Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Genuinely interested Trump voters....

I read in here recently someone who said they thought masks were “unamerican”

Can I get thoughts on that now trump has done a 180°, has been seen wearing one and now says they are “patriotic. “

America put a senile senior citizen in office. This is what you get. Grandpa can't remember what he said five minutes ago. It's all going a bit fast for him. And it won't get any better, as we've got an even older dude challenging this one. When are those bloody boomers going to finally leave matters in the hands of capable gen X'ers? :p

All joking aside, I'm at least glad that he's finally taking things seriously. Every life saved from now on is worth it.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Our governor in NY has obliterated so many businesses its unbelievable.

With so many cases surging in the last month and half, one would assume the death rate would skyrocket, but it hasn't.

The number of deaths due to COVID-19 has always been seen as a lagging indicator, and with the US toll currently up to about 950 per day the next few weeks will be critical. With the recent spike in cases affecting younger people however, I would expect the fatalities per capita metrics to be lower than those experienced back in April and May.

In any case, there is more to the situation than the “death count.” For example, at the individual level the long-range side-effects from having (and then recovering from) COVID-19 are still being debated. And I don’t want to even think about the financial costs that those increasingly without medical insurance will have to bear in the months and years to come. Furthermore, the toll on our hospital system that has resulted from the pandemic continues to be significant. One of the most disturbing pieces of information that I read back in March (on an aerospace news/discussion website no less!) concerned the lack of hospital beds in the US per capita. Go to the top of the list and then start scrolling down – and down – and down

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_hospital_beds

As to your first point about the governor of NY having “obliterated so many businesses its unbelievable.”

I’m curious, as to what you think should have been done.

No sane person that I know has attempted to minimize the emotional and financial toll these lock-downs are having on small business owners and their employees. I speak to the owners of several establishments in my neighborhood with some frequency; and you can almost feel the pain that they are going through. And although many of them have been re-opened for some weeks now, business hasn’t returned to its prior level.

From a governmental perspective, those businesses generate the tax revenue that is responsible for “keeping the lights on” and those dollars are certainly needed at the moment. That said, as with most everything, there is a “balance” and there are priorities. And back in March, with New York as the epicenter for the pandemic, the priority was clearly – and wisely IMO – on the side on attempting to minimize the number of hospitalizations and fatalities resulting from COVID-19. If anything, NY State’s governor has been criticized for waiting until March 20th to shut things down, and that he should have acted the minute the first “in-community” COVID-19 transmission was reported.

IMO, the worse possible outcome – from a financial and societal angle – is to re-open prematurely and then have to shut everything down again when cases to spike again.

FYI
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/17/coronavirus-live-updates-us/

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/17/world/coronavirus-cases-update.html

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Now for a little good news for a change. Here in New York City we will enter phase 4 of our re-opening plan next week.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/17/nyregion/phase-4-nyc-reopen.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Amid concerns about a coronavirus resurgence, New York City will enter a limited fourth phase of reopening on Monday, allowing some art and entertainment venues like zoos and botanical gardens to open for outdoor activities only, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced on Friday.

But stringent limits will remain on indoor activities: Gyms, malls and movie theaters are expected to remain shuttered, and indoor dining will still not be allowed.

This is in keeping with the phase 3 decision of a couple of weeks ago. I do know, however, that the Metropolitan Museum of Art was hoping to re-open at the end of August at 25% capacity, and several smaller movie theaters were hoping to do the same. For now, those plans are on hold with this latest announcement.

New York City was the epicenter, not the entire state. Central and western NY suffered hard when the governor instituted the same rules/guidelines to the entire state when, the NYC had it the worst. He should had shutdown NYC/boards ASAP. No planes in or out. (same thing should have happened to the entire country too) In central NY where I live, so many businesses had to shutdown, and won't likely re-open.

It was so stupid that the governor was still letting bus loads of family members from NYC travel to state prisons all across the state. But hey lets spread it.

