Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I love Inception and enjoy rewatching it several times a year. And for me, this new film by Nolan sounds great. Cinematically exciting, fine actors, and mind melting in a way I actually look forward to. I don't mind needing to see it twice to figure out more of the plot. I want a top quality adventure, with solid acting, intriguing story, and mindblowingly good on screen. I think Tenet will satisfy me.

@4EverBonded, I just came back from a screening of Inception. A great movie experience, as ever, at a Regal Cinema theater just outside Washington, DC.

After a bunch of previews, a very nice short narrated mostly by Nolan on recognizing the 10 year anniversary and its filming played--the heist movie. Then the same treatment for the forthcoming Tenet, a lot of excitement expressed by Nolan and Washington and the rest. For this one: the spy movie. A couple times Nolan waxes on how inspired he was by the spy films he saw early in life, I notice he carefully avoids the B-word. Classy guy. Keeping his options open, I'm sure.

Saw Inception in theater on its original release with the whole family. Also watched it recently at home. It was an easy watch tonight sitting with my wife, as always a lot to process in a good way and more detail to pick out and absorb. We're both looking forward to Tenet more and more.

One last item: exiting the theater before we got to the out door on full display was a large "Mulan 27 March" poster. They should do something about that.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2020 Posts: 15,686
    Final official trailer:

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    @RichardTheBruce - lucky you! Fantastic to see Inception on the big screen and how great to have Nolan talking in that short piece. I would have loved to have been there! Funnily enough, since I mentioned Inception earlier I decided to play it again while doing housework. I'm up to the bottom part of the snow scenes right now. So enjoyable for me, every time.

I had to make a firm decision. And I need to stick to it. I won't be seeing any film in any theatre until after I am vaccinated against this virus. I cannot do it. Not for Tenet, and not even for Bond. No matter what (and that will be hard). I'm in the vulnerable category and for me it would be just the most asinine thing, to die (or go through horrific ordeal) because I went to a theatre or had my hair professionally cut and colored. So nope. I'll get Tenet on DVD asap, of course. I'm curious, as we all are, as to when Bond will actually be released.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Final official trailer:

Terrific. A shame about the annoying music playing over it.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Final official trailer:

And so, the weakest set of trailers for a Nolan film are complete.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah, just leaves me a bit cold (I actually didn't finish it). Maybe I'll really enjoy it when I see it.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 4,400
    Final official trailer:

Somewhat underwhelming and messy it reminds me a lot of the Uncut Gems trailer (which is a great film, which more people need to see!)....but that final shot before the title card. Damn....😍 😍 😍 😍 😍 😍 😍 😍 😍 😍 😍 😍 😍 😍 😍 😍 😍 😍 😍 😍

Also here is the new Travis Scott song. Which I don't mind at all. It has similar production values to Kanye's Yeezus album which was a pretty magnificent experiment from an artist in his prime. But the song is a little flat - it just starts and doesn't really go anywhere.

I'm curious about the mixed reviews. It seems not many people love the film, but they admire it. Which feels like a common complaint of Nolan. His films can be like German-made cars. They are massively efficient and technically brilliant. But there is a certain sterile quality to them. It's why all the forced emotion of Interstellar is so cringeworthy. Basically, Chris Nolan is the Audi of filmmakers.

Nonetheless, I really can't wait for Thursday!!! Going to the BFI IMAX! Who else is going there this week?

Also, Nolan has spoken about how TSWLM influenced Tenet....very interested! He previously spoke of how OHMSS influenced Inception and you can certainly see that in the film. TSWLM is interesting as it was one of the first Bond films that had a serious 'epic' scope, wither numerous locations, crazy big action setpieces and OTT villains.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Happy to see a lil bit more of Aaron Taylor-Johnson :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 14,861

I'm curious about the mixed reviews. It seems not many people love the film, but they admire it. Which feels like a common complaint of Nolan. His films can be like German-made cars. They are massively efficient and technically brilliant. But there is a certain sterile quality to them. It's why all the forced emotion of Interstellar is so cringeworthy. Basically, Chris Nolan is the Audi of filmmakers.

