Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited May 2020 Posts: 6,677
    mtm wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    Craig and Hardy were both in Layer Cake and I couldn't even remember Hardy in it.

Not sure that's a fair basis for a comparison is it? Craig is the lead. Is there even a scene that Craig isn't in?

Daniel Craig sure wasn't the lead in Road to Perdition, and yet in every single scene he's in he steals the show, holding his own against the likes of Paul Newman and Tom Hanks.

Hardy disappears every time DiCaprio or even Murphy or Gordon-Levitt are on screen in Inception or in The Revenant.

Hardy is a good character actor. But has no star power.

Even Clive Owen had more star power and screen presence, and easily shared the screen with Julia Roberts or Cate Blanchett. And was the lead in one of the best films in the last two decades - Children of Men. What film did Hardy star that had that kind of billing and relied on his screen presence? Venom? Please...

And before you say it, Fury Road was Theron's film. Hardy is no Gibson, I tell you that. Don't believe me? Check the posters.

Tom Hardy is good for small character actor films, ensemble films, or as a secondary.

He's the most overrated actor of his generation, IMO. At best, he's sort of an Oliver Reed kind of actor. But no better.

Craig can steal an entire scene just by squinting. He has a cool dangerous presence of a big jungle cat. Hardy is a thug with a baby mouth and a muculent hair and attitude.

Nolan may like him, but I doubt he'd ever have him as his lead. He just can't pull it off.

As part of an ensemble like in Tinker Taylor? Sure. As a lead? No, never.

Craig just has to sing "Papa was a Rolling Stone" and he steals every scene from Bana in Munich. That is McQueen kind of charisma, who just had to rattle a cartridge close to his ear to steal a scene from Yul Brynner in the Magnificent Seven.

Hardy who?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    SaintMark wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    Sorry you do not understand my not liking Tom Hardy, i'd prefer the next 007 to be a bit more the English gentleman and less of a thug. That is how Hardy comes across and I prefer Mel Gibsons Mad Max anyhow, no fan of Fury Road.

Couldn't agree more with this. Well said.

+1

I like Hardy, just can't see him as Bond. he's been typecast as a villain for a reason.

The Bane of existence.

As Bane, his performance was good but although he bulked up and they placed him in huge platform shoes, his relatively small size was too apparent at times; it took away from the character.

A small joke about Tom Hardy, no more really. It lend itself for wordplay

I’m not criticizing your comment, it just reminded me of how I felt about him in the role. 🤙🏼
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I should have made clear--I think Hardy works like gangbusters in the Mad Max role. If he was unhappy or difficult off screen, he either channeled the right stuff or Miller mined and managed it. Director Miller really stayed the course on that one until the planets aligned, quite an incredible story of filmmaking.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited May 2020 Posts: 7,526
    Craig and Hardy were both in Layer Cake and I couldn't even remember Hardy in it.

Not sure that's a fair basis for a comparison is it? Craig is the lead. Is there even a scene that Craig isn't in?

Daniel Craig sure wasn't the lead in Road to Perdition, and yet in every single scene he's in he steals the show, holding his own against the likes of Paul Newman and Tom Hanks.

Hardy disappears every time DiCaprio or even Murphy or Gordon-Levitt are on screen in Inception or in The Revenant.

Even Clive Owen had more star power and screen presence, and easily shared the screen with Julia Roberts or Cate Blanchett. And was the lead in one of the best films in the last two decades - Children of Men. What film did Hardy star that had that kind of billing and relied on his screen presence? Venom? Please...

And before you say it, Fury Road was Theron's film. Hardy is no Gibson, I tell you that. Don't believe me? Check the posters.

Tom Hardy is good for small character actor films, ensemble films, or as a secondary.

He's the most overrated actor of his generation, IMO. At best, he's sort of an Oliver Reed kind of actor. But no better.

Craig can steal an entire scene just by squinting. He has a cool dangerous presence of a big jungle cat. Hardy is a thug with a baby mouth and a muculent hair and attitude.

Nolan may like him, but I doubt he'd ever have him as his lead. He just can't pull it off.