I have always been a firm believer in, you can't treat Upstate NY the same as Downstate NY. They are different animals. This also applies to the covid situation.

edited July 2020 Posts: 784
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    When are those bloody boomers going to finally leave matters in the hands of capable gen X'ers? :p

When they exist I guess. They, along with millennial's are part of the downfall of society.
    When are those bloody boomers going to finally leave matters in the hands of capable gen X'ers? :p

When they exist I guess. They, along with millennial's are part of the downfall of society.

At least they won't have to get up three times at night to empty their blabber. ;-)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    The 2021 Summer Olympics are unlikely to be held if the Covid-19 situation does not improve.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2020/07/21/2021-tokyo-olympics-experts-say-covid-pandemic-makes-games-unlikely/3287488001/

----

The outbreak is surging in Bolivia, Ecuador, Colombia and Peru. More than 300 million people risk developing complications from Covid-19 because of underlying conditions.

----

The outbreak has devastated tourism in Africa.

"I don't think tourism will ever look like it did before," said Naledi Kabo, CEO of Africa Tourism Association.

----

Yesterday, Australia recorded its worst day since the pandemic began, with 502 new cases.

Their previous worst day was on March 28th, with 469 new cases. Only 6 weeks ago, on June 9th, Australia recorded 2 new cases.

Australia is in the middle of winter right now. I hope this is not a foreboding for what will happen in the northern hemisphere come november.

I take it that's also the end of the 'bubble' they wanted with NZ.

some good news: a Dutch hospital in the hardest hit area (in the Netherlands) has developed a treatment with two standard medications that are available worldwide which helps treat severe cases and prevents them from getting worse. It's supposedly bringing the mortality down by 60%.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Australian winter is equivalent to our summer. Their summer is equivalent to hell.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Brazil has obliterated their worst day of the pandemic, with over 67,000 new cases recorded on July 22nd. Their previous worst day was on June 19th, with 55,209 new cases.

World-wide, yesterday was the worst day of the pandemic, with over 280,000 new cases. Yesterday also marked the first day since April 21st where the daily death-toll went over 7,000 fatalities.
    While we had flattened and dropped the curve here in Belgium, the second wave has officially begun. The infection rates are increasing at an alarming rate. Accusing fingers are pointed in the direction of parties, pubs and other cosy "gettin'-togethers". A lot of people believed the worst was behind us, but now the future looks grim. A statistical model--for what it's worth--predicts the new curve won't reach its peak until somewhere in Nov. and said peak will climb higher than before.

I've said it often and loud, the "exit" came way too soon!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    A statistical model--for what it's worth--predicts the new curve won't reach its peak until somewhere in Nov. and said peak will climb higher than before.

Statistical models for the USA as recently as June predicted the US would reach 200,000 fatalities by early October. Looking at current trends, they will reach 200,000 deaths a month earlier than even the most pessimistic projections. And it is not out of the question that they could reach that grim milestone in late August. They currently record between 65,000 and 75,000 infection every day, and with the lag factor, deaths are bound to start increasing too. As of yesterday they are back to over 1,200 daily deaths. The last time they were over 2,000 daily deaths, they were averaging 35,000 daily infections. God only knows what this second peak will look like, especially given many hospitals and ICUs have reached maximum capacity.
    While we had flattened and dropped the curve here in Belgium, the second wave has officially begun. The infection rates are increasing at an alarming rate. Accusing fingers are pointed in the direction of parties, pubs and other cosy "gettin'-togethers". A lot of people believed the worst was behind us, but now the future looks grim. A statistical model--for what it's worth--predicts the new curve won't reach its peak until somewhere in Nov. and said peak will climb higher than before.

Here in Ireland we are having that issue too, with parties and such. Government delayed opening pubs because of it. Theres also a worrying trend at building sites, where clusters have emerged!

It’s not even just the exit timing though. It’s the unwillingness to comply with basic principles that I don’t understand.

I haven’t been in a crowded place since March. I haven’t seen my parents since Xmas. Ive has to teach two kids 2 hours a day while working 8 hour days at home, but some people can’t even sit 1m apart in a park.

It’s not even just the exit timing though. It’s the unwillingness to comply with basic principles that I don’t understand.

