Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    I still think Fiennes and Wishaw could easily carry on to Number 7.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Agent_One wrote: »
    I still think Fiennes and Wishaw could easily carry on to Number 7.
    I suppose, in the early stages, it'll depend on what direction EON want to go in.
    I don't think they'll recast the whole team. Heck they kept Judi Dench as M even though it was a full reboot! They'll like to keep a bit of continuity, for one, and to avoid going through the trouble of recasting everyone when they already have to focus on casting Bond, the villain, the Bond girls, etc. And I suspect they want Ralph Fiennes as M for a long while, given his relatively young age when cast. Maybe make him be the longest serving M of the franchise.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I don't think they'll recast the whole team. Heck they kept Judi Dench as M even though it was a full reboot! They'll like to keep a bit of continuity, for one, and to avoid going through the trouble of recasting everyone when they already have to focus on casting Bond, the villain, the Bond girls, etc. And I suspect they want Ralph Fiennes as M for a long while, given his relatively young age when cast. Maybe make him be the longest serving M of the franchise.
    It's definitely possible, I just think given how long it'll be before we even find out whose cast as Bond, anything could happen. They may want to move onto other things.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I was gonna post this in a discussion but I'm just gonna put it here. So this includes one of my top choices for James Bond, Callum Turner, although I know a lot of you are sceptical about him, I just think he has a lot of potential, and could be a possible dark horse. But I've also included some other choices I'd go for - for other characters.

The other cast I would choose includes Lennie James as M, Vanessa Kirby as Moneypenny, Riz Ahmed as Q, Joel Edgerton as Felix Leiter, and Daniel Bruhl as Ernst Stavro Blofeld. I think the only thing about this that is unrealistic is Callum and Vanessa appearing in those roles together, as they used to date, so I don't think that would end up happening, but I believe these would be pretty solid choices.

Some of you may have seen this before by the way.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls098102981/

Looks like he could be a good Gustav Graves when he grows up. ;)

Reminds me a little of Simon Quarterman from Westworld for some reason.
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0702945/?ref_=tt_cl_t10
    I think it's just his face a little, but apart from that they're very different haha :D
    I just Callum Turner has something, like I've said before, I wouldn't cast him now, but in four or five years time, I think he'd be great and could potentially be a mixture of Craig and Brosnan in terms of tone and style. This image was six years ago, and he's become a bit more of a leading man already in a few years so given more I think we have a potential James Bond. He has a good voice too - again in my opinion.

queen-anatomy-videoSixteenByNine3000.jpg

I firmly believe that Bond should always be, and portrayed by, a Caucasian, British male ; with that said, I would cast Idris Elba as Bond before ever casting Callum Turner. Turner has a shifty, rat like quality that is very off putting. No, no and no....
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Univex wrote: »
    Again with the James Dean nonsense. The guy was a quintessentially American bad boy.

If people want a thread to talk about how cute boys are, do create one, alright? Bond is not about cuteness or handsomeness, as Craig so aptly showed us for the past 13 odd years.

👏👏👏👍👌
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 4,400
    talos7 wrote: »
    I was gonna post this in a discussion but I'm just gonna put it here. So this includes one of my top choices for James Bond, Callum Turner, although I know a lot of you are sceptical about him, I just think he has a lot of potential, and could be a possible dark horse. But I've also included some other choices I'd go for - for other characters.

The other cast I would choose includes Lennie James as M, Vanessa Kirby as Moneypenny, Riz Ahmed as Q, Joel Edgerton as Felix Leiter, and Daniel Bruhl as Ernst Stavro Blofeld. I think the only thing about this that is unrealistic is Callum and Vanessa appearing in those roles together, as they used to date, so I don't think that would end up happening, but I believe these would be pretty solid choices.

I think it's just his face a little, but apart from that they're very different haha :D
    I just Callum Turner has something, like I've said before, I wouldn't cast him now, but in four or five years time, I think he'd be great and could potentially be a mixture of Craig and Brosnan in terms of tone and style. This image was six years ago, and he's become a bit more of a leading man already in a few years so given more I think we have a potential James Bond. He has a good voice too - again in my opinion.

