Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

mtm wrote: »
    As far as I understood it was about a replacement for Daniel Craig in the popular movie series.

Since you cannot predict the future, I'd say you're not exactly right. And yes, I'm aware of Barbara's comments.
    (...) casting the exact living spit of Fleming's Hoagy Carmichael in some fabled Netflix drama (which everyone would complain about not being as good as the films) anyway.

Would they? You're certain of it?
    Some ugly thoughts being exposed here, yes I agree.

Oh, yes, we're quite in agreement on that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,935
    Univex wrote: »
    As far as I understood it was about a replacement for Daniel Craig in the popular movie series.

Since you cannot predict the future, I'd say you're not exactly right. And yes, I'm aware of Barbara's comments.

You don't think he'll ever be replaced and this thread isn't about who should be a new Bond actor? Despite being called 'Who should/could be a new Bond actor'? You say a lot of confusing things.
    (...) casting the exact living spit of Fleming's Hoagy Carmichael in some fabled Netflix drama (which everyone would complain about not being as good as the films) anyway.

Would they? You're certain of it?

Well it's for another thread, but generally the filmmakers improved things where they could. They made Goldfinger's plot better, they streamlined the FRWL plot, improved OHMSS... and that's before you get to having a version of Goldfinger that doesn't have Sean Connery, John Barry, Ken Adam etc. Plus they have to be in period, which given what they have to show in the novels would be compromised by what's available, what can be made in CG etc. and how big the budget is.
    Even the Toby Stephens radio versions had to add things and change things for the new medium despite being closer adaptations of the books, and usually they're not all that great. They're fine, a curiosity piece, but yeah, I think you'd very much be getting a lot of people saying they aren't as good as the films. Millions of people love the films.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,935
    Ok. I mean, we all know that so I’m not sure what point you’re trying to prove.

Your argument is just to repeatedly say “bond is white, bond is white”. We get that. We’re just saying, just because it’s been that way doesn’t necessarily mean it has to stay that way forever. You’re confusing “this is a characteristic of a character” and “this is a characteristic of a character, and it is absolutely integral to that characters identity”.

This is the best post so far on this subject, by the way.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 6,677
    @mtm

I meant that you can't be sure the Bond franchise will always be confined to the big screen, so we could be talking about replacements for the films, or for a tv series, or whatever. The way things are, it's getting pretty hard to predict the future for the seventh art.

I love the films, I love the books. I'd even love a properly directed and produced show. They'd just have to have the right people involved, and a helluva lot of money to spend.

And cmon, I say a lot of confusing things? Really?

Most interactions we've had have been riddled with animosity, mainly because I disagreed with your response technic, which I can only describe as compulsory machine gun fire. But then I tried to make emends by complimenting your fabulous art work, and even went on to write some fair play comments on our posts when they got fired up. Then, I even tried answering you with your own method, even though I find it tiresome as hell. And in the end, trying to be respectful of the conversation, I put a lovely bow on top saying this is all just fun and games.

The thing is, dear @mtm, we agree on a lot of things. Maybe not one or two, but mostly I find myself agreeing with you. I have put my hand out there for a hand shake, several times, even if you're generally blind to my efforts, it's your choice to do the same or not.

We fence, then we shake hands. Time to do so, I reckon. If you feel that to be confusing, then bugger off :)

And again, for clarity purposes:

1) Butchering literary source material is wrong

2) Changing too much of Ian Fleming's James Bond makes it NOT Ian Fleming's James Bond

3) I believe changing the race of a literary fictional character is too much. I'd say the same about changing: its nationality, its gender, its origin story/background, and many other things.

All, of course, IMO.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    It's interesting to me too as I also feel like we agree on several things @mtm @Univex, so it's been interesting to watch this exchange. Like you @Univex I get more fired about about things than I should.

I also agree about the uncertainty of the future of Bond media; wouldn't be surprised to see a TV series given the unbelievable quality of TV these days. Bond on The AMC would be fine with me, or HBO of course. Streaming services as well.

Like you I also love the books and would love to see some straight adaptions. I have no idea why, honestly, but I crave a straight adaption of Octopussy, and I think about it all the time. Barely anything happens in it, lol, but I just want it.
    It's interesting to me too as I also feel like we agree on several things @mtm @Univex, so it's been interesting to watch this exchange. Like you @Univex I get more fired about about things than I should.

I also agree about the uncertainty of the future of Bond media; wouldn't be surprised to see a TV series given the unbelievable quality of TV these days. Bond on The AMC would be fine with me, or HBO of course. Streaming services as well.

