Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• You are the living example of someone who refuses to understand the current situation.

I do understand the current situation and how serious it is, thank you. These films however do have be released at some point.
    There are no alternatives.

Yes there is an alternative, albeit one that you and lots of others on here dismiss. That could come into effect at the same time as cinemas that are open now (or re-opening shortly such as in the UK).
  • If the film has to sit on a shelf until 2022, then so be it.

Casual audiences' interest in the film will have dried up long before then. They'll be probably be more interested in discussing who the next Bond actor could be rather than this film actually coming out.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Yes there is an alternative, albeit one that you and lots of others on here dismiss. That could come into effect at the same time as cinemas that are open now (or re-opening shortly such as in the UK).

Cinemas in the USA are closed. Stop talking about the UK and focus on the problem you refuse to understand. No big-budget film can be released while the US box office is closed.

Skyfall grossed $1,108,561,013 world-wide.
    Spectre grossed $880,674,609 world-wide.

If you remove all currently closed markets, or all countries where Covid-19 outbreaks are surging, Skyfall would have grossed $682,287,589., and Spectre would have grossed $545,201,323.. That is a decrease of 426 million for SF, and a decrease of $335 million for SP.
    I do understand the current situation and how serious it is, thank you. These films however do have be released at some point.

You just proved once again that you do not understand. Big-budget films cannot be released until the pandemic is under control.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited July 2020 Posts: 8,034
    Still quite curious about the viability of an international roll-out followed by a VOD/Streaming release in the States three weeks later.

All that depends on how every other country responds to the worsening situation in the States. Here, where I am, the government has come under fire for allowing US tourists in. A flight from Texas landed with holiday-makers the day after new cases there hit 10,000.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    If the film has to sit on a shelf until 2022, then so be it.

Casual audiences' interest in the film will have dried up long before then. They'll be probably be more interested in discussing who the next Bond actor could be rather than this film actually coming out.

Billie Eillish will probably be old news by the time the movie comes out, and the casting of Rami Malek makes less sense because the glow of his oscar win has all but worn off.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    If the film has to sit on a shelf until 2022, then so be it.

Billie Eillish will probably be old news by the time the movie comes out, and the casting of Rami Malek makes less sense because the glow of his oscar win has all but worn off.

I did not know that actors lost their talent* within 2 years of winning an Oscar.

* Surely that is why he won an Oscar, and was cast in a James Bond film? His talent?
  • You just proved once again that you do not understand. Big-budget films cannot be released until the pandemic is under control.

Yes they can be. VOD for countries heavily affected (such as the USA) and cinemas otherwise.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,869
    You just proved once again that you do not understand. Big-budget films cannot be released until the pandemic is under control.
    Yes they can be. VOD for countries heavily affected (such as the USA) and cinemas otherwise.
    Which would lose them millions.

Everyone has to buy a ticket for a movie, not everyone has to pay for a VOD film. Not to mention piracy. The film would probably be available on torrents and websites the same day of release.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Denbigh wrote: »

He doesn’t seem to understand how this things work.

NTTD is a big budget film. VOD is not a viable option unless you want EON to throw money out the window. Unless that is your solution? To avoid NTTD flopping due to not enough theaters open, just dump it on VOD where it will just flop anyway?
    matt_u wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »

He doesn’t seem to understand how this things work.

Or he doesn't want to admit that the current pandemic prevents any possible release options. He probably can't compute that there are literally no way or scenario that NTTD can be released due to a pandemic that is out of our control.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    If EON are gonna lose money by releasing the movie this year, what does holding it back until 2022 do to help matters? By then the movie will be yesterdays news. The title song will be 3 years old! Why does it suddenly start becoming profitable the older and more dated the film becomes. For me its the opposite that is true, if EON want any hope of keeping momentum around this movie alive, they have to release in the next say 6 months. Pushing back beyond early 2021 would be a disaster. When a sizable number of major markets are or soon will be open for business its time to get the movie out there so people can see it and reward the fans for their support.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Well for a start it allows the market to readjust to the changes, and gives people time to have their confidence grown. Also the film is unseen, the title song is available forever and will just get more attention when the film is released. The important thing is for them to is make these decisions at the appropriate time so that the marketing isn't constantly restarting. Apart from that, 2021 or 2022, the film can reinvigorate interest because no-ones seen it, and as fans, I'm sure we'll all be there.
    If EON are gonna lose money by releasing the movie this year, what does holding it back until 2022 do to help matters? By then the movie will be yesterdays news. The title song will be 3 years old! Why does it suddenly start becoming profitable the older and more dated the film becomes. For me its the opposite that is true, if EON want any hope of keeping momentum around this movie alive, they have to release in the next say 6 months. Pushing back beyond early 2021 would be a disaster. When a sizable number of major markets are or soon will be open for business its time to get the movie out there so people can see it and reward the fans for their support.

