Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    talos7 wrote: »

Hmm okay. She was fine in the last one but I didn’t find her character hugely interesting to the extent I’d want to see her again, but presumably they have a role for her character to play.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Christopher McQuarrie teases three “obscene” stunts for Tom Cruise in Mission: Impossible 7.

“We’ve figured out three obscene things that he’s doing that I’m terrified of, that make the helicopter chase look like tinker toys.”

https://collider.com/mission-impossible-7-stunts-tom-cruise-christopher-mcquarrie/
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    What company would willingly insure this guy? And we're talking about millions here. Seriously lol
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    00Agent wrote: »
    What company would willingly insure this guy? And we're talking about millions here. Seriously lol

I believe this was a problem for one of the films; the insurance company said that it wouldn’t cover a certain stunt ..... They found another company.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Thanks.
    Even that broken ankle from Fallout must have cost them a fortune.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I don´t worry about the films being crowded. If at all, I don´t want characters brought in just to be killed prematurely, like Alec Baldwyn´s Secretary.

I really wish they had kept him alive. One of my few qualms with Fallout. Baldwin has such a warm screen presence and he's always a highlight in these types of supporting roles.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Ryan wrote: »
    I don´t worry about the films being crowded. If at all, I don´t want characters brought in just to be killed prematurely, like Alec Baldwyn´s Secretary.

I really wish they had kept him alive. One of my few qualms with Fallout. Baldwin has such a warm screen presence and he's always a highlight in these types of supporting roles.

Should have gotten rid of Pegg.

Now that would have been an emotional impact.
    Bad Boys for Life did a very effective job of killing an alum. Didn´t see that coming. Even when I saw the movie for the second time it hit me hard.

edited February 2020 Posts: 8,034

Now that would have been an emotional impact.
    Bad Boys for Life did a very effective job of killing an alum. Didn´t see that coming. Even when I saw the movie for the second time it hit me hard.

I agree. And I also think that taking the tech guy out of the equation would have raised the stakes for the finale. There was about five minutes between the character saying that the bombs were unstoppable and him finding the flaw in them. Luckily the sequence itself was quite astonishing so it is a very minor gripe.

Though I personally think Benji has served his purpose by now, and I much prefer Luthor as Ethan's number two.
  • RyanRyan Canada

That would have been super effective. It would have been unexpected and hit hard. Still, I'm glad he's still around. Perhaps that's something that can be visited in one of the next films.
    I too am fed up with Pegg's antics. They should've kept him an office guy and not a field agent. Luther is a link to the first film, creating a special bond between him and Hunt.

My personal favorite team was the one in MI3. The younger group gave it a fresh energy for that film, although I can't complain about the teams from the past 3 flicks.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Luther’s great, but he can barely move nowadays. Pegg does a very decent job I think.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    mtm wrote: »
    Luther’s great, but he can barely move nowadays. Pegg does a very decent job I think.

tenor.gif
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,957
    Yep; there he is, barely moving! :)
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I too am fed up with Pegg's antics. They should've kept him an office guy and not a field agent. Luther is a link to the first film, creating a special bond between him and Hunt.

My personal favorite team was the one in MI3. The younger group gave it a fresh energy for that film, although I can't complain about the teams from the past 3 flicks.

Absolutely. I quite liked the team in the third film, too.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Filming on Mission Impossible 7 delayed due to the Coronavirus outbreak. A 3 weeks shoot was planned in Venice.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/mission-impossible-vii-halts-filming-due-coronavirus-outbreak-1280821
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 11,425

Yes I think they have the mix about right. Pegg provides the necessary humour. He's good.

I used to not rate Cruise very highly but he's grown on me over the years. He's a bit like chicken - rather bland but provides the essential protein base to the dish upon which you can then layer the other ingredients and flavours.

Great that Fergusson is returning. She really elevated the last 2, which were definitely the best in the MI series. Mcquarrie has taken an otherwise rather dull franchise and turned it into a slick and highly entertaining product. A bit like Fast and Furious.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Filming on Mission Impossible 7 delayed due to the Coronavirus outbreak. A 3 weeks shoot was planned in Venice.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/mission-impossible-vii-halts-filming-due-coronavirus-outbreak-1280821

Oh yikes.
    Good to hear they have plans for Venice!

Hope it´s just a few weeks delay at the most, which would mean less than when Cruise broke his ankle ;-).

Oh yikes.

Better safe than sorry. You clearly cannot be too safe with this virus.
    So I had my second viewing of Fallout last night as my wife hadn't seen it, having held off since I saw it in the cinema in September of 2018. I wasn't as overwhelmed by it as others seemed to be at the time and was curious as to my reaction this time out.

My reaction really wasn't much different. I still don't like it as much as Ghost Protocol or Rogue Nation. It felt like a Craig Bond movie, a little too grim and too personal. The action was top notch as always, but I just didn't think there was the one standout bit that matched or improved on the hanging off the skyscraper in GP or the plane in RN.

The chase where Hunt is pursuing Walker as he casually strides to meet his helicopter seems particularly awkward. Hunt is going all out and there doesn't seem to be any concern from Walker. It's just odd. I've mentioned before the countdown scenario is getting tedious and the team just feels tired.

I just hope the next two segments can be more like the previous two than Fallout. It was okay for a one-off, but some of the all-out fun was lost in it.

