Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Love the very opening of the theme on the accordion.

That made me smile. Very cool.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

👍
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Tom’s got charisma to spare, that’s for sure.
    How much say does Cruise have in these Mission films?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    How much say does Cruise have in these Mission films?

Almost all of the say.

That was very cool! :-bd
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Slightly related to this franchise, but Tom Cruise's next project after Mission Impossible 7 & 8 will be Edge of Tomorrow 2, with Doug Liman returning as director.

https://hnentertainment.co/doug-liman-says-edge-of-tomorrow-sequel-script-ready-may-shoot-once-tom-cruise-finishes-next-two-mission-impossible-movies/
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    That's really unfortunate. There used to be a time when Cruise did much more interesting films. Action schlock is all he seems to be doing now. Maybe it's because Hollywood isn't interested in doing movies like RAIN MAN or A FEW GOOD MEN anymore, but I would assume he had enough clout to make those kind of projects again. When was the last time he was actually working with an interesting director like Spielberg or De Palma?

That's really unfortunate. There used to be a time when Cruise did much more interesting films. Action schlock is all he seems to be doing now. Maybe it's because Hollywood isn't interested in doing movies like RAIN MAN or A FEW GOOD MEN anymore, but I would assume he had enough clout to make those kind of projects again. When was the last time he was actually working with an interesting director like Spielberg or De Palma?
    Yeah, good point. That was one of the things that made him a great performer was the ability to shift from action to drama, and people who slammed him didn't always take into account that roster of talented directors, it's endless. It's like the older he gets the more he feels like he has to do more and crazier action to escape feeling his age.

I'm sure Christopher Nolan, Tarantino, Jordan Peele or any other number of hot directors would like to work with him.

Possibly he not trying to escape his age but knows it’s now or never for these physically demanding films. More power to him. He’ll have time to do other things later.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Possibly he not trying to escape his age but knows it’s now or never for these physically demanding films. More power to him. He’ll have time to do other things later.
    Good possibility there. He's still one of my favorite actors, regardless.
  • Slightly related to this franchise, but Tom Cruise's next project after Mission Impossible 7 & 8 will be Edge of Tomorrow 2, with Doug Liman returning as director.

https://hnentertainment.co/doug-liman-says-edge-of-tomorrow-sequel-script-ready-may-shoot-once-tom-cruise-finishes-next-two-mission-impossible-movies/
    I really enjoyed Edge of Tomorrow. Really fun movie! Glad it's getting a sequel, but it seems to be such a huge gap between films.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    Slightly related to this franchise, but Tom Cruise's next project after Mission Impossible 7 & 8 will be Edge of Tomorrow 2, with Doug Liman returning as director.

I really enjoyed Edge of Tomorrow. Really fun movie! Glad it's getting a sequel, but it seems to be such a huge gap between films.

It’s a brilliant film, but it does seem like a one-shot idea: how will they do a sequel?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

That's why I was happy to recently see him in something like American Made. Something different from his bread and butter action roles.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 5,767
    I think his career was a bit on a downslope when M:I3 have him a slight boost again, and then M:I4 brought him right on course again. So I´m not surprised he´s loyal to those films that hold up his career. There´s also no shame in making solid entertainment movies. He seems a bit caught up lately in this I-do-all-my-stunts-myself thing, but as long as a teaser for a Top Gun sequel after 35 years takes my breath away, I don´t complain :-). As @talos7 mentions, he doesn´t have too many years left for those extreme stunts, so unless he gets careless about life itself he will do other stuff in a few years.

It´s about time jumps, so who cares about the gap ;-)?

mtm wrote: »

It’s a brilliant film, but it does seem like a one-shot idea: how will they do a sequel?
    Well, that´s easy: Didn´t get the two protagonists exposed to the alien creature´s blood or something? So, now, with their alien-altered DNA, their having their baby, and try to imagine what that little bastard will be like ;-).
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 4,400
    I rewatched Fallout last night - it's a great movie, but I feel it lacked the sense of mischief and flamboyance that made Rogue Nation the best film in the series.

In fact, it feels like a very conscious choice by McQuarrie to channel his inner Christopher Nolan and make a darker, more dour and grim film. Which I personally love. I think Rob Hardy's visuals are stunning. I adore that crisp winter-sun aesthetic:

DxJ9s0ZWkAElB6m?format=jpg&name=large

D6-uYjRW4AIjcxY?format=jpg&name=large

D317STHU4AIjStC?format=jpg&name=large

DrbhVd-U0AADhzn?format=jpg&name=large

DrbiMAiVAAAnPvc?format=jpg&name=large

Henry Cavill's performance was better than I remembered. But the action scenes are jaw-dropping. Tom Cruise is still the best 'visual effect' in the business. The third act is unbelievably engrossing and an example of cinema in its purest form. The helicopter stunts and the final fight are some of the best staged action sequences in modern filmmaking.

Paris and London are also stellar. There are a lot of smaller grace notes in the film that are overlooked, such as the moment with the female police officer and the coquettish scenes with White Widow.

But there is no denying that the plot is convoluted and confusing. There are way too many characters and the film is about as deep as a puddle. I spent most of the time (even on my second viewing) confused and a little lost. McQuarrie's script is laden was dodgy exposition.

Despite being a very 'empty calories' film, it has a grim and portenous tone which is seemingly saying 'take me seriously.' Which is kinda difficult to do.

The real trick would have been to place the focus on Ethan and Ilsa. They are the most interesting characters.