I haven’t been in a crowded place since March. I haven’t seen my parents since Xmas. Ive has to teach two kids 2 hours a day while working 8 hour days at home, but some people can’t even sit 1m apart in a park.

Same here. My parents don't live too far away from me so I pass by their house, ring and then step several meters away from the door. We have conversations from a distance. I haven't visited any crowded place either. My girlfriend does the shopping on her way from work; just in and out and only when there aren't too many cars on the parking lot. Pubs, restaurants, cinemas, ... forget it; we ain't going.
    For the third consecutive day, the USA have recorded over 1,000 deaths. They are on their way to reach total 200,000 deaths around mid-September.
    Exponential growth in the USA:

1st case to 1 millionth case: 98 days.
    1 millionth case to 2 millionth case: 45 days.
    2 millionth case to 3 millionth case: 27 days.
    3 millionth case to 4 millionth case: 15 days.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

At this rate, it should barely be a week before we hit five million cases. Embarrassing.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Creasy47 wrote: »

At this rate, it should barely be a week before we hit five million cases. Embarrassing.

5 million in 8 days
    6 million in 12 days
    7 million in 14 days
    8 million in 15 days
    So by the end of november you can reach the full 331 million.
    what will the survival rate be, given these estimates? Will the world end?
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    It's very dissapointing that the super rich and famous aren't doing enough to find a vaccine by donating money or facilities.

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Yes, for perspective cases do not equal deaths, hospitalizations, lasting effects, or even symptoms.

So there is no end to the world pending. Nor end to discussion of this topic.
    For the 4th consecutive day, the USA has recorded over 1,000 deaths.

If the situation does not improve, the USA will be back above 2,000 daily deaths within the next few weeks.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Speaking about the US, the NYT writes how the “sick man of Europe” is putting the US to shame.

”Why Can’t Trump’s America Be Like Italy?”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/23/opinion/us-italy-coronavirus.html
    Meanwhile in Kentucky,

cldec1ly1a37.png

armed militias are gathering outside, 1) because we're still living in Medieval times and the pitchfork posse hasn't gone out of style yet, 2) because indeed, who cares about a pandemic?--let's just get together!

I understand that these people are fighting a good fight, but seriously, must we do that NOW? Also, all those guns, really? It's rather frightening to see so many "ordinary" people loaded like that. And this is supposed to be the most civilized country in the world... I'm sorry, but seeing this in 2020 in a country that isn't Syria or N-Korea rather angers me.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I'm sorry, but seeing this in 2020 in a country that isn't Syria or N-Korea rather angers me.
    Our GOP is letting unemployment slide in the hopes of igniting a civil war so they can stay in power. Making lemons into lemonade, as it were. Hell with a dumb pandemic....
    DarthDimi, scary stuff. One could not take a picture like that in any European country in 2020.
    It's a bit more understandable for me lately, considering peaceful protestors are being taken in by police officers with no insignia, thrown in unmarked vehicles and disappearing into tonight.
    Meanwhile in Kentucky,

cldec1ly1a37.png

armed militias are gathering outside, 1) because we're still living in Medieval times and the pitchfork posse hasn't gone out of style yet, 2) because indeed, who cares about a pandemic?--let's just get together!

I understand that these people are fighting a good fight, but seriously, must we do that NOW? Also, all those guns, really? It's rather frightening to see so many "ordinary" people loaded like that. And this is supposed to be the most civilized country in the world... I'm sorry, but seeing this in 2020 in a country that isn't Syria or N-Korea rather angers me.

Ahh, the NFAC, whose founder espouses serious antisemitic views. These are the same folks responsible for an accidental shooting a couple days back that left several of their own injured. Not sure why this group's being praised all across the Internet.
    It's a bit more understandable for me lately, considering peaceful protestors are being taken in by police officers with no insignia, thrown in unmarked vehicles and disappearing into tonight.
    Meanwhile in Kentucky,

cldec1ly1a37.png

Ahh, the NFAC, whose founder espouses serious antisemitic views. These are the same folks responsible for an accidental shooting a couple days back that left several of their own injured. Not sure why this group's being praised all across the Internet.

