Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I think I need to rewatch Journey’s End :)

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    talos7 wrote: »
    Claflin Is a much better actor than Cavill.

Absolutely. I like Cavill a lot but it's not even close.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    It's actually quite difficult to be worse of an actor than Cavill. My kitchen sink actually agrees.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    I'd never really considered Robert Pattinson before he was cast as Batman. I now think he's such a lost opportunity. He has an edge, is handsome, has great acting chops and would have surely brought something interesting to the role.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    It's actually quite difficult to be worse of an actor than Cavill. My kitchen sink actually agrees.

I don’t particularly want him as Bond. But I thought he was quite good in The Man From Uncle, The Tudors and Man of Steel. He’s got screen presence and charisma.

Even if his acting prowess is less than other thespians, his bank account is pretty impressive.
    suavejmf wrote: »

I don’t particularly want him as Bond. But I thought he was quite good in The Man From Uncle, The Tudors and Man of Steel. He’s got screen presence and charisma.

Even if his acting prowess is less than other thespians, his bank account is pretty impressive.

And what does that have to do with playing Bond?
    M_Blaise wrote: »

I believe his point was that Cavill obviously has "something", otherwise he wouldn't still be popular en masse; his appeal is reflected in his bank account thanks to the fact that he keeps getting high profile gigs and why his name keeps popping up as a suggestion for Bond year on year, despite many (including a lot of people in this thread) not rating him as an actor.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England

I believe his point was that Cavill obviously has "something", otherwise he wouldn't still be popular en masse; his appeal is reflected in his bank account thanks to the fact that he keeps getting high profile gigs and why his name keeps popping up as a suggestion for Bond year on year, despite many (including a lot of people in this thread) not rating him as an actor.

Cavill is a good enough actor. He's in Woody Allen's Whatever Works, which means he has a wider range than his action roles indicate. He is certainly good enough for James Bond. He can't be Bond because he is too over exposed, that's all.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    What are your thoughts on Sam Claflin as a possible candidate @FatherValentine??

Cavill is a good enough actor. He's in Woody Allen's Whatever Works, which means he has a wider range than his action roles indicate. He is certainly good enough for James Bond. He can't be Bond because he is too over exposed, that's all.

Yes, I agree. I quite like him. He's certainly not the most versatile actor in the world but I do find him to be a fairly strong, likeable presence on screen and I hope he gets a proper, old-school adventure as Superman before it's too late.

It goes without saying, of course, that I wouldn't trade Daniel Craig for him!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Yes, I agree. I quite like him. He's certainly not the most versatile actor in the world but I do find him to be a fairly strong, likeable presence on screen and I hope he gets a proper, old-school adventure as Superman before it's too late.

It goes without saying, of course, that I wouldn't trade Daniel Craig for him!
    I enjoyed him in The Man from UNCLE and he was a good villain in Mission Impossible: Fallout, but yeah he’s got Superman and The Witcher - he’ll be fine :)
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Can we please have a Netflix Ian Fleming's James Bond straight adaptation of the novels with this guy? Set in the 50s, of course. With lots of smoking, sex and gratuitous yet stylish violence. He's 40 now. So now's the time to do it. David Arnold, who is always up to it, could score it with original themes. There would be a recurring title sequence with slightly adapted details according to the episode. Wouldn't that be something?

7319709fb7ab8a4e85ff6f54a110c3f1.jpg
    David-Gandy-for-Autograph.jpg
    M%26S+David+Gandy+Tailoring+Collection+5.jpg

7-1931-bentley-4-litre-supercharged-tourer-1531855337.png
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 332

Being in a Woody Allen movie doesn't equal acting talent, he played an English actor whose entire appeal was his looks.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Univex wrote: »
    Can we please have a Netflix Ian Fleming's James Bond straight adaptation of the novels with this guy? Set in the 50s, of course. With lots of smoking, sex and gratuitous yet stylish violence. He's 40 now.

The thread title says 'who should / could be a Bond actor' ;)

Can we please have a Netflix Ian Fleming's James Bond straight adaptation of the novels with this guy? Set in the 50s, of course. With lots of smoking, sex and gratuitous yet stylish violence. He's 40 now. So now's the time to do it. David Arnold, who is always up to it, could score it with original themes. There would be a recurring title sequence with slightly adapted details according to the episode. Wouldn't that be something?

Oh yes, @Univex. That makes me giddy!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Is this guy British and has he ever acted?
    A 60’s era series with him is intriguing.

