Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2020 Posts: 40,471
    Some pretty positive reviews for the film so far but seeing several that felt underwhelmed or "meh," which is surprising. Looking forward to it still but I won't be rushing out to theaters to see anything for the time being.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Some pretty positive reviews for the film so far but seeing several that felt underwhelmed or "meh," which is surprising. Looking forward to it still but I won't be rushing out to theaters to see anything for the time being.

Not a surprise to me personally, as every film by him that I have seen has been meh.

And he messed up the film adaptation of The Prestige, a book by one of my favourite authors, which I’ve never really forgiven him for. But this thread is for people who like and appreciate his work so I’ll stop there

Not a surprise to me personally, as every film by him that I have seen has been meh.

And he messed up the film adaptation of The Prestige, a book by one of my favourite authors, which I’ve never really forgiven him for. But this thread is for people who like and appreciate his work so I’ll stop there

Shame, never read the book but I loved The Prestige.

The story of the two 19th century magicians (with its twist) is just the backstory in the novel; the framing story is set in the modern world, and it’s this modern story which contains the true shocks and the true horror. I was hoping Nolan would do the whole story justice so I was a bit disappointed that he actually only filmed the backstory. Ah well.

The story of the two 19th century magicians (with its twist) is just the backstory in the novel; the framing story is set in the modern world, and it’s this modern story which contains the true shocks and the true horror. I was hoping Nolan would do the whole story justice so I was a bit disappointed that he actually only filmed the backstory. Ah well.

Sounds like a lot was lost in translation from book to screen, then. Sounds like quite the interesting premise, I'll have to check it out sometime.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    71/100 on Metacritic.
    Inception and Interstellar scored 74. Dunkirk 94, Rises 78 and TDK 84.

“Easy to admire, hard to love”. From THR review.

It’s gonna be a pretty divisive film.
    It certainly sounds like it, and another one that seems to demand several viewings for it to really "click." Apparently critics were offered second and even third viewings if they wished to see it again.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I am seeing a lot of positive reviews and that is exciting! It won't be an easy film to digest, and I'm looking forward to this one so very much. I hope it's a hit, as big a hit as possible during a freakin' pandemic.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 4,343
    The Guardian: “The world is more than ready for a fabulous blockbuster, especially one that happens to feature face masks and chat about going back in time to avoid catastrophe. It’s a real shame Tenet isn’t it.“

Ouch. XD

Empire: “Nolan has made his own Bond film here, borrowing everything he likes about it, binning everything he doesn’t, then Nolaning it all up.”.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 12,459
    I love Inception and enjoy rewatching it several times a year. And for me, this new film by Nolan sounds great. Cinematically exciting, fine actors, and mind melting in a way I actually look forward to. I don't mind needing to see it twice to figure out more of the plot. I want a top quality adventure, with solid acting, intriguing story, and mindblowingly good on screen. I think Tenet will satisfy me.

Excerpts from this good review in Empire:
    https://www.empireonline.com/movies/reviews/tenet/
    This is a film engineered for dissection and deconstruction. Just as Inception was, this is an M.C. Escher painting, but folded, origami-like, and with holes poked into it for its own denizens to fall through.
    And ultimately, for all of that, Tenet once again proves Nolan’s undying commitment to big-screen thrills and spills. There’s a lot riding on this film, to resurrect cinema, to wrench people away from their televisions, facemasks and all. It may well do the trick: if you’re after a big old explosive Nolan braingasm, that is exactly what you’re going to get, shot on old-fashioned film too (as the end credits proudly state). By the time it’s done, you might not know what the hell’s gone on, but it is exciting nevertheless. It is ferociously entertaining.

edited August 2020 Posts: 12,459

and "spoiler free" podcast link in this one:

I'm done posting. I look forward to your personal reviews later. I do hope you see it to make up your own minds and I hope most of you find it a very enjoyable, thrilling movie.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 4,343
    Inception is overrated IMO. A cool, simple concept made complicated just for the sake of it. Half of the film is endless exposition, and the action is bland. Nolan made great films but Inception is not among them.
    I really don’t like all this “yeah you’re not gonna understand what’s goin on but hey, it’s visually cool and it is made to let you forget about your tv” narrative. It’s not Robert Bresson or Andrei Tarkovskij, it’s a 225 $ millions spy-action blockbuster we are talking about here.
    If things are too much confused it’s Nolan’s fault. Anyway I’m even more curious now.
    All of Nolan's films have varying opinions, not to everyone's tastes for sure. I'm lukewarm on The Prestige. But I really get into Inception. Anyway, Nolan is an intriguing filmmaker, and I keep reading how amazing this is to see on the screen; so incredibly shot. I'm looking forward to this one for many reasons, but the main thrill of a great adventure spectacularly filmed, and well acted, is a strong pull for me.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I've never walked into a Nolan film expecting immediate digestion of the plot. His enigmatic style of filmmaking is what I love about him.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 14,951
    Yeah I'm getting the feeling this is another rather cold but intellectually impressive Nolan movie. The reviews read like folks who've seen it respect it rather than love it.

His stuff always leaves me cold, I must admit. It's good, I watch it, I follow it, I don't get bored, but I never love it, if you know what I mean?