Your post makes no sense whatsoever.

Let's try to analyze that word salad of yours:
    If EON are gonna lose money by releasing the movie this year, what does holding it back until 2022 do to help matters?

Newsflash: EON will have to delay the film if the US box office remains closed due to the pandemic.
    if EON want any hope of keeping momentum around this movie alive, they have to release in the next say 6 months. Pushing back beyond early 2021 would be a disaster.

Newsflash: EON can't release the film as long as the US box office is closed. Covid-19 does care that there is a new James Bond film waiting to come out. Until the pandemic is under control, NTTD cannot be released.
    When a sizable number of major markets are or soon will be open for business.

Newsflash: The pandemic is still surging in the USA, the biggest box office market on the planet.

Newsflash: The pandemic is also surging in Brazil, India, Peru, Chile, Mexico, South Africa, Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, Colombia, Argentina, Iraq, Indonesia, the Philippines, Panama and Israel. China cinemas are also closed All those countries combined (+ the USA & China) represent over 40% of the total gross of SP and SF. NTTD cannot be release with so many markets unavailable.
  • Or he doesn't want to admit that the current pandemic prevents any possible release options. He probably can't compute that there are literally no way or scenario that NTTD can be released due to a pandemic that is out of our control.

Yes there is. Again, it's called VOD. I think it be at least somewhat popular given that it's a Bond film - the reason why we're all here! At least I'm trying to give some kind of optimistic solution rather than just giving up on all hope and justifying that as being 'realistic'.
  • If EON are gonna lose money by releasing the movie this year, what does holding it back until 2022 do to help matters? By then the movie will be yesterdays news. The title song will be 3 years old! Why does it suddenly start becoming profitable the older and more dated the film becomes. For me its the opposite that is true, if EON want any hope of keeping momentum around this movie alive, they have to release in the next say 6 months. Pushing back beyond early 2021 would be a disaster. When a sizable number of major markets are or soon will be open for business its time to get the movie out there so people can see it and reward the fans for their support.
    Thank you!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Again, money. Simple as that. Do you want EON to be smart or do you just want them to risk everything and make the film a financial failure?
    Or he doesn't want to admit that the current pandemic prevents any possible release options. He probably can't compute that there are literally no way or scenario that NTTD can be released due to a pandemic that is out of our control.

Yes there is. Again, it's called VOD. I think it be at least somewhat popular given that it's a Bond film - the reason why we're all here! At least I'm trying to give some kind of optimistic solution rather than just giving up on all hope and justifying that as being 'realistic'.

It is becoming very clear that @The_Return, @Mendes4Lyfe and @RogerJonMoorePertwee are either Covid-19 deniers or trolls (or both), as they keep derailing every discussion into a circle, no matter how many times other members explain that their arguments and solutions are totally pointless and/or false. It is insane that we have explained to both of you how the USA is the biggest box office market on the planet yet you keep arguing otherwise.

I wish the moderators ( @Birdleson, @Creasy47 or @DarthDimi) could do something to stop certain members from spreading false information around whenever they can, and derailing topics with their arguments that have been disproved by several members time and time again.

There is literally an entire page of discussion where @RogerJonMoorePertwee simply goes on and on about how unfair it is that the US is the biggest box office market on the planet. No matter how many times he got told that this is the reality we live in, he keeps spamming that it shouldn't be the case.

As for the quote above: VOD is not a viable option for a $200+ million budget film. And it quite unbelievable that you keep calling actual facts and numbers about the pandemic 'pessimistic'. Numbers do not lie: the pandemic is getting worse in the USA with each passing day.
  • It is becoming very clear that @The_Return, @Mendes4Lyfe and @RogerJonMoorePertwee are either Covid-19 deniers or trolls (or both), as they keep derailing every discussion into a circle, no matter how many times other members explain that their arguments and solutions are totally pointless and/or false. It is insane that we have explained to both of you how the USA is the biggest box office market on the planet yet you keep arguing otherwise.

