Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Denbigh wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    I would be interested to see if people’s top five lists for the next 007 have changed at all during all these discussions

I had never considered Hoult before reading this thread but he seems most likely to me now.

I’d agree with this. Although he needs to age.
    This and other reasons... is why I think Sam Claflin might be the best option for all of us.

He’s in that sweet spot.

Not all of us ha ha.

Believe me, NO ONE is going to please ALL of us.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,869
    talos7 wrote: »
    I would be interested to see if people’s top five lists for the next 007 have changed at all during all these discussions

I had never considered Hoult before reading this thread but he seems most likely to me now.

I’d agree with this. Although he needs to age.
    This and other reasons... is why I think Sam Claflin might be the best option for all of us.

He’s in that sweet spot.

Not all of us ha ha.

Believe me, NO ONE is going to please ALL of us.
    +1
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I think the main reason most people aren't entirely sold on Cavill is, he's more comfortable with British roles, where his accent flows easily. Maybe when he tries to be American, most people think he isn't natural....Maybe that's why his Superman has had lukewarm receptions. But I like him and his films.

Agreed, I’d say.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Sorry to double post but it’s funny we just had the Cavill and Claflin discussion. This image for a new Holmes film has just been released haha with both actors :D

JZMA2Qs8wbLLM2mx4PBN4h-1200-80.jpg

Ha! How funny.

Another Holmes film?!

When you say most likely, what does that mean? You have no idea what the people involved are thinking.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    M_Blaise wrote: »

When you say most likely, what does that mean? You have no idea what the people involved are thinking.

I guess, but I think they're most likely to go with someone the right age and the right kind of look with a good experience of being in movies and good acting ability.
    But then I need to look into Claflin a bit more, I don't know much about him but he seems a strong candidate.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    @mtm I recommend The Riot Club, Journey’s End and the fifth season of Peaky Blinders. I think he could definitely nail the duality of Bond. The man who can charm you and then kill you in the same breathe.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, I have a lot of Peaky Blinders to get through! :)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Sorry to double post but it’s funny we just had the Cavill and Claflin discussion. This image for a new Holmes film has just been released haha with both actors :D

JZMA2Qs8wbLLM2mx4PBN4h-1200-80.jpg

Ha! How funny.

Another Holmes film?!

This ones about their sister? :P
    Yes, I have a lot of Peaky Blinders to get through! :)

It’s very good.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 4,400
    People saying Chalamet doesn't look as though he could feasibly attract women are dead wrong. He's dated Lily Rose Depp and is now seeing Eiza Gonzalez.....this guy has it going on.

1423888277cf6f7e-gif-hunts-eiza-gonzalez-gif-hunt-under-the-cut-you-ll.gif

Top-30-Eiza-Gonzalez-Hot-Photos.jpg

Chalamet for Bond!!!

Screen-Shot-2019-10-23-at-1.20.45-pm-1024x711.png

I’ve said that I.can see it but man he needs more than 5 more years of maturity , 10 at least. I’m too old to wait a decade for the next Bond. Lol
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited June 2020 Posts: 8,046
    Fair play for pulling an older woman - especially when that woman is Ms. González - but seriously, Chalamet is 24 years old. I get that he's hot shit at the moment, but really? If he's still a worthwhile property in 10 years, I might be able to take that one seriously. Until then, no thank you.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Chalamet is a future Bond villain I’d be intrigued by, but he’s not 007.
    Bond cannot be a twink. Timmy has to wait at least a decade before he can be considered.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    People saying Chalamet doesn't look as though he could feasibly attract women are dead wrong. He's dated Lily Rose Depp and is now seeing Eiza Gonzalez.....this guy has it going on.

Looking at them together, it looks like she could beat him up. :)

timothee-chalamet-eiza-gonzalez-june-2020-61.jpg
    And not break a sweat...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Chalamet is a future Bond villain I’d be intrigued by, but he’s not 007.

