Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,131
    Yes, O'Connell is a good actor. And the height is the only thing that could be held against him, I think. He has everything else. Whether that's enough to rule him out or not is down to personal opinion, I suppose.

He’s not my idea of James Bond at all. He’s a bit nondescript, not a natural leading man in my view. He looks like an ‘everyman’.

I’m not denying he’s a good actor though.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Yes, O'Connell is a good actor. And the height is the only thing that could be held against him, I think. He has everything else. Whether that's enough to rule him out or not is down to personal opinion, I suppose.

He’s not my idea of James Bond at all. He’s a bit nondescript, not a natural leading man in my view. He looks like an ‘everyman’.

I’m not denying he’s a good actor though.

I disagree, I think he's well able to carry a film on his shoulders. But for arguments sake - even if I did agree, I also thought the same of Daniel Craig at one point!
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I think O'Connell tends to come across as more of a squaddie than an officer, though I've never seen him try an upper-middle-class public school type of character. It might work for him, or it might not - some actors take easily to accents, and some master an accent at the cost of losing something from their performance. Sean Bean is never as good away from his Sheffield accent, for example (imo).

I'm 5'9'' and I think that's probably too small to work for Bond. It's not all about height alone, though - American actor Ed Harris is the same height as me, but he looks taller simply because his faces' bone structure just screams 'tough'. He always gives me the impression of a big guy on screen because of this. O'Connell doesn't strike me as particularly short, but he doesn't come across as tall, either; he's rugged, but a little boyish. I think it might be a bit of a stretch for him to be Bond, though I don't know for sure.

As far as acting goes, he's very well regarded. Lots of actors that we've talked about as potential candidates would kill for the acting credibility this guy has. If Aidan Turner had the lead in films like '71, Starred Up, and Unbroken in his filmography, he would be laughing. These are the sort of serious, gritty performances that would make the taller, male model-looking candidates actual contenders, if only they'd played them. I think he'll get a screen-test, I'm just not sure he'll ace it. He's more Callan than Bond, imo.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,131
    I think O'Connell tends to come across as more of a squaddie than an officer, though I've never seen him try an upper-middle-class public school type of character.

My thoughts exactly. No doubt this will cause uproar....but he even has that ‘look’. You could easily see him in a local miners club.....vest, Tattoos and a pint of bitter.

For example, Tom Hiddleston looks like an Officer. He looks a tad ‘toff.’ O’Connell doesn’t IMO.

Totally snobbery, but the type of snobbery Fleming included in his books in his descriptions of people.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Tom Hiddleston comes across too snobby for my taste, and I think he would be a James Bond that would make me uncomfortable - I can't quite put my finger on why though.
    I think O'Connell tends to come across as more of a squaddie than an officer, though I've never seen him try an upper-middle-class public school type of character.

My thoughts exactly. No doubt this will cause uproar....but he even has that ‘look’. You could easily see him in a local miners club.

For example, Tom Hiddleston looks like an Officer. He looks a tad ‘toff.’ O’Connell doesn’t IMO.

Totally snobbery, but the type of snobbery Fleming included in his books in his descriptions of people.

Ummm.....hiring toffs to play Bond does not work. Remember, Sean Connery was the epitome of the working class. He was a coffin polisher and a milkman. Fleming hated his casting and called him an overpaid stuntman. He ended up eating those words.

If you think O'Connell can't handle drama, then watch Starred Up. If you think he can't do action then watch '71. If you think he can't be suave and sexy then watch Seberg.

He's got everything needed to be Bond....just a tad short. But without that he's someone to keep a serious eye on. Let's wait and see....he's probably the best actor being mentioned in contention for the part.

DKuheM4XoAAA7cx.jpg
    gallery_large.jpg
    Cat-on-a-hot-tin-roof--653x653.jpg
    tumblr_psbh5ahiRE1s7tmc6o1_1280.jpg
    f76a375bf49d617a7ea3b4f9bd78016b7019e39b.jpg
    tumblr_px4txbV7j71qbujjjo2_500.png
    tumblr_pe6hykmSy31s7tmc6o1_500.png
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Tom Hiddleston comes across too snobby for my taste, and I think he would be a James Bond that would make me uncomfortable - I can't quite put my finger on why though.

That’s fair enough.

See, I’d quite like a ‘posher’ Bond with the next casting. Ian Fleming himself apparently wanted David Niven originally and he really was ‘top of the toffs’.

• sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex

Exactly. From Russia with Love: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."

He is a bit of a snob. I'm okay with that. I'm from an English middle-class family and I don't have the inverted snobbery that I see from some Americans about the British upper-classes. I don't have the fascination for them either, mind you, but there you go.

I don't think Bond's public school background is something that needs to be changed just because some people no longer consider it to be acceptable for a hero. Bond is literally old-school.

I don't think that means you have to have an actor from the same background to play him, but they do have to play convincingly from that background to some degree, or at least not actively go against it. I just don't know if O'Connell can do that.

Exactly. From Russia with Love: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."

He is a bit of a snob. I'm okay with that. I'm from an English middle-class family and I don't have the inverted snobbery that I see from some Americans about the British upper-classes. I don't have the fascination for them either, mind you, but there you go.

I don't think Bond's public school background is something that needs to be changed just because some people no longer consider it to be acceptable for a hero. Bond is literally old-school.