Craig just has to sing "Papa was a Rolling Stone" and he steals every scene from Bana in Munich. That is McQueen kind of charisma, who just had to rattle a cartridge close to his ear to steal a scene from Yul Brynner in the Magnificent Seven.

Hardy who?

I agree with most here, but I do like Hardy a lot. IMO he was the only really good thing about TDKR, which is a film I like a lot (mostly just because of the scenes with him). I thought he was better in The Revenant than DiCaprio was, but maybe that's controversial. His Oscar there was clearly a "lifetime achievement" award. I think my stock in him has declined a little as he hasn't done much except post about Jiu Jitsu on Instagram, and taken an exceptionally strange turn in "Capone" (haven't seen it though).

He's not Bond for me, for sure.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited May 2020 Posts: 8,034

Hardy who?

Not to go against the overall sentiment here that Hardy is certainly not a good fit for James Bond, but he was absolutely superb in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and held his own in a number of lengthy scenes opposite a fantastic Gary Oldman and conveyed a lot in a short space of time. Comparitively but relevantly, he also managed to do the same while sitting across from James Gandolfini in The Drop - an actor whose face would likely appear beside "screen presence" in a book on film definitions if one existed. He's certainly capable, but my issue is that he has seemingly become a bit lazy.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,869

Hardy who?
    Not to go against the overall sentiment here that Hardy is certainly not a good fit for James Bond, but he was absolutely superb in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and held his own in a number of lengthy scenes opposite a fantastic Gary Oldman and convey a lot in a short space of time.
    Oh yes, great shout @CraigMooreOHMSS on Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. A great film, with great performances. His scenes especially were some of my favourites.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    As an adaptation of the source it's inferior to the BBC production, imo. Hardy's Ricki Tarr is so far removed the le Carre character he's a totally different person.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Like I understand he likes these roles and likes to cover up sometimes, but I think he has respect for the character's he plays; in Mad Max: Fury Road and Legend for example.

He works appropriately, and I imagine if he was to be James Bond, he'd understand what's required and know how he'd need to approach the role. Also as for the comments regarding his "thuggish"-ness, again they're actors, I don't think this is enough of a criticism to not worth being considered...
    Hardy and other names could be a Bond experiment for 1 or 2 films. But I also agree his height includes him out of consideration.

Nah I don't think that's an issue. He gets plenty of work, he's a star, I wouldn't care how tall he is.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,131
    Sorry you do not understand my not liking Tom Hardy, i'd prefer the next 007 to be a bit more the English gentleman and less of a thug. That is how Hardy comes across and I prefer Mel Gibsons Mad Max anyhow, no fan of Fury Road.

Agreed. The original Mad Max films were far superior. Mel Gibson - Another actor who was considered in the past that was far too short. Not to mention he is Australian.

As @talos7 said as Bane, his performance was good but although he bulked up and they placed him in huge platform shoes, his relatively small size was too apparent at times; it took away from the character. Totally agree.

Hardy who?

I haven't seen The Revenant but I've read several people say Hardy gives the better performance, and many would say he steals every scene in Inception.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Anyone else heard that Aaron Taylor-Johnson might be the secret villain in Tenet? Maybe this could be his moment to prove his Bond worth.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,131
    M_Blaise wrote: »

Hardy who?

I haven't seen The Revenant but I've read several people say Hardy gives the better performance, and many would say he steals every scene in Inception.

Just shows how opinions differ. I thought Di Caprio had far more star quality and charisma in both those films. He is a true old fashioned Hollywood star with first class acting ability to match.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I really admire your determination when it comes to trying to convince us of Taylor-Johnson's potential candidacy, @Denbigh :P
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I really admire your determination when it comes to trying to convince us of Taylor-Johnson's potential candidacy, @Denbigh :P
    Haha what can I say @CraigMooreOHMSS, I see something haha :D Although Callum's still my main dude.
    The only thing stopping Aaron is his voice, but that's easily dealt with...

...although Callum, Callum has it all haha :D
    EDIT: This was Taylor-Johnson in the Tenet trailer looking pretty cool. Someone edited it to make him clearer.
    XEgzTxe.jpg
    suavejmf wrote: »
    M_Blaise wrote: »

Hardy who?