McQuarrie really needs a writer. He can clearly film action and can do plot. But he needs sometime to make his ideas more concise. Nonetheless, Fallout is one of the best action films ever. I mean, it has real action. This film is a seriously unbelievable feat in many technical respects.
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    I want to show all these M:I movies to my daughter one day. Now that we've finished out Bond marathon - I want to show her who I think is the SECOND greatest movie spy.
    Ethan Hunt rocks. I LOVE these films!
    I rewatched Fallout last night - it's a great movie, but I feel it lacked the sense of mischief and flamboyance that made Rogue Nation the best film in the series.

In fact, it feels like a very conscious choice by McQuarrie to channel his inner Christopher Nolan and make a darker, more dour and grim film. Which I personally love. I think Rob Hardy's visuals are stunning. I adore that crisp winter-sun aesthetic:

DxJ9s0ZWkAElB6m?format=jpg&name=large

D6-uYjRW4AIjcxY?format=jpg&name=large

D317STHU4AIjStC?format=jpg&name=large

DrbhVd-U0AADhzn?format=jpg&name=large

DrbiMAiVAAAnPvc?format=jpg&name=large

Henry Cavill's performance was better than I remembered. But the action scenes are jaw-dropping. Tom Cruise is still the best 'visual effect' in the business. The third act is unbelievably engrossing and an example of cinema in its purest form. The helicopter stunts and the final fight are some of the best staged action sequences in modern filmmaking.

Paris and London are also stellar. There are a lot of smaller grace notes in the film that are overlooked, such as the moment with the female police officer and the coquettish scenes with White Widow.

But there is no denying that the plot is convoluted and confusing. There are way too many characters and the film is about as deep as a puddle. I spent most of the time (even on my second viewing) confused and a little lost. McQuarrie's script is laden was dodgy exposition.

Despite being a very 'empty calories' film, it has a grim and portenous tone which is seemingly saying 'take me seriously.' Which is kinda difficult to do.

The real trick would have been to place the focus on Ethan and Ilsa. They are the most interesting characters.

McQuarrie really needs a writer. He can clearly film action and can do plot. But he needs sometime to make his ideas more concise. Nonetheless, Fallout is one of the best action films ever. I mean, it has real action. This film is a seriously unbelievable feat in many technical respects.

Excellent review!
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Glad to see someone else also thinks rogue nation is the best in the series.
    I agree that RN is the best. I really like Fallout, but like many franchise films with ongoing story arcs, the film that wrap things up can feel a little ponderous.
    Will no time to die take inspiration from Fallout
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited October 2019 Posts: 1,165
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Fallout already felt too much like Spectre.
    Minion wrote: »
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Fallout already felt too much like Spectre.

But did it much better. 😉
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Maybe someone post this already, but I found pretty funny.

This is frickin' brilliant! =))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    But wait, there's more. It gets even weirder when "Tom" reacts to "Tom"...

Please, someone has to show that to the real Tom Cruise. :))
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2019 Posts: 14,958
    Maybe someone post this already, but I found pretty funny.

I'm impressed he does that all in one shot and is running at a decent speed!
    There's another Cruise impressionist (they did that deepfake video with him a couple of months ago) who's really good though: he literally sounds exactly the same to me! :) Is he called 'Not Tom Cruise'?
    But wait, there's more. It gets even weirder when "Tom" reacts to "Tom"...

Genius! =)) =)) =))

Please, someone has to show that to the real Tom Cruise. :))
    Tom Cruise reacting to "Tom Cruise" reacting to "Tom Cruise."
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 12,837

I don't think it's that Hollywood isn't interested in those sorts of films anymore. Think it's more a combination of those sorts of films not being able to afford him (and him not willing to lower his salary for them I guess) and him genuinely just really enjoying doing action films. He is basically as much of a stuntman as he is an actor now and he seems to love it, plus it's given him a real career renaissance, he's a lot more popular again now after a few years where people seemed to be going off him.

It is sort of a mini trend I've noticed with actors. They get to a certain age and decide to do action films because it's fun. Liam Neeson was never an action star until Taken but now that's pretty much all he does. Colin Firth got to his 50s before Kingsman came along. It is interesting. I guess when you start out you really want to be recognised for your talent and get awards and credibility and all that, and would be worried about that sort of work damaging that rep, but as you get older and more comfortable you decide to want to have fun and indulge your childhood playground fantasies a bit. After all, if you wanted to act since you were a kid, it wouldn't have been because of a film like Rain Man or Schindler's List at first would it. It would have been because you wanted to be Bond or Arnie or whoever else.

You can probably apply the same to John Hurt being Doctor Who or thespians like Ian Mckellen and Patrick Stewart doing blockbusters. Once they've been recognised and got that respect and credibility they probably loosen up a bit and decide to take more roles for the fun of them.
    BondStu wrote: »
    I want to show all these M:I movies to my daughter one day. Now that we've finished out Bond marathon - I want to show her who I think is the SECOND greatest movie spy.
    Ethan Hunt rocks. I LOVE these films!

I think that's awesome you are sharing your interests with your daughter. While mine doesn't get into Bond, we've shared the fun of the MI films. A special memory is going to see GP while it was still in the cinema as a chance to escape the emotional distress of my dad being in hospice for a couple of hours. When Hunt says "Light the fuse" leading to the credits it just transported me to a different world, which was welcome at that time.

We've since gone to RN and Fallout with her fiancé. I'm hoping we can all go to the next chapters in the upcoming years.