Haha! That's a great way of putting it :)

I wonder if the TSWLM comments are just because this film seems pretty full of speedboats? :D
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 4
    Will be interesting to see if a movie that isn’t a disastrous misfire can revive the theatrical industry. Tenet ain’t gonna cut it. We need No Time To Die and we need it yesterday.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Oof, that song is absolutely awful and the newest trailer is merely a cutting of scattered fights and action sequences. Still nowhere closer to feeling like I know where things are headed in this film but I suppose that's a good thing. I worry the film is going to be so focused on jet-setting and set pieces that it'll feel hollow. Hopefully that isn't the case.
    TSWLM is interesting as it was one of the first Bond films that had a serious 'epic' scope, wither numerous locations, crazy big action setpieces and OTT villains.

Really?

What about YOLT?
    I'll get Tenet on DVD asap, of course. I'm curious, as we all are, as to when Bond will actually be released.
    Tempus fugit, @4EverBonded. Media moves so quickly the Tenet DVD will likely be out November. Just a matter of time.
    I'll rent TENET from Redbox unless of course there's something else listed that I find far more interesting. That will probably be the case, actually and I'd end up watching something else that night.

Here's another scenario: my girlfriend just might want to see TENET. However, she won't want to risk going to the cinema for this film. She would for Bond, though.

So several months later, she goes to the local Redbox to find a copy of TENET, and sees something else listed that's more up her alley. She shrugs and says" "Eff it, let's just go home and watch LIVE AND LET DIE or SKYFALL again. And that's how THAT scenario likely plays out.

Well, heck. Looks like I won't be seeing TENET for quite some time. By then I'll probably forget it exists and be focused on the upcoming BOND 26.

Oh, well.
    640px-Deadline_logo.svg.png
    Alamo Drafthouse To Reopen With Free Screenings Of
    ‘Bill & Ted Face The Music’; Theatrical Debuts Of ‘The
    New Mutants’ And ‘Tenet’
    See the complete article here:
    By Dino-Ray Ramos | Associate Editor/Reporter @DinoRay | 18 August 2020
    btftm_still-1-e1593110078914.png?w=681&h=383&crop=1
    Orion Pictures
    The Alamo Drafthouse is ready to safely open its doors to select theaters around the country starting August 21, it said Tuesday, with additional theaters opening the following week. The Austin-based dine-in theater experience will also be the first place to see Bill & Ted Face the Music. On August 26, the Drafthouse will exclusively host free screenings of the sequel of the iconic time-traveling comedy franchise starring Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter. Tickets are also on sale for Fox’s comic book horror pic The New Mutants and Christopher Nolan’s anticipated Tenet starring John David Washington, Robert Pattinson and Elizabeth Debicki which will open September 3.
    “We are incredibly excited to welcome everyone back to Alamo Drafthouse,” Alamo Drafthouse CEO Shelli Taylor said. “Tenet, The New Mutants and Bill & Ted Face the Music are made for the big-screen experience. We’ve all dearly missed going to the movies, and with our many enhanced safety protocols we feel that we can come together again confidently and securely.”

In addition to new releases, Alamo Drafthouse has set to two repertory programs:
    MAKING UP FOR LOST TIME: This August series explores time, time travel, time machines, time warps and…lost time! The classic time-twisting movies Inception, Back to the Future I and II, Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure, Donnie Darko and the Edge of Tomorrow. Inspired by Bill & Ted Face the Music and a feeling everyone is now too familiar with – lost time.
    MASKS!: Masks have been a ubiquitous part of our reality for the past five months, essential for slowing the spread of Coronavirus and mandated at Alamo Drafthouse theaters. But masks have also been a staple of cinema since the invention of celluloid, and this September, Alamo Drafthouse is celebrating our favorite masked heroes and villains across a variety of genres, including Batman (1989), Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Set It Off, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Mask of Zorro and The Silence of the Lambs.
    Alamo Drafthouse will also continue to offer films for rental or purchase through Alamo On Demand. The curated VOD platform allows programmers to champion new and exciting films far beyond the auditorium. Following the exclusive theatrical launch of Bill & Ted Face the Music, the film will also be available on Alamo On Demand.
    500full.jpg
    For anyone who disliked that trailer - here's an alternate international (or in all fairness the original, the Travis Scott song one was done later) version with Ludwig Göransson's score

For what it's worth - it wasn't really intended initially as a trailer at all, but a sizzle reel for industry events like CinemaCon and was meant to play with the Inception re release as special footage
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @antovolk It felt more like a music video than a trailer - it did not have any ''structure'' like the teaser and theatrical trailers. This was just 3 minutes of money shots, and I can't say it didn't work for me - the cinematography looks fantastic.

