Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

ToTheRight wrote: »
    Turner does look damn good in a suit.

He does, but I keep expecting him to say "Yes, Lord Sugar."
    TripAces wrote: »
    I'm not sure Turner has the credits. While DC was a relative unknown, he did have some pretty meaty roles in big films, such as Road to Perdition and Munich. Turner is still trafficking in total obscurity, known only by British TV audiences. (Obscurity is good, but too much can be a detriment.)

I really like Jamie Dornan, and had he not gone into Christian Grey territory, he'd be a favorite. But I can't see EON going with an actor that audiences see on screen and say, "That's the Fifty Shades of Grey guy."

Ditto Henry Cavill, to a higher degree. He's Superman. Done.

Robert Pattinson is another one. I really think he had a good shot at this. Now he's Batman. Done.

Hiddleston is too old, folks. So are Fassbender and Elba. Both would be great in a one-off. But we know that that is not in the cards. They're out.

Based on look, credits, and "some" obscurity, my top three are Norton, Madden, and dark horse Jeremy Irvine (posted earlier). I prefer Irvine only because he's 4-5 years younger than Norton and Madden and could grow with the role a little longer--but this is a personal preference. At the rate we are going, Bond 26 will be out in 2023 or 2024. Norton and Madden will be pushing 40 by that time. Just something to consider.

I don't see it for Irvine according to the pics I saw, but in a few years maybe. I do agree that they'll go for a relatively obscure actor.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Nearly every suggestion on this page has been compared to Turner in some shape or form as if he is somehow James Bond by default.

Well, I don't think it will be Turner. As I've said before, he just doesn't fit with Eon's 'critically acclaimed actor' image that I think they've got going on.

The reason he's got such a buzz on Bond forums is because of the one advantage he's had over everyone else: the production team for And Then There Were None made that miniseries practically an audition tape for Bond.
    RilIR5F.jpg
    I mean, they gave him the haircut from the Fleming books, they did the drinking and smoking and carrying a gun; they even put in a scene that we know all Bond actor's must perform in order to land the role: the actor must perform a scene with an actress whilst wearing only a towel. We know this is part of the audition process, it's been mentioned more than once. I don't imagine this happened simply by chance. Someone either wanted to give Turner a boost in that direction, or they felt showing Turner in that light would be get the miniseries a lot of column inches in the papers.

Whatever the reason, no one has to stretch their imaginations much for Turner in the role, it's right there with practically "hey look, kids, it's Fleming's Bond!" flashing on the screen all over its runtime.

Cavil and Fassbender have had Bondish roles which have given their candidacies a boost, but Turner's ATTWN role seemed to be directly targeting fans of Fleming's Bond. It has given him an advantage on Bond forums. I don't think it's enough to get him onto Eon's shortlist, though. Not without a performance in his filmography garnering critical buzz, imo.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I like Madden as an actor. Loved his intensity in Bodyguard. And I think Hoult is exceptionally talented, has a great CV, and is growing into leading man looks.

Aidan Turner, in my opinion, is a very handsome man, but I've only seen him as a TV actor, and; the things I've seen him in are period pieces where he's kind of the same bloke (with a tendency to over act, mug and snarl, instead of just "being", ). Not a bad actor, but he has a sameness in everything he does that diminishes his presence-- in my eyes.

In the end, this is all a fun game, and I highly doubt any of us will be correct on guessing who the next Bond will be.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    If Aidan saw the gushing that goes on in this thread by some he'd be applying for several restraining orders.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited June 2020 Posts: 1,318
    Nearly every suggestion on this page has been compared to Turner in some shape or form as if he is somehow James Bond by default.

Well, I don't think it will be Turner. As I've said before, he just doesn't fit with Eon's 'critically acclaimed actor' image that I think they've got going on.

The reason he's got such a buzz on Bond forums is because of the one advantage he's had over everyone else: the production team for And Then There Were None made that miniseries practically an audition tape for Bond.
    RilIR5F.jpg
    I mean, they gave him the haircut from the Fleming books, they did the drinking and smoking and carrying a gun; they even put in a scene that we know all Bond actor's must perform in order to land the role: the actor must perform a scene with an actress whilst wearing only a towel. We know this is part of the audition process, it's been mentioned more than once. I don't imagine this happened simply by chance. Someone either wanted to give Turner a boost in that direction, or they felt showing Turner in that light would be get the miniseries a lot of column inches in the papers.

Whatever the reason, no one has to stretch their imaginations much for Turner in the role, it's right there with practically "hey look, kids, it's Fleming's Bond!" flashing on the screen all over its runtime.

