'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2020 Posts: 23,105
    12:7 Can you here me? Decent episode though still littered with issues which plague the general feel of this and last season. There was a decent reference dropped by the antagonist, I did feel the resolution a bit easy and rushed.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Even being generous and looking at the consodidated numbers, they are now where the show was in the late 80's. Survival episodes 1 and 3 both had 5.0M, with episode 2 drawing in 4.8M.
    Furthermore, the series 26 numbers started of at 3.1M for episode 1 of Battlefield, and meander upwards from there. It's as if word was starting to get around that the stories were improving in quality.
    Even being generous and looking at the consodidated numbers, they are now where the show was in the late 80's. Survival episodes 1 and 3 both had 5.0M, with episode 2 drawing in 4.8M.
    Furthermore, the series 26 numbers started of at 3.1M for episode 1 of Battlefield, and meander upwards from there. It's as if word was starting to get around that the stories were improving in quality.

The show has improved slightly, though it is either incredibly boring with drab monotone characters or overstuffed with too many half baked ideas. The last two episodes were so badly structured from a writing perspective I and many others I spoke to had no idea what was going on.

Chibnall should have kept on long serving DW sci fi writers who knew what they were doing. now the show has Emmerdale writers.

Unfortunately great classic monsters like the Cybermen are not helping the show, too many viewers have already checked out.

I have avoided spoilers for the finale, though the rumours are DW Canon is going to be altered considerably.

---
    BBC Drama Chief Defends ‘Doctor Who,’ Says It’s A “Long Way” From Being Rested Amid Ratings Drop
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2020/02/bbc-doctor-who-not-being-rested-1202866816/amp/
    edited March 2020 Posts: 23,105
    Season 12 Finale...
    giphy.gif

Bradley Walsh to quit Doctor Who after this year's Christmas special
    EXCLUSIVE: Bradley Walsh will quit Doctor Who along with co-star Tosin Cole after this year’s festive special as Jodie Whittaker’s Time Lord battles the Daleks

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/bradley-walsh-set-sensationally-quit-21618111.amp
    Shame that in two years the companions hardly got any character development.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Well, at least there's good news, we are less than two weeks from the DVD/BR release of The Faceless Ones.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 2020 Posts: 5,834
    For me, Doctor Who hasn't been the same since Series 10 started. I just can't get behind the writing of the show since then, and Chris Chibnall just doesn't have the right vision for me to be able to enjoy any of this.

It just feels flat, and I love Jodie Whitaker but i can see her acting, and she just doesn't feel natural. I don't see her as the Doctor. I think there are many other actresses that could've done a more interesting job.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Denbigh wrote: »
    For me, Doctor Who hasn't been the same since Series 10 started. I just can't get behind the writing of the show since then, and Chris Chibnall just doesn't have the right vision for me to be able to enjoy any of this.

It just feels flat, and I love Jodie Whitaker but i can see her acting, and she just doesn't feel natural. I don't see her as the Doctor. I think there are many other actresses that could've done a more interesting job.

Yep, totally with you there. It's just plain not written well enough: the big finale was just an hour of the Master telling her a story about her past which didn't actually change anything about her or what was going on in the main story. It's just a bit bad.
    I will be grabbing my copy of The Faceess Ones later. I'm hoping that Fury from The Deep isn't being held back until later in the year. That is my most anticipated story.

I've been having a McCoy marathon lately.

Time And The Rani
    Yeah.... it's hard to defend Time And The Rani, even as a fan of this era. Lots of the Doctor bumbling around and mixing his metaphors. The late, greate, Kate O'Mara as The Rani is by far and away the highligh of the story. Pity she didn't return much later in McCoy's run (not counting Dimensions In Time). I will say of the regeneration, I don't think it is as bad as it is frequently written off as. Yes, it would have been better had Baker been on hand to film his half, but under the circumstances, it's passable.

Paradise Towers
    It's an improvement over Time And The Rani, which might not be saying all that much. The Doctor has already started to evolve (thankfully!) but... I mean.... The Cheif Caretaker is played by Richard Briers in a silly moustache. The highlight has to be the Doctor using the Caretakers rulebook against them.

