'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    I liked how Series 9 felt like a return to the classic-era, and less forumalic.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'd say the classic era was extremely formulaic. Not a criticism, but the 21st century series would do different stylistic and tonal things far more often from week-to-week.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I only have a few of the classic series on dvd but Britbox have them all
    And here are the covers for the next three Target novelizations :

movie.jpg

dalek-6.jpg

crimson.jpg
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I don't mind Colin Baker though
    mtm wrote: »
    I tend to watch World enough and Time the most that's a great two part episode to finish on.

I kind of see that as the final episode ever in a way. It would have made a decent ending for the whole thing.

It's just too badly written to get much of my interest now.

I like the Missy and Master side plot, Missy could be the final ever Master who eventually sided with the Doctor before her death. So there would be countless incarnations of the Master between Simm's Master and Missy.
    And here's the cover for the Target adaptation of The Witchfinders :

witchfinder.jpg
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Got around to finishing my rewatch of the Davison era, with The Caves Of Androzani

10/10 A+.... Just an absolute jewel in the shows crown. I can’t heap enough praise on this story.

I think I will jump backwards to the Troughton era next.
    Got around to finishing my rewatch of the Davison era, with The Caves Of Androzani

10/10 A+.... Just an absolute jewel in the shows crown. I can’t heap enough praise on this story.

Indeed a nice series with Davison. I have pre-ordered the next Throughton series boxset, I will then rewatch him in glorious bluray.
    I find it fascinating watching a few videos on YouTube, on the search that's still
    on going to find Missing episodes of the old classic series, and how many were
    restored from Old Black and white copies to colour.
    Next in the Blu-Ray releases of the classic : Series 24, with "Time and the Rani", "Paradise Towers", "Delta and the Bannermen" and "Dragonfire" :

https://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/doctor-who-the-collection-season-24/

season-24-1.jpg

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I just love the fact that Sylvester got back into the costume for that video.
    That is just fun, put my pre-order in or course.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom

Indeed. Davison's era was a huge disappointment, but it went out with a bang. Caves is in the top 10 stories of Who. Maybe even top 5.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Time and the Rani is appalling though I recently re-watched it, its just so bad on every level. I really do struggle with McCoy's first season, thankfully McCoy's era does improve (not in budget) when they stop making McCoy's Doctor a clown.
    edited January 2021 Posts: 13,894
    Roadphill wrote: »

Indeed. Davison's era was a huge disappointment, but it went out with a bang. Caves is in the top 10 stories of Who. Maybe even top 5.

I used to think that, I used to think of Davisons Doctor as being wet. But he has grown on me, as has his era which is not short of standout stories imo: The Caves Of Androzani (which goes without saying), Earthshock, Resurrection of The Daleks and I quite like The Awakening. Also, I am slightly in love with Nyssa. :x Ok, remove 'slightly'. ;)

I don't think I have attempted a top 10. My top 5 would probably consist of all 4 Series 26 stories, plus Remembrance of The Daleks. The next 5, to round out the list..... I mean, there's so many to choose. I'd have to have The Sea Devils and The Invasion in there, somewhere.
    Time and the Rani is appalling though I recently re-watched it, its just so bad on every level. I really do struggle with McCoy's first season, thankfully McCoy's era does improve (not in budget) when they stop making McCoy's Doctor a clown.

As much as Sylvester is my favourite Doctor..... yeah, even I struggle to defend Time And The Rani. Whenever I watch it, i get into the mindset of.... sort of pacing myself. I keep telling myself to just get through it, the stories improve later on.
    A couple of my favourite McCoy stories are Remembrance of the Daleks and
    The Curse of Fenric, which I feel harkens back to the good old Jon Pertwee days.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I've always enjoyed Time and The Rani. It belts along and is a pretty fun space adventure as long as you're not hoping for too much.
    Continuing with the Troughton era, I watched The Macra Terror.

477fd239fb39bcb1d97182cc8bf99a80e069821d.gifv

4 episodes long, and it felt like they just flew by.
    I've always enjoyed Time and The Rani. It belts along and is a pretty fun space adventure as long as you're not hoping for too much.

The only Seven/Mel story that I had trouble sitting through is Delta and the Bannermen, and even that has its moments. I love Bonnie Langford and never understood the ire directed at her performances. Will definitely be picking up that Blu ray set!
    Escalus5 wrote: »

The only Seven/Mel story that I had trouble sitting through is Delta and the Bannermen, and even that has its moments. I love Bonnie Langford and never understood the ire directed at her performances. Will definitely be picking up that Blu ray set!

I suspect that the issues are not with her perfomances (which I don't see a problem with), but with the screaming that she was made to do by JNT.
    Indeed. Her running from Tetraps while screaming was certainly not her best moment in the series.
    Best thing from Delta and the Bannermen was Ray, Ray would have made a good companion.
    Agreed. I mean, Delta was qute fetching, but Ray was much better (and Billy an idiot for dumping her).
    edited January 2021 Posts: 23,271
    Ray had a well developed character in a very short time I thought. I still find other parts of the episode almost unwatchable, the lack of budget really is very apparent shot in video tape in Delta and the Bannermen.
    Ace is my favourite companion, but I have wondered how different it would have been with Ray.

Another character that I think would have made a good addition to the Tardis, was Earl, from The Happiness Patrol. He played a mean Harmonica.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2021 Posts: 14,935
    Escalus5 wrote: »

The only Seven/Mel story that I had trouble sitting through is Delta and the Bannermen, and even that has its moments.

Yeah that gets a bit hard to sit through, but the first episode is maybe the best one of that season.
    Best thing from Delta and the Bannermen was Ray, Ray would have made a good companion.

I don't think I could have stood that version of a Welsh accent for a whole series.

Doctor Who Sings - Boulevard of Broken Dreams
    I posted this on the Pierce Brosnan thread too.

Only recently heard this ( and only from one source ) That when Colin Baker got the
    role of Commander Maxil in the Dr who story Arc of infinity ( Before going on to
    become Dr Who Himself later ) The other actor up for the role was a certain Mr
    Pierce Brosnan. So perhaps in a parallel world Pierce is the sixth Doctor :D
    I posted this on the Pierce Brosnan thread too.

Only recently heard this ( and only from one source ) That when Colin Baker got the
    role of Commander Maxil in the Dr who story Arc of infinity ( Before going on to
    become Dr Who Himself later ) The other actor up for the role was a certain Mr
    Pierce Brosnan. So perhaps in a parallel world Pierce is the sixth Doctor :D

wow, there is a role I'd never would guess with Pierce, glad he did not make the cut.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2021 Posts: 14,935
    Can that be right? Remington Steel started broadcasting three months before Arc of Infinity was shown; it feels unlikely he hadn't started work on Steel quite a bit beforehand.