All fair points. Sometimes, the best stunts are ones where the viewer can easily relate to and, therefore, feel the fear straight away. Hanging off a skyscraper or a plane are scenarios that all of us can instantly relate to.

I think this also applies to the Fallout stunt of Hunt climbing up the rope, underneath (stunning shots) and into the helicopter. But this is overshadowed by Hunt piloting the chopper and chasing the bad guy in the second chopper. (can the audiance relate to how tough it is to pilot a chopper)? By having one stunt straight after enough, there is not enough time to take it all in. In hindsight, perhaps there should have been one chopper with the bad guy inside and Hunt hanging underneath?

I think the director knows he was trying a little too hard. Looking forward to the next two.

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited March 2020 Posts: 2,513
    I really liked Fallout, I thought the action was some of the best I've ever seen (love the fact they do practical stunts) and the pacing was well handled. The film felt urgent without feeling rushed and impatient. The cinematography was breath-taking and the locations were really well used. I leaned to my girlfriend at one point, during the motorbike chase, and said this is my favourite Mission Impossible

As much as I loved all the stunts and the fantastic set pieces, my favourite scene was when Ethan saved the French cop from the bad guys, it was like a Clint Eastwood western. Great moment
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I have great affection for GP, RN, and Fallout. I typically come out of the most recent one going "that was the best one yet" but then I find myself really enjoying so much of the others that it is hard to choose a favourite.
    I have great affection for GP, RN, and Fallout. I typically come out of the most recent one going "that was the best one yet" but then I find myself really enjoying so much of the others that it is hard to choose a favourite.

Same here. Loved Fallout, came out feeling the same. Then watched the very first one, and was reminded of how great that is too. Hard to choose.
    patb wrote: »
    All fair points. Sometimes, the best stunts are ones where the viewer can easily relate to and, therefore, feel the fear straight away. Hanging off a skyscraper or a plane are scenarios that all of us can instantly relate to.

I think this also applies to the Fallout stunt of Hunt climbing up the rope, underneath (stunning shots) and into the helicopter. But this is overshadowed by Hunt piloting the chopper and chasing the bad guy in the second chopper. (can the audiance relate to how tough it is to pilot a chopper)? By having one stunt straight after enough, there is not enough time to take it all in. In hindsight, perhaps there should have been one chopper with the bad guy inside and Hunt hanging underneath?

I think the director knows he was trying a little too hard. Looking forward to the next two.
    Yes, well said. I did like that, unlike Bond who always seems to have the right skills to pilot/drive anything, that Hunt didn't know how to pilot a helicopter. But it just seemed to go on and on with Walker having a seemingly endless clip of bullets and still can't bring Hunt's craft down.

The struggle goes on and on outside the crashed crafts too and the last-second reach for the detonator is a tired trope too. That's where I found the climax of RN more satisfying in it didn't include that.
    Jordo007 wrote: »

As much as I loved all the stunts and the fantastic set pieces, my favourite scene was when Ethan saved the French cop from the bad guys, it was like a Clint Eastwood western. Great moment

Agreed on that as well. It's the smaller moments like that that stand out and make the film more interesting rather than yet another motorcycle stunt, unmasking or betrayal twist.
  • RyanRyan Canada

Same here. Loved Fallout, came out feeling the same. Then watched the very first one, and was reminded of how great that is too. Hard to choose.

Really the only entry I have zero desire to re-watch is the second one. The last time I watched it in full was doing my marathon to get ready for Rogue Nation. It was still as much of a chore as I remembered. Skipped it entirely during my most recent re-watch of the series.

To me, the series proper truly begins with the third film. The first is a classic, though.
    I have recently been re-visiting some DePalma movies - he really is a class act and, with hindsight, bringing him in for the first movie was a cracking decision. Imagine, if they had got some "journy man" to direct who produced an average movie.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Maggie Q Open To M:I-7 & M:I-8 Return
    https://www.darkhorizons.com/maggie-q-open-to-mi-7-mi-8-return/
    The upcoming seventh and eighth “Mission: Impossible” films are in the works and one of the best bits of casting news regarding the projects was the announcement of the return of Henry Czerny’s Eugene Kittridge from the first film back in 1996.

However, we haven’t heard yet about the possibility of any other returnees that could show up, especially some of the key female supporting characters from previous entries like Thandie Newton’s Nyah Nordoff-Hall or Paula Patton’s Jane Carter.

One of the most well-received elements of the third film in the series, aside from bad guy Philip Seymour Hoffman, was the inclusion of Maggie Q as IMF agent Zhen Lei. The high kicking actress has been a staple on TV in the past decade or so with “Nikita” and “Designated Survivor” along with big-screen films like “Divergent”.

Out doing promotion for “Fantasy Island” this week, CBM asked her if she has any interest in once again joining the franchise. She says:

“You know, it’s funny because they asked me to come back after Mission: Impossible III, but I was contracted on television so I was so happy and touched, but it was not something I was able to do legally. I couldn’t leave my show for it which was really sad.

People asked me at the time, ‘When are you coming back?’ and I said, ‘I can’t!’ They asked and I couldn’t do it. I don’t see why it couldn’t now be a possibility in the future, but we shall see.”

The character survived and lived on at the end of the third film so her potential for inclusion is certainly there. Production on the seventh film recently was slated to take place in Venice but has halted its shoot due to concerns over the Coronavirus.