Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    We're Number One! We're Number One! We're Number One!!!

(You are.......Number Six.)

=))
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I'm all with you, folks. I'm just afraid the situation is beyond enough people to not make a difference on November 3, and the current status will be extended for four years. But then, I'm also sure that climate change won't be stopped by this world. Both of it combined leading me to the question why one should worry, as there's nothing desirable to save. (Yes, I know this is very fatalistic...but I'm afraid also realistic.)
    Anyone else noticed the Countries doing worst in all stats for coronavirus tend to be run by right wing governments?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    "The thought had occurred to me." Though I'm not sure this applies entirely to Italy and France. And I don't really believe the latest numbers from China (not exactly right-wing in theory) either. But the one thing that's sure is that the figures are worst where the ruling persons don't give a shit about certain segments of the populations surviving or not.
    I miss the days when all we had to worry on was some nut with a space laser & a bathosub.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    According to one recent study as many as 36,000 deaths in the US could have been prevented – if shelter in place and social distancing measures had gone into effect earlier.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/20/us/coronavirus-distancing-deaths.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20200520&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=cta&regi_id=65264959&segment_id=28630&user_id=93ff02c00271eafc82c5a7877325800d

Without being (yet again) overtly political, clearly mistakes were made, both in the political decision-making process, but also in the public’s early perception about the seriousness on COVID-19. And in light of the inexact science regarding COVID-19, some mistakes were – in retrospect – inevitable. What was, as is, unforgivable, are those leaders that put their head in the sand and/or lied about the issue.

And even now, as the US death toll reaches 95,000, there are some that question the need for masks and social distancing. Here in New York, one of the sports talk radio hosts, angered by the indifference of some, today, put out a call for those listeners that were not wearing a mask to call in so that he could gauge their reasoning. While a couple of the respondents cited medical conditions as preventing them from wearing a mask, several claimed that they didn’t believe anything coming out of the CDC.

This is what happens when political leaders demonize science and misconstrue the normal degree of uncertainty of scientific research as indicating incompetence or malfeasance. It also doesn’t help when certain political leaders then use legitimate uncertainty to give voice to conspiracy nonsense (now who could that be?? wink..wink 😊).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2020 Posts: 15,690
    1st death from coronavirus: January 9th.
    100 deaths reached on January 27th (18 days later).
    500 deaths reached on February 5th (9 days later).
    1,000 deaths reached on February 10th (5 days later).
    5,000 deaths reached on March 13th (32 days later).
    10,000 deaths reached on March 19th (6 days later).
    15,000 deaths reached on March 23rd (4 days later).
    20,000 deaths reached on March 25th (2 days later).
    25,000 deaths reached on March 27th (2 days later).
    30,000 deaths reached on March 28th (1 day later).
    35,000 deaths reached on March 30th (2 days later).
    40,000 deaths reached on March 31st (1 day later).
    45,000 deaths reached on April 1st (1 day later).
    50,000 deaths reached on April 2nd (1 day later).
    60,000 deaths reached on April 4th (2 days later).
    70,000 deaths reached on April 6th (2 days later).
    80,000 deaths reached on April 7th (1 day later).
    90,000 deaths reached on April 9th (2 days later).
    100,000 deaths reached on April 10th (1 day later).
    110,000 deaths reached on April 12th (2 days later).
    120,000 deaths reached on April 14th (2 days later).
    130,000 deaths reached on April 15th (1 day later).
    140,000 deaths reached on April 16th (1 day later).
    150,000 deaths reached on April 17th (1 day later).
    160,000 deaths reached on April 18th (1 day later).
    170,000 deaths reached on April 20th (2 days later).
    180,000 deaths reached on April 21st (1 day later).
    190,000 deaths reached on April 23rd (2 days later).
    200,000 deaths reached on April 24th (1 day later).
    210,000 deaths reached on April 26th (2 days later).
    220,000 deaths reached on April 28th (2 days later).
    230,000 deaths reached on April 30th (2 days later).
    240,000 deaths reached on May 2nd (2 days later).
    250,000 deaths reached on May 4th (2 days later).
    260,000 deaths reached on May 6th (2 days later).
    270,000 deaths reached on May 7th (1 day later).
    280,000 deaths reached on May 9th (2 days later).
    290,000 deaths reached on May 13th (3 days later).
    300,000 deaths reached on May 14th (1 day later).
    310,000 deaths reached on May 16th (2 days later).
    320,000 deaths reached on May 19th (3 days later).
    330,000 deaths reached on May 21st (2 days later).

