Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Setting aside previous differences for a second; I hope you enjoy it, @RogerJonMoorePertwee - I know you've been looking forward to going back to a cinema again.
  • Thank you CraigMooreOHMSS. Yes, I hope so too, I've needed this for a long while now.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Monster Hunter is the latest movie to abandon 2020: it has been delayed from September to April 2021.

And the USA recorded over 63,000 infections yesterday.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    US cinema chains unlikely to re-open until September ''at the earliest''.

"The near-term outlook for exhibition related stocks remains extremely clouded given the uncertainty about when theaters will be able to re-open with new Hollywood content," he wrote. "We place a low likelihood of Tenet opening on Aug. 12 given a rising number of COVID-19 cases in key areas, such as California, Texas and Florida, along with the slowed re-opening of the New York City economy. In our view, it would be surprising to see theaters able to re-open nationwide before September, at the earliest."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/analyst-cuts-box-office-estimate-no-cinemas-before-september-1302969
    US cinema chains unlikely to re-open until September ''at the earliest''.

"The near-term outlook for exhibition related stocks remains extremely clouded given the uncertainty about when theaters will be able to re-open with new Hollywood content," he wrote. "We place a low likelihood of Tenet opening on Aug. 12 given a rising number of COVID-19 cases in key areas, such as California, Texas and Florida, along with the slowed re-opening of the New York City economy. In our view, it would be surprising to see theaters able to re-open nationwide before September, at the earliest."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/analyst-cuts-box-office-estimate-no-cinemas-before-september-1302969

sigh will this ever end!
    Deadline is now also reporting that Tenet is unlikely to open in August.

Box office in 2020 is expected to decline by nearly 70% from the $11.4 billion taken in during 2019. That would be worse than the 55% to 60% plunge previously forecasted.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/tenet-release-unlikely-in-august-2020-movie-box-office-to-drop-70-percent-analyst-predicts-1202983984/amp/
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't see the film releasing until 2021 at this point, much like everything else. We're nearly halfway to August and things are getting much, much worse out there.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    We shall see.
    All cinemas in California to close with immediate effect. No end date given.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/california-gavin-newsom-closes-restaurants-indoor-operations-in-state-1202984427/
    All cinemas in California to close with immediate effect. No end date given.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/california-gavin-newsom-closes-restaurants-indoor-operations-in-state-1202984427/

If Hollywoodland is closing cinemas then we ain't getting any films any time soon.
    California, no, scratch that... America deserves a lockdown. I say that as an American, because I know my fellow countryfolk are too god damned unreliable to do something as simple as perform social distancing. So force needs to be applied.
    California, no, scratch that... America deserves a lockdown. I say that as an American, because I know my fellow countryfolk are too god damned unreliable to do something as simple as perform social distancing. So force needs to be applied.

+1.
    A complete shutdown in L.A is on the brink of being issued as hospitals are near full capacity, and new infections are surging.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/los-angeles-near-red-theat-level-coronavirus-hospitalizations-la-county-stats-1202984844/
  • California, no, scratch that... America deserves a lockdown. I say that as an American, because I know my fellow countryfolk are too god damned unreliable to do something as simple as perform social distancing. So force needs to be applied.

In which case, can the rest of us have these films then please?

In which case, can the rest of us have these films then please?

Normal world-wide gross minus the USA, minus most of Central & South America, minus several Asian countries (including China, the main Asian market), it means we sadly won't be able to have these blockbusters like Tenet and NTTD in Europe*.

* Not forgetting social distancing measures that will also limit the box office in countries where movies can open.
    The bean counters would never allow it. If we get VOD, I guarantee they'll make us pay through the nose. "Wanna watch NTTD? $50."
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    5 dollars, but you only get to watch the movie once. Once you hit play, the movie plays, you can pause but thats it.

This means the fans will probably pay for multiple viewings and new people will pay just for what they want. Everyone is happy.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Or it will just get pirated very easily.
    5 dollars, but you only get to watch the movie once. Once you hit play, the movie plays, you can pause but thats it.

This means the fans will probably pay for multiple viewings and new people will pay just for what they want. Everyone is happy.

NTTD would be a huge flop if this business model happens. It would even struggle to earn back its budget. Same with Tenet. Both films would gross less than $400 million world-wide, probably even lower than $300 million.