Cavil and Fassbender have had Bondish roles which have given their candidacies a boost, but Turner's ATTWN role seemed to be directly targeting fans of Fleming's Bond. It has given him an advantage on Bond forums. I don't think it's enough to get him onto Eon's shortlist, though. Not without a performance in his filmography garnering critical buzz, imo.

Somehow I have the feeling you have been roaming around these boards far longer than your account tells me. I won't make furter comments about it, but it raises my eyebrow (again).

I wholeheartedly disagree with mostly everything you've stated, but that shouldn't come as a surprise. Turner is quite a good actor actually, certainly good enough for Bond. He has all the right ingredients quite frankly, which is a rarity. Bond consists of a formula and only a handful of gents can emulate it, as they fit this formula to a tee. To me only Turner has this (genetic) formula right now. All the others mentioned here, not really, save from Fassbender perhaps.

I wouldn't be surprised if he lands the role, I am that convinced.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    If Aidan saw the gushing that goes on in this thread by some he'd be applying for several restraining orders.

Quite sure he'd have a Guiness with 'us'. He's a good lad, Turner. Your bitterness doesn't taste as good as a Guinness, dear Shardlake.
    Delete

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I think at this stage, Barbara and Michael must have at least, known their Top 10 choices for Bond....even if they're likely to look at another 200 British names again. Until other names start surfacing, I think right now, I'll go with Callum Turner....there's something TIMOTHY DALTONISH about him, of course am not saying he's as good as Dalton....I think he does look like Dalton in a way(Turner might bring back Bond's Hair Comma)....and who knows he might be as good as Dalton if picked.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I think at this stage, Barbara and Michael must have at least, known their Top 10 choices for Bond....even if they're likely to look at another 200 British names again. Until other names start surfacing, I think right now, I'll go with Callum Turner....there's something TIMOTHY DALTONISH about him, of course am not saying he's as good as Dalton....I think he does look like Dalton in a way(Turner might bring back Bond's Hair Comma)....and who knows he might be as good as Dalton if picked.

As someone who is a fan of Dalton I don't see any resemblance in callum . Aidan reminds me a bit of Dalton more than callum.

As someone who is a fan of Dalton I don't see any resemblance in callum . Aidan reminds me a bit of Dalton more than callum.

This :D
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Somehow I have the feeling you have been roaming around these boards far longer than your account tells me. I won't make furter comments about it, but it raises my eyebrow (again).
    I've been lurking here for a while, probably since the last trailer dropped (March? I can't remember). I've discussed the subject of Bond and Bond casting on other boards, though. I don't think with anybody here, but I don't know. Generally I change my screenname from board to board simply to minimise the chance of someone e-stalking me across the net because I once said Batman couldn't beat the Flash in a fight, or something.

If you think I'm trying to start trouble or pursue some sort of larger agenda, I can only tell you I'm not. And if I say something that offends anyone, I'm always willing to apologise or talk it over. I get that this is a subject which people get quite passionate about, and I knew that this board in particular could be a bit of a minefield before I eventually signed up.
    I wholeheartedly disagree with mostly everything you've stated, but that shouldn't come as a surprise. Turner is quite a good actor actually, certainly good enough for Bond.
    I don't disagree with that. I like Turner, I've watched him in Being Human, And Then There Were None, and Poldark. I think he's plenty good enough to play the part. I actually think most of the candidates are good enough actors to play the role. I just think Eon have got a little pretentious and will want someone with some critically acclaimed film roles. I could be completely wrong about their thinking, though. And it is always possible one of Turner's current projects might garner critical acclaim anyway, and position him in their sights.

Anyway, peace.
    I've been lurking here for a while, probably since the last trailer dropped (March? I can't remember). I've discussed the subject of Bond and Bond casting on other boards, though. I don't think with anybody here, but I don't know. Generally I change my screenname from board to board simply to minimise the chance of someone e-stalking me across the net because I once said Batman couldn't beat the Flash in a fight, or something.

If you think I'm trying to start trouble or pursue some sort of larger agenda, I can only tell you I'm not. And if I say something that offends anyone, I'm always willing to apologise or talk it over. I get that this is a subject which people get quite passionate about, and I knew that this board in particular could be a bit of a minefield before I eventually signed up.
    I wholeheartedly disagree with mostly everything you've stated, but that shouldn't come as a surprise. Turner is quite a good actor actually, certainly good enough for Bond.
    I don't disagree with that. I like Turner, I've watched him in Being Human, And Then There Were None, and Poldark. I think he's plenty good enough to play the part. I actually think most of the candidates are good enough actors to play the role. I just think Eon have got a little pretentious and will want someone with some critically acclaimed film roles. I could be completely wrong about their thinking, though. And it is always possible one of Turner's current projects might garner critical acclaim anyway, and position him in their sights.

