Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

Comments

New York officially delays the reopening of movie theaters until late July at the earliest.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-york-postpones-reopenings-of-malls-movie-theaters-and-gyms-11593033187

That's it for Tenet I guess. When on earth can they delay it to?

Tenet is gonna stay even with New York closed - was hinted as much even before the two week delay https://deadline.com/2020/06/selena-gomez-movie-broken-hearts-gallery-july-release-tenet-1202954752/. Now if LA and other major cities walk back reopening plans then... yeah

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,690
    antovolk wrote: »
    New York officially delays the reopening of movie theaters until late July at the earliest.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-york-postpones-reopenings-of-malls-movie-theaters-and-gyms-11593033187

Tenet is gonna stay even with New York closed - was hinted as much even before the two week delay https://deadline.com/2020/06/selena-gomez-movie-broken-hearts-gallery-july-release-tenet-1202954752/. Now if LA and other major cities walk back reopening plans then... yeah

Covid-19 is spiraling out of control in the USA. It is becoming clear that the reopening plans will not be able to take place.

During the previous peak of April/May the US averaged 32,000 new cases per day (with a peak on April 24th of 36,000 cases). Last week daily new cases were around 25,000 per day. Yesterday the US recorded their worst day yet with 39,000 new cases. Trump just announced that testing must be slowed down. He ordered to stop funding testing sites.

Cases are surging in 27 states, most of these are breaking their daily records almost everyday.

We are reaching a point where we need to ask ourselves if we really are advocating for cinemas to reopen to satisfy our need to watch new films, or if the health & safety of fellow humans is more important.

Covid-19 is spiraling out of control in the USA. It is becoming clear that the reopening plans will not be able to take place.

During the previous peak of April/May the US averaged 32,000 new cases per day (with a peak on April 24th of 36,000 cases). Last week daily new cases were around 25,000 per day. Yesterday the US recorded their worst day yet with 39,000 new cases. Trump just announced that testing must be slowed down. He ordered to stop funding testing sites.

Cases are surging in 27 states, most of these are breaking their daily records almost everyday.

We are reaching a point where we need to ask ourselves if we really are advocating for cinemas to reopen to satisfy our need to watch new films, or if the health & safety of fellow humans is more important.

I agree.

Honestly? If the cinema industry undergoes a painful paradigm shift an reboot as a result of this - so be it. That's what people in the industry pushing for reopenings are really fearing. stay closed for longer and they go out of business
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Covid-19 is spiraling out of control in the USA.
    Depends on the meaning of control.
    New York has just canceled its annual marathon 4 months before the event was due to happen (November 1st).

Was there to be a tie-in with a screening of Tenet?
    That point is not lost on me.
    The US is certainly a worry for the big tentpoles coming out (NTTD) included. Whilst cinemas are opening in Europe the WHO has said that 11 European countries are seeing a surge in Covid-19 cases. It may get to the point where they may have to delay well into the future (if that's financially viable) or just accept the situation and hope that they can at least break even. Until things truly get back to normal big budget films may be a thing of the past.
    Variety_magazine_logo.svg-1024x283.png?format=300w&content-type=image%2Fpng
    Christopher Nolan’s ‘Tenet’
    Delays Release Date Again
    https://variety.com/2020/film/box-office/tenet-release-date-delayed-again-christopher-nolan-1234690272
    By Rebecca Rubin
    tenet-nolan.jpg?w=600

Warner Bros. has again pushed back the release date for Christopher Nolan’s “Tenet.” It’s the second delay for the highly anticipated tentpole, which has been primed to reignite moviegoing after lengthy cinema closures due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The movie, which cost $200 million, was initially slated to arrive in theaters on July 17, but was later postponed until July 31. Now, it will be released on Aug. 12.

“Warner Bros. is committed to bringing ‘Tenet’ to audiences in theaters, on the big screen, when exhibitors are ready and public health officials say it’s time,” a Warner Bros. spokesperson said in a statement. “In this moment what we need to be is flexible, and we are not treating this as a traditional movie release. We are choosing to open the movie mid-week to allow audiences to discover the film in their own time, and we plan to play longer, over an extended play period far beyond the norm, to develop a very different yet successful release strategy.”

The studio has also delayed the rerelease of Nolan’s sci-fi blockbuster “Inception,” in honor of its 10th anniversary, to July 31.

So I redirect to watch Inception 31 July.

And plan on Tenet 12 August. Just a matter of time.

tumblr_n25k9m7ghe1tuyofco1_400.gif?w=150&h=150
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @antovolk If Tenet gets delayed again (which is likely), where will WB move it to? Again by 2 weeks to August 26th? Or will WB call it a day and push it back to summer 2021 as I suggested a few months ago?
    @antovolk If Tenet gets delayed again (which is likely), where will WB move it to? Again by 2 weeks to August 26th? Or will WB call it a day and push it back to summer 2021 as I suggested a few months ago?

I genuinely think it will be incremental - it seems Nolan/WB are dead set on the idea of this being (one of) the first films back whenever cinemas are allowed to reopen, for better or worse. Major chains aren't opening up without major content even if governments give the OK and Nolan seems to want to close that gap.

