Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• edited March 2020 Posts: 440
    All of these returning minor characters from the previous movies and the fact that both films are being shot back to back makes me think that MI:VII and MI:VIII are meant to wrap up the franchise.

:Edit: Or at least, until they announce some kind of spinoff, lol.
    It's such a big brand, I can't see them wrapping up the franchise but, I agree, there are hints/clues that there is some form of "ending". Hunt and Kittridge had superb chemistry in the original movie. I think we could be saying farewell to Hunt. (He's 57 now, so if he does even more, he will be 61/2? ). Back to back movies give the writers the chance to plan his exit properly and install the new team over the span of 5 hours or so. Just a guess obviously.
    All of these returning minor characters from the previous movies and the fact that both films are being shot back to back makes me think that MI:VII and MI:VIII are meant to wrap up the franchise.

:Edit: Or at least, until they announce some kind of spinoff, lol.
    I´m not sure if any wrapping up would make sense at all. All the M:I films except for the last one were very much not related to one another. There was the bit in RN, where footage of the Kremlin in GP is shown, but that is quickly forgotten after a few scenes in terms of overaching continuity. There were recurring characters, but that seemed much more like an adoring nod to the past than any form form of continuity. Of course, anything can be construed out of it.

Re: Fallout. That film kind of grew on me. I still don´t get all that stunt fest hype that was spread when it came out. I think it has a too complicated story with much too many non-action scenes to be a stunt fest. But I somehow got a better grip on the overall pacing of the film, and can enjoy it much better now than I could in the past. I still think the emphasis on personal stuff is not making it a better film, but nonetheless, the film works somehow.
    Still, anytime I pop in RN or GP I´m blown away in a good way by the fast pacing.

Re Fallout, it's interesting that, for all of the time/risk/marketing for the stunts, the standout scene for many (both online fans and my friends/colleagues and myself) is where the escape is interrupted by the female police officer. It's just great writing and execution and would have cost a fraction to create compared to the stunts. I really hope the director/writer learns from this.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    patb wrote: »
    It's such a big brand, I can't see them wrapping up the franchise but, I agree, there are hints/clues that there is some form of "ending". Hunt and Kittridge had superb chemistry in the original movie. I think we could be saying farewell to Hunt. (He's 57 now, so if he does even more, he will be 61/2? ). Back to back movies give the writers the chance to plan his exit properly and install the new team over the span of 5 hours or so. Just a guess obviously.

Yeah, and it would certainly be surprising if McQuarrie didn't actually call it a day directing after these: he said he wouldn't do a second, so doing a fifth would seem unlikely!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    26068926-0-image-a-62-1584448616065.jpg
    26068942-0-image-a-65-1584448628855.jpg
    26068974-0-image-a-85-1584448968886.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Thanks for those! In the other thread we were guessing they're having a test session there.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Love it! Great to see the guys at MI getting back to the work. Brilliant professionalism from Tom and everyone involved
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    More pictures, include new cast actres in a mini

https://www.darkhorizons.com/mission-impossible-7-filming-resumes-in-uk/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's a Fiat rather than a Mini, and is it not Rebecca Ferguson? It's hard to tell.
  • From Collider: Word going around is that Mission: Impossible 7 has started filming again, as photos leaked from the set appeared to show Tom Cruise on a motorcycle. This raised a few eyebrows, as the upcoming action flick was one of the many productions shut down due to the spread of the coronavirus. Collider reached out to sources on the production, who confirmed that M:I 7 has not resumed filming and that the leaked photos show a test for a stunt rig.

Source: https://collider.com/mission-impossible-7-not-filming-update/
    Given all the other crazy stunts and death-defying things this guy has done, it wouldn't be surprising him defying something as minor as Coronavirus.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2020 Posts: 15,690
    I just realized that Desh from The Bourne Ultimatum (the one Matt Damon chases all around Tangiers), is also one of henchmen Tom Cruise kills during the Paris bike/car chase in Mission Impossible: Fallout.
    mtm wrote: »
    That's a Fiat rather than a Mini, and is it not Rebecca Ferguson? It's hard to tell.

I think that's Hayley Atwell. But I can be wrong. It's probably a stuntwoman. But not Ferguson, definitely.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    You can always tell that Tom Cruise is enjoying himself making these movies, and his enthusiam and effort has given this franchise great longevity and kept the quality control high. I think they often the best movies of the year they came out. I have high expectations for part 7 and 8 and great confidence that Cruise and team will deliver once again. I only wish that EON could take some inspiration from the misson crew. Although Bond has a bigger fanbase and history than Ethan Hunt, I can't help but feel like EON having been pipped to the post in the past few years. I also remember hearing that Ironman moved into the space of charismatic tuxedoed man with gadgets after Bond left it vacant. Everyone seems to be moving in on Bond turf, and I hope we see a genuine response from EON one day. The time has come to once again prove that "nobody does it better", because I think based on the reception of SP that was left somewhat in doubt.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    You can always tell that Tom Cruise is enjoying himself making these movies, and his enthusiam and effort has given this franchise great longevity and kept the quality control high. I think they often the best movies of the year they came out. I have high expectations for part 7 and 8 and great confidence that Cruise and team will deliver once again. I only wish that EON could take some inspiration from the misson crew. Although Bond has a bigger fanbase and history than Ethan Hunt, I can't help but feel like EON having been pipped to the post in the past few years. I also remember hearing that Ironman moved into the space of charismatic tuxedoed man with gadgets after Bond left it vacant. Everyone seems to be moving in on Bond turf, and I hope we see a genuine response from EON one day. The time has come to once again prove that "nobody does it better", because I think based on the reception of SP that was left somewhat in doubt.