I watched Inception for only the first time since the cinema this week, and I was watching the snow stuff, trying to imagine him doing a Bond movie, and I think I'd be massively sad if he did. The action is fine, but I didn't care about it- no emotional response generated. I think he'd make a really cold, unfunny, unemotional Bond movie, even though it would be technically excellent and be full of brilliant ideas. But I watch Bond because it makes you love it. A blockbuster should do more than just make you nod and scratch your chin.

I dunno, I'm not for a moment saying anyone is wrong to think he's great and really enjoy his stuff- he's clearly a massive talent and bursting with ideas and invention, it just doesn't work for me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I've never seen a 'twist' so signposted as in that movie: there were a bunch of young kids chatting all the way through it when I saw it and I actually heard them, even though they weren't paying attention, guess what it was before the reveal. Maybe it was supposed to be obvious, I don't know, but my overriding memory of it is of one character (Caine?) giving another a written note to meet him in a theatre and the note said 'The Adelphi, London'. Both characters were in London at the time 8-|

Maybe my memory cheats, I don't know, but my impression was of a very stupid film pretending to be a clever one.
    mtm wrote: »

I've never seen a 'twist' so signposted as in that movie: there were a bunch of young kids chatting all the way through it when I saw it and I actually heard them, even though they weren't paying attention, guess what it was before the reveal. Maybe it was supposed to be obvious, I don't know, but my overriding memory of it is of one character (Caine?) giving another a written note to meet him in a theatre and the note said 'The Adelphi, London'. Both characters were in London at the time 8-|

Maybe my memory cheats, I don't know, but my impression was of a very stupid film pretending to be a clever one.

The big twist at the end of the movie comes about halfway through the original novel, and it’s not really built up into a big thing there anyway.

So the novel catches you out. While you’re reading, you work out the twist yourself quite early on and you think ‘I’ve worked the novel out’ but then the twist is revealed and you think ‘hang on, I’ve still got half the book to go, what’s going to happen next, is there something I’ve missed?’ and more importantly you start thinking ‘what is going to happen in the modern day sections?’

However I will say that few things are as divisive as a novel. Novels that some people love, others hate. I think Christopher Priest’s novel is great but I do know people who have read it and prefer the film anyway :))
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I guess technically the film has two twists (the nature of the both of the magicians' illusions) but both are extremely obvious, and the final shot of the movie felt like it was trying to be a big Planet of the Apes-style reveal but it wasn't any surprise at all, was it? Maybe they weren't supposed to be surprises to the audience at all, but if they weren't I genuinely didn't get the point of it. It's a bit like the spinning top at the end of Inception- why is that played like we're not supposed to know if it falls or not? It's like he's trying to have his cake and eat it: he can't resist directing it as if it's a twist despite the fact that it isn't one.

Sounds like the twist in the novel is a bit like the whodunnit in Knives Out. Have you seen it? It seems like the mystery is solved about twenty mins into the movie, but then it goes in another direction- that's actually a film that manages to surprise, in a good way.
    Anyway, although I’m not keen on Nolan’s style, and I don’t really enjoy his films, I still hope Tenet does well, because there is so much riding on it. If Tenet bombs then heaven alone knows what the near-term economic future of cinemas will be
    "mtm wrote: »
    Sounds like the twist in the novel is a bit like the whodunnit in Knives Out. Have you seen it? It seems like the mystery is solved about twenty mins into the movie, but then it goes in another direction- that's actually a film that manages to surprise, in a good way.

Not yet but it’s on my list of films to watch, the people I know who have seen it all recommend it
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I am making it sound like I hate his films, and I don't. I just don't get them fully, but I can totally see why many people do. I wish Tenet well and I do fully intend to see it at some point, I doubt there can be many Bond fans who don't.

Even if the 'funny' lines the reviews keep posting don't exactly sound hilarious. Apparently the Protagonist gets intimately frisked at an airport and says something like 'I'd usually ask you to buy me a drink first'. Ho-ho. Makes you yearn for Roger's "This should shake them off!" whilst being driven down a flight of steps.

Not yet but it’s on my list of films to watch, the people I know who have seen it all recommend it

I quite enjoyed Knives Out but feel like one of the only ones who didn't think it was a "masterpiece" like I constantly see it praised as.
    I think it just feels good to have a major release again, after a super-lengthy period. At least we now have something we can monitor and talk about and hope it does well at the box-office.
    I thought knives out was good fun. Dunkirk was great. 1917 was incredible.
    I, for one, won't be looking forward to dodging spoilers for the next few months, but hopefully the pay off will be worth it. It'll probably bother me so much that I'll toss aside my convictions and find a way to see it in theaters.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I quite enjoyed Knives Out but feel like one of the only ones who didn't think it was a "masterpiece" like I constantly see it praised as.

Yeah I wouldn't call it a masterpiece; it's just a really fun, well put-together Friday night film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I think it just feels good to have a major release again, after a super-lengthy period.

Well none of us have been able to have many dates recently, no ;)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

A very well-written script with some fantastic and funny performances and production design, absolutely. Masterpiece though? Probably not.
    mtm wrote: »
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I think it just feels good to have a major release again, after a super-lengthy period.

Well none of us have been able to have many dates recently, no ;)

Affirmative :)