Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited June 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    I, for one, hate the idea of a young Bond. Always have. Always will. It worked for Craig because he never seemed young in the first place.

James Bond is a man's role. Not a boy's.
    More power to you my friend, but I still think you could be pleasantly surprised by some of the names put forward - especially seeing as we’re probably looking at more than a few years till anyone’s considered or cast - so a lot can happen in that time. Claflin, for example, will be closer to being 40 by the time Bond 26 I imagine sees the light.

I'm afraid Claflin will have lost the little hair he has left by then, my friend ;) You see, he's balding by the minute. And he was appalling in that rom com "Love Wedding Repeat".
    talos7 wrote: »
    Can we please have a Netflix Ian Fleming's James Bond straight adaptation of the novels with this guy? Set in the 50s, of course. With lots of smoking, sex and gratuitous yet stylish violence. He's 40 now. So now's the time to do it. David Arnold, who is always up to it, could score it with original themes. There would be a recurring title sequence with slightly adapted details according to the episode. Wouldn't that be something?

7319709fb7ab8a4e85ff6f54a110c3f1.jpg
    David-Gandy-for-Autograph.jpg
    M%26S+David+Gandy+Tailoring+Collection+5.jpg

7-1931-bentley-4-litre-supercharged-tourer-1531855337.png

Oh yes, @Univex. That makes me giddy!

Is this guy British and has he ever acted?
    A 60’s era series with him is intriguing.

Ubber British. He's the best known and first male supermodel. He has directed some stuff and I reckon he could act. He's a big Jaguar/classic car enthusiast, has run the mille miglia twice, and is known to be a good chap. And he has the voice for it.

If Lazenby could do it, he could do it. :P

Bring him on for three and do a proper Blofeld Trilogy.

I reckon 8 or 10 brilliantly written and produced episodes could make for a good impression on the novels. It could very well be a stylish affair that would ignite a whole new respect for the literary character and books.

I would say a mini-series of 4-5 hour long episodes, personally. I would be afraid 8-10 might be stretching it, and then we'd have the obligatory "filler" made of things that are not from the novels intended to pad out the runtime, such as the inevitable episode told from Mary Goodnight's perspective! ;)

You're probably very, very right, my friend. 4-5 it would be, then ;) Quality ones. High standard productions. Bafta winners.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I, for one, hate the idea of a young Bond. Always have. Always will. It worked for Craig because he never seemed young in the first place.

More power to you my friend, but I still think you could be pleasantly surprised by some of the names put forward - especially seeing as we’re probably looking at more than a few years till anyone’s considered or cast - so a lot can happen in that time. Claflin, for example, will be closer to being 40 by the time Bond 26 I imagine sees the light.

I'm afraid Claflin will have lost the little hair he has left by then, my friend ;) You see, he's balding by the minute. And he was appalling in that rom com "Love Wedding Repeat".
    We’ll have to wait and see haha :D

...and you know what I thought I was gonna hate that film but I was actually quite entertained :)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Will Gandy ever be Bond, more than probably not, but he’s got a commanding presence; I would be interested to see how he would do in the “ From Russia With Love “ screentest. In my minds eye he would at least look great.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Will Gandy ever be Bond, more than probably not, but he’s got a commanding presence; I would be interested to see how he would do in the “ From Russia With Love “ screentest. In my minds eye he would at least look great.
    +1, Absolutely.

We’ll have to wait and see haha :D

...and you know what I thought I was gonna hate that film but I was actually quite entertained :)

Yeah, well... Olivia Munn ;) Ya know...
    165eeee9edec58a3fa7f930ebb26d872.png
    9666967.jpg
    EVRi8-PU4AAKwv9.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    It’s gonna be interesting to see what state the industry is in and what’s popular when work on Bond 26 begins.

And she may have been an element of that entertainment @Univex haha :) Her scenes with Tim Key got me especially tbf
    It’s gonna be interesting to see what state the industry is in and what’s popular when work on Bond 26 begins.
    Definitely. And what makes sense in the world by then too.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

100%.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Can we please have a Netflix Ian Fleming's James Bond straight adaptation of the novels with this guy? Set in the 50s, of course. With lots of smoking, sex and gratuitous yet stylish violence. He's 40 now. So now's the time to do it. David Arnold, who is always up to it, could score it with original themes. There would be a recurring title sequence with slightly adapted details according to the episode. Wouldn't that be something?