Can't wait to see the film tomorrow evening.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Final trailer would be fine without the that auto tune drivel over the top of it.

So glad I grew up in the era I did, god we had the 90's for music, people actually got informed even with mainstream stuff we got challenged, we got Radiohead and Nirvana you get this, I weep for you.
    The time has finally come: I am about to go watch Tenet on the big screen in a few minutes. I hope Nolan has delivered another great film!
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    The time has finally come: I am about to go watch Tenet on the big screen in a few minutes. I hope Nolan has delivered another great film!

:D =D>

Enjoy!
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    How are UK advance ticket sales of ‘Tenet’ actually performing?
    https://screendaily.com/news/how-are-uk-advance-ticket-sales-of-tenet-actually-performing/5152488.article

"At the start of the year, cinema advertising company Digital Cinema Media predicted Tenet would rank third in the UK in 2020 - behind James Bond feature No Time To Die and animated sequel Minions: The Rise Of Gru, now a 2021 release - with £36m. Those expectations have now reduced. “I’d be very happy with £20m-plus,” said DCM content business director Tom Linay.

Gower Street Analytics offers a release date optimisation tool rather than box office forecasting, but nevertheless projected box office outcomes are an essential part of its algorithm. Gower Street has released its latest projected top 10 titles for 2020 in UK and Ireland, with Tenet in fifth place, behind No Time To Die, 1917 (which has grossed £43.9m), West Side Story and Pixar’s Soul, and ahead of Peter Rabbit 2, Death On The Nile, Wonder Woman 1984, Black Widow and Sonic The Hedgehog (£19.2m).

“When Covid hit in March, our UK lifetime estimate for Tenet dropped by nearly 20%,” said Gower Street director of theatrical insights Robert Mitchell. “It’s now more or less back where we had it at the beginning of the year. Not quite, but pretty close.

“The main difference is the rest of the market. This might be conservative, but we are projecting it to achieve 80% market share in the UK on opening weekend, ie Friday to Sunday.”"
    Warner Bros will not allow Tenet to be played at drive-in theaters in areas where indoor cinemas are closed.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/tenet-theaters-drive-ins-christopher-nolan-1234746741/

This will limit the box-office intake of Tenet even more, given this means US states where indoors cinemas are closed won't be able to rely on outdoor venues.
    Warner Bros will not allow Tenet to be played at drive-in theaters in areas where indoor cinemas are closed.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/tenet-theaters-drive-ins-christopher-nolan-1234746741/

This will limit the box-office intake of Tenet even more, given this means US states where indoors cinemas are closed won't be able to rely on outdoor venues.

How was it? :-)
    @JamesCraig It was fantastic. :-) I won’t say more to avoid spoiling anything.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

So the negative reviews about the film wasn't true, damn i wanted to watch this in theatres. Enjoy :)

Cool. I'm seeing it this Thursday. \:D/
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited August 2020 Posts: 3,497
    It seems to be his most divisive movie yet, possibly with the exception of TDKR. :-?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

So the negative reviews about the film wasn't true, damn i wanted to watch this in theatres. Enjoy :)

I wouldn't say there's any "truth" to one's opinion regarding whether a film is positive or negative. That's for you to decide. I've seen glowing reviews across the board for films I hated and vice versa; only one way to find out! I'm personally still looking forward to seeing this when I can.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I wouldn't say there's any "truth" to one's opinion regarding whether a film is positive or negative. That's for you to decide. I've seen glowing reviews across the board for films I hated and vice versa; only one way to find out! I'm personally still looking forward to seeing this when I can.

This.