Like you I also love the books and would love to see some straight adaptions. I have no idea why, honestly, but I crave a straight adaption of Octopussy, and I think about it all the time. Barely anything happens in it, lol, but I just want it.

+1 Thank you for you kind and lucid response, @NickTwentyTwo. And yes, absolutely, we agree on most things on most threads, all three of us.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited May 2020 Posts: 8,028
    Not to say that those of a skin colour other than white cannot be snobbish, but isn't Bond's whiteness important in the sense that it feeds into his other personality traits? His stiff British buccaneering attitude, serving the crown against her enemies; a blunt instrument of a power clinging to arguably former glories as an international heavy hitter that use him against any group or nation that threaten them. He is almost a walking anachronism to the world around him in the modern films because of this, but the "man out of time" aspect is actually one of the things that makes him interesting to me, even if that attitude is morally questionable.

However, a Bond of a different race could certainly be interesting too, and you could analyse him as a contradiction to the people he works for if it ever came to be. However, I don't think it's a simple straight swap; the character would be fundamentally changed because seeing a black Briton with modern sensibilities serving the crown against their enemies is a lot different to an old-fashioned white male of privilege doing it. It's neither good nor bad, but it certainly is a fundamental change. Things like scars, eye colour, hair colour etc. are absolutely superficial in comparison with his race.

That being said, it's not a conversation that's going to go away and I think it's an inevitability that we'll get a black James Bond at some point in our lifetime, and I'd judge the actor playing him on their own merits and what they bring to the part.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I did this edit to see if I could convince anyone else. This was fairly rushed so bare with any mistakes haha :D
    dfTmLds.jpg
    UOfCKdb.jpg
    Lol nice edits! But still not my cup of tea. I’m getting Andy Samberg vibes. Looks a bit goofy to me.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Lol nice edits! But still not my cup of tea. I’m getting Andy Samberg vibes. Looks a bit goofy to me.
    That's fair haha, give him a few years though and he'll be ready I say :D
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I understand people like Elba but saying he would solve all of James Bond's problems is a bit weak, and actually I've found personally that a lot of the hype is dying down around Elba. It's definitely not as strong as it used to be, and I personally don't even think he's that great of an actor and hasn't made great choices, plus the fact that he'd be on his way to mid-50s by the time Bond 26 is probably even on its way to be being made, makes him even less likely.

We've been with the same (great) actor for 14 years, plus another 5 probably if you include a break for casting and such. I think if they want Bond 26 to get people excited they need to make it feel fresh and new again. Carrying on the continuity or even rebooting with Elba wouldn't be doing this. I also don't think Elba would be Bond, he'd be Idris Elba sleeping with women and killing people. If that makes sense.

Completely agree.

Idris Elba billion dollar Bond what utter nonsense.

What is this hard on with Elba, he rarely has been on a par with his turn in The Wire as Stringer Bell.

Certainly not moping about in a grubby overcoat solving ludicrous crimes (with a granted great theme tune from Massive Attack) certainly isn't that.

Elba isn't really going anywhere fast.

The next Bond will be a relative nobody and certainly not some actor approaching 50 who has a a name mostly for the fact certain people think he should the first black Bond.

It certainly does keep me amused though hearing such nonsense from someone who thinks MI6 is his own entertainment blog.

edited May 2020 Posts: 7,526
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I understand people like Elba but saying he would solve all of James Bond's problems is a bit weak, and actually I've found personally that a lot of the hype is dying down around Elba. It's definitely not as strong as it used to be, and I personally don't even think he's that great of an actor and hasn't made great choices, plus the fact that he'd be on his way to mid-50s by the time Bond 26 is probably even on its way to be being made, makes him even less likely.

We've been with the same (great) actor for 14 years, plus another 5 probably if you include a break for casting and such. I think if they want Bond 26 to get people excited they need to make it feel fresh and new again. Carrying on the continuity or even rebooting with Elba wouldn't be doing this. I also don't think Elba would be Bond, he'd be Idris Elba sleeping with women and killing people. If that makes sense.

Completely agree.

Idris Elba billion dollar Bond what utter nonsense.

What is this hard on with Elba, he rarely has been on a par with his turn in The Wire as Stringer Bell.

Certainly not moping about in a grubby overcoat solving ludicrous crimes (with a granted great theme tune from Massive Attack) certainly isn't that.

Elba isn't really going anywhere fast.

The next Bond will be a relative nobody and certainly not some actor approaching 50 who has a a name mostly for the fact certain people think he should the first black Bond.

It certainly does keep me amused though hearing such nonsense from someone who thinks MI6 is his own entertainment blog.

