Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• edited May 2020 Posts: 1,314
    Thrasos wrote: »

I think they're un-American. Also glad some beaches here have reopened, but we need to reopen all of them.

I think officials and people in general need to get over their fear and reopen, go back to normal.

Dude no offence but I don’t think you think at all.

One thing this virus has hit home is the large number of anti intellectuals there are, particularly it would seem In America. People who admit they know nothing but have opinions on everything. Health experts who have dedicated a lifetimes work to the transmission of infectious diseases know less about about health than say, a pizza delivery guy? Are you actually serious?

How can you admire People protesting for the right to potentially kill someone. People unwilling to make a short term sacrifice for the long term benefit of society? It’s a Mob like mentality from people who are one step away from the Salem witch trials.

I’m not asking you to care- but believe me, most of the rest of the western world is shaking it’s head in disbelief at how bereft large parts of America and it’s people are in terms of compassion and intelligence.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 3,279
    Matt007 wrote: »

I think they're un-American. Also glad some beaches here have reopened, but we need to reopen all of them.

I think officials and people in general need to get over their fear and reopen, go back to normal.

One thing this virus has hit home is the large number of anti intellectuals there are, particularly it would seem In America. People who admit they know nothing but have opinions on everything. Health experts who have dedicated a lifetimes work to the transmission of infectious diseases know less about about health than say, a pizza delivery guy? Are you actually serious?

How can you admire People protesting for the right to potentially kill someone. People unwilling to make a short term sacrifice for the long term benefit of society? It’s a Mob like mentality from people who are one step away from the Salem witch trials.

I’m not asking you to care- but believe me, most of the rest of the western world is shaking it’s head in disbelief at how bereft large parts of America and it’s people are in terms of compassion and intelligence.

Well said. I don't think any sane rational person thinks like this.

What made me laugh was seeing the angry US protesters, yet many were wearing face masks for protection from the virus. The level of intelligence on display is staggering, and shames America as a country. Then again, how could a country vote in someone like Trump in the first place.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Wuhan, where the coronavirus first emerged, has reported its first clusters of new infections since early April.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-52613138
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 616
    What made me laugh was seeing the angry US protesters, yet many were wearing face masks for protection from the virus. The level of intelligence on display is staggering, and shames America as a country. Then again, how could a country vote in someone like Trump in the first place.

As noted elsewhere in this thread, I'm not interested in obsessing over Trump's stupidity here, nor am I interested in whatever Covid shame the U.S. should carry as measured by the western world. It's tedious in the extreme and does no good.

My country has seen over 80,000 deaths. I'm primarily interested in research and developments about the virus and any glimmerings of hope of how to get out of this mess, which really should be the focus as set forth by the thread title. The mods can open another political thread if you want to foam at the mouth about Trump's rabid followers (a minority in a country of over 320 million) for 500 pages. If it makes you feel better, go for it.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Matt007 wrote: »

Well said. I don't think any sane rational person thinks like this.

The protestors are funded by rich right-wing groups. They're not "grass roots" protestors. An example:

https://www.prwatch.org/news/2020/04/13562/devos-funded-group-organizes-protest-against-michigan-governor’s-stay-home-order
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Escalus5 wrote: »

As noted elsewhere in this thread, I'm not interested in obsessing over Trump's stupidity here, nor am I interested in whatever Covid shame the U.S. should carry as measured by the western world. It's tedious in the extreme and does no good.

My country has seen over 80,000 deaths. I'm primarily interested in research and developments about the virus and any glimmerings of hope of how to get out of this mess, which really should be the focus as set forth by the thread title. The mods can open another political thread if you want to foam at the mouth about Trump's rabid followers (a minority in a country of over 320 million) for 500 pages. If it makes you feel better, go for it.

I am really sorry but it is hard to ignore when the President of the world's most powerful country says stuff like this:

z2yz3r1afyn41.png
    That is Trump thinking out loud he would never say something like this for real, his question about disinfectants and injecting it was taken out of context too, together with that Nitwit from Belarus who saw no virus flying around they really take care of the entertainment, which by the way is not their job description but the public votes and wants clowns were professionals are probably better.
    I am really sorry but it is hard to ignore

Not for me. If you want to waste the bandwidth rolling out the same idiotic Trump declarations we've seen ad nauseam in the media, go right ahead. Wake me up when you've got the new fatality numbers.
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    I am really sorry but it is hard to ignore

Not for me. If you want to waste the bandwidth rolling out the same Trump declarations we've seen ad nauseam in the media, go right ahead. Wake me up when you've got the new fatality numbers.