Anyway, peace.

Sensible post. Cheers to that, sir!
    I wasn't convinced by Turner in ATTWN. I don't mean for Bond, but for Philip Lombard. He was a tad too handsome and too soft. He looked good, he did play the role closer to Bond as other roles he played (heck I suggested his name as a potential Bond after seeing him in the miniseries), but he lacked the predatory cruelty of Lombard, who is basically meant to be an amoral white adventurer who feels no remorse about letting a dozen men die. He looked too youthful, not seasoned enough for the role.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,043

RilIR5F.jpg

I wholeheartedly disagree with mostly everything you've stated, but that shouldn't come as a surprise. Turner is quite a good actor actually, certainly good enough for Bond. He has all the right ingredients quite frankly, which is a rarity. Bond consists of a formula and only a handful of gents can emulate it, as they fit this formula to a tee. To me only Turner has this (genetic) formula right now. All the others mentioned here, not really, save from Fassbender perhaps.

Quite sure he'd have a Guiness with 'us'. He's a good lad, Turner. Your bitterness doesn't taste as good as a Guinness, dear Shardlake.

Are you sure you could control yourself in his presence you seem completely in his awe. I understand liking someone for the role but you seemed obsessed with the idea.

To the point you see no one else in the role, it is going to be a real downer when he isn't cast.

Like I've said before Aidan Turner is the new Clive Owen.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,834
    Haha and a good choice it is @GadgetMan, I think he'd be great, and seems right up EON's street :D
    Regardless of whether he looks like anyone, he's certainly got potential.
    I completely agree @Shardlake

RilIR5F.jpg

Are you sure you could control yourself in his presence you seem completely in his awe. I understand liking someone for the role but you seemed obsessed with the idea.

To the point you see no one else in the role, it is going to be a real downer when he isn't cast.

You seem to exaggerate a lot. I'll leave it at that for tonight. The wise thing to do.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    To be honest there isn't one name here (apart from Hiddleston and Elba) that I wouldn't let audition, at least.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @JeremyBondon : your words:
    just a tongue in cheek remark. Some people are so stiff around here. Relax.

I think @Shardlake was having a little fun at your expense, is all. Relax. It's a joke. You love AT and you have been his biggest advocate. So take the jabs that will come with that.

peter wrote: »
    @JeremyBondon : your words:
    just a tongue in cheek remark. Some people are so stiff around here. Relax.

I think @Shardlake was having a little fun at your expense, is all. Relax. It's a joke. You love AT and you have been his biggest advocate. So take the jabs that will come with that.

Perhaps you should mind your own business Peter, as Shardlake has been taking "jabs" for a long long time now. In that case (same old) jokes time and time again take the form of bullying, or so it seems. Also, I do not love Turner, what are you on about? If I am his biggest advocate so be it, I consider it an honour.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    C'mon, @JeremyBondon ... it's a joke. That's it. Nothing more. Nothing less. You told people to not be so "stiff" about this stuff...

When I say you love Turner, what'd you think I'm going on about, man? That you love him as I love Craig and Connery. I honestly don't know why your back is up there...

And yes, you're an advocate and people will sling some arrows your way in good fun. I saw nothing that @Shardlake said was untoward, or bullying.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,518
    @JeremyBondon I shared my opinion that I don't see Turner as a commanding presence, and you responded by saying you "see better" than I do. I know it was just a snide comment and not your genuine thought, but you really seem to get defensive when others have an opinion that you don't share. You need to realize people are going to have different opinions and they're all just as valid as the next. You dish out a lot of bull****, then refuse to take it yourself.
    I keep telling myself I'm no longer going to participate in this dumpster fire of a thread, but I keep coming back for more punishment. ;)
    MdL wrote: »
    I would like to see Cillian Murphy take the mantle, he could take the character even more darker than Craig.

He's 44, sadly. Which will work against him....however, I totally agree. He would bring a real darkness to Bond. Something tormented and broken. But also he's just so damn cool as Tommy Shelby. That role was a huge departure for him as well. He wasn't really known as an iconic swaggering leading man before it. So it just goes to show how talented he is.

So menacing, yet so sexy.

3a3c05ac21b782fa077bea54dbdcb6ea862caf6d.gifv

He's actually rather short as well at 5′ 9″ - which gives me hope that Jack O'Connell might still bag the role. Tommy Shelby does not seem like a small man.

3c7ee5bb4ae63a0be97f1f8bb1ca17c0.jpg

You have your wish on page 103 of the 2017 Folio editon of Moonraker!