Not all MI movies are great. II & III are the worst imho.

We get that you don't like SP now.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Couldn’t care less about M:I.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited April 2020 Posts: 8,034
    I'd take Fallout over Spectre any day of the week but I think NTTD is going to be a pretty strong return to form for Bond.

Cruise will have bowed out by the time a new Bond comes around, so it'll be all about James again.

I agree that MI has upped its game in the last ten years though. The last three have been very strong. And I still like the third one, regardless of what is said about it.

The Woo helmed entry is the only dud, as far as I'm concerned.
    M:I-2 is a product of its time and is still the coolest and sexiest entry. At least Cruise played Ethan Hunt and not just Tom Cruise. The first two are the best only because you can feel the hand of a director with a strong visual identity behind it all.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,600
    Looking at recent trends, Hollywood is desperate to squeeze every last drop (or dollar) from every series-even when the quality falls and falls. If there is money to be made, a movie will be produced. IMHO MI is such a huge brand around the World, it will have to keep going. (you also have immense goodwill regarding MI fans who would want , I think, to see what a Cruiseless MI looks like) The challenge will be, do they try to keep up the quality to ensure long term profits or just make a couple of useless contributions for a quick cash out.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Not all MI movies are great. II & III are the worst imho.

We get that you don't like SP now.

I’m with you there, but 3 was 15 years ago; since then they’ve upped their game hugely and become reliably excellent. Bond has been extremely hit and miss over the same period.
    Never seen an excellent M:I in all my life. Craig films are far more compelling even in the weakest entries IMO.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    matt_u wrote: »
    M:I-2 is a product of its time and is still the coolest and sexiest entry. At least Cruise played Ethan Hunt and not just Tom Cruise. The first two are the best only because you can feel the hand of a director with a strong visual identity behind it all.

A visual identity is nothing without a strong story. And I disagree with you about him playing Ethan Hunt; he was Ethan Hunt in the first, third, all the way through to the last film. There's a consistency in the potrayal there. Two sticks out like a sore thumb in that regard. It's almost a totally different character.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2020 Posts: 14,957

A visual identity is nothing without a strong story. And I disagree with you about him playing Ethan Hunt; he was Ethan Hunt in the first, third, all the way through to the last film. There's a consistency in the potrayal there. Two sticks out like a sore thumb in that regard. It's almost a totally different character.

Yeah agreed there.

Funny in a way how Craig's Bond was an effort to show Bond maturing and becoming a senior agent whereas as we know that meant he just suddenly became an 'old dog' in his third film with no particular reason(!); but Hunt actually starts out as a young, fairly cocky member of his team (in basically the Martin Landau role) and over the course of 25 years we watch him turn into team leader and then IMF legend. It's not something they've really aimed to do, it's just come naturally. He's not a hugely fascinating character and the films aren't a celebration of him in the way the Bond films are about 007, or even the Bourne films are about their hero, but it's still impressive to have one central character in a series of action films this long and have him develop subtly. Apart from in MI2, as you say, where he's just long-haired James Bond :D
    mtm wrote: »

Yeah agreed there.

Funny in a way how Craig's Bond was an effort to show Bond maturing and becoming a senior agent whereas as we know that meant he just suddenly became an 'old dog' in his third film with no particular reason(!); but Hunt actually starts out as a young, fairly cocky member of his team (in basically the Martin Landau role) and over the course of 25 years we watch him turn into team leader and then IMF legend. It's not something they've really aimed to do, it's just come naturally. He's not a hugely fascinating character and the films aren't a celebration of him in the way the Bond films are about 007, or even the Bourne films are about their hero, but it's still impressive to have one central character in a series of action films this long and have him develop subtly. Apart from in MI2, as you say, where he's just long-haired James Bond :D

Couldn't have said it better.

It doesn't "feel" like a MI film at all. My personal favorite remains IV.

Since those stories are always the same old stupid recycled stuff injected with a bit of silly humor in and there I’d take a strong visual identity that resonates within the body of work of its director over “story” any time. And the last two feel too much like “let’s celebrate Cruise” for me. He’s a legend and he’s great I really liked him but now I just can’t stand him in this role. Plus, acting in those films is pretty bad. Not F&F level obviously but compared to the Craig era we’re talking about different championships.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 3,497
    I don't consider III to be as bad as II though.

MI movies are not about the acting btw. The only thing they must stop doing is IMF going rogue.

I still love the first one more than all of the others, but I agree that the series came back to form from IV onwards. IV being one of the most fun entries. Specially that jailbreak scene with Dean Martin's Ain't that a kick in the head playing as a countdown. Then Rebecca Ferguson came and upped the ante positively with a brilliant new recurring character that makes Ethan Hunt shine with their dynamics. Pegg and Rhames help, of course. They're fun films. That's all.
    Univex wrote: »

I still love the first one more than all of the others, but I agree that the series came back to form from IV onwards. IV being one of the most fun entries. Specially that jailbreak scene with Dean Martin's Ain't that a kick in the head playing as a countdown. Then Rebecca Ferguson came and upped the ante positively with a brilliant new recurring character that makes Ethan Hunt shine with their dynamics. Pegg and Rhames help, of course. They're fun films. That's all.

:)>-