Ubber British. He's the best known and first male supermodel. He has directed some stuff and I reckon he could act. He's a big Jaguar/classic car enthusiast, has run the mille miglia twice, and is known to be a good chap. And he has the voice for it.

I say, get Moffat and Gatiss to adapt the novels for TV format (yes, yes, I'm aware of the risks here), get Murray Gold for the music, get the Bentley Blower, an array of brilliant British TV supporting actors and actresses, heck, get Dame Bassey for the song. Cmon, just do it.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Ubber British. He's the best known and first male supermodel. He has directed some stuff and I reckon he could act. He's a big Jaguar/classic car enthusiast, has run the mille miglia twice, and is known to be a good chap. And he has the voice for it.

If Lazenby could do it, he could do it. :P

Bring him on for three and do a proper Blofeld Trilogy.

Being in a Woody Allen movie doesn't equal acting talent, he played an English actor whose entire appeal was his looks.

I was challenging the received wisdom on this site that Cavill is a uniquely untalented actor on par with people's kitchen cupboards. He's not. He's more than good enough to be in a James Bond film - which requires a particular style of acting that he is perfectly adept at.

I reckon 8 or 10 brilliantly written and produced episodes could make for a good impression on the novels. It could very well be a stylish affair that would ignite a whole new respect for the literary character and books.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

I reckon 8 or 10 brilliantly written and produced episodes could make for a good impression on the novels. It could very well be a stylish affair that would ignite a whole new respect for the literary character and books.

Something about Gandy’s look makes me think he’d look amazing immersed in Japanese culture.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I have to say he really projects an Alpha-Male vibe that suits Bond.

Something about Gandy’s look makes me think he’d look amazing immersed in Japanese culture.

Yes, I thought the same. He would fit in in all of the exotic narratives Fleming conjured. He's for Britain what Jon Hamm is for America, an old school type.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on Sam Claflin as a possible candidate @FatherValentine??

Not quite there for me based on the stills. But he's in the mix. Not seen him act so not sure at this stage.

Don't think there is a single actor who has it all around at the minute. EON will have to pick a 'type' and then build the next series around him - beefy, slight, edgy, young etc. All could work, but it will need more forethought than previously.

This model guy who everyone is posting looks sensational I have to say. But it won't happen, so no point in thinking about it. But he is Bond in those pictures.

I am completely depressed by what Bond could be moving forward, so I don't really have clarity at the moment.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Yeah unfortunately as cool and fun as a television series would be. I don’t think EON will ever sacrifice the money they’re making to pursue this, even if it was going to be a side thing, they’ll want one actor. Plus, as has been mentioned, as good as he looks, Gandy is not an actor, and not someone I’d have lead a television series or franchise.
    I am completely depressed by what Bond could be moving forward, so I don't really have clarity at the moment.

I do understand you. That's the reason I started advocating for a different direction with the straight adaptation of the novels for a new format, and for Gandy as Bond in his 40s. That would be Bond heaven for me. None of this Bond Jr. Y gen self censored unrecognisable crap.

There are, of course, those who prefer to set it in modern times with a black James Bond, just because why not?, or an American skinny teenager playing Bond just because he's sooooo cute.

I, for one, do not fit in these surrealist approaches to it. But hey, what can we do, right?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    A “younger” Bond doesn’t have to mean completely different from the source material. I think having a “younger” actor (Callum, Aaron, Sam) would be a good way to freshen things up while still exploring the character we know and love in classic adventures in a modern setting.
    I, for one, hate the idea of a young Bond. Always have. Always will. It worked for Craig because he never seemed young in the first place.

James Bond is a man's role. Not a boy's.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I, for one, hate the idea of a young Bond. Always have. Always will. It worked for Craig because he never seemed young in the first place.

James Bond is a man's role. Not a boy's.
    More power to you my friend, but I still think you could be pleasantly surprised by some of the names put forward - especially seeing as we’re probably looking at more than a few years till anyone’s considered or cast - so a lot can happen in that time. Claflin, for example, will be closer to being 40 by the time Bond 26 I imagine sees the light.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 8,034

I would say a mini-series of 4-5 hour long episodes, personally. I would be afraid 8-10 might be stretching it, and then we'd have the obligatory "filler" made of things that are not from the novels intended to pad out the runtime, such as the inevitable episode told from Mary Goodnight's perspective! ;)