Just shows how opinions differ. I thought Di Caprio had far more star quality and charisma in both those films. He is a true old fashioned Hollywood star with first class acting ability to match.

Same here. And yes, of course, that long post was just an opinion.
    Craig and Hardy were both in Layer Cake and I couldn't even remember Hardy in it. Craig just oozes cool and has a big screen presence. Hardy is a good character actor, even if slimy and ill tempered.

That being said, Craig will definitely be a though act to follow.

Agreed

its why I want Craig to be offered the house and given a 6th film in 2022...titled The Hildebrand Rarity... oh what dreams I have
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Haha what can I say @CraigMooreOHMSS, I see something haha :D Although Callum's still my main dude.

EDIT: This was Taylor-Johnson in the Tenet trailer looking pretty cool. Someone edited it to make him clearer.
    XEgzTxe.jpg

Lol, Our opinions on who has potential as the next Bond could not be further apart; I can see where the same dynamic could play out between EON and whatever Studio with which they're dealing. casting 007 is not an easy task.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    talos7 wrote: »

XEgzTxe.jpg
    Lol, Our opinions on who has potential as the next Bond could not be further apart.
    That's for sure haha; we both have different visions for it, and it'll be interesting to see what happens...

...but again, while I can disagree and say I don't see it or vice-versa, anyone has a shot at playing this role honestly because until that person actually gets the part, it's hard to realistically and truly say they couldn't - unless they stray too far from who and what the character is, and I wouldn't say that of either of our personal choices...

...unless one of your choices is Idris Elba haha :D
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Craig and Hardy were both in Layer Cake and I couldn't even remember Hardy in it. Craig just oozes cool and has a big screen presence. Hardy is a good character actor, even if slimy and ill tempered.

Agreed

its why I want Craig to be offered the house and given a 6th film in 2022...titled The Hildebrand Rarity... oh what dreams I have

+1.

Agreed

+1.

I don't think giving another Bond movie for Craig is a good idea, but given the rather uninspiring pool of potential successors, it might be the better idea.

On a side note, Tom Hardy is like Clive Owen: I never saw the appeal of him as Bond.
    Aidan Turner - Seems to me to be a good option to play Fleming’s Bond.

Tom Hiddleston - Could combine the toughness of Craig’s Bond with a tad more ‘public School boy’ in the style of Roger Moore. Reference ‘The Night Manager’.

• sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I like Hiddleston, but I got the feeling he was out of the running for Bond.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    ...but I got the feeling he was out of the running for Bond.
    I agree, although I've never really liked Hiddleston, but I personally believe people that have been in Marvel or DC should be "auto-rejects" as people like to say - as whoever is 007 next should be Bond rather than Bond and a superhero/villain (Loki, for example)

Tom Hiddleston - Could combine the toughness of Craig’s Bond with a tad more ‘public School boy’ in the style of Roger Moore. Reference ‘The Night Manager’.

I like Hiddleston but I am sure I am the only one

I like Hiddleston but I am sure I am the only one

You're not. I used to. But then came the Swift t-shirt :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

He's not tough at all. He's wet. Watch him pretending to be an SAS type in that Kong movie and laugh.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

He's not tough at all. He's wet. Watch him pretending to be an SAS type in that Kong movie and laugh.

Perhaps he could pull it off, but even I am tougher than him.
    I rather liked him in The Night Manager. Tough, resourceful and suave enough.

hiddleston.jpg?itok=KboPwCpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,962

My cat is tougher than him. He just looks like he's pretending all the time, even in that photo above.
    And action man/physical presence/brooding is something he just can't do. I find him rather hilarious when he tries it to be honest.

This is him pretending to be an SAS man:

Oh-my-god.jpg

Oh dear :D He looks like a stiff wind would blow him over, that's not SAS.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

My cat is tougher than him. He just looks like he's pretending all the time, even in that photo above.
    And action man/physical presence/brooding is something he just can't do. I find him rather hilarious when he tries it to be honest.

This is him pretending to be an SAS man:

Oh-my-god.jpg

Oh dear :D He looks like a stiff wind would blow him over, that's not SAS.

Yes, it is. Sissy Army Squadron.