By Monday (May 25th), the USA will cross 100,000 deaths.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited May 2020 Posts: 23,544
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I'm all with you, folks. I'm just afraid the situation is beyond enough people to not make a difference on November 3, and the current status will be extended for four years. But then, I'm also sure that climate change won't be stopped by this world. Both of it combined leading me to the question why one should worry, as there's nothing desirable to save. (Yes, I know this is very fatalistic...but I'm afraid also realistic.)

About climate change... Seeing how people are screaming about "the economy" when lives are at stake, I'm afraid doing anything about climate change is going to be tough--though not impossible. But at least we can say for sure that climate change will not only force us all into a much weaker economical position than we are in right now, but doing something about it will demand economical sacrifices of a magnitude far above the "corona type". Those who wanted to re-open faster than common sense dictates haven't even begun to realize the cost of surviving the next five to ten decades...

And this comes from an eternal optimist. ;)

I assume many of these people prefer the warm blanket of ignorance and deliberate denial. Seeing how we are picking our leaders today, I'm confident that really is the case. Understand one thing: the only chance of survival we have, the only chance of pushing back global warming, is by focusing all our attention on it, for many decades to come, and as a world-wide joint-venture between nations, regardless of politics, economy, cultural differences and more. Corona could have been a rehearsal of sorts, it could have taught us something about sharing information, choosing our priorities well, and more. I'm not happy with the results, I must say.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Project Pitlane: F1 teams unite in the fight against COVID-19:

Very inspirational video about human innovation in the face of adversity.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

About climate change... Seeing how people are screaming about "the economy" when lives are at stake, I'm afraid doing anything about climate change is going to be tough--though not impossible. But at least we can say for sure that climate change will not only force us all into a much weaker economical position than we are in right now, but doing something about it will demand economical sacrifices of a magnitude far above the "corona type". Those who wanted to re-open faster than common sense dictates haven't even begun to realize the cost of surviving the next five to ten decades...

And this comes from an eternal optimist. ;)

I assume many of these people prefer the warm blanket of ignorance and deliberate denial. Seeing how we are picking our leaders today, I'm confident that really is the case. Understand one thing: the only chance of survival we have, the only chance of pushing back global warming, is by focusing all our attention on it, for many decades to come, and as a world-wide joint-venture between nations, regardless of politics, economy, cultural differences and more. Corona could have been a rehearsal of sorts, it could have taught us something about sharing information, choosing our priorities well, and more. I'm not happy with the results, I must say.

Yeah I think there's something in this. All animals have an instinct to survive and benefit from a situation. Sure we have to point learned to cooperate, empathise and whatever, but really large swathes of humanity is out for itself, isn't too bright and looks to a "leader" to tell them what to do.

By definition half of the human species is below average intelligence. Once you realise that, it makes other peoples decision making and actions more understandable.
    This just in : the second round of the municipal elections will tke place on june 28th in France :

https://www.jeanmarcmorandini.com/article-425707-en-direct-municipales-edouard-philippe-annonce-que-le-second-tour-se-tiendra-le-28-juin-prochain-chaque-electeur-devra-porter-un-masque-de-protection-christophe-castaner-video.html

Frankly, I think it's a bit too soon for that. In fact, there shouldn't have been a first round at all either, IMHO. But I'm not a politician.
    The number of Corona deaths in Belgium has once again gone down but since re-opening in a very controlled fashion, the R0-value seems to be climbing again. I cannot stress enough how important it is not to re-open on a whim.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    The number of Corona deaths in Belgium has once again gone down but since re-opening in a very controlled fashion, the R0-value seems to be climbing again. I cannot stress enough how important it is not to re-open on a whim.

It's not a whim. It's a plan. The only plan they've got.
    Doctors in France say they have identified several Covid-19 cases dating back to 16 November 2019. This would mean the earliest confirmed cases in France would pre-date the earliest confirmed case in China (17 November 2019).

http://www.rfi.fr/en/france/20200520-scans-show-french-patients-were-sick-with-covid-19-in-mid-november-doctors-say-colmar-haut-rhin

This would confirm the coronavirus outbreak was active in China long before they announced it, which means that either China didn't know, or they withheld the information.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Now is not a good time to demonize/antagonize China.

