Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

never expected him to be 007, although his villain in the last Mission Impossible movie was excellent.
  • He never was my first choice, nor my second, but I always saw it as sort of modern day Brosnan insofar as he had not gone far from winning the role in the past and that he had more or less the support of general audience. That's what made me think he could interest Eon. However, as long as he's Superman, he can't of course be Bond.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Denbigh wrote: »
    @Pierce2Daniel @SaintMark @CraigMooreOHMSS @Univex @DaltonCraig007

I don't really understand this with Hardy.

Like I understand he likes these roles and likes to cover up sometimes, but I think he has respect for the character's he plays; in Mad Max: Fury Road and Legend for example.

He works appropriately, and I imagine if he was to be James Bond, he'd understand what's required and know how he'd need to approach the role. Also as for the comments regarding his "thuggish"-ness, again they're actors, I don't think this is enough of a criticism to not worth being considered...

...but either way his age is an issue and he is in Venom so I don't think he'll ever be Bond.

The thing with Hardy for me is that his choices on paper in the last decade seem exciting and diverse but his performances always feel similar. He does the same thing with his voice, the same head nod, the same nervous eye movements. When it works, it works really well - it fit the characters in Locke and The Drop perfectly for example - but it was extremely annoying in Venom and Capone. He was a serviceable Mad Max, to be fair, certainly physically capable but lacking that cold intensity that Gibson had. I'm sure Hardy possibly could have been a good Bond at one point - he had a very good run from '05 to '11 where he seemed to be challenging himself - but the acting style that he has seemingly settled into now is totally unsuitable for the part, I think.

So in that sense, my gut instinct would be to disagree with the idea that he would bring what was appropriate. It'd likely be the other way round, and I don't really want Bond to be like that.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,869

Like I understand he likes these roles and likes to cover up sometimes, but I think he has respect for the character's he plays; in Mad Max: Fury Road and Legend for example.

He works appropriately, and I imagine if he was to be James Bond, he'd understand what's required and know how he'd need to approach the role. Also as for the comments regarding his "thuggish"-ness, again they're actors, I don't think this is enough of a criticism to not worth being considered...

...but either way his age is an issue and he is in Venom so I don't think he'll ever be Bond.

The thing with Hardy for me is that his choices on paper in the last decade seem exciting and diverse but his performances always feel similar. He does the same thing with his voice, the same head nod, the same nervous eye movements. When it works, it works really well - it fit the characters in Locke and The Drop perfectly for example - but it was extremely annoying in Venom and Capone. He was a serviceable Mad Max, to be fair, certainly physically capable but lacking that cold intensity that Gibson had. I'm sure Hardy possibly could have been a good Bond at one point - he had a very good run from '05 to '11 where he seemed to be challenging himself - but the acting style that he has seemingly settled into now is totally unsuitable for the part, I think.

So in that sense, my gut instinct would be to disagree with the idea that he would bring what was appropriate. It'd likely be the other way round, and I don't really want Bond to be like that.
    I can understand those criticisms, although personally i think Tom Hardy kills it every-time. Although I am yet to see Capone, but I very much doubt it'll hold up to one of my favourite performances of his in Legend as the Kray twins.

Anyway, I do agree though that his time has passed for the role, and that he'll no longer be considered, only because for me, they need to go in a fresher direction for the next 007.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,131

Great actor. But far too short at 5ft 8in. Auto rejection IMO.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Sorry you do not understand my not liking Tom Hardy, i'd prefer the next 007 to be a bit more the English gentleman and less of a thug. That is how Hardy comes across and I prefer Mel Gibsons Mad Max anyhow, no fan of Fury Road.

As I remember he did a sort of smooth spy in 'This Means War', although not exactly Bond and it's a long time since I saw it. He could have definitely played Bond and I think would have been great, but is perhaps a bit too similar in type to Craig.
    Sorry you do not understand my not liking Tom Hardy, i'd prefer the next 007 to be a bit more the English gentleman and less of a thug. That is how Hardy comes across and I prefer Mel Gibsons Mad Max anyhow, no fan of Fury Road.

Couldn't agree more with this. Well said.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Univex wrote: »

I also agree with @SaintMark here, except I love Fury Road :D Saw it nine times in theatres.

I also agree with @SaintMark here, except I love Fury Road :D Saw it nine times in theatres.

Then you love it no doubt, I saw Mad Max 2 twice in cinema. That old am I.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

It is quite the ride. Watched the Black and Chrome version in theatres last year, too.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

It is quite the ride. Watched the Black and Chrome version in theatres last year, too.
    I'm really hoping Jodie Comer is cast as the young Furiosa for a prequel like what is rumoured...

...but to keep it somewhat on topic, she'd be a great Bond girl and I wonder who'd be the perfect James Bond to match with her? :)
    She is indeed a brilliant assassin in her own show even with the Fleabag lady writer gone it has lost some of its brilliance.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    She is indeed a brilliant assassin in her own show even with the Fleabag lady writer gone it has lost some of its brilliance.
    I'm excited to see Nomi, but it would've been pretty cool to see her as a new 007 in No Time to Die.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Anyway, I do agree though that his time has passed for the role, and that he'll no longer be considered, only because for me, they need to go in a fresher direction for the next 007.

By 'fresher', do you mean younger, or less well-known? Or just very different?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    By 'fresher', do you mean younger, or less well-known? Or just very different?
    Either/or really - but yeah something that feels different.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

+1

I like Hardy, just can't see him as Bond. he's been typecast as a villain for a reason.
    TripAces wrote: »

+1

I like Hardy, just can't see him as Bond. he's been typecast as a villain for a reason.