I firmly believe that Bond should always be, and portrayed by, a Caucasian, British male ; with that said, I would cast Idris Elba as Bond before ever casting Callum Turner. Turner has a shifty, rat like quality that is very off putting. No, no and no....

Now we're talking! This man is 007.....a Bond film starring Idris Elba is a $1 billion success story in the making. I'm certain Eon are weighing up this idea. Though it does go against much of their instincts. Usually they case with the 'franchise' in mind. Essentially, someone to be the figurehead of the series for the next 10 years.

However, the changing landscape with blockbuster films means they now have more competition than ever. If the Craig era is anything to go by, then I think Eon have adopted a more filmmaker-friendly approach. Opposed to go down the Marvel route where sequels are knocked out quickly.

But if they wanted to get a big name director and hire Elba, then that would be a surefire way to distinguish themselves from the competition. I mean, imagine the hype of a Christopher Nolan-directed Bond film starring Elba!!!

I'd even think that they'd rehire Fukunaga/Waller-Bridge and get them to continue the story of Bond with an actor of a similar age. In that respect, Elba could quickly pick up that mantle.

If Eon release in time for the 60th anniversary, than Elba will be 48.....if anything the thing holding him back from the Bond role is less his age and more the sheer amount of over-exposure he's had in recent years.

This photoshoot could be from a Bond film...love the outfit

Idris-Elba-08-2019-cover.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Mmm I actually don't like this choice @Pierce2Daniel , not because he's black, but more because I've never gelled with him as an actor, and they're not going to have a film out by the 60th under any circumstances I don't think, and in my opinion, he any actors whose actually sought out the role or have even talked about a lot in the last few years are probably not in with a chance when the new actor is cast.

...and @talos7 I would happily take "shifty rat" over Idris or Aidan. I actually see a lot of young Pierce in Callum, but with more of that Craig-edge, so in my eyes the shifty rat will always have potential.

My second choice again is Aaron Taylor-Johnson but as others have mentioned his voice lets him down. If I could have Aaron as James Bond with Callum's voice. That would be perfect, but I still think Callum could pull it off - even if I think Aaron has a better look.

lLQUIm.jpg
    aaron-taylor-johnson-givenchy.jpg
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 6,677
    "This photoshoot could be from a Bond film...love the outfit" - presents a good looking black man, overaged, on a leather jacket and black attire...

Oh, man, you're in the wrong franchise.

I'm off this thread. I just can't bare it. Do cary on, "Bond fans". And feel free to nail me to a cross. Damn Fleming purists, right? Times they ar a changing. Must fight the system. All opinion counts. Everything is valid. And so on, right? Well, ok then. I loose, you guys win. Cute baby faced James Dean lookalikes, black dudes, you guys just know Bond.

And this is me expressing my opinion on a forum, before you ask, or come wailing that all fans deserve to share their views.

Heck, this guy is more Bond than Idris.

b4c1b91d12388185b9fd04a227d3b92f.jpg

Although he is something of a Drax lookalike (right?) ;)

Well, I'm off. Have fun.
    A billion dollars success in the making with Idris Elba as Bond? Did he ever generate BO returns that would justify this claim? When was his last big successful movie and was he the main part in its success?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Hope you return soon @Univex, although I do want to stress again the younger choices I'm suggesting are based on the fact that Bond 26 won't be around for another five/six years (in my opinion). If we were casting now, I wouldn't go for Callum or Aaron, but taking the context of everything into account, I think they're both fine choices. And I know you are at least a fan of Callum's voice @Univex haha :)
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 4,400
    A billion dollars success in the making with Idris Elba as Bond? Did he ever generate BO returns that would justify this claim? When was his last big successful movie and was he the main part in its success?

You're right, Ebla isn't a box office draw alone. However, the Bond franchise is. So you end up with the following formula: Idris Elba + Bond = Excitement and Interest

That's an intriguing formula, I think a lot of names - whether it be Dornan, Taylor-Johnson, Turner, Cavill would inspire either apathy or less intense interest in wider audiences. But Elba is pretty much the only name that wider audiences (perhaps not hardcore fans) have been clamouring for. Remeber these aren't the folk who read Fleming, have seen all the Bond films or will even re-watch the film for years to come.