1. Paradise Towers
    2. Time And The Rani
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I will be grabbing my copy of The Faceess Ones later. I'm hoping that Fury from The Deep isn't being held back until later in the year. That is my most anticipated story.

Time And The Rani
    Yeah.... it's hard to defend Time And The Rani, even as a fan of this era. Lots of the Doctor bumbling around and mixing his metaphors. The late, greate, Kate O'Mara as The Rani is by far and away the highligh of the story. Pity she didn't return much later in McCoy's run (not counting Dimensions In Time). I will say of the regeneration, I don't think it is as bad as it is frequently written off as. Yes, it would have been better had Baker been on hand to film his half, but under the circumstances, it's passable.

Many years ago I had a go at re-doing the regeneration; apologies for the lack of sound!

mtm wrote: »

Time And The Rani

Many years ago I had a go at re-doing the regeneration; apologies for the lack of sound!

That's your video? I've watched that before, it's very good.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Thanks!

Time And The Rani

Paradise Towers
    It's an improvement over Time And The Rani, which might not be saying all that much. The Doctor has already started to evolve (thankfully!) but... I mean.... The Cheif Caretaker is played by Richard Briers in a silly moustache. The highlight has to be the Doctor using the Caretakers rulebook against them.

1. Paradise Towers
    2. Time And The Rani

I really struggle with those two episodes, the production and costume design in no way helped either

Time And The Rani

Paradise Towers

1. Paradise Towers
    2. Time And The Rani

I really struggle with those two episodes, the production and costume design in no way helped either

It's my favourite era, but series 24 is indefensible. On the upside, the stories only get better from here, through series 26.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Time And The Rani

Paradise Towers

1. Paradise Towers
    2. Time And The Rani

It's my favourite era, but series 24 is indefensible. On the upside, the stories only get better from here, through series 26.

I don't think indefensible: they reset the show back to being a friendly Doctor with his best friend who actually enjoyed travelling with him (something they bizarrely hadn't done since 1979 or so!), and we get some pretty straightforward adventure stories. As a kid I absolutely loved it, and although I can certainly see the problems there, I still think some of it wallops along quite nicely even if it's fairly simple stuff- and I will never understand why more folk don't enjoy Dragonfire as I think it's a really well-structured story.

Time And The Rani

Paradise Towers

1. Paradise Towers
    2. Time And The Rani

I don't think indefensible: they reset the show back to being a friendly Doctor with his best friend who actually enjoyed travelling with him (something they bizarrely hadn't done since 1979 or so!), and we get some pretty straightforward adventure stories. As a kid I absolutely loved it, and although I can certainly see the problems there, I still think some of it wallops along quite nicely even if it's fairly simple stuff- and I will never understand why more folk don't enjoy Dragonfire as I think it's a really well-structured story.

Ok, maybe indefensible was a bit unfair.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I do rather still love Time and Rani as well: even though I can see it has problems it is a fairly decent inoffensive story and it works as a tale: but nostalgia as having seen it as an eight year old means I can never be objective about it! :D
    Did you know it was supposed to be on a lush forest planet? It actually makes way more sense that way.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 13,882
    I do rather still love Time and Rani as well: even though I can see it has problems it is a fairly decent inoffensive story and it works as a tale: but nostalgia as having seen it as an eight year old means I can never be objective about it! :D
    Did you know it was supposed to be on a lush forest planet? It actually makes way more sense that way.

At the end of the day, Time And The Rani introduced my favourite Doctor, so I don't loathe it. Everyone involved should be commended for being able to get series 24 made, given the brief window they had.

I think Pip & Jane Baker talk about what Lakertya was supposed to look like in the Last Chance Saloon documentary.
    "Hi-De-Hi campers!"

Delta And The Bannermen
    That's right, it's time to head for Disneyland a Holliday Camp in Wales. I would like to say that I am NOT offended by Sarah Griffiths Welsh accent. It is more easy on the ear than some actual Welsh accents. Ray is likeable enough, but it's hard to say whether she would have taken off in the way that Ace did. The iconic questionmark umbrella finally makes its first appearance. I can't stand Ken Dodd, so I get a feeling of joy over his character being gunned down. Not gonna feel bad about it, either.