5 dollars to get as many of your friends for a watch-a-long, or 5 dollars for an entire family (kids, parents, grandparents) would limit the box office by astronomical proportions. If we want this film to be the first major financial disaster of the Bond franchise, that is how you'd do it.
    Sounds a lot better than 50 dollars for a rental to me.
    There used to be a time when buying a VHS copy of a film cost $100. This was because VHS tapes were typically used for recording content as opposed to buying content. That was how much Hollywood thought it was worth paying for a film. It wasn't until a studio dropped to a more reasonable price that people actually bothered buying them at all, and because so many did that forced the studios to bring the prices down in order to make more of a profit than they could have with their original price.

TL;DR, Hollywood DESPISES the fact that people can watch films at home. That's why they're pushing for digital content so that they essentially still own the film you pay for, because you only "buy" the license to watch it rather than own it like you did with physical media.

The only guarantee to NTTD or any big film going on VOD is if the studios felt safe and assured that they would actually make a worthy profit out of that. So far, they've only been willing to do that for the lower budgeted films.
    edited July 2020 Posts: 8,090

TL;DR, Hollywood DESPISES the fact that people can watch films at home. That's why they're pushing for digital content so that they essentially still own the film you pay for, because you only "buy" the license to watch it rather than own it like you did with physical media.

When you buy a physical copy, you're still only buying the license.

I don't know how NTTD being one of the biggest flops in history can 'sound good'.

I also can't understand how people still don't realize that releasing a big-budget film during the current pandemic is impossible, whether on VOD (major risk of financial disaster) or in theaters (major markets closed).
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I don't know how NTTD being one of the biggest flops in history can 'sound good'.
    To some people it does sound good because it means they can say they were right, and eventually begin another pointless conversation about selling the rights, and how EON and Barbara ruined everything...
    Denbigh wrote: »
    To some people it does sound good because it means they can say they were right, and eventually begin another pointless conversation about selling the rights, and how EON and Barbara ruined everything...

Time to get my bingo card then!
    edited July 2020 Posts: 8,025

When you buy a physical copy, you're still only buying the license.

You missed the point. The biggest difference is that the studio can't just come to your house and take all your physical media. But with streaming, they could easily just take it away.

Denbigh wrote: »

Oh, that's most obvious. I already see the talking points.

"Haha, it flopped! Sure, EON will say it's because of COVID-19 but we all know it's just an excuse made to cover up how poorly it did!"
  • I also can't understand how people still don't realize that releasing a big-budget film during the current pandemic is impossible, whether on VOD (major risk of financial disaster) or in theaters (major markets closed).
    We're not movie executives, they'll find a way to do it. All these completed films have to come out sooner or later, they can't just sit on a shelf for up to 5 or 10 years and wait for this situation to be resolved.
    We're not movie executives, they'll find a way to do it. All these completed films have to come out sooner or later, they can't just sit on a shelf for up to 5 or 10 years and wait for this situation to be resolved.

Cinemas. Are. Closed.

Do you understand those 3 words?

Coronavirus does not give a damn about you, or James Bond, or EON, or that there is a Bond film that is sitting on a shelf.

Until the pandemic is under control, NTTD cannot and will not be released. Any major blockbuster, for that matter, is facing the same problem.

This is precisely what I meant by my previous message. You are the living example of someone who refuses to understand the current situation. The pandemic will not magically go away because there is a new James Bond movie waiting to be released. Until the USA gets their outbreak under control, there's nothing you, me or EON can do about it. If the film has to sit on a shelf until 2022, then so be it. There are no alternatives.
    Unsure if @antovolk can substantiate this, but cinemas in general are looking at international roll-outs around Thanksgiving...

In respect to the Warner Bros slate (who have been the most aggressive on theatres), this means the dominoes fall. This means that Tenet moves to either October or November. Which in turns pushes Wonder Woman to December. Then Dune goes into 2021.

I can imagine Disney sitting firm with November for Black Widow and Soul. But think MGM will get cold feet with NTTD.

Meanwhile, Tenet tickets are ons ale in Australia!!! Doesn't meant the film won't get pulled, but perhaps Warner are going to test the waters with an international release and then hold back on domestic until October/November, which would be maaaaaad!!!!