Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Matt Damon talks about his stunts in the Jason Bourne films, only to switch the topic to his admiration of Tom Cruise's stunts in the Mission Impossible franchise:

Damon can be hilarious :-))!
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    @BT3366 - sorry it's taken so long to reply man. Thank you for your kind comment. I get what you mean about MI transporting you to a different world. It's probably the best movie series for that kind of thing right now.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 5,767
    Curious to see how she looks without antennae :-))

EDIT: Checked the link. She needs a big role.
    I do hope all of these actors are just using a general announcement of joining both and not confirming it, essentially confirming they all survive the events of the seventh installment. Either way, the film is nicely rounding out with a female cast so far, curious to see who they get on the male side, too.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Nice Skyfall alternate take on the Fallout maintitle.

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    M_Balje wrote: »

My god that was freaking awesome :-O
    I didn't notice this before but fallout has the best title sequence or theme of MI after MI2.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Good one!
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I'm really excited for these two movies. I wonder how they'll be handled, like will there be a cliff hanger that will be concluded in the next film or will maybe Ilsa Faust will be with Ethan Hunt at the start of MI7, get captured or killed at the end of it and MI8 will be about Ethan rescuing her or getting revenge
    I suppose a revenge mission would be a first for the series? Not that has to be the story, I just think it'll be interesting to see what they do with two films back to back
    Hopefully Ethan retires and isn't killed at the end of MI8
    Jordo007 wrote: »

As long as Cruise isn't confined to a wheelchair, who knows if the guy will ever quit the role. I have no problem with that.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    BT3366 wrote: »

As long as Cruise isn't confined to a wheelchair, who knows if the guy will ever quit the role. I have no problem with that.

Yeah the guy is amazing. A really legend of cinema. That's why these two mission's and Top Gun Maverick next summer are events because who knows how long he can carry on for?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2019 Posts: 15,690

Yeah the guy is amazing. A really legend of cinema. That's why these two mission's and Top Gun Maverick next summer are events because who knows how long he can carry on for?

2021 will be an awesome year for action flicks, given Mission Impossible 7 and John Wick 4 are coming out in July & May.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I didn't notice this before but fallout has the best title sequence or theme of MI after MI2.

I think music-wise they've found it oddly hard to do one as good as the first.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

For his greatest stunt, Cruise will bungee jump.

While in his wheelchair.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I really like the relative simplicity of M:I-3's title sequence.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

2021 will be an awesome year for action flicks, given Mission Impossible 7 and John Wick 4 are coming out in July & May.

Wow. That they'll have turned around not one but almost two Mission movies in just two years does put Eon to shame a bit! :)
    I rewatched the series this week, will be very curious to see how he manages to top Fallout. It's just so damn good.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    mtm wrote: »

I know people have an attachment for the first time they hear the theme. Even bond fans are quite attached to Dr No but still my favorite is 2nd one. Something about it that just feels right.

Watch it all together for a better comparison and I agree third one seems more simple and classic.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2019 Posts: 14,959

I know people have an attachment for the first time they hear the theme. Even bond fans are quite attached to Dr No but still my favorite is 2nd one. Something about it that just feels right.

Well it was hardly the first time we’d heard the theme! :) It was pretty old by then. But none of the subsequent arrangements have just felt as full and exciting as that to me. Rogue Nation’s was close but not quite as good. I don’t really get what Giacchino was doing: he sort of removed the percussion or something. Balfe’s is not to my taste.

Absolutely loved that!!!! =D> :-bd
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I absolute love the xylophone that kicks in at 4:27 in the Ghost Protocol title sequence. The xylophone is a very underused instrument in today's film scores.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Watch it all together for a better comparison and I agree third one seems more simple and classic.

Watching that, they’re all decent (except for 2!), but yeah it doesn’t change my mind; Elfman still wins it :) The fullest, most exciting version.

I think so. Though I am a fan of the visuals of the first and third. The Fallout ones were fine but the use of images from further along in the film weren't what I would have done, even though I'd seen most of them in the trailers admittedly.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    You mean you didn’t like the choice of which images they use? Because they all (well okay, not 2 or 3) use shots from later in the movie! 4 probably does it best with the fuse snaking through the scenes.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 8,034
    You mean you didn’t like the choice of which images they use? Because they all (well okay, not 2 or 3) use shots from later in the movie! 4 probably does it best with the fuse snaking through the scenes.

That's why I find the third film's titles to be my favourite because it doesn't follow that template. Simple but classy.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2019 Posts: 14,959
    Nah it's much more fun to do it like the TV show! I'm not keen on the third's titles because they're so short.

I think I remember McQuarrie saying that he was given two titles sequences to choose from for Rogue Nation, and he liked both of them so much that he just used the second one at the end of the movie! :)
    Nah it's much more fun to do it like the TV show! I'm not keen on the third's titles because they're so short.

Whereas I find the Ghost Protocol ones to be far too long. I like them short. The third and first are my favourites in that regard. Different strokes and all that, I suppose.

The second wasn't bad visually either, but I don't have a strong appreciation for what Zimmer did with the theme. A decent Zimmer score but it sticks out like a sore thumb in comparison with the rest. Even Balfe, to his credit, used the bongos to good effect.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

Whereas I find the Ghost Protocol ones to be far too long. I like them short. The third and first are my favourites in that regard. Different strokes and all that, I suppose.

Yeah the GP ones are a bit too long. I enjoy them but the way Giacchino has to stretch out the theme and make it a sort of lazy version rather than the nice punchy theme it should be isn't as successful as some of the others. It's still De Palma's to beat!
    The second wasn't bad visually either, but I don't have a strong appreciation for what Zimmer did with the theme. A decent Zimmer score but it sticks out like a sore thumb in comparison with the rest. Even Balfe, to his credit, used the bongos to good effect.

Yeah there's not much about the second one which stands up well alongside the rest, really. It's watchable but it doesn't feel like a Mission movie.
    Yeah there's not much about the second one which stands up well alongside the rest, really. It's watchable but it doesn't feel like a Mission movie.

Zimmer and Woo were a perfect fit for each other but neither were a great fit for a Mission film, for sure.