I'll wake you up once the US cross 100,000 deaths by the end of this month, and 300,000 deaths by September. By then I hope you realize your country's response to the coronavirus is absolutely horrendous and appalling, and will be the number 1 reason why the glimmerings of hope you were expecting to discuss will be non existent for the next few years.

As long as you refuse to realize that your administration is one of the main reasons we can't get out of this mess, I do not know what to tell you. It certainly doesn't help when some just bury their head in the sand, and others call face masks un-American while begging for the economy to restart pronto, which will only add fuel to the coronavirus' fire.

We have a world leader, your President, who literally calls the pandemic a hoax, and you act surprised and disappointed when the rest of the world keep pointing the finger at him being a huge problem. But as you said, I guess its easier to ignore your President's action than acknowledging your own country is equally as responsible as China for this whole disaster.
    I'll wake you up once the US cross 100,000 deaths by the end of this month, and 300,000 deaths by September. By then I hope you realize your country's response to the coronavirus is absolutely horrendous and appalling,

In certain parts of the country, yes. But I'm proud of my state (New York)'s response and the reaction of the surrounding states, as well as places like California and Washington. I don't appreciate people lumping me in with the knuckle draggers at the federal level and in other parts of the country who want to reopen as soon as possible, but that's a common impulse for folks who see the U.S. as a monolith. There was at least one member in this thread (not you) who didn't even seem to understand the pivotal role of the states in reopening, which is kind of alarming.
    We have a world leader, your President, who literally calls the pandemic a hoax, and you act surprised and disappointed when the rest of the world keep pointing the finger at him being a huge problem.

I'm neither surprised nor disappointed, just amazed that this thread keeps going around in circles.
    But as you said, I guess its easier to ignore your President's action than acknowledging your own country is equally as responsible as China for this whole disaster.

You obviously carry a deep-seated hatred of the U.S. and its people that predates the COVID crisis and is causing you to make a staggeringly stupid accusation. I advise you to spend less time as a keyboard warrior and seek help.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited May 2020 Posts: 280
    What are you talking about @Escalus5? This is the political thread! Lol
    Just a reminder that even the very popular Governor Cuomo isn't above making horrendous decisions: on March 28th he refused to consider a tri-state lockdown.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/490014-cuomo-on-tri-state-area-enforced-quarantine-i-dont-believe-it-would-be-legal

The US political system, be it Democrats or Republicans, has been totally overwhelmed by the coronavirus, in parts because of horrendously incompetent politicians.
    Agent_One wrote: »

Hahaha, I know! Well, I meant the other political thread!
  • Escalus5 wrote: »

Hahaha, I know! Well, I meant the other political thread!

So there are what, 500 or more threads on this forum... and TWO threads about politics is too much talking about politics? Okay, got it...
    So there are what, 500 or more threads on this forum... and TWO threads about politics is too much talking about politics? Okay, got it...

I never made that claim. If people want more political threads, they should start them and get mod support.

The other thread was locked awhile ago, so there's no outlet at the moment other than here.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    What I don't understand is why people bring firearms to this thing. We're fighting a virus, not a military invasion, or haven't I received that memo yet? Or is this the way people are going to fight for their "freedom" to ignore the very rules that are there to keep us safe? Perhaps the guns are meant as a Freudian extension of something else, something to impress other people with? What are the odds, after all, that those gun-toting beer bellies have a good notion of what's at stake at all, other than "we want", regardless of what "is necessary"? And if logic is absent and all you can do is grunt and yell, a weapon is probably the best advocate for your case.

I keep thinking about H.G. Wells' War Of The Worlds and the line about God's tiniest creatures. All it takes is a virus, not even the size of a single cell, infectious and deadly, to bring out the worst in people. Centuries of progress, education, science, ... all reduced to dust by the primitive, barbaric behaviour of a loathsome few, backed up by despicable groups with an "agenda".