I am neither a denier or a troll - I know how serious the virus situation is, you don't need to remind me. At the moment I'm just expressing my opinion and trying to give a relatively optimistic suggestion for how the film could be released sooner than later (if NTTD doesn't come out in November in cinemas, that is). I object to being talked down to on here for suggesting a way that we could sooner than later see the next film installment of the franchise that this whole website is built around.
    Does anyone have any idea how long a business like MGM can keep itself afloat without any income?

It’s easy to throw around statements like “they should delay until November 2021” or “delay until 2022” but where I work, if we had no income for that sort of timescale then we’d be finished. Our cash reserves simply don’t stretch that far.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited July 2020 Posts: 8,034
    Edit: sorry, for a second I thought I was in the box office thread!

I still am wondering if VOD/Streaming would be something worth looking at solely for the US market once other territories have opened back up again. Say a late November release if it's a possibility, with a Christmas VOD/online date for the US?

What figures do we think EON would be hopeful for at this stage, returns wise? I think the idea of a billion dollar film will be very 2019 for a few years, regardless of what happens.

Say if it earned $350million from international territories - of which they take a lesser percentage, and something like $150million from VOD/streaming where they take home a higher percentage, would that be enough to cover their expenses? Would any of the product placement deals need to be revised in the case where the film goes to VOD in the States instead of being shown theatrically?
    @DaltonCraig007 You are still not getting is that studios are already changing how they are thinking about theatrical releases because of the pandemic. The question is not whether VOD is a viable option, the question is: is VOD a better option than the alternative? And I am sure we all agree that yes, in certain cases it is. For example if EON had to choose between delaying NTTD to let's say 2025 or VOD, of course they would choose VOD.
    The_Return wrote: »
    @DaltonCraig007 You are still not getting is that studios are already changing how they are thinking about theatrical releases because of the pandemic. The question is not whether VOD is a viable option, the question is: is VOD a better option than the alternative? And I am sure we all agree that yes, in certain cases it is. For example if EON had to choose between delaying NTTD to let's say 2025 or VOD, of course they would choose VOD.

Again, your argument is ridiculous. If the pandemic is still so bad that no movies have been released in theaters by 2025, that would mean the global economy would have tanked so hard that there would literally be no-one left to pay 1 dollar to watch NTTD on VOD, save for the remaining millionaires/billionaires who still have their fortune. So VOD would still not be viable due to the global economy being non-existent. And no one would care about a new James Bond film if we were to get to that point. Food and shelter would become the only two priorities for the vast majority of the population.
    If the film has to sit on a shelf until 2022, then so be it. There are no alternatives.
    Had I seen those two sentences sooner, I would not have bothered arguing with you.
    I still am wondering if VOD/Streaming would be something worth looking at solely for the US market once other territories have opened back up again. Say a late November release if it's a possibility, with a Christmas VOD/online date for the US?
    Very good and sensible questions. There is no doubt that studios will have to think creatively in this situation.
    Bravo!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Some fans are just entitled.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    AMC Theaters in the US have a plan similar to Regal, starting a day earlier.

These schedules and related information were just posted in the last couple days.

amc_logo_1200x856.png
    Most theatres will reopen 7/30 with your health & safety in mind.
    Learn more about our new AMC Safe & Clean™ policies and procedures.

https://www.amctheatres.com/amc-safe-and-clean

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm sure it's already been noted somewhere here but the runtime is one second short of 2 hours, 30 minutes long.

Cinemas in the USA are closed. Stop talking about the UK and focus on the problem you refuse to understand. No big-budget film can be released while the US box office is closed.

If you remove all currently closed markets, or all countries where Covid-19 outbreaks are surging, Skyfall would have grossed $682,287,589., and Spectre would have grossed $545,201,323.. That is a decrease of 426 million for SF, and a decrease of $335 million for SP.

To be fair that kind of box office return is still up on the Brosnan era films.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited July 2020 Posts: 7,526

Surely the Craig budgets are bigger though?
    Some fans are just entitled.

Yes, they expect that they're owed a film, which is plainly ridiculous.
    I'll echo what @DaltonCraig007 has been saying; as long as there aren't theatres in the US, there won't be a No Time To Die.
    I suppose you can't expect much more from a Bond forum, but the world has more important things to worry about, even if it doesn't seem that way when you look out your front door. People are dying.

I've been off leave of these forums for awhile due to attitudes like this, but I'll probably return once things are under control a bit more.

With much bigger budgets. The widest margin would be between TND and SF, with SF's budget being twice as expensive as TND's.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

With much bigger budgets. The widest margin would be between TND and SF, with SF's budget being twice as expensive as TND's.

And TND had a stealth boat! ;)