I genuinely think it will be incremental - it seems Nolan/WB are dead set on the idea of this being (one of) the first films back whenever cinemas are allowed to reopen, for better or worse. Major chains aren't opening up without major content even if governments give the OK and Nolan seems to want to close that gap.

It's all pretty crazy if you ask me. The US are entering a second peak of the outbreak (previous one went on for 2 months). So having Tenet being pushed by every 2 weeks for the next 2 months sounds pretty insane. Especially given Nolan/WB will end up with a release date right in the middle of a crowded space (Black Widow, NTTD, Soul, etc). While most of those won't be direct competition, they will all be competing for the screens available, and social distancing measures will only aggravate the situation.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    They might as well push it to 2021 already and be done with it.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Why is Nolan so weirdly intent on releasing this film now? There is a pandemic, theaters are not even open, his film is not even a franchise film, it literally doesn’t matter when it releases. Let’s say he spent one more year in pre production and the film released in 2021, it’s not like it would matter to anyone, but for some reason because it’s finished, he’s super intent on releasing it. I dont know it does not make sense to me at all. Unless he feels like his film might save the theatrical experience, that’s the only answer I can think of.

And also what is the deal between WB and Nolan. Who has final say on the release date because if it’s WB then they should not be entertaining this nonsense and they should have delayed already.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 3,164
    Why is Nolan so weirdly intent on releasing this film now? There is a pandemic, theaters are not even open, his film is not even a franchise film, it literally doesn’t matter when it releases. Let’s say he spent one more year in pre production and the film released in 2021, it’s not like it would matter to anyone, but for some reason because it’s finished, he’s super intent on releasing it. I dont know it does not make sense to me at all. Unless he feels like his film might save the theatrical experience, that’s the only answer I can think of.

And also what is the deal between WB and Nolan. Who has final say on the release date because if it’s WB then they should not be entertaining this nonsense and they should have delayed already.

He wants to help struggling theaters (AMC and Regal owner Cineworld have been teasing bankruptcy for months) by offering them this film as soon as the governments allow them to open - WB put out a statement with the August release announcement all but confirming that intention, releasing the film 'when exhibitors are ready and public health officials say it's time'. He's a massive believer in the traditional theatrical experience and is concerned that COVID will kill off cinemas as the default mainstream way to watch a film.

Nolan is WB's premier filmmaker, who has earned them a ton of money, especially with his Batman trilogy, while always coming in under budget and on time. WB ultimately has final say but Nolan has a ton of input into marketing and distribution of his films. According to reporting from Variety and the New York Times, it was Nolan who wanted to stick with July and the idea of being the first film out, while WB wanted to delay for later for bigger box office. There's a belief that sacrificing box office (and Nolan's 20% first-dollar gross - he immediately gets 20% of the box office earned) is worthy to keep cinemas afloat...

He wants to be the saviour of cinema. I commend him for it.
    Yes we're living through history, cinema and otherwise. His intentions are good.

And he just keeps moving forward.

c3defffdf057181fcac513e4a134788cb2b7c225.gifv

Unhinged has been delayed to July 31st, 2020.
    Mulan has been delayed to August 21st, 2020.
    Bill & Ted 3 has been delayed to August 28th, 2020.
    Without Remorse has been delayed to February 26th, 2021.
    So I redirect to watch Inception 31 July.

Both Unhinged's release date and Inception re-release are now in serious jeopardy: the main movies chains across the US are unlikely to re-open before July 31st at the earliest.

This would also already puts major doubt on Tenet's August 12th release, as it it simply too close to the planned reopening.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Inception has already been shown here, and is screening again next week.

But not in the USA, as this article states:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/movie-theater-stocks-hit-covid-19-case-rise-reopening-uncertainty-1300581

All the delays so far are caused by the US market being closed, and the situation has not improved since March.

Yes, Europe and Asia are very much getting back on their feet. Things are moving in a positive direction. Whilst it may be too early to say 'mission accomplished', there is much to be hopeful about.

However, the chief issue is the USA. With the situation as dire as it is in America and the fact that Tenet primarily dependent on making money in it's domestic territory (i.e; the States), there is no chance of it opening in July or even August for that matter (remember the film only moved from July to August due to recent surge in cases there).

That doesn't stop Nolan from releasing in Europe or elsewhere. But Warner wouldn't want to let the US theatres down and there are probably a myriad of other economic and legal issues that would preclude them from not releasing internationally concurrently.

So......where does this leave us? In stasis, sadly.

Without the USA, the entire film industry industry is in flux. We may get independent films and smaller pictures in the UK (where I am based). But blockbusters are off the table, probably till a vaccine.

I was firmly in the camp that Tenet would release this year and cinemas would be back on their feet in 2020. But things are changing. The reality is that this year in film will be a tragic one. Unfortunately, the American response has led to this.

EbSPRvGVcAErLEw?format=jpg&name=small
    EbSPSdbUEAkseuJ?format=jpg&name=small
    California pulls back on reopening plans. So do Texas and Florida amidst several states breaking daily infections records for 3 days in a row.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/corona-shutdowns-california-florida-texas-1202971755/

@antovolk What is the likeliest release date for Tenet, now that August looks extremely unlikely?
    Perhaps December? Then it could be the film that people flock to over the holidays.