Agreed. He’s a good young actor. But his look is not one that I picture as James Bond.
    Potential villain down the road.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    He literally looks like a quire boy and it seems like he will remain that way for the next 10 years. Repeating the same names time and time again doesn't increase their chances. The contrary actually.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,131
    He literally looks like a quire boy and it seems like he will remain that way for the next 10 years. Repeating the same names time and time again doesn't increase their chances. The contrary actually.

He’s also American (no thanks) and looks like an extra from Harry Potters School. Repeating the unsuitable pictures just reinforces the unsuitability of the ‘boy’ as well. He’s a good actor, but nothing like the image of a Bond.

Just for one minute imagine the ‘backlash’ from the ‘evil’ British Press! It would show a picture of Chamalet (like the poolside one above) and the HEADLINE would read something like;

ICONIC BRITISH CHARACTER RECAST: ENGLISH HUNK CRAIG REPLACED BY SKINNY LITTLE YANK! BOX OFFICE BRAUN TO LIMP WRISTED BOX OFFICE BOMB?

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Just take out the moustache...

1818_PB5_17DEC18RV-b6a408a.jpg?quality=90&lb=940,626&background=white

A more sensible suggestion certainly. I think worth a screen test.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

I can’t lie I’m starting to warm to Claflin more than Callum I think. I didn’t even know that was possible haha :D
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria

Yeah, Screentest Worthy.

I can’t lie I’m starting to warm to Claflin more than Callum I think. I didn’t even know that was possible haha :D
    😳
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    talos7 wrote: »

😳
    Callum’s still a very close second @talos7, but I don’t know, even down to his voice, I can see Claflin playing James Bond. I can even hear him saying the iconic line.

Good. He’s much more suitable IMO.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 4,400

This! This is the problem!

Sensible does not work!! People said the same when Craig was cast, 'he looks more like a villain, etc'. In fact, even Debbie McWilliams in the 'Becoming Bond' documentary on the CR DVD said as much. It was Barbara who saw Craig's potential...that he had a rugged, masculine edgy.

The new Bond can't be a retread. He would have to be different - the slightly more thoughtful, brooding leading man is what is striking a chord with younger audiences today.

In 2006, Eon were very successful in getting those younger audiences interested. However, those who were 12-15 are now in their late 20's/early 30's. I know as i was one of them! They now need to get a new generation excited and changing the leading man is a great opportunity to do that.

I think Robert Pattinson would have been perfect for this new breed of leading man. However, he's Batman. Therefore, Eon need someone in a similar vein. I'll be the first to admit that Chalamet probably isn't 'The Guy', but someone like him.....

timothee-chalamet-attends-the-43rd-annual-los-angeles-film-news-photo-904663352-1563560809.jpg?resize=480:*
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,060

This! This is the problem!

Sensible does not work!!

Yeah I don't think it helps to try and constantly shut every suggestion down by calling them not 'sensible' or 'limp wristed' or 'surreal' or whatever unpleasant language a small amount of folks are determined to keep using (whilst simultaneously insisting they're being 'polite and respectful'). Just say you don't agree and move on.

I'm enjoying your suggestions, Pierce2Daniel. It's good to think around the subject a little.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

In 2006, Eon were very successful in getting those younger audiences interested. However, those who were 12-15 are now in their late 20's/early 30's. I know as i was one of them! They now need to get a new generation excited and changing the leading man is a great opportunity to do that.[/img]
    Well @Pierce2Daniel, I actually think my main four names fit with your description of what’s needed, but they also fit enough into what classic fans want, which is what I think EON need to do.

They need to appeal to the younger audiences, but they also need to make sure they’re still representing the classic fandom. Craig was a new (controversial) choice, but eventually to the fans, he represented a Bond that was closer to the novels; maybe not in his look, but certainly in his characterisation.

This time why not have actors that look the part, but have enough edge and popularity to appeal to younger audiences.

These names could be what’s needed to appeal to younger audiences, with all of them appearing in some kind of popular modern entertainment. Skins, Hunger Games, Fantastic Beasts, and Avengers.

1) Sam Claflin
    2) Callum Turner
    3) Aaron Taylor-Johnson
    4) Sean Teale