin, and Ryan to a luxury resort for a spot of rest and relaxation. However, they discover the place where they are having a break is hiding a number of deadly secrets. What are the ferocious monsters that are attacking Tranquility Spa?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I've picked up all the " new who" box sets on
    Google play and Amazon prime, at a great price at
    The moment. Also BritBox from Boxing day is streaming loads of the classic Dr Who episodes. It's free to join for the first month, so an easy way to watch these great adventures again.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2019 Posts: 23,376
    I've picked up all the " new who" box sets on
    Google play and Amazon prime, at a great price at
    The moment. Also BritBox from Boxing day is streaming loads of the classic Dr Who episodes. It's free to join for the first month, so an easy way to watch these great adventures again.

Britbox? Is that the new BBC and ITV version of Netflix.

I will have to look on Google Play more often I always miss any deals on there.
    Edited: Glad I just looked on Google Play Movies they just gave me a rent any movie for 99p so chose Once Upon a Time in Hollywood I will watch that tonight.
    T'is the season for special offers. ;-)
    First (spoiler-free) review of "Spyfall" here :

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-12-27/doctor-who-spyfall-preview/

There's a little detail that should please Bond fans here :
    A character is named C

For those who know about the origin of the name, it's a nice Easter egg.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 5,811
    I just saw the first episode of the new season, and...

Well, my reaction at the ending can be resumed in three words, but two of them are inapropriate here. Let'"s just say that their initials are H.F.S.

Now, that's a great episode. Let's hope the second part will not disappoint.
    That was indeed a fun comeback of the show with some surprises that had not been spoilered yet.
  • It was okay. Better than series 11 because there was actually a sense of danger and tension but I think that's me done with the show for the time being to be honest. Still just can't warm to Whittaker, none of the gags landed at all for me, the plot was pretty standard stuff until the ending. And as for that ending
    it just seems so creatively bankrupt to me. The reveal was done well, the actor seemed promising in that little snippet (if a bit similar to Simm), and I know the character was always going to be back eventually, but come on. Too soon imo. We've had one short series without him/her and we're already back to the Master. Again. Yay.

I know it's a kids show and the famous bad guys are always going to come back but this still seems too soon to me. In another few years that reveal would have got me really excited. But because of how soon it's been it just made me decide not to bother with the rest of the series. I just feel like we've seen it all before, quite recently, and with a much better writer running things.

I wasn't a big fan of all of Matt Smith's run at the time because of how complicated it got, but in retrospect it was at least really ambitious and forward thinking. There were old bad guys but the main story, the Silence/River Song thing, felt really original after years of it always being the Daleks behind everything.

It would have been nice if Chibnall could have been similarly forward thinking for his first few years, but nah. Instead we get a series of literally nothing happening at all followed by him quickly smashing the panic button and wheeling out the Daleks and now the Master, a character who Steven Moffat had used well for three series and given a good send off just 10 episodes ago.

So, yeah, think I'll be bowing out now. I guess it's different for those of you who've been big fans since childhood to be fair. But for me, I just feel like I've seen it all before, but better, and I've got too many other shows to catch up on as it is.

I'm genuinely glad you all enjoyed it, just isn't for me anymore I don't think. I'll probably pop back for the next anniversary if they get some of the old doctors back, or when Chibnall/Jodie leave. Whichever comes first.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I loved it. When I saw they were going Bond I thought "there had better be some callbacks to the Pertwee era then" and I was not disappointed.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2020 Posts: 14,961
    Yeah it seemed an improvement over the last series and appeared very well made. I don’t want to say it was bad or anything but I might have lost interest myself a bit too. It used to be excellent and it’s not that any more: there no longer seem to be much in the way of interesting ideas in it. But it’s reasonably well-done adventure drama. I’ll keep watching but I can’t get excited about it.
    I was bored by most of it up until the last ten minutes or so. I'm hoping
    part two will be better.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Quite enjoyed that episode, delicious twist at the end.

Always happy to see some fellow Aussies in DW, even though on screen we always sound more like South Africans for some reason..

The music that plays over the Moscow intro - it sounded like they were about to play the 007 theme!
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Sorry to take a more negative note, but I have to agree with @thelivingroyale Compare this episode to RTD’s Utopia or Moffat’s Dark Water (the showrunner’s respective “Master reveal” episodes), and Spyfall just pales in comparison and exemplifies how much of a hack Chibnall is. I’ll grit through this series as per.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Totally forgot it was on, I will try to watch it tomorrow. There was a time I would sit eagerly awaiting the new episode to start, last season left a bitter taste.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 23,376
    Cheers BBC I was looking randomly online and BBC gave away a big spoiler in a thumbnail Gr.

Edited: It's a shame it was spoiled though Spyfall pt1 was a decent episode, much better than last season in that there is an actual story. Clearly Chibnall has watched some of the DC TV shows and the MCU, its obvious what's going on. Jodie still has yet to put her stamp on the character, in fact her Doctor at the moment is bland.
    The Master reveal was underwhelming and personally I think they have brought the character back way too soon. The miniature human was a fun call back admittedly.
    Spyfall pt2 was bloody awful, they were throwing half baked ideas around like confetti. Though amongst the amateur writing there were a few great crazy ideas and events that have peaked my interest.
    I actually rather enjoyed that. Little bit worried (ok understatement, astoundingly anxious) Chibnall is gonna mess around with Who lore though in coming episodes...
    I actually rather enjoyed that. Little bit worried (ok understatement, astoundingly anxious) Chibnall is gonna mess around with Who lore though in coming episodes...

I have a theory
    Alternate dimension Gallifrey
    , if not some poor writers are treading on thin ice.
    Sorry guys but I agree part two was bloody awful
    I was bored throughout, and now reading Jodie could be replaced after this series ?
    Chibnall threw literally everything at the wall hoping something would stick. It was an utter mess though more entertaining than last seasons borefest admittedly.
    Listening to RADIO FREE SKARO podcast, they mention that a snare drum used in DN was used in the score for Spyfall.
    Lenny Henry - Doctor Who Parody

I completely forgot about this :))
    You will be privatised :))

Edited: @Gerard just saw you posted this previously
    Orphan 55 this week's episode of Doctor Exposition is like a poor RTD episode which is a complement, as its better than last season so things are improving slightly. The script is littered with issues and characters constantly make nonsensical decisions. One line of dialogue really did make me cringe.
    Global warming propaganda.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Doing an episode where the Doctor all but turns to camera at the end like He-Man to tell us global warming is bad and flying the whole cast and crew to Tenerife to do so is pretty stupid.
    Yes, that part of the episode I didn't like. In fact, the He-Man comparison is quite right. I felt as if I was watching a saturday morning cartoon like Bravestarr or Captain Planet. Even when Doctor Who went environmentalist on us ("The Green Death" comes to mind), it was not that preachy.

Now, I liked it, mind you. The "Base under Siege" is a classic, I loved the reference to Troughton, and the nod to "The Mysterious Planet", but still, compared to the first two episodes of the season, that one was a disappointment. I give it 6/10, and I'm generous.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 5,811
    Yay ! One of the best seasons ever is getting a Blu-Ray release :

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2020/01/season-14-bluray-release-140120080008.html

image.php?pid=27395

And yes, Ms. Jameson, you still got it !

Out on april 20th 2020.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Still waiting for the series 26 set to be released.

360 VR video move the screen with your finger

My favourite Jodie episide by far
    This weeks episode was actually very entertaining. No forced political or social agenda, just a good old fashioned romp. The monster of the week wasn’t exactly groundbreaking, but this is the first episode since last series’ Kerblam! that is worth the paper it is written on.