Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    mtm wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Italy/Rome must have great tax incentives for films because Bond and MI keep returning there.

I've also grown tired of the Benjie schtick. I guess you need some comic relief, but he takes it further than needed. Watching him flail in Fallout against Lane and others was tough to watch. Keeping Luther is important as he, along with Cruise, are the only links from the original film and a nice bit of continuity.

Besides, Cruise gets in some subtle good comedy relief in himself - think about the line "I'm jumping out a window" in Fallout or "Have we met?" to Ilsa in the prison scene in Rogue Nation or the prison scene that opens Ghost Protocol. There's a light touch amongst the fights and chaos that doesn't distract, kind of like the early Bond films.

I read that Dan Briggs piece and thought that would've been a cool, yet brief nod to the original series. I'm somebody who can enjoy both the television and movie series on equal terms.

There are several, deft, comedic touches during the Fight scene with the big guy during the opera sequence in Rogue Nation, often done with just a look.

Or Ethan looking at him, asking for a moment while he collects himself before continuing to fight. The opera sequence is about as perfectly executed as an action sequence could be in the last few years. Editing, blocking, all of it.

Yes indeed, it’s absolutely masterful, and builds to a fantastic climax too. I’d love the Bonds to come up with a sequence like but I can’t expect it.

They did that in QOS - Night at the opera sequence. It was simply ruined by the editing.

I’m a QOS fan, and I like the opera sequence, but it doesn’t come close to the one in Rogue Nation.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Italy/Rome must have great tax incentives for films because Bond and MI keep returning there.

I've also grown tired of the Benjie schtick. I guess you need some comic relief, but he takes it further than needed. Watching him flail in Fallout against Lane and others was tough to watch. Keeping Luther is important as he, along with Cruise, are the only links from the original film and a nice bit of continuity.

Besides, Cruise gets in some subtle good comedy relief in himself - think about the line "I'm jumping out a window" in Fallout or "Have we met?" to Ilsa in the prison scene in Rogue Nation or the prison scene that opens Ghost Protocol. There's a light touch amongst the fights and chaos that doesn't distract, kind of like the early Bond films.

I read that Dan Briggs piece and thought that would've been a cool, yet brief nod to the original series. I'm somebody who can enjoy both the television and movie series on equal terms.

There are several, deft, comedic touches during the Fight scene with the big guy during the opera sequence in Rogue Nation, often done with just a look.

Or Ethan looking at him, asking for a moment while he collects himself before continuing to fight. The opera sequence is about as perfectly executed as an action sequence could be in the last few years. Editing, blocking, all of it.

Yes indeed, it’s absolutely masterful, and builds to a fantastic climax too. I’d love the Bonds to come up with a sequence like but I can’t expect it.

They did that in QOS - Night at the opera sequence. It was simply ruined by the editing.

I’m a QOS fan, and I like the opera sequence, but it doesn’t come close to the one in Rogue Nation.

Never said it came close. I myself praised that RN opera Sequence many times, it was one of the best of the last decade.
    I was responding to him if they actually tried to came up with something new like that. They did tried but failed badly.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Never said it came close. I myself praised that RN opera Sequence many times, it was one of the best of the last decade.
    I was responding to him if they actually tried to came up with something new like that. They did tried but failed badly.

Ah...

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Henry Czerny is returning to the franchise for Mission: Impossible 7, 25 years after his only appearance in the first installment of the series.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/mission-impossible-classic-character-return-sequels-1275562
    Nooo.
    "book ending" the Cruise era?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,960

Nah that was nothing like it. It wasn’t a full, almost Hitchcock-style set piece that built to a climax like the M:I one did: it was just in a similar setting. Not the same thing at all or even trying to be a similar thing.
    Henry Czerny is returning to the franchise for Mission: Impossible 7, 25 years after his only appearance in the first installment of the series.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/mission-impossible-classic-character-return-sequels-1275562

Ah excellent! I always wanted to see Kitteridge again - he was so memorable.

Nah that was nothing like it. It wasn’t a full, almost Hitchcock-style set piece that built to a climax like the M:I one did: it was just in a similar setting. Not the same thing at all or even trying to be a similar thing.

I was merely responding to your comment about bond franchise not coming up with something like that.
    Again they did tried but the climax wasn't good as RN.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,960

I was merely responding to your comment about bond franchise not coming up with something like that.