7319709fb7ab8a4e85ff6f54a110c3f1.jpg
    David-Gandy-for-Autograph.jpg
    M%26S+David+Gandy+Tailoring+Collection+5.jpg

7-1931-bentley-4-litre-supercharged-tourer-1531855337.png

Oh yes, @Univex. That makes me giddy!

Is this guy British and has he ever acted?
    A 60’s era series with him is intriguing.

Ubber British. He's the best known and first male supermodel. He has directed some stuff and I reckon he could act. He's a big Jaguar/classic car enthusiast, has run the mille miglia twice, and is known to be a good chap. And he has the voice for it.

I say, get Moffat and Gatiss to adapt the novels for TV format (yes, yes, I'm aware of the risks here), get Murray Gold for the music, get the Bentley Blower, an array of brilliant British TV supporting actors and actresses, heck, get Dame Bassey for the song. Cmon, just do it.

Damn, I want this man’s life! 😁

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,131
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    It's actually quite difficult to be worse of an actor than Cavill. My kitchen sink actually agrees.

I don’t particularly want him as Bond. But I thought he was quite good in The Man From Uncle, The Tudors and Man of Steel. He’s got screen presence and charisma.

Even if his acting prowess is less than other thespians, his bank account is pretty impressive.

And what does that have to do with playing Bond?

That I disagree that he’s a ‘terrible’ actor and general audiences and studios agree with this.

M_Blaise wrote: »
    It's actually quite difficult to be worse of an actor than Cavill. My kitchen sink actually agrees.

I don’t particularly want him as Bond. But I thought he was quite good in The Man From Uncle, The Tudors and Man of Steel. He’s got screen presence and charisma.

Even if his acting prowess is less than other thespians, his bank account is pretty impressive.

And what does that have to do with playing Bond?

I believe his point was that Cavill obviously has "something", otherwise he wouldn't still be popular en masse; his appeal is reflected in his bank account thanks to the fact that he keeps getting high profile gigs and why his name keeps popping up as a suggestion for Bond year on year, despite many (including a lot of people in this thread) not rating him as an actor.

Exactly my point, thank you. He’s done brilliantly...from barman in Jersey to international stardom. Studios and audiences in general love him.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I am completely depressed by what Bond could be moving forward, so I don't really have clarity at the moment.

I do understand you. That's the reason I started advocating for a different direction with the straight adaptation of the novels for a new format, and for Gandy as Bond in his 40s. That would be Bond heaven for me. None of this Bond Jr. Y gen self censored unrecognisable crap.

There are, of course, those who prefer to set it in modern times with a black James Bond, just because why not?, or an American skinny teenager playing Bond just because he's sooooo cute.

I, for one, do not fit in these surrealist approaches to it. But hey, what can we do, right?

Suggesting a guy who isn’t an actor for the role is no less surreal.

Our lead actor certainly needs to be an actor, I would humbly suggest.

A straight adaptation of the novels I find to be a dull idea too, because they’ll always need to be adapated: they won’t be the same. And when I listen to the Radio 4 adaptations they just make me miss what the films added. Goldfinger without Connery, Ken Adam, John Barry, Robert Brownjohn? What’s the point?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 14,961

Yes they’d never cast a balding guy as Bond, would they?

f07aba3f96ec19351f679a74d2e65c9f.jpg

:D

That’s all he would do. But yeah, he is really really good looking. Not sure he can turn left though, which would be a problem for the gunbarrel sequence.
    I would doubt Gandy can act and we need an actor to play Bond.

But I get @Univex’s point. Gandy ‘looks’ like a Bond and is certainly more Bondian than 90% of the suggestions on this page.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

But I get @Univex’s point. Gandy ‘looks’ like a Bond and is certainly more Bondian than 90% of the suggestions on this page.

I guess it comes down to personal priorities: does one prefer someone who can pay the part in a movie and be an entertaining presence onscreen or someone who looks good on the poster?
    90%? Really? Would you have rejected Craig if he came up as a photo on here?
    mtm wrote: »

I guess it comes down to personal priorities: does one prefer someone who can pay the part in a movie and be an entertaining presence onscreen or someone who looks good on the poster?

I want both assets you mention. Not one or the other.

But yes, recently 90%.....I’ve seen Diriru, Golding, Chalemet etc all mentioned and they don’t even look like Bond.