Are they beeing praised? And @DarthDimi not everybody who says they're fighting racism is in fact fighting a good fight. I would refrain from saying anything like that considering the situation. BLM itself is a far-left extremist group. I konw people will now think I'm far right as that's how it goes in a polarised world. But I don't believe anyone going to the streets as militia do is fighting a good fight. Andif you want those federal militia (what kind of units are those???) to go away, I wouldn't start provoking them in a way I'd know they'd definately stay/ increase in numbers. It's only more fodder for Trump to make his case.
    Meanwhile in Kentucky,

cldec1ly1a37.png

Are they beeing praised? And @DarthDimi not everybody who says they're fighting racism is in fact fighting a good fight. I would refrain from saying anything like that considering the situation. BLM itself is a far-left extremist group. I konw people will now think I'm far right as that's how it goes in a polarised world. But I don't believe anyone going to the streets as militia do is fighting a good fight. Andif you want those federal militia (what kind of units are those???) to go away, I wouldn't start provoking them in a way I'd know they'd definately stay/ increase in numbers. It's only more fodder for Trump to make his case.

Several articles I've seen, yes, and even if it's not praise, it's certainly a clear uncertainty regarding who they are and what they represent, which isn't a good look for any self-respecting outlet. Still, I guess I can be a bit more understanding seeing some protest with firearms when mysterious officers, with no real insignia to their uniforms, are tossing people into unmarked vehicles for questioning.

As for provoking whoever these "officers" are, it's good to remember that Trump had peaceful protestors tear-gassed in Lafayette Square (which it now seems the National Guard is willing to testify in favor of come tomorrow). He doesn't need any sort of provocation to justify his insane aims and objectives.

Now, having said all that, I think we should steer things back on track juuuust a bit. I know we're not supposed to be political at all here (it's as divisive as it gets these days) and the protests are really a separate issue from the coronavirus, sans debating how smart it is to protest while the coronavirus rages on, but I just had to say my piece.
    Meanwhile in Kentucky,

cldec1ly1a37.png

Several articles I've seen, yes, and even if it's not praise, it's certainly a clear uncertainty regarding who they are and what they represent, which isn't a good look for any self-respecting outlet. Still, I guess I can be a bit more understanding seeing some protest with firearms when mysterious officers, with no real insignia to their uniforms, are tossing people into unmarked vehicles for questioning.

As for provoking whoever these "officers" are, it's good to remember that Trump had peaceful protestors tear-gassed in Lafayette Square (which it now seems the National Guard is willing to testify in favor of come tomorrow). He doesn't need any sort of provocation to justify his insane aims and objectives.

Now, having said all that, I think we should steer things back on track juuuust a bit. I know we're not supposed to be political at all here (it's as divisive as it gets these days) and the protests are really a separate issue from the coronavirus, sans debating how smart it is to protest while the coronavirus rages on, but I just had to say my piece.

Well apart from the fact that neither of us made any bold political statement, I agree with you that we should steer it to the point that these people definately aren't keeping a distance and grouping together.. I read now people are hoping that the USA is hitting a flat as in two days he number of new cases hasn't been much above 60 k instead of 70. Next day it might be 80 and all is lost again. These media really don't think at all.
    Meanwhile in Kentucky,

cldec1ly1a37.png

Well apart from the fact that neither of us made any bold political statement, I agree with you that we should steer it to the point that these people definately aren't keeping a distance and grouping together.. I read now people are hoping that the USA is hitting a flat as in two days he number of new cases hasn't been much above 60 k instead of 70. Next day it might be 80 and all is lost again. These media really don't think at all.

Agreed, it's so up and down, back and forth and these times are so wildly dangerous and unprecedented that it's impossible to guess where we'll be a week, a month, even a year from now. I can only hope it gets better sooner rather than later. The vaccine news of late is promising but even with that, who knows what'll pan out when.
    The USA have officially recorded their 150,000th death on July 27th.