Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    People are angry about waiting to release a film? I mean I understand being frustrated, but not angry. A pandemic is something we are forced to deal with. I am all for waiting until it is clearly safe - after vaccine would be best.

I can wait till next summer, without complaining or being hugely upset, for Bond and Tenet. Those are two films I definitely want to experience on the big screen. No viewing on demand for me; I want the big screen experience and I'd rather wait for it then risk anybody getting sick.

Big +1!
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    People are angry about waiting to release a film? I mean I understand being frustrated, but not angry. A pandemic is something we are forced to deal with. I am all for waiting until it is clearly safe - after vaccine would be best.

I can wait till next summer, without complaining or being hugely upset, for Bond and Tenet. Those are two films I definitely want to experience on the big screen. No viewing on demand for me; I want the big screen experience and I'd rather wait for it then risk anybody getting sick.

I couldn't agree more.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Cinemas in the Chinese city of Dalian have shut down only days after reopening due to a Covid-19 cluster.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/dalian-china-coronavirus-cinemas-closed-again-1234715423/

Completely agree, although I'm concerned about how many cinemas may not survive this pandemic.
  • General film news (unless mentioned elsewhere): Mulan, the next Star Wars trilogy, the Avatar sequels and Spider-Man 3 (or whatever it will be called in the end) have all been delayed.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    General film news (unless mentioned elsewhere): Mulan, the next Star Wars trilogy, the Avatar sequels and Spider-Man 3 (or whatever it will be called in the end) have all been delayed.

Top Gun 2 and A Quiet Place 2 have also abandoned their 2020 release, and have been delayed by 6+ months to July 2021 and April 2021 respectively.

Ridley Scott's The Last Duel has been delayed by 1 year to October 2021. The horror film Antlers has been delayed to February 2021. Wes Anderson's The French Dispatch has been delayed indefinitely.
    August 26 international rollout for Tenet close to being locked in

https://variety.com/2020/film/global/tenet-release-coronavirus-europe-christopher-nolan-1234715604/
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2020 Posts: 40,480
    Will be interesting to see how this goes. If it releases in several other countries before the U.S., I can only imagine spoilers will be rampant and piracy will be in full effect.
    antovolk wrote: »
    August 26 international rollout for Tenet close to being locked in

https://variety.com/2020/film/global/tenet-release-coronavirus-europe-christopher-nolan-1234715604/

“Locked in” ;)
    Yeah, if the U.S. has to be involved in any sort of rolling out of the release of the film, I just don't see it coming in the next few months given the state of things lately. I'd love to be wrong, though, this is one of the only films of the year that's been a must see for me.
    This week, the situation in Spain has started to degrade quickly. Now, France has recorded its first day above 1,000 new cases since May. Germany is also nearing 1,000 daily cases for the first time since May. Japan is still recording high number of daily cases. Austalia is currently recording both its highest daily cases and daily deaths increases. The situation is still dramatically degrading in India, the USA, Brazil, South Africa, Mexico. Cases are surging in countries in every region of the world.

The real question should be asked: Now what for big budget films? The talks about a staggered release for Tenet is getting closer and closer to be irrelevant, as it is no longer a distant possibility that foreign markets could close down again. And the US box office is still in no capacity to reopen for the foreseeable future.

What can films like Tenet and NTTD do, now that it is starting to become clear that any release strategy (domestic only, foreign only, or staggered) is unlikely to be possible?
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,690

Here goes @RogerJonMoorePertwee the troll again, spamming every thread because he refuses to understand the global situation.

Posting an outdated 4-days old article is totally irrelevant to this thread's discussion. We are already about to go to the next step of the pandemic situation:

1. Releasing at the domestic box office only is impossible if all theaters are closed.
    2. Releasing internationally only is impossible if most foreign markets are closed.
    3. Doing a staggered release strategy is impossible if both the US box office and most foreign markets are closed.

• Posting an outdated 4-days old article is totally irrelevant to this thread's discussion. We are already about to go to the next step of the pandemic situation:

1. Releasing at the domestic box office only is impossible if all theaters are closed.
    2. Releasing internationally only is impossible if most foreign markets are closed.
    3. Doing a staggered release strategy is impossible if both the US box office and most foreign markets are closed.
    Where on earth did I suggest releasing these films in America only? I don't know where you've got that information from.
    Out of all the options currently available, this is now the most likely one. Apart from give up and don't do anything.
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Where on earth did I suggest releasing these films in America only?

Where did I suggest you did? Are you imagining things?

I listed the 3 possible release strategies: US only, foreign only, or staggered.
    Out of all the options currently available, this is now the most likely one.

Being the most likely options available does not mean it is likely to happen. 5% chance of happening is bigger than 0% chance of happening, but it still means the 5% option is very unlikely. This is where we are at now. An option that looked possible a few days ago is already becoming a pipe dream.
  • Where did I suggest you did? Are you imagining things?