IMG-6735.jpg
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @JeremyBondon I shared my opinion that I don't see Turner as a commanding presence, and you responded by saying you "see better" than I do. I know it was just a snide comment and not your genuine thought, but you really seem to get defensive when others have an opinion that you don't share. You need to realize people are going to have different opinions and they're all just as valid as the next. You dish out a lot of bull****, then refuse to take it yourself.
    I keep telling myself I'm no longer going to participate in this dumpster fire of a thread, but I keep coming back for more punishment. ;)

@NickTwentyTwo: you're being sensible, and I concur.

Honestly, I think A. Turner is an "okay" actor. A little too pantomime for my tastes. I like other actors ahead of him, and for honest reasons.

But in the end, we likely will all be wrong with who will be the next 007, so; all opinions should be shared and not shut-down.

If one is confident that his/her choice is a given, they shouldn't be so sensitive.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    People propose candidates here, for present consideration or for musings about what could have been. Then it gets condoned by some and shut down by others, It is the nature of this thread. Nothing to get worked up about.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    People propose candidates here, for present consideration or for musings about what could have been. Then it gets condoned by some and shut down by others, It is the nature of this thread. Nothing to get worked up about.

@Thunderfinger ... absolutely.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    shamanimal wrote: »
    MdL wrote: »
    I would like to see Cillian Murphy take the mantle, he could take the character even more darker than Craig.

He's 44, sadly. Which will work against him....however, I totally agree. He would bring a real darkness to Bond. Something tormented and broken. But also he's just so damn cool as Tommy Shelby. That role was a huge departure for him as well. He wasn't really known as an iconic swaggering leading man before it. So it just goes to show how talented he is.

So menacing, yet so sexy.

3a3c05ac21b782fa077bea54dbdcb6ea862caf6d.gifv

He's actually rather short as well at 5′ 9″ - which gives me hope that Jack O'Connell might still bag the role. Tommy Shelby does not seem like a small man.

3c7ee5bb4ae63a0be97f1f8bb1ca17c0.jpg

You have your wish on page 103 of the 2017 Folio editon of Moonraker!

IMG-6735.jpg

These O’Connell picks don’t show anything remotely Bondian to me. Plus he’s 5ft 7in.....so I hope there’s no chance anyhow.
    C'mon, @JeremyBondon ... it's a joke. That's it. Nothing more. Nothing less. You told people to not be so "stiff" about this stuff...

When I say you love Turner, what'd you think I'm going on about, man? That you love him as I love Craig and Connery. I honestly don't know why your back is up there...

And yes, you're an advocate and people will sling some arrows your way in good fun. I saw nothing that @Shardlake said was untoward, or bullying.

Peter you're sticking up for a guy who does almost nothing other than make snide remarks, especially in this thread. There is a nuance between myself making a tongue in cheek joke and a guy who keeps repeating the same "joke" over a stretch of time. Not difficult to comprehend. Perhaps you haven't noticed. I have and am sure others have as well.

I can you tell you one thing, I certainly love Connery and Dalton a lot more than Turner. The latter needs to prove himself in a Bond film first.

Like I have explained a few times now, there is nothing wrong with a one time tongue in cheek remark. Whether it's you, me, or whoever. Nothing, as long as it's meant in jest. However if I kept on nagging you months about that same "joke", it wouldn't be a joke anymore, it would be, as I stated before, become bullying. There are shades of gray in this world, nuance, this being one of them.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 658
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

RilIR5F.jpg

I’ve never seen ATTWN. I’ve mainly seen Turner in Poldark. He just seems to me to be a much better suggestion than most of the other so called candidates.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    suavejmf wrote: »

RilIR5F.jpg

He just seems to me to be a much better suggestion than most of the other so called candidates.
    See the problem isn't thinking he's a better suggestion, but calling other people choices "so called" is.

It feels elitist.

Peter you're sticking up for a guy who does almost nothing other than make snide remarks, especially in this thread. There is a nuance between myself making a tongue in cheek joke and a guy who keeps repeating the same "joke" over a stretch of time. Not difficult to comprehend. Perhaps you haven't noticed. I have and am sure others have as well.

I can you tell you one thing, I certainly love Connery and Dalton a lot more than Turner. The latter needs to prove himself in a Bond film first.

Like I have explained a few times now, there is nothing wrong with a one time tongue in cheek remark. Whether it's you, me, or whoever. Nothing, as long as it's meant in jest. However if I kept on nagging you months about that same "joke", it wouldn't be a joke anymore, it would be, as I stated before, become bullying. There are shades of gray in this world, nuance, this being one of them.

I was only having a bit of fun with you, obviously some gentle jesting is too strong, sorry to offend you.