Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Cruise will be sixty by the time these two films come out. Amazing.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Expected, though it's not too big of a delay, either. I can't wait.
    Cruise will be sixty by the time these two films come out. Amazing.

An inspiration, really.
    looking forward to these two movies.
    I sure hope they don't scrap Italy as a location. That fiat 500 rehearsal looked nice.
    More fun spy goodness spread around as far as I'm concerned: Bond in 2020, MI the next two years and maybe, just maybe a new Bond in 2023?
    So I take it these movies will be delayed a year?
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,400
    Seemed inevitable. They want to film car chases and big action sequences which requires big crews. I don't think they will start filming till the new year.

The big question.....let's rank Tom Cruise's hair in each film:

6.) Mission Impossible
    5.) Mission Impossible 3
    4.) Fallout
    3.) Rogue One
    2.) Mission Impossible 2
    1.) Ghost Protocol

TC looks more like a movie star with the long hair.....makes me wanna watch Ghost Protocol again! Though I may go with M:I3 as it's been years since seeing it.

Bring back the long hair for M:I7!

Tom-Cruise-Mission-Impossible-Ghost-Protocol-Dinner-Suit-2.jpg
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Seemed inevitable. They want to film car chases and big action sequences which requires big crews. I don't think they will start filming till the new year.

6.) Mission Impossible
    5.) Mission Impossible 3
    4.) Fallout
    3.) Rogue One
    2.) Mission Impossible 2
    1.) Ghost Protocol

I don't rank hair, though I will rank the movies...

6. Mission Impossible 2
    5. Mission Impossible 3
    4. Mission Impossible
    3. Mission Impossible: Fallout
    2. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
    1. Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
    Benny wrote: »

I don't rank hair, though I will rank the movies...

6. Mission Impossible 2
    5. Mission Impossible 3
    4. Mission Impossible
    3. Mission Impossible: Fallout
    1. Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

That's my list too :)
    Rogue Nation was a super spy movie of 2015 and for me was slightly better than SPECTRE (and I'm a 100% Bond/Craig fan).
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 6,677
    6. Mission Impossible 2
    5. Mission Impossible 3
    4. Mission Impossible: Fallout
    3. Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
    1. Mission Impossible

6.) Mission Impossible
    5.) Mission Impossible 3
    4.) Fallout
    3.) Rogue One
    2.) Mission Impossible 2
    1.) Ghost Protocol
    My biggest issue with Fallout is that Cruise didn't keep up the tradition of having longer hair in every second entry.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I should add that I don't think there has been a truly bad entry in the MI series.
    I should add that I don't think there has been a truly bad entry in the MI series.

But there has been a number of bland, uninspiring ones that I struggle to recall the plots for due to how generic they are....though no denying that TC gives 100% and they are brilliant action movies.
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »

6.) Mission Impossible
    5.) Mission Impossible 3
    4.) Fallout
    3.) Rogue One
    2.) Mission Impossible 2
    1.) Ghost Protocol
    My biggest issue with Fallout is that Cruise didn't keep up the tradition of having longer hair in every second entry.

I can only pray that the long hair returns for M:I7. Early photos from the action testing in London suggests that the short back is back. But they probably won't actually film the movie till the end of the year now. So plenty of time to grow it out.

tom-cruise-on-motorbike-scene-4f0e.jpg

Also, recently binged the Crown. Damn, is Vanessa Kirby not the slinkiest and most charismatic performer on that show. She was channeling such a Bond girl vibe in Fallout. She's way more suited to Bond than the more chaste Mission films. Hopefully we get to see her in a 007 film.

Vanessa-Kirby-In-Tom-Ford-%E2%80%98Mission-Impossible-%E2%80%93-Fallout%E2%80%99-London-Premiere.jpg

Also, McQuarrie's decision to cast Pom Klementieff is inspired....

MV5BMTkzNjE5MzY5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDI5ODMxODE@._V1_UY1200_CR549,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg
    Hell, these movies keep getting sexier and more fun. Cruise knows his stuff.
    He's too old to pull off the long hair now, I think. It doesn't suit him in the way it once did. Cruise is a smart dude. He knows how to make himself look good.

But anyway...

My ranking!

M:I-2

M:I-3
    Ghost Protocol
    M:I
    Rogue Nation
    Fallout
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Also, recently binged the Crown. Damn, is Vanessa Kirby not the slinkiest and most charismatic performer on that show. She was channeling such a Bond girl vibe in Fallout. She's way more suited to Bond than the more chaste Mission films. Hopefully we get to see her in a 007 film.