I listed the 3 possible release strategies: US only, foreign only, or staggered.
    Sorry, I misread that part of your message.
  • 1. Releasing at the domestic box office only is impossible if all theaters are closed.
    If worst comes to the worst, then all of these completed, delayed films will just have to be released on VOD and have done with it. At least then:

1. Film companies will receive some income for these films, even if it's not enough to make a profit.
    2. At least some people will be able to actually see these films albeit at home.

Paramount is set to delay G.I Joe: Solid Snake to 2021.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hasbro-posts-quarterly-loss-as-pandemic-hits-eone-1304504

Paramount is about to become the first major studio to completely abandon 2020 releases. Clifford the Big Red Dog and Coming 2 America are the final 2 Paramount films still slated to release this year.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited July 2020 Posts: 4,343
    WOW!

Tenet gets new release date and will debut internationally before US launch

https://www.google.it/amp/s/www.radiotimes.com/news/film/2020-07-27/tenet-international-release/amp/

70 international territories will get to see Tenet from next month, including the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea and Russia. (There are no announced plans as yet to release the film in China, the world’s second-biggest movie market.)

The film will then open in select cities in North America from 2nd September.
    Here’s hoping that it pans out, and NTTD gets a similar treatment.
    Bring on the piracy.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    A good way forward. Including a phased release within the US it looks like, Labor Day weekend makes sense.

Standing by.

Unhinged to release August 21st in the US.
  • matt_u wrote: »
    WOW!

Tenet gets new release date and will debut internationally before US launch

https://www.google.it/amp/s/www.radiotimes.com/news/film/2020-07-27/tenet-international-release/amp/

70 international territories will get to see Tenet from next month, including the United Kingdom, Australia,
    Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea and Russia. (There are no announced plans as yet to release the film in China, the world’s second-biggest movie market.)

The film will then open in select cities in North America from 2nd September.

Great to hear about Canada! The theatres have been open for about a month now where I live. Most showings are empty though, and playing Jurassic Park or Empire Strikes Back as well as a few movies released earlier this year.
    Regal Cinemas in the US resumed advertising a release date for TENET: Thursday 3 September 2020.

logo.svg
    https://www.regmovies.com/movies/tenet/ho00010226#/
    Release date: 03 September 2020
    Running time: 150 minutes
    Tenet - Action Epic. An action epic evolving from the world of international espionage. Buy Tenet movie tickets and get showtimes at Regal theatres, on the Regal mobile app or online. Discover movie trailers and view upcoming movies at www.regmovies.com. Stop by a Regal theater near you today.
    Original title: Tenet
    Movie genre: Action, Drama
    Cast: Kenneth Branagh, Michael Caine, Robert Pattinson, Elizabeth Debicki, John David Washington, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Clémence Poésy, Dimple Kapadia
    Director: Christopher Nolan
    Production: 2020
    Age restrictions: PG13

20200729-130221654.jpg
    john-washington-tenet-poster_71916_2211x3277.jpg

source.gif
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have a good feeling about this.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 13,034
    I'm feeling it.

AMC in the US also started advertising the opening date of Thursday 3 September.

photo.jpg
    f775c874507f0a3376e4b5de21be39281e50af94.png
    Time Runs Out
    John David Washington is the new Protagonist in Christopher Nolan’s original sci-fi action spectacle “Tenet.” Armed with only one word—Tenet—and fighting for the survival of the entire world, the Protagonist journeys through a twilight world of international espionage on a mission that will unfold in something beyond real time. Not time travel. Inversion. The international cast of “Tenet” also includes Robert Pattinson, Elizabeth Debicki, Dimple Kapadia, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Clémence Poésy, with Michael Caine and Kenneth Branagh. Nolan wrote and directed the film, utilizing a mixture of IMAX® and 70mm film to bring the story to the screen. “Tenet” is produced by Emma Thomas and Nolan. Thomas Hayslip served as executive producer. Nolan’s behind-the-scenes creative team included director of photography Hoyte van Hoytema, production designer Nathan Crowley, editor Jennifer Lame, costume designer Jeffrey Kurland, visual effects supervisor Andrew Jackson, and special effects supervisor Scott Fisher. The score is composed by Ludwig Göransson. “Tenet” was filmed on location across seven countries. Warner Bros. Pictures presents a Syncopy Production, a Film by Christopher Nolan, “Tenet.” Warner Bros. Pictures is distributing “Tenet” worldwide and has slated the film for an September 3rd, 2020 release.
    PG13
    Sep 3, 2020
    Action

https://www.amctheatres.com/movies/tenet-46024/videos?videoId=6158431893001
    tenetgif.gif

• Tenet is a palindrome, Nolan likes playing with time and is a bit pretentious - think the film itself may act as a palindrome in some way.
    award_2014_img01.png
    Chris Nolan’s ‘Tenet’ Could Still
    Break This U.S. Box Office Record
    Scott Mendelson | Aug 1, 2020,02:00pm EDT
    Hollywood & Entertainment
    I cover the film industry.
    960x0.jpg?cropX1=0&cropX2=949&cropY1=38&cropY2=573
    Robert Pattinson and John David Washington in Chris Nolan's 'Tenet' Warner Bros.
    If most of the country has operational movie theaters and audiences show up,
    Tenet’s U.S. debut could break the Labor Day weekend record.