All countries need to work together on a solution!
    echo wrote: »
    Now is not a good time to demonize/antagonize China.

Very random statement, may I ask who it is aimed at?
    Blaming anybody for this disease is rather stupid, if the pharmaceutical industry had continued working on a solution/vaccine of the previous covids we might be getting somewhere, but there was no financial gain to be had, perhaps this can be altered now and for the future so that this industry has the obligation to find cures and vaccine for everything, which might safe the world from a new and similar outbreak somewhere down the line.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Blaming anybody for this disease is rather stupid, if the pharmaceutical industry had continued working on a solution/vaccine of the previous covids we might be getting somewhere, but there was no financial gain to be had, perhaps this can be altered now and for the future so that this industry has the obligation to find cures and vaccine for everything, which might safe the world from a new and similar outbreak somewhere down the line.

I am afraid you are getting your wish.
    74 residents of an old soldiers' home just south of us have died of Covid-19. My boss' Dad died of it in a local nursing home. An online friend got it and spent a few days in hospital, and made it out alive. Pretty sure this is no hoax.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    74 residents of an old soldiers' home just south of us have died of Covid-19. My boss' Dad died of it in a local nursing home. An online friend got it and spent a few days in hospital, and made it out alive. Pretty sure this is no hoax.

So sorry to read this, @chrisisall. My thoughts are with the men's families.

And no, this is not a hoax, this is the farthest thing from a hoax. Whoever fails to grasp the seriousness of the situation at this point is utterly delusional. Denial is only a demonstration of one's failure to stomach the pressure that comes with this epidemic and that will stay with us, most likely another year and a half at the very least, if not much longer.
    Yesterday, for the first time since March 26th, the world-wide daily death-toll was below 3,000, with precisely 2,826 recorded fatalities.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Matt007 wrote: »
    By definition half of the human species is below average intelligence.
    You're thinking of the median, not the average.

There, my OCD is under control again.
    mattjoes wrote: »

That made me laugh. :)
    Yesterday, for the first time since March 26th, the world-wide daily death-toll was below 3,000, with precisely 2,826 recorded fatalities.

That's good news.

Are any trustworthy figures coming in from the so-called developing countries?

=)) =D>
    @DarthDimi It is estimated that the next epicenter of the outbreak will be in South America, now that Europe and Asia have more or less gotten it under control. Brazil and Mexico in particular are close to being overrun by the influx of new cases and fatalities. The one anomaly outside of that continent is Russia, where the outbreak has been spiraling out of control in the past 2 weeks. Russia shot up the order in terms of total cases by recording over 10,000 new cases every day for over 10 consecutive days. They are now the 3rd most affected country, behind only the USA and Brazil.

The USA are expected to cross the 100,000 death ''milestone'' by tomorrow.
    For the first time since early March, we have 0 deaths here in Republic of Ireland!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    For the first time since early March, we have 0 deaths here in Republic of Ireland!

Very good! Glad to read that!
    Any other UK people on here been watching the Cummings saga unfold? Surely he can't survive this, right? It's not about leave and remain or left and right, it's about right and wrong, trust, honesty, transparency. I think if he gets away with it it sets a dangerous precedent, and will shift the Tories even further towards the American Republican playbook. Terrifying times.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Great news. Nice to see our neighbours doing well.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 1,314

=)) =D>

@mattjoes @chrisisall

median is a type of average. Along with mode and mean.

There’s no need to control your ocd, but brushing up on your primary school maths might be a better use of your time.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

=)) =D>

@mattjoes @chrisisall

median is a type of average. Along with mode and mean.

There’s no need to control your ocd, but brushing up on your primary school maths might be a better use of your time.
    I think the tone of your post is regrettable, considering my original comment was meant to be a correction, but wasn't intended to be mocking or aggressive (the OCD comment was in fact meant to give it a self-deprecating touch). Coloquially, the arithmetic mean is often referred to as an average (at least in my language), which is what I assumed you were referring to in your original post. If that is not the case as you now point out, then I was wrong in that respect. However, if you were referring to any average (as your comment would otherwise suggest, since you just said 'average' and nothing more specific), then claiming that by definition, half of the human race is inferior in intelligence to said average is incorrect on account of being imprecise, since this doesn't necessarily hold true for all types of average (for instance, the arithmetic mean). I'll drop the subject now for my sake and everyone else's.