People I know are all enthused by Elba as Bond than anyone else. Almost see it as an inevitability. Most of these people go to the cinema regularly, but aren't Bond purists and only came to the franchise during the Craig films. This is Bond's core audience now at the box-office and these are the people who pay to go to the cinema (whether we like it or not, they are the audience and their money is as good as our's - and there is more of them). These people are the sort of people who would guarantee that an Idris Elba-fronted Bond film is an Event film. Questions of bond's relevance in a modern age disappear and are instead replaced with rampant excitement. Instead of the usual misanthropy.

Idris-Elba-Hobbs-Shaw-Brixton-Lore-Leather-Jacket-2.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I understand people like Elba but saying he would solve all of James Bond's problems is a bit weak, and actually I've found personally that a lot of the hype is dying down around Elba. It's definitely not as strong as it used to be, and I personally don't even think he's that great of an actor and hasn't made great choices, plus the fact that he'd be on his way to mid-50s by the time Bond 26 is probably even on its way to be being made, makes him even less likely.

We've been with the same (great) actor for 14 years, plus another 5 probably if you include a break for casting and such. I think if they want Bond 26 to get people excited they need to make it feel fresh and new again. Carrying on the continuity or even rebooting with Elba wouldn't be doing this. I also don't think Elba would be Bond, he'd be Idris Elba sleeping with women and killing people. If that makes sense.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Now we're talking! This man is 007.....a Bond film starring Idris Elba is a $1 billion success story in the making. I'm certain Eon are weighing up this idea. Though it does go against much of their instincts. Usually they case with the 'franchise' in mind. Essentially, someone to be the figurehead of the series for the next 10 years.

However, the changing landscape with blockbuster films means they now have more competition than ever. If the Craig era is anything to go by, then I think Eon have adopted a more filmmaker-friendly approach. Opposed to go down the Marvel route where sequels are knocked out quickly.

But if they wanted to get a big name director and hire Elba, then that would be a surefire way to distinguish themselves from the competition. I mean, imagine the hype of a Christopher Nolan-directed Bond film starring Elba!!!

I'd even think that they'd rehire Fukunaga/Waller-Bridge and get them to continue the story of Bond with an actor of a similar age. In that respect, Elba could quickly pick up that mantle.

If Eon release in time for the 60th anniversary, than Elba will be 48.....if anything the thing holding him back from the Bond role is less his age and more the sheer amount of over-exposure he's had in recent years.

Lol, NO!

I was not endorsing Elba as Bond, although he would make a great spy as an original character; I was just illustrating how much I don’t like C. Turner

So... These people didn't bother turning up at The Dark Tower or Star Trek Beyond, in spite of having Idris Elba in it and being an adaptation of a Stephen King bestseller and part of an old an fairly popular franchise with many fans, but they'll just flock to a Bond movie with Elba? I don't buy it. I mean, sure, he has his fans, but he was never associated with box office gold. To be fair nobody is these days, except maybe Tom Cruise. But I think Idris Elba needs Bond (or anything like Bond) than Bond needs him. Beside at 47 now he's far too old, regardless of where one stands on the race question.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    What about Sam Claflin? He's 33 years old. 5'11'. Not a top choice of mine by any means but just wonder what people would think?

sam-claflin-3840x2160-most-popular-celebs-in-2015-actor-the-hunger-3565.jpg
    shutterstock_editorial_10489985fo.jpg
    samclaflin1.jpg
    NINTCHDBPICT000452869772.jpg
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,131

Yawn. 👎I take it you’ve never read a single page of Fleming then. 🤦🏼‍♂️🤣.

Just reading LALD in the sunshine....Elba would actually make a brilliant Mr. Big. 👍

Elba is a charismatic, talented and cool actor, but he can’t physically play a white character. If this casting happened, I wouldn’t watch the film as it is no longer the character.
    So... These people didn't bother turning up at The Dark Tower or Star Trek Beyond, in spite of having Idris Elba in it and being an adaptation of a Stephen King bestseller and part of an old an fairly popular franchise with many fans, but they'll just flock to a Bond movie with Elba? I don't buy it. I mean, sure, he has his fans, but he was never associated with box office gold. To be fair nobody is these days, except maybe Tom Cruise. But I think Idris Elba needs Bond (or anything like Bond) than Bond needs him. Beside at 47 now he's far too old, regardless of where one stands on the race question.