What I fail to understand is this. Politics is what it is; the Left and the Right continue to make a lot of noise and will never be able to resolve anything. It's how politics works: arguing and disagreeing from election to election, neglecting the serious work, leaning on extremes. But major disasters should unite us, put us far above that fool's game called politics. Who cares about Left or Right, about elections and "saving the presidency" when terrorists attack the country, when climate change is about to hit us harder than anything we've ever witnessed before, and when a highly contagious virus spreads like mad, claims many lives and so far hasn't allowed us to find a vaccine yet? These problems target us all, indiscriminately, regardless of where you were born and how you were raised. The very act of abusing these wide-spread disasters as conduits for self-betterment, as tools for political gain, is immoral, unethical and utterly inexcusable.

Of course, there are lots of volatile citizens out there, people who are suffering tremendously under the strains of a lockdown without an immediate ending, a policy without answers and a medical community without miracle solutions. After many relatively quiet decades, it's hard for most of us to accept that we're clearly not the superior society we always thought we were, that we're weaker than the smallest organism out there. But at least we're not suffering any food shortages yet, we still have TV and the Internet, we can still see doctors and nurses, and we can still communicate whenever we like with those we're not allowed to come in physical contact with. Losing income is terrible, I will never downplay that fact. As I've said before, a good government helps people who will face disaster from Corona unemployment. But a lockdown is the only effective way to combat the spread of the virus, if not the virus itself. Why protest that? Why protest the only thing we have to stop the death-clock, to stop thousands of innocent people from dying on a daily basis, to break the force of the virus? Lacking any other option, why protest the only feasible one? And more, what does it say about you when you bring guns to such a protest? It tells me that some people have barely evolved beyond the level of hunter-gatherers and that the USA, once a country of progress, of gathering scientific knowledge, of being proud of living in the future while the rest of world is trailing shamefully behind, has given up and is now in the grip of madness. Why? How come? What went wrong and when did it go wrong? America should be the land of scientific triumphs over this virus, of one people united against a common (microscopic) enemy, not a rural political wasteland, divided and haphazardly searching for ways to live the illusion of normalcy while rendering itself into a biomolecular reactor in which this virus can multiply exponentially. Those who spur this madness on, who ignite the volatile and coerce them into armed protests, are criminals and should be brought to justice when this over.

When this is over... Indeed, this is far from over. The more people refuse to live by the rules, the more they invite Corona into their lungs, the more they will infect others, the more this is so not over. While a vast majority of the American population is no-doubt still on the right track, still willing to do what it takes, still very wise in how to deal with the situation, the 30% or so of loose cannonballs who are easily misguided and tricked into thinking that guns and loud yelling will make the world better, who seem to think that trying to forget the virus will somehow, in a Biblical act of Divine intervention, make it go away, are screwing things up big time for the rest of the people, for those who understand that patience is mandatory.
    it is about Corona and the mistakes made by Politicians in their response about Corona, which is in a sense political but then again less so and more about the situation around the world, not simply the US of UK.

Guys, come on, get over it.

We have stated before why we don't like politics on this forum. By the same token, Corona is with us, it's among us and it has an influence on our Bond experience, obviously. We would discuss it anyway and so it's best to funnel these discussions into one single thread.

Inevitably, policies and the politicians making them will become a part of such discussions. Talking about Trump or BJ and their ways of dealing with Corona is a part of that too.

Yes, technically, those are political discussions, but then entirely focused on Corona. This isn't about whether G. Bush Jr. was "better" or "worse" than Trump and forty reasons why. This isn't about why x % of the voters in state y is right or wrong to vote for this or that candidate, and all the reasons why.

Please don't drive these issues to their extremes. Every once in a while, one of those "I thought this wasn't a political thread" comments gets squuezed in. Mods have so far ignored them. That should have said enough. We don't want any sexual content here either, but a little "hot Bondgirl" stuff can easily be condoned. There's a vague degree to which some political subjects are acceptable too, and then there's what's obviously too much. We're all mature people, we recognize "too much" versus "perfectly acceptable" when we see it. Please, don't take things literally and please don't press the issue.