Of course they won’t say that. When they drop August they’ll announce that they’ll release it on a date in early September. Then a date in late September. Then early October. Then late October. Then November. Then December :))
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Supposedly Nolan wants to be the guy that kickstarts theaters, because he wants to keep that industry alive. So WB will keep pushing back in an effort to remain the studio that reopens cinema in a big way.
    Supposedly Nolan wants to be the guy that kickstarts theaters, because he wants to keep that industry alive. So WB will keep pushing back in an effort to remain the studio that reopens cinema in a big way.

Sadly for Nolan & WB, that window of opportunity is eroding fast. If we assume theaters remain closed until September, then Tenet will be releasing the very crowded end of 2020 season. September alone has Monster Hunter, Honest Thief, A Quiet Place 2, The Conjuring 3, The King's Man and Candyman. And most of those have a big advantage on Nolan: they are very small budget films in comparison to Tenet, making Nolan's film the only main one at risk of flopping. At that point WB will have no choice but to delay it to 2021 to keep its box office chances alive.

If Nolan and WB want to be the first one to open, they basically have to wish for a miracle for cinemas to reopen for its current release date (August 12th). And with the way the situation is developing in the US, this seems more and more unlikely with each passing day.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Nolan shouldn't receive hate for trying to save an industry, and give movie fans a tiny reward for months of misery locked inside. Makes no sense why they didn't release on July 17th as planned, after sticking to that date for so long. If people are piling onto beaches with no measures in place, and sporting events are taking place across the globe, having one movie playing in cinemas, using every available screen and seating appropriately distanced would've been easily managable. When Tenet is released I believe it will blow all of our collective socks off, as I think he has a serious summer smash on his hands and he knows it. Some of the concepts on the trailer are truly mind blowing, and vintage Nolan. Makes you wonder why no one tried to do this before. He is definitely a bold and ambitious filmmaker and I know that this movie would have been the light at the end of the tunnel for so many cinemagoers across the planet in such depressing times.
    I think he has a serious summer smash on his hands and he knows it.

Correct, hence why Tenet will most likely be released in July 2021.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Makes no sense why they didn't release on July 17th as planned, after sticking to that date for so long. If people are piling onto beaches with no measures in place, and sporting events are taking place across the globe, having one movie playing in cinemas, using every available screen and seating appropriately distanced would've been easily managable.

Two wrongs don't make a right.
    Makes no sense why they didn't release on July 17th as planned, after sticking to that date for so long. If people are piling onto beaches with no measures in place, and sporting events are taking place across the globe, having one movie playing in cinemas, using every available screen and seating appropriately distanced would've been easily managable.

Exactly. Common sense. Well, it should be common. But it sure makes sense.

We'll have to adapt the structures that can be adapted. And I reckon the performative art and cinema industry will have much adapting to do over the coming years. I'm a huge cinema lover and goer, but I'll probably won't set a foot in one for the next two years. Well, lucky for me, the cinema here is usually empty during matinee hours, so I'll probably go see NTTD whenever. In and out, fast as it goes, mask on and all that. Best thing would be the industry re imagining itself for pandemic times, making use of streaming services and (non existing) economical help plans meant for the arts. Alas, all I'm seeing is dumb people do dumb things, and saying even dumber things. The not so common sense is not prevailing, unfortunately.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 17,295
    Univex wrote: »

We'll have to adapt the structures that can be adapted. And I reckon the performative art and cinema industry will have much adapting to do over the coming years. I'm a huge cinema lover and goer, but I'll probably won't set a foot in one for the next two years. Well, lucky for me, the cinema here is usually empty during matinee hours, so I'll probably go see NTTD whenever. In and out, fast as it goes, mask on and all that. Best thing would be the industry re imagining itself for pandemic times, making use of streaming services and (non existing) economical help plans meant for the arts. Alas, all I'm seeing is dumb people do dumb things, and saying even dumber things. The not so common sense is not prevailing, unfortunately.

My hometown's annual music festival made the most out of the current situation. Restrictions over here allows an audience of around 200 (if I remember correctly), and instead of cancelling the festival altogether, they invited some of the scheduled artists to perform scaled-back concerts, with the concerts filmed and streamed online for a larger audience.

Edit: Only now realised I was on the Tenet thread; a film I have no interest in. Sorry!

giphy.gif

My hometown's annual music festival made the most out of the current situation. Restrictions over here allows an audience of around 200 (if I remember correctly), and instead of cancelling the festival altogether, they invited some of the scheduled artists to perform scaled-back concerts, with the concerts filmed and streamed online for a larger audience.

Edit: Only now realised I was on the Tenet thread; a film I have no interest in. Sorry!

giphy.gif

eh eh, I feel the same, and I'm somewhat of a Nolan fan.

giphy.gif

eh eh, I feel the same, and I'm somewhat of a Nolan fan.

Really? The way I know Nolan fans, they seem to just adore everything he does without exception.