Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• Thrasos wrote: »
    My last point is this. I find it ironic that here we are in a James Bond forum, yet some here express very cautious opinions.

I'm a Batman fan....and I must acknowledge that the Caped Crusader's methods sometimes violate his opponents' civil rights. There's fantasy...and there's reality. Bond and Batman both live in fantasy worlds. I can enjoy them both without denying reality, just as I can laugh at the Three Stooges without trying to gouge other people's eyes out or tear out handfuls of their hair.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    Especially in a country where there's no universal Healthcare but people have to pay for it themselves.
    Ohhh, yeah. Compared to other countries we are screwed here and now.

You've probably heard this before: "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." November is coming, even though it may not be here as soon as we'd like... but that just gives us more time to get to work. Stay positive, @chrisisall, all things must pass...
    US citizens don t have the same safety net as here in Europe if they lose their jobs, either.

Perhaps something to consider before calling anti-lockdown protesters "irresponsible" and "morons".

I'm an American citizen who has been "on hiatus" from his job for 2 months now... and I support (and frequently utilize) our right to protest. Nonetheless, I will continue to call the people who bring guns to public protests irresponsible morons and worse. They're wanna-be fascists and terrorists, criminals who belong behind bars. If the shoe fits, you may want to get a new pair...

I know the gun culture in the US is very different to the UK, but is it really socially acceptable/legal to brandish guns about the place like that? In the UK even if you have a licence for a gun for shooting birds, or even an air rifle, it is a firearms offence to have them out in public.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    It depends on the state or even the city. Some states even have "open carry" laws in the south. The larger cities (NY, LA) have gun control laws.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    But, unless we're considering using guns to shoot the Coronavirus, perhaps we can return to actual virus talk. ;-) Thanks, fellas!
    Gun sales are actually up in the US because of the epidemic. Why, I have no idea.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52189349
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    echo wrote: »
    Gun sales are actually up in the US because of the epidemic. Why, I have no idea.

Probably for basically the same reason that others are stockpiling toilet paper. They are believing there will be shortages, and are afraid of ending up at the losing end unless they are armed to fight their way to the remaining supplies. Sick, really, but living in a country that allows every nut to buy guns, sort of plausible.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited May 2020 Posts: 7,526

I wonder if it's like gold, people buy more when they're afraid regardless of practicality.

Maybe they think the virus will result in a Mad-Max-esque wasteland type post-apocalypse. :P

This is my first day back at work after 8 weeks off; I'm controlling (non-existent) flow at the restaurant I work at. Come say hi if you're in Vancouver! lol
    @NickTwentyTwo

Vancouver... is that where many films are shot, pretending they're taking place in NY? :p
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @NickTwentyTwo

Vancouver... is that where many films are shot, pretending they're taking place in NY? :p

Nailed it :P In Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, we were Dubai (interiors, but still ;) )!

Which now that I think about it means Lea Seydoux was here... neat.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Especially in a country where there's no universal Healthcare but people have to pay for it themselves.

You've probably heard this before: "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." November is coming, even though it may not be here as soon as we'd like... but that just gives us more time to get to work. Stay positive, @chrisisall, all things must pass...

I just worry on the Electoral Traitors. I mean College.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

As a non-American (who generally agrees with every critical opinion about Trump) but with a bit of knowledge of U.S. constitutional law, I do not approve of calling the members of the Electoral College "traitors". The entire thing may be obsolete, but there's no need to denigrate the members of the Electoral College, whatever their political orientation. It's the mechanics of the whole thing that need overhauling (urgently!!!) but not the members themselves, having been determined in tune with the rules applicable so far.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

As a non-American (who generally agrees with every critical opinion about Trump) but with a bit of knowledge of U.S. constitutional law, I do not approve of calling the members of the Electoral College "traitors". The entire thing may be obsolete, but there's no need to denigrate the members of the Electoral College, whatever their political orientation. It's the mechanics of the whole thing that need overhauling (urgently!!!) but not the members themselves, having been determined in tune with the rules applicable so far.

The system has been bought- the College (a laughable term now) is corrupt. Political orientation? No such thing now. It's money, all I can get. Now. Now. Tomorrow does not exist. It's like an evil Buddha mantra.... Covid 19 has become a tool.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    With over 16,000 new cases and 1,000 new deaths in the past 24 hours, the outbreak is now out of control in Brazil. And sadly, they have a President who believes the pandemic is a hoax.
    We have somehow forgotten to mention the pandemic in Africa or South America in favor of moaning about the US democracy,
    Earlier on there where horrific images of dead people lying in the streets in South America showing that the infrastructure of a country can be easily overwhelmed by the amount of dead people.
    The pandemic is now showing its horrific face in South America and probably seriously in Brazil because its ruler did not believe in science of Covid-19.
    What the damage in Africa is I have not been able to follow but it would not surprise me if the current reported death-toll would be much higher in areas that have no medical coverage.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    it would not surprise me if the current reported death-toll would be much higher in areas that have no medical coverage.

Sadly, @SaintMark, that is most likely very true. A true drama is unspooling there while we are slowly rebuilding. These distractions will keep us from even caring, and that's problematic.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    A terrible consequence of the pandemic and the lockdowns is that air pollution in China is already spiking to record levels (even compared to pre-lockdown figures). This is due to the social distancing measures (and the scare of catching the virus) which makes most Chinese citizens take their car to work instead of the crowded public transports.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-china-lockdown-over-air-pollution-already-spiking-industry-dirty-economic-rebound/
    And ironically, in places with lockdowns, the drop in air pollution is leading to an increase in global warming!