I then you’re just seeing the setting and thinking it was intended as the same kind of sequence; it isn’t.

I then you’re just seeing the setting and thinking it was intended as the same kind of sequence; it isn’t.

I think you're just like always misinterpreting my words. I already know it wasn't the same setting but they did try to come up with something new in 2008 but it wasn't that good . That was my response to you when you said " I can't expect bond to came up with something like that".
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I think you're just like always misinterpreting my words. I already know it wasn't the same setting but they did try to come up with something new in 2008 but it wasn't that good . That was my response to you when you said " I can't expect bond to came up with something like that".

It is the same setting though: an opera. But it isn’t even an attempt to create one big cohesive multi-layered, tension-building set piece- it’s not them trying to make something like that. It’s just set at an opera. The similarity ends there.

It is the same setting though: an opera. But it isn’t even an attempt to create one big cohesive multi-layered, tension-building set piece- it’s not them trying to make something like that. It’s just set at an opera. The similarity ends there.

As always you are right i am wrong (:|
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Hey! Kittridge is back!

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1121055-henry-czerny-returning-for-mission-impossible-7-and-8

Ups, already posted. Sorry. Still, interesting news.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Unexpected news but very welcoming. With the ever changing IMF staff throughout the series I like the continuity. He was a good character.
    They should meet in a place with a fish tank ;)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I can't wait to see Pom Klementieff as a femme-fatale. She better stay a villain and not be like Vanessa Kirby in Fallout. I enjoyed that character, but we need a proper femme-fatale. We've only had Lea Seydoux in Ghost Protocal and she hardly even spoke...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I can't wait to see Pom Klementieff as a femme-fatale. She better stay a villain and not be like Vanessa Kirby in Fallout. I enjoyed that character, but we need a proper femme-fatale. We've only had Lea Seydoux in Ghost Protocal and she hardly even spoke...

It’s quite funny when McQuarrie talks about the Kirby character: he says he didn’t even know what she wanted as he was filming it! There’s a scene where she meets with Ethan by the Seine and it’s clear she’s after something from him (I can’t recall exactly how it goes myself) and when he was shooting it he hadn’t yet figured out what she was taking about! :D
    I don’t understand how he can apparently make these up as he goes and yet end up with plots so perfectly balanced. It’s bizarre!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2020 Posts: 15,690
    While waiting for Mission Impossible 7...

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Thanks! Not a lot new (or at least surprising) there I think but it does look fun.
    I wouldn´t need much more than lots of those cockpit shots to be happy. I hope they don´t mess it up with too much ot too clever story.

People hype Deakins and Sandgren, but this film seems to be where proper cinematography starts.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The cockpit shots are pretty stunning, yes indeed.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 1,081
    The above are valid reasons why, forgive me, I have a better time with the MI series than I do the Bond series in many ways.

Since the time of Tomorrow Never Dies through to Spectre (with the exception of Casino Royale) I am in total agreement with this statement.
    I missed the Top Gun commercial, but was lucky enough to catch the NTTD one during the game.

I caught Cruise in American Made on DVD the other night, one of his lower-profile recent films, but an entertaining one. The famous Cruise grin was in full-force in this flick, which was based on a real person and some of his exploits. Recommended if you can find it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah it’s a decent film, that one: and an actual drama, like he used to make before he was an action machine.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    I missed the Top Gun commercial, but was lucky enough to catch the NTTD one during the game.

I caught Cruise in American Made on DVD the other night, one of his lower-profile recent films, but an entertaining one. The famous Cruise grin was in full-force in this flick, which was based on a real person and some of his exploits. Recommended if you can find it.

Agreed. I watched this on a flight back from Dubai at the beginning of the year. Great film. Highly recommended.
  • Anyone else getting concerned they're cramming too many characters in these next two films?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Love Vanessa Kirby, be interested to see what they do with her. These films are getting crowded but remember some cast members may only appear in one of the two films.

Are these the last two MI films ever? Or at least for Cruise?
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    Anyone else getting concerned they're cramming too many characters in these next two films?

True but it's not going to be a problem i think as long as they focus on lead Characters, they are just supporting characters. I am most excited to see what Hayley is going to play in this, big fan.
    I don´t worry about the films being crowded. If at all, I don´t want characters brought in just to be killed prematurely, like Alec Baldwyn´s Secretary.