Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Yes there is an alternative, albeit one that you and lots of others on here dismiss. That could come into effect at the same time as cinemas that are open now (or re-opening shortly such as in the UK).

Cinemas in the USA are closed. Stop talking about the UK and focus on the problem you refuse to understand. No big-budget film can be released while the US box office is closed.

Skyfall grossed $1,108,561,013 world-wide.
    Spectre grossed $880,674,609 world-wide.

If you remove all currently closed markets, or all countries where Covid-19 outbreaks are surging, Skyfall would have grossed $682,287,589., and Spectre would have grossed $545,201,323.. That is a decrease of 426 million for SF, and a decrease of $335 million for SP.
    I do understand the current situation and how serious it is, thank you. These films however do have be released at some point.

You just proved once again that you do not understand. Big-budget films cannot be released until the pandemic is under control.

To be fair that kind of box office return is still up on the Brosnan era films.

With much bigger budgets. The widest margin would be between TND and SF, with SF's budget being twice as expensive as TND's.

Budget of those times can be a bit different, inflation comes into play as well. It would be interesting to know the budget of other action film's of '97. As for SF, it's the highest grossing film of the series adjusted to inflation crossing TB & GF, a big achievement in terms of revenue imo.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Yes there is an alternative, albeit one that you and lots of others on here dismiss. That could come into effect at the same time as cinemas that are open now (or re-opening shortly such as in the UK).

Cinemas in the USA are closed. Stop talking about the UK and focus on the problem you refuse to understand. No big-budget film can be released while the US box office is closed.

If you remove all currently closed markets, or all countries where Covid-19 outbreaks are surging, Skyfall would have grossed $682,287,589., and Spectre would have grossed $545,201,323.. That is a decrease of 426 million for SF, and a decrease of $335 million for SP.
    I do understand the current situation and how serious it is, thank you. These films however do have be released at some point.

You just proved once again that you do not understand. Big-budget films cannot be released until the pandemic is under control.

With much bigger budgets. The widest margin would be between TND and SF, with SF's budget being twice as expensive as TND's.

Budget of those times can be a bit different, inflation comes into play as well. It would be interesting to know the budget of other action film's of '97. As for SF, it's the highest grossing film of the series adjusted to inflation crossing TB & GF, a big achievement in terms of revenue imo.

SF released in the current pandemic would have have barely beaten CR’s total. Hence why NTTD is in a difficult situation.

I don’t understand what your point about the Brosnan era versus the Craig era and SF’s billion dollar box office run adds to the conversation about releasing films in the middle of of a pandemic.

SF released in the current pandemic would have have barely beaten CR’s total. Hence why NTTD is in a difficult situation.

I don’t understand what your point about the Brosnan era versus the Craig era and SF’s billion dollar box office run adds to the conversation about releasing films in the middle of of a pandemic.

It was just a response to your comment on SF & TND budget comparison.

To be honest if NTTD opened now I think it would actually struggle to break even. If it were to make the money suggested above that might be the best they can hope for, it would still be a profit in the region of $250m. Problem now is some big films do need to release before long, if they all wait until 2021/22 there won't be any cinemas to show them in anyway.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Cinemas in Tokyo at risk of closing down again, amidst a spike in Covid-19 cases.

https://variety.com/2020/film/asia/tokyo-coronavirus-alert-theater-cluster-1234706910/

In the past week, all cinemas in California and Hong Kong were ordered to close down, and now it seems Tokyo is about to make the same decision too.
    edited July 2020 Posts: 2,541

To be honest if NTTD opened now I think it would actually struggle to break even. If it were to make the money suggested above that might be the best they can hope for, it would still be a profit in the region of $250m. Problem now is some big films do need to release before long, if they all wait until 2021/22 there won't be any cinemas to show them in anyway.

I am not saying that they should release the film now, it was merely a response about budget comparison. I am quite aware that it would be really stupid to release it at the moment.

That being said, i really have no idea how theaters are going to survive for an year without earning a single penny.
    WB wanted to release Tenet internationally before a later domestic rollout, but Nolan refused because he wanted to support North American theaters.

According to two insiders, with foreign ticket sales expected to account for two-thirds of Tenet’s overall gross, Nolan and Warner executives discussed releasing the film internationally ahead of the North American rollout, a relatively risky strategy in an era of rampant overseas movie piracy, when most major motion pictures arrive in theaters worldwide on the same date. But according to these sources, the filmmaker wanted to help support American theaters in their time of need by sticking to the original plan.

Although recent media accounts have portrayed the filmmaker and studio at loggerheads over that corridor — with Warner reportedly in favor of punting the film down the calendar, and the director digging in to get Tenet in front of audiences as soon as possible — sources close to Nolan say he and Warner Bros. are “in concert” about distributing it in as safe and timely a manner as possible.

https://www.vulture.com/2020/07/is-tenet-coming-out-this-summer.html

----

China's cinemas to reopen July 20th.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/chinas-cinemas-reopen-july-20-1303401

This article fails to note that China reopened their cinemas two times since the nationwide closure in January. Both times cinemas were ordered to close down again within a week due to spikes in Covid-19 cases.
    Disney analyst sees cinemas "largely closed" until Mid-2021.

After initially expecting social distancing measures would be "significantly lessened" by late 2020, Cowen's Doug Creutz has "now extended that timeline," which will affect the company's film and theme parks units.

"We had previously assumed that the spread of COVID-19 would be relatively halted, with social distancing requirements significantly lessened by late 2020," Creutz wrote. "We have now extended that timeline out to at least mid-2021; the situation remains very fluid, and we do not rule out the possibility that the impact could last even longer."

