Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Based on that clip, he needs to age another 10 years to (perhaps) look convincing.
    That's fair. It was 2/3 years ago though, so 7/8 more years - can't wait haha :)
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

That means Bond 26 won't come out before 2028. :D

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I mean who knows what's gonna happen; although realistically, I think Callum could easily "develop" into even more of a leading man in say four/five years, which is how long I'm guessing we're gonna wait. Like I've said before, I wouldn't cast him tomorrow.
    a friend of a friend who knows a guy says Babs hates Hiddleston so sadly I don't think he will be 007
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I mean who knows what's gonna happen; although realistically, I think Callum could easily "develop" into even more of a leading man in say four/five years, which is how long I'm guessing we're gonna wait. Like I've said before, I wouldn't cast him tomorrow.

Now i am pretty sure @Denbigh work for callum. He has been secretly assigned to promote him wherever possible so one day Barbara sees him as potential candidate :P
  • MdLMdL Australia
    I would like to see Cillian Murphy take the mantle, he could take the character even more darker than Craig.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Now i am pretty sure @Denbigh work for callum. He has been secretly assigned to promote him wherever possible so one day Barbara sees him as potential candidate :P
    Hahaha I wish :D
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    MdL wrote: »
    I would like to see Cillian Murphy take the mantle, he could take the character even more darker than Craig.

Yeah it's not been one I've quite seen, but he does dominate Peaky Blinders in a very cool way and women do like him, so I wouldn't say he's wrong for it at all.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    The issue with Murphy is his age, currently 44, and Peaky Blinders - he's already very well known in that role, and would be hard to establish him as a James Bond that's separate from Tommy Shelby.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 4,400
    MdL wrote: »

He's 44, sadly. Which will work against him....however, I totally agree. He would bring a real darkness to Bond. Something tormented and broken. But also he's just so damn cool as Tommy Shelby. That role was a huge departure for him as well. He wasn't really known as an iconic swaggering leading man before it. So it just goes to show how talented he is.

So menacing, yet so sexy.

3a3c05ac21b782fa077bea54dbdcb6ea862caf6d.gifv

He's actually rather short as well at 5′ 9″ - which gives me hope that Jack O'Connell might still bag the role. Tommy Shelby does not seem like a small man.

3c7ee5bb4ae63a0be97f1f8bb1ca17c0.jpg
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 6,677
    If age wasn't an issue, I'd rather have Evans in the role, who is 41.

Hey, the picture is the first one you get when you google the guy. Whatcanyado?

22961042-0-image-a-32_1578078337500.jpg

2331a5e9ec24670fe74ef62e03605534.jpg

page_1.jpg
    Something I find funny about half the photos being shared here... what's with all the raised forehead gestures? Is this a standard male modeling look... trying to look tough and skeptical?
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    There is only one Turner and that is Aidan Turner. Handsome bastard.
    aidan-turner-winner-of-the-impact-award-attends-the-21st-national-picture-id505902454?s=2048x2048
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,869
    There is only one Turner and that is Aidan Turner. Handsome bastard.
    There's me as well :) My surname is actually Turner. Also let us not forget...
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 17,291
    Univex wrote: »

page_1.jpg

Evans is the only non-Bond actor I've pictured when reading Bond novels. Easily my favourite for the role, but shame about the age.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Also gonna bring this guy back into the fold. Ben Aldridge.

2f31f60aa19045a061815f0e859d8397.jpg
    PW_S1_Ben_Club_4360.jpg
    BQ4A9066.jpg?format=2500w

Also had anyone considered Luke Pasqualino?

ourgirl0111.jpg

page_1.jpg

Evans is the only non-Bond actor I've pictured when reading Bond novels. Easily my favourite for the role, but shame about the age.