Yesterday was supposed to be the opening day for Chris Nolan’s Tenet, well, the second opening day after Warner Bros. delayed the sci-fi actioner from its initial July 17 date. The John David Washington/Robert Pattinson thriller was then delayed to August 12 and will now open overseas in much of the world on August 26 before opening in “limited” American theatrical release over a long Thurs-Mon Labor Day weekend beginning September 3.

Just how limited is a key question, and Tom Brueggemann over at Indiewire has argued that the film could play in essentially 80% of the country. If the 45 U.S. states allegedly permitted to run indoor theaters are able to play the movie, then the anticipated (and allegedly good) time inversion thriller could set a new record for Labor Day weekends entirely by default.

There were 40 U.S. states operating indoor theaters in some capacity last weekend, and it’s presumed that the number will increase over the next month. No, that list doesn’t include California, New York, Arizona and New Jersey, key markets which may stay closed even as the rest of the country (for better or worse) reopens their theaters and theater chains. NYC, LA and San Francisco can sometimes represent 25% of the marketplace. Moreover, just because a state is allowed to operate theaters, that doesn’t mean that every potential movie theater in every permitted U.S., state will be running at maximum capacity.

But what if they do? Had America gotten a handle on the coronavirus over the summer and Paramount’s A Quiet Place part II (which was tracking for a $60 million launch when its initial March 20 release was canceled) opened on September 4 as rescheduled, that record would have been demolished, with the Emily Blunt sequel likely becoming the first Labor Day blockbuster by default. Since Labor Day is a holiday that usually signifies the end of the summer and the start of the school year, studios have almost never placed “big” (or kid-friendly) releases over this comparatively un-festive Fri-Mon frame.

Now Tenet has a shot of at least claiming that milestone. It’ll depend on A) if theaters can open, B) how wide WB slates Tenet and C) how good and kid-friendly the PG-13 action movie turns out to be. I do not know just how wide Warner Bros. intends to release Tenet in America when the time comes, although I imagine at the very least every available IMAX theater (of which there are 18 in California, Arizona and New York) will be put into service.

If we presume a mostly “normal” wide release save for a few key states, then it’s not hard to imagine the film grossing far less than it otherwise would have under ideal circumstances and still opening above $26 million Fri-Sun/$30 million Fri-Mon opening weekend of Rob Zombie’s Halloween. A $29 million Fri-Mon debut would put it over the inflation-adjusted debut of Transporter 2 ($20 million in 2005) while a $41 million Fri-Mon gross would put it over the inflation-adjusted launch of the 2007 slasher remake.

Had the $200 million-budgeted original opened under ideal circumstances in July of this year, it likely would have opened somewhere between $55 and $85 million. Matthew McConaughey’s Interstellar, which had mixed-positive reviews and, presumably, less action than the globetrotting espionage flick, opened with $49 million in 2014. Leonardo DiCaprio’s Inception opened, on a wave of rave reviews and at the tail end of a miserable summer movie season, with $62 million in July of 2010 ($73 million adjusted).

Those numbers are presumably no longer in play. For that matter, neither Washington nor Pattinson are DiCaprio-level stars. However, if the movie opens somewhat wide and enough moviegoers feel comfortable showing up, Tenet could score Nolan’s lowest opening weekend since The Prestige ($14.8 million in 2006)) and still open above $27 million over the Fri-Sun frame.

There are plenty of ways this might not happen, like if WB opens it in only 500 American theaters. If the film opens in 2,000 theaters (as opposed to a standard over/under 3,500 theaters for a tentpole) and earns $6,000 per-theater, it’ll be just $12 million for the Fri-Sun frame. Ditto if it plays like one of the adult-skewing thrillers often released over this holiday (The Constant Gardener, The Debt, The American, etc.) and pulls $8,000 per-theater on 2,000 screens for a $16 million debut.

However, a per-theater average on par with Interstellar ($13,946 in 3,591 theaters) for just 2,000 theaters would give Tenet $27 million for the Fri-Sun frame. The Labor Day weekend is such an historically small one for new movies that Tenet could easily open well below pre-coronavirus expectations and still break Halloween’s Labor Day weekend record. Yes, Warner Bros. choosing to open it on a Thursday implies that they aren’t chasing any short-term records, but they may end up with one entirely by default.
    giphy.gif
    200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47746ac8630d161271816024bec66c317df7af3b01&rid=200w.webp

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Coming 28th August at my local cinema.