1. Delta And The Bannermen
    2. Paradise Towers
    3. Time And The Rani
    "Hi-De-Hi campers!"

Delta And The Bannermen
    That's right, it's time to head for Disneyland a Holliday Camp in Wales. I would like to say that I am NOT offended by Sarah Griffiths Welsh accent. It is more easy on the ear than some actual Welsh accents. Ray is likeable enough, but it's hard to say whether she would have taken off in the way that Ace did. The iconic questionmark umbrella finally makes its first appearance. I can't stand Ken Dodd, so I get a feeling of joy over his character being gunned down. Not gonna feel bad about it, either.

2. Paradise Towers
    3. Time And The Rani

I last rewatched this episode two years ago, I recall at the time thinking Ray would have been a great companion, she is one of the best things in it. I liked her when I watched it in the 80's and two years ago still was attracted to her. The episode is all over the place and clearly the food hygiene was different back then :))
    edited March 2020 Posts: 13,882
    "Hi-De-Hi campers!"

Delta And The Bannermen

2. Paradise Towers
    3. Time And The Rani

I last rewatched this episode two years ago, I recall at the time thinking Ray would have been a great companion, she is one of the best things in it. I liked her when I watched it in the 80's and two years ago still was attracted to her. The episode is all over the place and clearly the food hygiene was different back then :))

Yeah, she was very likeable. Another character which I think would have made a good companion, was Earl from The Happiness Patrol. Imagine the jamming sessions in the TARDIS, the Doctor on his spoons, and Earl with his harmonica. :D
    "Hi-De-Hi campers!"

Delta And The Bannermen

2. Paradise Towers
    3. Time And The Rani

Yeah, she was very likeable. Another character which I think would have made a good companion, was Earl from The Happiness Patrol. Imagine the jamming sessions in the TARDIS, the Doctor on his spoons, and Earl with his harmonica. :D

I cant remember Earl, is The Happiness Patrol the episode with the Dolly Mixture Man and the Pink Candyfloss Hair ladies? It attempts a film noir feel?
    "Hi-De-Hi campers!"

Delta And The Bannermen

2. Paradise Towers
    3. Time And The Rani

I cant remember Earl, is The Happiness Patrol the episode with the Dolly Mixture Man and the Pink Candyfloss Hair ladies? It attempts a film noir feel?

Ha ha, yeah that's the one. Bertie Bassett The Kandyman.
    "Hi-De-Hi campers!"

Delta And The Bannermen

2. Paradise Towers
    3. Time And The Rani

I vividly remember watching it when it first aired as it was at the point I almost checked out of DW, though as you mentioned before things improve with the next season, admittedly the season finale? when Ace first appears was ok, with a familiar face returning from Trial of a Timelord Glitz.
    "Hi-De-Hi campers!"

Delta And The Bannermen

2. Paradise Towers
    3. Time And The Rani

I vividly remember watching it when it first aired as it was at the point I almost checked out of DW, though as you mentioned before things improve with the next season, admittedly the season finale? when Ace first appears was ok, with a familiar face returning from Trial of a Timelord Glitz.

I actually like The Happiness Patrol. I like how it's almost... subversive. It looks like a colourful series 24 story, but there's a sadness or a melancholy running underneath.

Ace arriving is a sign that, if not the production values, then at least the writing, is about to improve. It's hard not to feel for Bonnie Langford, all she got to do was scream, very loudly.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    A good bit of trivia is, that with all of yer Sir Lenny Henrys and Sir John Hurts and Sir Michael Gambons etc. the first knight of the realm to appear in Doctor Who (although yet to gain that honour at the time) was Sir Ken Dodd :)
    "Hi-De-Hi campers!"

Delta And The Bannermen

2. Paradise Towers
    3. Time And The Rani

I actually like The Happiness Patrol. I like how it's almost... subversive. It looks like a colourful series 24 story, but there's a sadness or a melancholy running underneath.

Ace arriving is a sign that, if not the production values, then at least the writing, is about to improve. It's hard not to feel for Bonnie Langford, all she got to do was scream, very loudly.

Bonnie Langford really was not given much direction, I always found her introduction a bit abrupt. Peri was a favourite of mine so anyone replacing her was likely to be tough, and Peri's retcon I could complain about that for some time.

I have been thinking about getting Britbox apparently most of the classic DW episodes are on there (certain Dalek episodes are likely to be missing).