I don't think that means you have to have an actor from the same background to play him, but they do have to play convincingly from that background to some degree, or at least not actively go against it. I just don't know if O'Connell can do that.

Good post. My thoughts exactly.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I like O'Connell but I'm seeing to be drawn more and more towards Sean Teale - also from Skins, and despite his mixed heritage that a lot of others are not a fan of, he's incredibly Bondian for his age, and I think could be an interesting choice.

nup_170577_0180.jpg
    30INCORPORATED-superJumbo.jpg
    I like O'Connell but I'm seeing to be drawn more and more towards Sean Teale - also from Skins, and despite his mixed heritage that a lot of others are not a fan of, he's incredibly Bondian for his age, and I think could be an interesting choice.

nup_170577_0180.jpg
    30INCORPORATED-superJumbo.jpg

Looks a tad young, no idea how he is as an actor but can't see the mixed heritage on these pictures and he does have the elegance of nothing else. For the record, I'd have no problem at all if someone of mixed heritage like this Sean Teale were to get the role.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited June 2020 Posts: 1,318
    Jack doesn't wear a suit like Bond does. The suit wears him.

jack-oconnell-walks-the-red-carpet-ahead-of-the-seberg-screening-the-picture-id1172223914?s=612x612

This is how Bond wears a suit

ZS5kDOA.jpg
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I continue to fail to see it. He just doesn’t have the presence to command a room.
    I continue to fail to see it. He just doesn’t have the presence to command a room.

O'Connell yes. Indeed.
    That isn’t who I was talking about.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Yeah, Treadstone was a bit of a waste. Anyway, I did some fan art for Sean Teale. I'm gonna put it in spoiler tags so people who aren't interested don't have to look.
    45Pj2v6.jpg
    Young Koskov! Well done.
    That makes no sense but ok :) Do you have any suggestions? I'd love to see your Top 5.

I don t have a top five, but just for fun to indulge you.

First that spring to mind: Michael Fassbender, Michiel Huisman, Stuart Martin, Tom Hardy, Theo James.

Before we get there, I am sure someone else will pop up more suited.

Fassbender any day, Theo James is a decent actor but haven't seen much from him.
    Jack doesn't wear a suit like Bond does. The suit wears him.

jack-oconnell-walks-the-red-carpet-ahead-of-the-seberg-screening-the-picture-id1172223914?s=612x612

This is how Bond wears a suit

ZS5kDOA.jpg

Turner looks far more like a Bond. He looks like an artists impression on one of Fleming’s books. O’Connell looks like Mr. Average (apart from the height which is below average).

Thankfully some people have better vision than others :)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    O'Connel just looks too unconventional for Bond. He has the looks better suited to following Jodie Whittaker as the next Doctor.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Please don’t present your opinion as a fact - it’s really frustrating.

Thank you. Turner is constantly put forward in this thread, we should be able to constantly detract without this sort of nonsense.
    O'Connel just looks too unconventional for Bond. He has the looks better suited to following Jodie Whittaker as the next Doctor.

+1.
    Turner does look damn good in a suit.

Don't twist my words, they aren't open to creative interpretation, just a tongue in cheek remark. Some people are so stiff around here. Relax.

Thank you. Turner is constantly put forward in this thread, we should be able to constantly detract without this sort of nonsense.

Funny you say that as I observe other names mentioned at least as much such as O'Connell, by certain people around here. There are camps, deal with it. Turner happens to have the popular vote.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,554
    I'm not sure Turner has the credits. While DC was a relative unknown, he did have some pretty meaty roles in big films, such as Road to Perdition and Munich. Turner is still trafficking in total obscurity, known only by British TV audiences. (Obscurity is good, but too much can be a detriment.)

I really like Jamie Dornan, and had he not gone into Christian Grey territory, he'd be a favorite. But I can't see EON going with an actor that audiences see on screen and say, "That's the Fifty Shades of Grey guy."

Ditto Henry Cavill, to a higher degree. He's Superman. Done.

Robert Pattinson is another one. I really think he had a good shot at this. Now he's Batman. Done.

Hiddleston is too old, folks. So are Fassbender and Elba. Both would be great in a one-off. But we know that that is not in the cards. They're out.

Based on look, credits, and "some" obscurity, my top three are Norton, Madden, and dark horse Jeremy Irvine (posted earlier). I prefer Irvine only because he's 4-5 years younger than Norton and Madden and could grow with the role a little longer--but this is a personal preference. At the rate we are going, Bond 26 will be out in 2023 or 2024. Norton and Madden will be pushing 40 by that time. Just something to consider.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,869

Don't twist my words, they aren't open to creative interpretation, just a tongue in cheek remark. Some people are so stiff around here. Relax.
    And some can’t seem to relax or hold their tongue when people question or don’t agree about Aidan Turner.

And some can’t seem to relax or hold their tongue when people question or don’t agree about Aidan Turner.

That's a good joke @Denbigh . You know that isn't true. Turner gets a lot of heat from the naysayers in general
    There's a part of me that feels the next Bond actor could actually be a one off considering the longer gaps. If so, I'd be up to see Fassbender tackle the part.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Nearly every suggestion on this page has been compared to Turner in some shape or form as if he is somehow James Bond by default.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Turner does look good in a suit, I must admit.