Also, McQuarrie's decision to cast Pom Klementieff is inspired....
    @Pierce2Daniel Vanessa Kirby is amazing. I love her in The Crown and would love to see her in a James Bond. I aqtually think she'd be a great Moneypenny for the next 007. As for Pom Klementieff, she is what excites me most about these next two MI films.

2 was so dire I figured it killed the series but made money and 3 didn't do the box office it was meant to, so I was afraid those did the series in. 2 is the only one I can't stand and they just got better and better after.

But they can do without the standard need to have a traitor, an unsupportive chief who the team wins over and the team having to go rogue to accomplish the mission. How about some support and still get the mission done in grand fashion against the odds?
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    BT3366 wrote: »

2 was so dire I figured it killed the series but made money and 3 didn't do the box office it was meant to, so I was afraid those did the series in. 2 is the only one I can't stand and they just got better and better after.

But they can do without the standard need to have a traitor, an unsupportive chief who the team wins over and the team having to go rogue to accomplish the mission. How about some support and still get the mission done in grand fashion against the odds?

Funny. 2 was the only one that didn't have a rogue or unsupportive chief. It was basically a straightforward mission. Unless you count Ambrose in a rogue aspect.

The only thing I enjoy about MI2 is when Hunt has to infiltrate the pharmaceutical company through the roof vents, destroy the virus and the shootout afterward. So maybe 15 minutes of 2 hours. I'm glad I enjoy the other 5 immensely.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    He's too old to pull off the long hair now, I think. It doesn't suit him in the way it once did. Cruise is a smart dude. He knows how to make himself look good.

But anyway...

My ranking!

M:I-2

M:I-3
    Ghost Protocol
    M:I
    Rogue Nation
    Fallout

I'm picturing Cruise as a bad guy in something with longer hair and facial hair and I think he could really pull it off. I don't mind his hair as much anymore in these films so long as the quality and entertainment unfolding onscreen is sky high (like the last few installments).
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Rob Lowe reveals Tom Cruise went ‘ballistic’ having to share room during filming of ‘The Outsiders’
    https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/tom-cruise-ballistic-sharing-rooms-outsiders-rob-lowe
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    That's what I think, he dropped the long hair because of his age.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,690
    While waiting for Mission Impossible 7 to start filming, here's Tom Cruise mentioned in the very lovely speech by Michael Caine at the 2000 Oscars:

As of 2020, this is the most recent Oscar nomination that Tom Cruise has received.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

mattjoes wrote: »
    That's what I think, he dropped the long hair because of his age.

While not as youthful looking in his 50’s as Cruise, Roger Moore would have benefited immensely with shorter hair in his latter films.

While waiting for Mission Impossible 7 to start filming, here's Tom Cruise mentioned in the very lovely speech by Michael Caine at the 2000 Oscars:

As of 2020, this is the most recent Oscar nomination that Tom Cruise has received.

I think it's a shame that Tom Cruise is spending his mid-life crisis dangling from aeroplanes.....I mean it's a bit obvious that he isn't a serious actor anymore. Just a very good stuntman. There was a time he was working with Kubrick, Paul Thomas Anderson, Pollack and Scorsese.

I mean he turned down the Cliff Booth role in Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood and the chance to get some legitimacy in acting circles again. Brad Pitt was terrific in that role, but Cruise was born for that part. He could of got his overdue Oscar. Instead he decided he wanted to work with Joseph Kosinki (!?) on a Top Gun sequel that's about 20 years too late.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I think it's a shame that Tom Cruise is spending his mid-life crisis dangling from aeroplanes.....I mean it's a bit obvious that he isn't a serious actor anymore. Just a very good stuntman. There was a time he was working with Kubrick, Paul Thomas Anderson, Pollack and Scorsese.

This is something I have mentioned on this thread several times, but for anyone doubting Tom Cruise's acting and/or filmography, just remember that he is the only actor to have worked with Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, Stanley Kubrick and Francis Ford Coppola.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,343
    I agree... the last 15 years left me quite disappointed with Tom’s artistic choices.

“Je suis désolé”... lol
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Well Tom obviously has the acting chops to tackle a variety of roles, and definitely could have sprinkled in a few more character centric films over the past 15 years ; but with that said, he knows that he will be able to take more of these roles well into his old age. The timeframe for action focused performances is finite. I don’t see this as a mid-life crisis, it’s simply calculated pragmatism.
    I disagree I prefer when Tom does action stuff I liked jack reacher I liked mission impossible etc
    Tom Cruise is just doing what Tom Cruise wants, and I don't blame him for that at all. He's earned his plaudits as a serious actor already, he doesn't need to prove his legitimacy to anyone. He has a blast making the films that he makes. As for him "just being a good stuntman", he hasn't just made Mission: Impossible films in the last ten years.