Creutz said he expects "no film releases in fiscal year 2020," which for Disney ends in September, and "a modest slate" in fiscal 2021. "We now expect domestic theaters to be largely closed until mid-2021, in part because we don't think studios will be interested in releasing their largest movies into a capacity-constrained footprint."

As far as Disney's theme parks unit goes, Creutz expects the "recovery trajectory to be pushed out at least one year." While Walt Disney World reopened "at limited capacity last weekend," he said he believes "that at best, heavy capacity constraints will prevail until at least mid-2021, and ... there is a meaningful probability that the park could be forced to close again."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-analyst-downgrade-longer-pandemic-impact-cinemas-closed-1303411
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I’ve just been to see Interstellar in IMAX (a phenomenal experience) and it had the Tenet prologue before it.

Yep, still scratching my head on that one.
    Rumour (google translated from French): "A rumor is circulating more and more insistently that Tenet will be released internationally on August 12 but no longer in the US. Christopher Nolan would be opposed, but Warner would insist. Nothing has been settled yet."

No NTTD delay in Europe and other safe areas of the world suddenly seems much more likely.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2020 Posts: 40,449
    I thought those international rumors were already dispelled but perhaps not. If it is the case, best of luck since China apparently feels the film's runtime is "too long," and we all know how much Hollywood loves to cater to China's censorship and demands because $$$:

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/07/tenet-china-says-runtime-too-long-1234574752/
    Barcelona’s movie theaters re-close amid COVID-19 second wave.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/barcelona-movie-theaters-re-close-covid19-1234710456/
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Though necessary given the mass uncertainty over when cinemas across the globe can safely reopen, the decision further complicates Hollywood’s already bumpy plan to revive moviegoing. “Tenet” was originally scheduled to debut on July 17 but was pushed back twice until Aug. 12. It’s unclear when it will now welcome audiences, but plans to share a new release date “imminently.”

“We will share a new 2020 release date imminently for Tenet, Christopher Nolan’s wholly original and mind-blowing feature,” said Warner Bros. chairman Toby Emmerich in a statement. “We are not treating Tenet like a traditional global day-and-date release, and our upcoming marketing and distribution plans will reflect that.

:((
    the world is delayed indefinitly
    The question is who is going to be the first to jump in and take the risk. I can't at this point see any of the big studios putting their movies out knowing that there is every chance that cinemas could be shut down a week after their tentpole movie has opened.
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    The question is who is going to be the first to jump in and take the risk. I can't at this point see any of the big studios putting their movies out knowing that there is every chance that cinemas could be shut down a week after their tentpole movie has opened.

Still Tenet if their statements are to go by
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    antovolk wrote: »
    cooperman2 wrote: »

Still Tenet if their statements are to go by

Pretty much. Whenever there's a solid plan for re-opening theaters without cities ordering shut-downs, that's when it will happen.
    They aren't treating it traditionally = anything can happen. Might get to the point that they're so hungry to release it that they do some limited theatrical run to coincide with a streaming release. In these unprecedented times, I suppose anything can happen.
    I don't see cinemas being open come September, either, so I'm guessing this "delay the film by one month, once a month" routine will continue.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I don't see cinemas being open come September, either, so I'm guessing this "delay the film by one month, once a month" routine will continue.

Especially since WB are apparently unwilling to release the film internationally without a domestic release within a 2 weeks gap. So I imagine if this Labour Day weekend release is postponed by 3 weeks, that August 26 release for overseas will also be delayed by 3 weeks.
    UK cinema chains expected to delay re-openings if ‘Tenet’ shifts again.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/uk-exhibitors-expected-delay-reopenings-tenet-shifts-again-1202990751/
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    'TENET' TOSSES PLAYBOOK: STAGGERED ROLLOUT MAY BE NEW BOX OFFICE "NORMAL"

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tenet-tosses-playbook-staggered-rollout-may-be-new-box-office-normal-1303932?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR3dlz4V7_cg8jHcrCK6gAfXXdmlDnFYWWeobyBd3l-9ICE95gvlCXfQUqA

Studio insiders said the espionage epic will go out first overseas, where cinemas have reopened in many European and Asian countries, and have begun to reopen in China.
    Warners isn't yet giving exact dates, but sources elsewhere say Tenet hopes to begin opening in international markets in late August before arriving in the U.S. in the first part of September, even if only in select cities. They stress the situation is fluid, however.

While we in the U.S. think we are the center of the world, we are not. We can’t wait for everything to be perfect,” says one Hollywood studio executive. Another executive adds, “There is a real opportunity here to think outside the box and not be constrained by legacy.”
    Unhinged is no longer releasing in the USA on July 31st.
  • MeetBondMeetBond Mar-a-lago
    I am boiling with anger about the delay of NTTD, but, with this new movie from Chris Nolan, TENET, if this is released this quarter it changes the whole landscape. This movie, if successful, will become the new standard for all Bond films before and after. PM me if you want to know why.
    Bill & Ted 3' to hit VOD and select cinemas simultaneously amid ongoing pandemic

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/bill-ted-face-music-hit-vod-cinemas-simultaneously-1304065
    They've already ruled it out by Tenet hitting HBO Max sooner rather than later would be a huge acquisition for them.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    People are angry about waiting to release a film? I mean I understand being frustrated, but not angry. A pandemic is something we are forced to deal with. I am all for waiting until it is clearly safe - after vaccine would be best.

I can wait till next summer, without complaining or being hugely upset, for Bond and Tenet. Those are two films I definitely want to experience on the big screen. No viewing on demand for me; I want the big screen experience and I'd rather wait for it then risk anybody getting sick.