Absolutely. If only they'd drop this "young hero" fashion thing Hollywood has going on since 2005's Batman... And started doing Bond films with a seasoned agent. Three films per actor. I'd be fine with that. Standalone adventures on a single geography and culture, with a single very well defined theme. Bond as lone agent sent to investigate. Oh, one can dream.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

page_1.jpg

Absolutely. If only they'd drop this "young hero" fashion thing Hollywood has going on since 2005's Batman... And started doing Bond films with a seasoned agent. Three films per actor. I'd be fine with that. Standalone adventures on a single geography and culture, with a single very well defined theme. Bond as lone agent sent to investigate. Oh, one can dream.
    You never know @Univex, you never know. I mean my personal guess based on where we've been for the past 14 years (and counting), is that they'll want to go with someone a bit fresher and possibly younger, but again you never know, they may want to go for a more seasoned approach with an actor like Evans...

...although I do think what they've been exploring will come into play as from Skyfall to No Time to Die (it seems) we have the whole seasoned agent thing being tested narratively and thematically, so I don't know if they'll want do it again - even if a bit differently.

page_1.jpg

Completely agree. I have little interest watching a "becoming Bond" type film (or films). Give us a Bond in his prime from film number one, I'd say.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

page_1.jpg

Completely agree. I have little interest watching a "becoming Bond" type film (or films). Give us a Bond in his prime from film number one, I'd say.

+1.
    That's why we need a guy of around 35, so he'll be +- 40 when he gets his first gig.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 14,957
    I'll take O'Connell over Evans: he's a stronger presence on film.
    The issue with Murphy is his age, currently 44

Ah, I didn't realise. Shame.

page_1.jpg

Connery was 32 when he started. I've not seen anyone complain he was too young.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited June 2020 Posts: 8,034

page_1.jpg

I wasn't sure on Evans until I saw him in No One Lives. He, quite literally, killed it there. Absolutely believable as a charming killer. A cool, calculating posterior masking a ticking timebomb underneath. He'd be great.
    mtm wrote: »

I think he meant in the context of the story, not so much the actor's ages. And in that respect Connery was playing Bond as a seasoned agent. It wasn't his first rodeo.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

page_1.jpg

I wasn't sure on Evans until I saw him in No One Lives. He, quite literally, killed it there. Absolutely believable as a charming killer. A cool, calculating posterior masking a ticking timebomb underneath. He'd be great.

Ah okay, I need to see that then. I've not seen be good in anything yet but if he's good in that then fair enough.

I think he meant in the context of the story, not so much the actor's ages. And in that respect Connery was playing Bond as a seasoned agent. It wasn't his first rodeo.

Oh okay when he said 'young hero' I thought he was talking about age. I don't think we're ever likely to get a totally green Bond because he has to be fairly experienced to get to double-o level.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think you can still cast a younger actor (30s) and not do an origin story.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    You can, and they have. But I do think there is a tendency to want to show a character developing and learning in some way, and Bond getting the job is a natural story to tell to do that. But then they have gone down that route so I'm not sure they will do it again, unless they can think of a totally different and interesting way of doing it. And if they can then fair enough.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 1,318
    Connery already looked seasoned at age 20 LOL
    edited June 2020 Posts: 8,034

page_1.jpg

Ah okay, I need to see that then. I've not seen be good in anything yet but if he's good in that then fair enough.

Really? I've always thought he was pretty good in most things. Maybe in need of a new agent to help pick better projects, for sure - there's not too many, if any, films on his resumé that one could label as excellent - but rarely bad himself. But anyway, yes, I liked him very much in that film in particular. The film itself was nothing to write home about - some weird and wonderful sequences aside. It leans heavily into its schlocky slasher horror inspirations. If that type of thing is your type of thing, you might get some primal enjoyment out of it.
    You can, and they have. But I do think there is a tendency to want to show a character developing and learning in some way, and Bond getting the job is a natural story to tell to do that. But then they have gone down that route so I'm not sure they will do it again, unless they can think of a totally different and interesting way of doing it. And if they can then fair enough.

Yes, I certainly think they'll try and show a "new side" to the character with every iteration, and the next will be no different. It likely won't be as radical as Craig, but it'll still be present throughout the films so audiences can develop an attachment with that particular actor.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I think Evans is mostly focusing on his singing career at this point?
    I think Evans is mostly focusing on his singing career at this point?

He sings? I didn't know that!