Thank you.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    When this is over... Indeed, this is far from over. The more people refuse to live by the rules, the more they invite Corona into their lungs, the more they will infect others, the more this is so not over. While a vast majority of the American population is no-doubt still on the right track, still willing to do what it takes, still very wise in how to deal with the situation, the 30% or so of loose cannonballs who are easily misguided and tricked into thinking that guns and loud yelling will make the world better, who seem to think that trying to forget the virus will somehow, in a Biblical act of Divine intervention, make it go away, are screwing things up big time for the rest of the people, for those who understand that patience is mandatory.

Just want to add that I agree with you and appreciate the reasonableness you bring to your posts. I was beginning to think I was in The Twilight Zone at the top of this page.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited May 2020 Posts: 280

We have stated before why we don't like politics on this forum. By the same token, Corona is with us, it's among us and it has an influence on our Bond experience, obviously. We would discuss it anyway and so it's best to funnel these discussions into one single thread.

Inevitably, policies and the politicians making them will become a part of such discussions. Talking about Trump or BJ and their ways of dealing with Corona is a part of that too.

Yes, technically, those are political discussions, but then entirely focused on Corona. This isn't about whether G. Bush Jr. was "better" or "worse" than Trump and forty reasons why. This isn't about why x % of the voters in state y is right or wrong to vote for this or that candidate, and all the reasons why.

Please don't drive these issues to their extremes. Every once in a while, one of those "I thought this wasn't a political thread" comments gets squuezed in. Mods have so far ignored them. That should have said enough. We don't want any sexual content here either, but a little "hot Bondgirl" stuff can easily be condoned. There's a vague degree to which some political subjects are acceptable too, and then there's what's obviously too much. We're all mature people, we recognize "too much" versus "perfectly acceptable" when we see it. Please, don't take things literally and please don't press the issue.

Thank you.
    Apologies. It was meant as a joke; I didn't intend to come across as whiny.

Not directed to you particularly, @Agent_One. You just gave me a reason, that's all. :)
    Morons are the same everywhere. Case in point :

Since the beginning, in France, people have called the virus "le" Covid-19. Except that, for the Académie Française, the french council for matters pertaining to the frenhc language, people whould say "la" Covid-19. Why ? Because CoViD is composed of the words Corona Virus Disease. And as in France, Disease is feminine (la maladie), that acronym should follow suit and become feminine. Frankly, that reminds me of a byzantine story about how many angels can dance on the tip of a pin (answer, according to Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett : exactly one).
    i believe Pratchett & Gaiman
  • SaintMark wrote: »

Why? They aren't scientists.

(Just kidding. P&G are both excellent writers. They are writers of fiction. As such, they are just making stuff up. Very amusing, entertaining, and sometimes even moving stuff, but still...)
    SaintMark wrote: »

Why? They aren't scientists.

(Just kidding. P&G are both excellent writers. They are writers of fiction. As such, they are just making stuff up. Very amusing, entertaining, and sometimes even moving stuff, but still...)

When it comes to Angels........... I am quite sure the scientist will say believe Pratchet & Gaiman or anything else or anybody else for all we care.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Thank you.

You were asked to drop the wholly political comments from this discussion.
    Several comments that have nothing to do with the Corona virus and solely regarding the Trump / Clinton election have been removed.
    Thank you.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @DarthDimi you are forgetting one thing: 30+million Americans have lost their jobs because of the lockdown, and though there are unemployment benefits to be given, these have been slow in beeing paid out and hardly cover the cost of living. That plus the fact that many Americans still live in debt and you do start to understand why so many (especially if not infected) wonder if the disease may be less harmful than the cure. And for sure no medical expert can give an answer to that. Europeans often misjudge American society as we're used to having our medical bills beeing picked up by insurance or state, and having some job protection. Americans don't have that. They need to pay their six weeks in ic themselves if they contract the virus. It's the life they chose.
    Anyone seen today's press conference. I'm not being flippant, I genuinely am concerned for Trump's mental health.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Benny wrote: »

Thank you.

You were asked to drop the wholly political comments from this discussion.
    Several comments that have nothing to do with the Corona virus and solely regarding the Trump / Clinton election have been removed.
    Thank you.

Aw man I spent all that time on that informative chart. :P
    Seoul cluster nears 100 cases. Authorities have now delayed this week's planned re-opening of schools.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/s-korea-delays-school-reopening-as-club-cluster-grows