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/cleaning-up-air-pollution-may-strengthen-global-warming/

We can't win.

• edited May 2020 Posts: 6,677
    We can't win.

I always hear Ourumov saying that ;)

And I always hope that someone presses some sort of button right after it.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    A bit off topic but this cyclone in my state in India and Bangladesh might make things worse with virus, sadly.
    https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/live-updates-cyclone-amphan-intl-hnk/index.html
    Sorry to hear about that. Hope everything for you and those around you. Natural disasters like that are always a very scary thing.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited May 2020 Posts: 2,541
    Thanks man, nothing much happened here but it was scary, might be the first cyclone like that I have seen in my life. Two of my windows smashed and fell on the street due to that cyclone, thank God no one was walking by at that moment.
    That does sound scary, especially with the smashed windows! We're supposed to have a big earthquake at some point in the future due to the faults we're near, so there's always the possibility and it definitely freaks me out sometimes. Glad you're ok!
    Yesterday, in the bus that was driving me to the station, a woman had to disembark because she didn't wear a mask. She was not happy. Myself, I was stopped at the station in Paris : apparently, wearing a mask is also mandatory in trainstations, and not just on trains themselves. Given the temperatures we're experiencing these days, I find them quite uncomfortable to wear, but I have no choice in the matter, right ?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Gerard wrote: »
    Yesterday, in the bus that was driving me to the station, a woman had to disembark because she didn't wear a mask. She was not happy. Myself, I was stopped at the station in Paris : apparently, wearing a mask is also mandatory in trainstations, and not just on trains themselves. Given the temperatures we're experiencing these days, I find them quite uncomfortable to wear, but I have no choice in the matter, right ?

Happy we don t have quite this level of idiocy here.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2020 Posts: 23,407
    Regarding masks I wear them for several hours and also wear goggles and protective face shield with other PPE. Initially I found them uncomfortable when warm though I guess I have adapted.

Generally out in public its not mandatory to wear masks in the in the UK. I have purchased several masks myself though rarely worn them as I get to shop before everyone else, so the supermarket is almost empty.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 15,690
    This past week, 3.3 million US citizens registered to claim unemployment benefits. This is the all-time highest unemployment rate in US history. The previous record was set in 1982, when unemployment claims hit 695,000.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52050426

As feared, the global economy will be left in very, very bad shape from the coronavirus.
    The US has once again obliterated their all-time highest unemployment rate, as this past week 6.6 million US citizens registered to claim unemployment benefits.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/02/economy/unemployment-benefits-coronavirus/index.html
    A further 6.6 million US citizens have filed for unemployment benefits this past week. That makes for a total of 16 million jobs lost in the United States in the past 3 weeks. For comparison, the 2008 financial crisis accounted for a total 9 million jobs lost, over a much longer period (18 months).
    Another 5.5 million US citizens have filed for unemployment benefits this past week. There is now a total of nearly 22 million jobs lost in the United States in the last month. This is nearly 32 times than the previous highest unemployment rate in U.S. history (695,000 jobless citizens in 1982).

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/jobless-claims-hovered-at-5-2-million-last-week-over-21-million-have-filed-for-unemployment-in-pandemic
    Another 4.4 million US citizens have filed for unemployment benefits this past week. There is now a total of of 26.4 million jobs lost in the United States since the coronavirus outbreak begun. This means that more than 15% of the U.S. workforce are now unemployed. This is nearly 38 more times more than the previous highest unemployment rate in U.S. history.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52398837
    A further 3.8 million US citizens have filed for unemployment benefits this past week. There is now a total of over 30 million jobs lost in the United States since the coronavirus outbreak begun. This is over 43 times bigger than the previous highest unemployment rate in U.S. history (695,000 jobless citizens in 1982).

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/30/us-weekly-jobless-claims.html
    Another 3.5 million US citizens have filed for unemployment benefits this past week. There is now a total of over 33.5 million jobs lost in the United States since the coronavirus outbreak begun. This is over 48 times bigger than the previous highest unemployment rate in U.S. history (695,000 jobless citizens in 1982).

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-economy/us-unemployment-rolls-seen-swelling-as-coronavirus-restrictions-bite-idUSKBN22J0HT
    Another 3 million US citizens have filed for unemployment benefits this past week. There is now a total of over 36.5 million jobs lost in the United States since the coronavirus outbreak begun. One in four US workers are now unemployed. This is over 52 times bigger than the previous highest unemployment rate in U.S. history (695,000 jobless citizens in 1982).

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52664929

A further 2.4 million US citizens have filed for unemployment benefits this past week. There is now a total of nearly 39 million jobs lost in the United States since the coronavirus outbreak begun. This is over 56 times bigger than the previous highest unemployment rate in U.S. history (695,000 jobless citizens in 1982).

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/21/economy/unemployment-benefits-coronavirus/index.html
    edited May 2020 Posts: 23,562

Leading the world in the number of COVID-cases is a good thing... Just when you thought things couldn't get any worse...
  • We're Number One! We're Number One! We're Number One!!!

(You are.......Number Six.)
    A "super duper" number of infected people.