The Bane of existence.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

+1

The Bane of existence.

As Bane, his performance was good but although he bulked up and they placed him in huge platform shoes, his relatively small size was too apparent at times; it took away from the character.

talos7 wrote: »

+1

The Bane of existence.

As Bane, his performance was good but although he bulked up and they placed him in huge platform shoes, his relatively small size was too apparent at times; it took away from the character.

A small joke about Tom Hardy, no more really. It lend itself for wordplay
    Craig and Hardy were both in Layer Cake and I couldn't even remember Hardy in it. Craig just oozes cool and has a big screen presence. Hardy is a good character actor, even if slimy and ill tempered.

That being said, Craig will definitely be a though act to follow.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Craig and Hardy were both in Layer Cake and I couldn't even remember Hardy in it. Craig just oozes cool and has a big screen presence. Hardy is a good character actor, even if slimy and ill tempered.

@Univex : nail, head, hammer, hit!

(I agree with you a thousand times over)
    Somebody with bucket loafs of charisma and screen presence. Not a cardboard box.

Henry Cavill as Bond.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Somebody with bucket loafs of charisma and screen presence. Not a cardboard box.

Henry as Bond.
    It won't happen; he's already Superman, and he is also The Witcher. He's also very heavily involved with Warner Bros, who probably wouldn't want him to be 007

I wonder if Gregg will get a better say in the next James Bond?? It'd be good to find out his taste haha :D
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Well, just to add another name or two for the sake of variety...

On another forum someone mentioned Oliver Jackson-Cohen, who starred in the recent Invisible Man film, and was in The Haunting of Hill House miniseries. I'm not sold on him as he has kind of a bland face without a strong bone-structure, but he is of the right age, and his star seems to be on the rise.

Another name is Tom Bateman. He's more low-rent, having mainly been in TV, but he was in the recent Murder on the Orient Express film, and appears to be attached to the new Death on the Nile movie. He seems to play bad guys a fair bit, probably because he has the eyebrows of a psychotic killer. Or a muppet.

I don't really like these guys for the part, but as all the good candidates are aging out, I thought I'd mention them. I really don't like any of the young candidates much. I actually think Denbigh is probably right in suggesting that Callum Turner will be a candidate, because his resume is looking better than anybody else his age with the exception of Hoult. Hmmm... doesn't fill me with glee, but there you go. I think I'm pinning my hopes on Hoult more and more.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    I actually think Denbigh is probably right in suggesting that Callum Turner will be a candidate, because his resume is looking better than anybody else his age with the exception of Hoult. Hmmm... doesn't fill me with glee, but there you go. I think I'm pinning my hopes on Hoult more and more.

tumblr_piy540eepg1u0ar3io4_400.gifv

Haha well I'm sorry he hasn't really convinced anyone yet. Hopefully he'll convince you one day @sandbagger1, he sure has the time to considering Bond 26's probable release. I do like Oliver Jackson-Cohen though, and I think he'll be a likely candidate too, and while I struggle to imagine Bateman in the role, you never know :)
    Stuart Martin takes the shirtless test.

231f724960a4d205e2582568f1961129e61f1f23.gifv

c03924f804f844aacd7fb9c073c247f36653258d.gifv

Hardy is practically an extra while Craig is in every scene. So there's that.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    M_Blaise wrote: »

Hardy is practically an extra while Craig is in every scene. So there's that.
    Exactly. Hardy has something like 30 seconds of screen time, doesn't he?

It's like saying Gerard Butler isn't a memorable actor because he's forgettable in TND. ;)

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,961
    Craig and Hardy were both in Layer Cake and I couldn't even remember Hardy in it.

Not sure that's a fair basis for a comparison is it? Craig is the lead. Is there even a scene that Craig isn't in?

Henry Cavill as Bond.

Where's he going to get the charisma from? :D
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 13,034

Actually Hardy has a reputation for being moody and hard to work with on set. FURY ROAD as the example, he didn't get along with Charlize Theron or the director during filming. To the point that once the film was completed and viewed, he apologized to George Miller and admitted he had not understood the director's vision for the project.

I'm a huge follower of the Mad Max films, and no less FURY ROAD. What a brilliantly surprising film from an outright genius. Unbelievable sound and vision.

And I saw THE ROAD WARRIOR the first night of release in the US at a drive-in. Plus several more times sitting in theaters across the summer, a great year to watch films.

Hardy and other names could be a Bond experiment for 1 or 2 films. But I also agree his height includes him out of consideration.

• DenbighDenbigh UK

Actually Hardy has a reputation for being moody and hard to work with on set. FURY ROAD as the example, he didn't get along with Charlize Theron or the director during filming. To the point that once the film was completed and viewed, he apologized to George Miller and admitted he had not understood the director's vision for the project.
    Oh interesting; I was aware of the tensions between him and Theron, but I was not aware of what occurred between him and Miller. I take back what i said wholeheartedly.

Despite that, I still love the film and his performance, but yes, his height is a problem, and either way Hardy is no longer in my top choices, I'd just be happy to go with it if he was. Callum's still my guy haha :D
    Speaking of which people should check out Queen and Country. It's not a great film by any means, but Callum's performance is another example of his potential. Although do take into account this was fiver years ago and he looks quite young.