As I said he’s a TikTok rapper now lol, so I’d agree with you. I think people just put him forward because he’s a classy British man like all of the other suggestions for Bond, and he’s a hit with the ladies, and people liked to be controversial by putting up a black actor for the role.
    Agree Idris Elba is a passed station, and while I enjoy him in his roles he never felt like Bond before, not even Shaft.

I prefer a younger unknown of lesser known, it would not even surprise me if they got Robert Pattison as he would come with a shedload of fans.

That said there is no clear favorite for me, I will see what Barbara will surprise us with. I am quite sure they are already eyeballing the new 007 as we speak.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    Is it just me, or does Callum look like George Lazenby in that picture?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Agent_One wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does Callum look like George Lazenby in that picture?
    I see that. I think he has a very classic Bond look.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I did this edit to see if I could convince anyone else. This was fairly rushed so bare with any mistakes haha :D
    dfTmLds.jpg
    UOfCKdb.jpg

Please no...
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 108
    Stuart Martin takes the shirtless test.

231f724960a4d205e2582568f1961129e61f1f23.gifv

c03924f804f844aacd7fb9c073c247f36653258d.gifv
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    @mtm

I meant that you can't be sure the Bond franchise will always be confined to the big screen, so we could be talking about replacements for the films, or for a tv series, or whatever. The way things are, it's getting pretty hard to predict the future for the seventh art.

I love the films, I love the books. I'd even love a properly directed and produced show. They'd just have to have the right people involved, and a helluva lot of money to spend.

And cmon, I say a lot of confusing things? Really?

Most interactions we've had have been riddled with animosity, mainly because I disagreed with your response technic, which I can only describe as compulsory machine gun fire. But then I tried to make emends by complimenting your fabulous art work, and even went on to write some fair play comments on our posts when they got fired up. Then, I even tried answering you with your own method, even though I find it tiresome as hell. And in the end, trying to be respectful of the conversation, I put a lovely bow on top saying this is all just fun and games.

The thing is, dear @mtm, we agree on a lot of things. Maybe not one or two, but mostly I find myself agreeing with you. I have put my hand out there for a hand shake, several times, even if you're generally blind to my efforts, it's your choice to do the same or not.

We fence, then we shake hands. Time to do so, I reckon. If you feel that to be confusing, then bugger off :)

And again, for clarity purposes:

1) Butchering literary source material is wrong

2) Changing too much of Ian Fleming's James Bond makes it NOT Ian Fleming's James Bond

3) I believe changing the race of a literary fictional character is too much. I'd say the same about changing: its nationality, its gender, its origin story/background, and many other things.

All, of course, IMO.

Summed up perfectly. 👍
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 680
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Everyone is somewhat known within the tabloid and social media circles. Like someone said, it would be so-so's latest flick as James Bond, which would make the part unbelievable (imo). Gonna have to be an unknown fresh face.
    I get you, for example, I don't think it'll be anyone whose been or is going to be in any DC or Marvel film
    I still say I like the idea of Stuart Martin. He's just starting his career, in a sense. He's got the looks, the physical training, the voice.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 680
    Everyone is somewhat known within the tabloid and social media circles. Like someone said, it would be so-so's latest flick as James Bond, which would make the part unbelievable (imo). Gonna have to be an unknown fresh face.
    I get you, for example, I don't think it'll be anyone whose been or is going to be in any DC or Marvel film

• DenbighDenbigh UK

Right! Or 50 shades of grey. Or a former boyband lol. I just believe it has to be an unknown, and I think it will be perfect like that. Actor and audience can grow together.
    I mean I don't think it'll be a complete unknown. For example, using my choice of Callum Turner, if you said his name to most people, they wouldn't know who he was, but he's known by enough people to not feel like he came out of nowhere.
    I’d be happy with a suitable unknown, or lower profile actor.
    suavejmf wrote: »

Like Stuart Martin or Aidan Turner ;)
    When I saw the name Stuart Martin I immediately thought of Angel Martin played by Stuart Margolin.

8386.jpg
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    (Me, too.)

Aidan Turner....yes.

I don’t know who Stuart Martin is! 🤣😂

Aidan Turner....yes.

I don’t know who Stuart Martin is! 🤣😂

KwXYksCh_400x400.jpg

mvou7a6kpgm3rxzeseqn.jpg

Stuart-Martin-2-scaled-624x692-c-center.jpg

He's Scottish, btw. Mind you, I'd rather have Aidan Turner in the role :)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think my issue with him lies in his similarities to Hugh Jackman, cause he really reminds me of him, and that he seems more of a television actor to me, but you never know. Also I think he looks more like he'd work at MI6 rather than be a 00. Maybe M when he's older? I'd love a scottish M.