+1.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

The Dark Tower was abysmal. It needs and deserves the Game of Thrones treatment.

The Dark Tower was abysmal. It needs and deserves the Game of Thrones treatment.

Agreed. I turned it off after 30 mins.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    suavejmf wrote: »

Agreed. I turned it off after 30 mins.

Idris Elba is also a moot argument now as he’s become a TikTok rapper.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    "This photoshoot could be from a Bond film...love the outfit" - presents a good looking black man, overaged, on a leather jacket and black attire...

I'm off this thread. I just can't bare it. Do cary on, "Bond fans". And feel free to nail me to a cross. Damn Fleming purists, right? Times they ar a changing. Must fight the system. All opinion counts. Everything is valid. And so on, right? Well, ok then. I loose, you guys win. Cute baby faced James Dean lookalikes, black dudes, you guys just know Bond.

And this is me expressing my opinion on a forum, before you ask, or come wailing that all fans deserve to share their views.

Well, I'm off. Have fun.

His acting skills puts most of the bond candidates to shame, but height, height, height, damn his height.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 2,436
    Jonas Nay

3cb83f8b-77f0-49f2-8bee-b937515e7436-stv_deutschland86_ka_digital_hero_16x9_f_altedit.jpg?w=970&h=546&fit=crop&crop=faces&auto=format%2Ccompress&cs=srgb&q=70

jonas_nay_bn0l48.jpg

RTL_Deutschland83_Teaser-formatkey-jpg-w983m.jpg

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I’d love to see Peter Dinklage as a Bond villain one day. Great actor who has amazing range.
  • Jonas Nay

3cb83f8b-77f0-49f2-8bee-b937515e7436-stv_deutschland86_ka_digital_hero_16x9_f_altedit.jpg?w=970&h=546&fit=crop&crop=faces&auto=format%2Ccompress&cs=srgb&q=70
    I may have been an interesting or even a promising choice considering the probable hiatus before a new movie, if he wasn't German. His nationality withdraws him from the race.
    Jonas Nay

I may have been an interesting or even a promising choice considering the probable hiatus before a new movie, if he wasn't German. His nationality withdraws him from the race.

He's an actor - he can act as a Brit!
    Jonas Nay

He's an actor - he can act as a Brit!

Not necessarily. Most American actors can only do a laughable impression of an English accent.

There are plenty of decent Brit actors to chose from so we don’t need a German one. Bond shouldn’t even drive a German car let alone be played by a German!! 😂😂

Adolf Gettler as Ian Fleming’s James Bond 007....no thank you! 🤦🏼‍♂️🤣😂

Well, I'm off. Have fun.

His acting skills puts most of the bond candidates to shame, but height, height, height, damn his height.

Facially, physically AND height wise he isn’t Bond.

Not to mention that he is American, which is an auto rejection.
    I was using him for shock and logic dynamics. I wasn't being literal. The point I was trying to make is that people (well...one) in this thread is proposing names (well...one) that just don't fit the character. I don't go around dribbling balls in football just because I think it's valid. There are some things that are game, others are not. I'm not interested in ruining institutions just to earn social kudos. Destruction and reinvention aren't always the things one must go for. And this is coming from a liberal.
    I was using him for shock and logic dynamics. I wasn't being literal. The point I was trying to make is that people (well...one) in this thread is proposing names (well...one) that just don't fit the character. I don't go around dribbling balls in football just because I think it's valid. There are some things that are game, others are not. I'm not interested in ruining institutions just to earn social kudos. Destruction and reinvention aren't always the things one must go for. And this is coming from a liberal.

+1. Well said, I agree.

If an actor can’t fulfil the bare minimum criteria below they should be an auto rejection (absolute no exceptions):

- White British
    - Actor
    - Height 5ft 10in as a minimum
    - Age 35 - 50 (depending on looks)