I liked Craig, as I’d seen Layer Cake when he was cast. He has both assets you mention too.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

That'd be great, but there is no perfect candidate so you've got to pick your priorities. Personally I'd put 'good experienced lead actor' above 'looks exactly like the guy Fleming described' or 'is the right height' or 'has the right eye colour' etc.
    You have a different opinion on that and that's fine.
    But yes, recently 90%.....I’ve seen Diriru, Golding, Chalemet etc all mentioned and they don’t even look like Bond.

I liked Craig, as I’d seen Layer Cake when he was cast. He has both assets you mention too.

And yet you've rejected many candidates on height, looks etc. I suspect there's some hindsight going on there.

Personally I'm glad that folks like Pierce2Daniel and Denbeigh are thinking around the subject and bringing us interesting possibilities rather than just male models that look right. We may as well be discussing cartoons that would be good at playing Bond! :) How about Sterling Archer?

That'd be great, but there is no perfect candidate so you've got to pick your priorities. Personally I'd put 'good experienced lead actor' above 'looks exactly like the guy Fleming described' or 'is the right height' or 'has the right eye colour' etc.
    You have a different opinion on that and that's fine.

And yet you've rejected many candidates on height, looks etc. I suspect there's some hindsight going on there.

Personally I'm glad that folks like Pierce2Daniel and Denbeigh are thinking around the subject and bringing us interesting possibilities rather than just male models that look right. We may as well be discussing cartoons that would be good at playing Bond! :) How about Sterling Archer?

I take all your points. But we’ve had 6 decent actors who were all excellent in their own way past. They all had both looks and acting ability. Why can’t we have a 7th.

I am an old fashioned ‘stuck in the mud’ when it comes to Bond casting though. No denying that!

But no, I agree, I/ we don’t want just a male model type actor with no acting prowess.

Acting ability and quality is always on the ‘up’ and audiences are more educated/ less forgiving.
    A former male model with a broken nose?! Nah. Yes he has the rugged features and all. If you want a clean-cut lookalike you'll have to pick Henry Cavill.
    I guess this all comes down to personal views on all of it. Some people think Bond is this, some think its that. Perfectly normal. And they keep it close to their hearts, and here they are vocal about it. That's nice :)
    I guess this all comes down to personal views on all of it. Some people think Bond is this, some think its that. Perfectly normal. And they keep it close to their hearts, and here they are vocal about it. That's nice :)

Fleming’s Bond was rugged with a scar down his left cheek. I bet he’d have a broken nose too.

Tatiana said in FRWL the novel; “You look like an American film star.” That will be combined with the above.

Still can’t have a none actor as Bond though mate....even if he looks like Bond personified!
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    It's looking like, for the first time....The role of Bond is there for the taking. Most of these candidates might get it, it's not like when Cubby had his eyes fixed on Dalton or Brosnan. Except Barbara has already, secretly set her sights on an actor like she did with Craig, I think most names mention here stand a chance.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I would be interested to see if people’s top five lists for the next 007 have changed at all during all these discussions
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I would be interested to see if people’s top five lists for the next 007 have changed at all during all these discussions

I had never considered Hoult before reading this thread but he seems most likely to me now.

I had never considered Hoult before reading this thread but he seems most likely to me now.

I’d agree with this. Although he needs to age.
    Hoult's too tall.

Kidding ;)

I'd be fine with Hoult. When he wants to and is given proper material to work with, he's a very good actor. He's a good thespian in every registry, even in comedy.

Ha ha ha! At 6ft 3in he’s nearly too tall!! Ha ha! An inch over Moore and Connery! Fleming had Bond at 6ft....tall for the 50’s. Slightly above UK average now (5ft 10in).

Actually, other objections notwithstanding (and I'm not sure I can see Hoult as Bond), his height could cause issue finding henchmen that would look menacing enough.

Otherwise, he does look a bit young now and not quite masculine enough, although that could change in a few years.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

This and other reasons... is why I think Sam Claflin might be the best option for all of us.

He’s in that sweet spot.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Sorry to double post but it’s funny we just had the Cavill and Claflin discussion. This image for a new Holmes film has just been released haha with both actors :D

JZMA2Qs8wbLLM2mx4PBN4h-1200-80.jpg
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I think the main reason most people aren't entirely sold on Cavill is, he's more comfortable with British roles, where his accent flows easily. Maybe when he tries to be American, most people think he isn't natural....Maybe that's why his Superman has had lukewarm receptions. But I like him and his films.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

This and other reasons... is why I think Sam Claflin might be the best option for all of us.

He’s in that sweet spot.

Not all of us ha ha.